Forbidden West

Storm the Field

Comes out Friday. Potential GOTY based on early reviews.

Zero Dawn was one the all-time great PS4 games, and it sounds like this is a very solid sequel with some upgraded features and fixes to the few shortcomings of the original (improved melee combat, better side-quests....etc.)

I saw one review where a guy finished the main story in 37 hours and said he was only at 36% completion.  

Now I just gotta finally get my hands on a PS5.....

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Comes out Friday. Potential GOTY based on early reviews.

They have one helluva marketing campaign - Sony convinced LEGO to put out a set.  They normally don't do such promos, especially for games that aren't even out yet.

https://brickset.com/article/70843/horizon-forbidden-west-tallneck-revealed!

2 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

Given that the first game was successful and there are now tons of PS5 owners that have been waiting for ANY game at all to make their purchase worth it this game is about as close to a guaranteed smash hit as you can get.

I’m so ready to play it. This, God of War Ragnarok and the Jedi Fallen Order are the upcoming highlights 

Edited by Js1

Fuck it, think I'm gonna go ahead and pick this one up so I can play this weekend. PS4 version gets you a free next-gen upgrade. I wouldn't mind playing now and then doing it again later whenever I can finally get my hands on a PS5. I played through ZD at least 3 full times. 

Wonder if they'll do another expansion for this one like Frozen Wilds.

So, I'm about 10 hours in and feel like I've already done a lot, but the world map is still 90% hidden. Gonna end up sinking a ton of time into this one. 

I had very few complaints about ZD, but so far, this has "fixed" any shortcomings I remember. Overall, everything feels just so much more fleshed out and less paint by numbers. All of the side content (machine part hunts, relic ruins, tallnecks, rebel camps...etc.) seems to have had just as much effort put into it as the main story, and the rewards for completing them are actually useful.

• Hook 'Em 2

I have had it downloaded since Friday and haven't had any time to play. I really want to play but it wont happen until tomorrow night if I am lucky. Stupid adult responsibilities and kids sports. I am looking forward to waking up at my regular 4am Saturday and playing for a solid 4 hours before any of the freeloaders wakeup.

• Hook 'Em 2

This game is so fucking good. I think I'm a little over halfway through the main story and only at like 28% completion. Loved ZD but all of the side missions, errands, and other side content in this one are way better, and of course the improved climbing, shieldwing, and better fast travel make exploring much more enjoyable.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man idk if this is just my copy but holy fucking lag sometimes 

I had to close the game in the Gaia bunker and lost half my progress but the lag was out of control. 

Loving the game though. So beautiful 

Edited by Js1

On 2/26/2022 at 6:58 PM, Js1 said:

Man idk if this is just my copy but holy fucking lag sometimes 

I had to close the game in the Gaia bunker and lost half my progress but the lag was out of control. 

Loving the game though. So beautiful 

On what system? I've had no issues on a PS5. I can play on resolution or performance just fine, but I have to admit performance is a bit smoother. I just wish I could watch cutscenes in resolution mode. 

I find it a lot harder than zero dawn. 

1 minute ago, longhrnfan said:

On what system? I've had no issues on a PS5. I can play on resolution or performance just fine, but I have to admit performance is a bit smoother. I just wish I could watch cutscenes in resolution mode. 

PS5. It was just one section, I haven’t had issues since.  They really did improve on every aspect of ZD.  I put in about 8 hours I guess and I’ve barely done anything it feels like 

On 2/28/2022 at 7:41 AM, longhrnfan said:

I was here until the last time I got to play on Sunday. Takes a little longer than I remember in ZD to get above-average weapons. At level 18 and got my hands on this slicing hunter bow and did some part jobs to get what I needed to upgrade it (tearing off widemaw tusks is a challenge, btw). I now have advanced arrows that do solid damage and a ton of tear and can finally hold my own against mid-tier machines. 

Probably 15 hours in and still only have maybe 20% of the map revealed. Haven't done a single cauldron yet and only a handful of main story missions. Looooong way to go.

Got through the main story on Sunday evening. I got the message that you could not go back as well, but I believe that all the side quests are still available. I do not want to say that 100%, but that message threw me off. I will confirm tonight.

On 3/6/2022 at 6:43 PM, Js1 said:

At the point where I can start the final quest, but there’s no going back, so now I’m just doing completion shit. Only at 41%

Hah. Whenever I play an open-world game like this that I'm really enjoying, I inevitably avoid the main quests as much as possible and spend way too much time doing side content in order to prolong the experience. I usually end up being way overpowered, (i.e. doing a level 15 main quest at level 30). I've reached a point where I have to advance the main story in order to get access to functions that will let me do even more of the side content. 

1 hour ago, Capn81 said:

Got through the main story on Sunday evening. I got the message that you could not go back as well, but I believe that all the side quests are still available. I do not want to say that 100%, but that message threw me off. I will confirm tonight.

I know you can always go back (usually you get a save data with a + or something that means you completed it and it reloads at the final quest), I just want to prolong my playing by completing a lot before I start it (all the tall necks, cauldrons, relic ruins, drones, black boxes, 100% the overrides, etc.) 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Hah. Whenever I play an open-world game like this that I'm really enjoying, I inevitably avoid the main quests as much as possible and spend way too much time doing side content in order to prolong the experience. I usually end up being way overpowered, (i.e. doing a level 15 main quest at level 30). I've reached a point where I have to advance the main story in order to get access to functions that will let me do even more of the side content. 

Ha. This is me. I’m a level 21 and just recovered Minerva and opened up the west.

But lots of green in the East!

I am obsessed with the infiltrator style. It’s takes longer but love the silent strike method of clearing out rebel bases. Aloy is a bad bitch.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Planning to sink some time in this weekend. Haven't touched my controller since Sunday night. Not due to lack of interest or anything, I just don't feel like playing this game unless I have at least a 2 hour uninterrupted window to play. Just not a game that's worth playing an hour at a time (which is not a complaint, btw). 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:15 AM, Storm the Field said:

Planning to sink some time in this weekend. Haven't touched my controller since Sunday night. Not due to lack of interest or anything, I just don't feel like playing this game unless I have at least a 2 hour uninterrupted window to play. Just not a game that's worth playing an hour at a time (which is not a complaint, btw). 

I’ve been doing a ton of the side quests. Still intentionally ignoring the last part of the main quest.  Not shooting for 100% but I’ve gotten to about 60% in about 25 hours 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Announced like a month ago, but wanted to point out that a major DLC is coming out 4/19.

Burning Shores will be Forbidden West's equivalent to what Frozen Wilds was to Zero Dawn. New map area and quests, new machines, higher level cap. 

Only available for the PS5 version.

Sad to admit that I put probably 40 hours into the PS4 version but never actually finished it. Hit the level cap while still having a decent chunk of main story left and just lost motivation to keep slogging through. Took a break for a while and when I tried to pick it back up, I just couldn't get back into it. Finally got my hands on a PS5 late last Fall, so I'll probably start a brand new playthrough this Spring after grabbing Burning Shores.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

Guerrilla Games rather casually announced over the weekend that there will be at least one more Horizon game. In a press release about internal promotions, they said

"We have full confidence in our new leadership as they steer Guerrilla towards a bright future, expanding the world of Horizon with Aloy's next adventure and our exciting online project."

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Guerrilla Games rather casually announced over the weekend that there will be at least one more Horizon game. In a press release about internal promotions, they said

I’d have been shocked if there wasn’t a third installment. The expansion spent quite a bit of time hyping up 

Spoiler

Nemesis

I’m sure they making plenty off of the series