2022 NASCAR thread

Prepuce of Doom

5 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Predictable restrictor plate/nascar rules crap at the end as usual. At least Austin Dillon didn't win. 

Yep. This sport has become such a mess, I'm not even sure they could find their way back if they tried. Longest Daytona 500 ever, and nobody even knew who had won at the end.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Lulz. Even the French are making fun of the race.

En francais ... Translation: " only year when Stenhouse doesn't cause a crash, he wins the race"

Guillaume Vachey sur Twitter : "La seule année ou Stenhouse ne provoque pas un crash, il gagne la course #NASCAR #Daytona500" / Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

So let me start off by saying I obviously am not a racer, never raced, don't know shit about the specs of cars and all the dynamics that go into it etc.  I know people will have a differing opinion than this and I am good with that, this is just my thinking on the last couple races.  

So in Vegas Truex was in i think 4th and then stayed out while everyone pitted for the Overtime.  So he starts 1st and then of course gets passed by multiple guys so ends up 7th.  My issue isn't so much with people questioning Truex's call to stay out, my issue is why the fuck aren't the people in 14th-18th staying out?  Between this and then the same thing at PHX, I just find it to be some pussy ass stuff it seems like. 

So in Vegas say Truex stays out and 3 other cars stay out behind him.  So they have first two rows on restart.  That provides at least some congestion for the pitted cars to have to get through.  Possibly they don't do it in 2 laps?  Possibly they do, but worse case is the dudes who were running at the end of the lead lap cars would seem to have a much higher probability of finishing higher than say 18th.  By pitting 18th, coming out restarting 18th, how many spots are they really going to move up when everyone else pitted too?  At least if they are in the front (key word here...) WITH other non pitted cars they could potentially do some blocking and no fall all the way back to 18th in 2 laps.  

Same thing happened at PHX....everyone pitted and took the 2 tires except Harvick who was the leader took 4, then came out in like 5th for the restart and couldn't make up the ground to get back to 1st.  Cars at the end of the line running 19, 20, 21 etc seem like they  should have just stayed out and jumped to the front of the line and then see what happens.  OK if they get passed by all 20 cars in 2 laps who cares?  They were already running 20th on a track where no one can pass anyone as it is.  But maybe, just maybe, they present an issue and one of them wins the damn thing, or they only drop half the spots and end up with a top 10 finish etc.  

Like I said I am not claiming to be a know it all or expert or anything, just strategy stuff that I would think would give their car more options with 2 laps to go than just standing pat as the 19th car and oh well we will follow everyone else to pits and come back out 19th and then just run the 2 laps.  Fuck shit up and see what happens man! 

/tldr just trying to get some talk on this thread go ahead and call me an idoit 

• 2 weeks later...

Not much buzz for NASCAR at COTA this weekend. Actually, like no buzz at all. A little surprised. My kid and I will be out there some. SMI knows how to run a race, so it's not the usual COTA shitshow. Cheap tickets and free parking outside Lot A.

I was also looking for a 2023 thread. Did I just miss it?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/15/2023 at 11:02 AM, Scraps said:

So let me start off by saying I obviously am not a racer, never raced, don't know shit about the specs of cars and all the dynamics that go into it etc.  I know people will have a differing opinion than this and I am good with that, this is just my thinking on the last couple races.  

So in Vegas Truex was in i think 4th and then stayed out while everyone pitted for the Overtime.  So he starts 1st and then of course gets passed by multiple guys so ends up 7th.  My issue isn't so much with people questioning Truex's call to stay out, my issue is why the fuck aren't the people in 14th-18th staying out?  Between this and then the same thing at PHX, I just find it to be some pussy ass stuff it seems like. 

So in Vegas say Truex stays out and 3 other cars stay out behind him.  So they have first two rows on restart.  That provides at least some congestion for the pitted cars to have to get through.  Possibly they don't do it in 2 laps?  Possibly they do, but worse case is the dudes who were running at the end of the lead lap cars would seem to have a much higher probability of finishing higher than say 18th.  By pitting 18th, coming out restarting 18th, how many spots are they really going to move up when everyone else pitted too?  At least if they are in the front (key word here...) WITH other non pitted cars they could potentially do some blocking and no fall all the way back to 18th in 2 laps.  

Same thing happened at PHX....everyone pitted and took the 2 tires except Harvick who was the leader took 4, then came out in like 5th for the restart and couldn't make up the ground to get back to 1st.  Cars at the end of the line running 19, 20, 21 etc seem like they  should have just stayed out and jumped to the front of the line and then see what happens.  OK if they get passed by all 20 cars in 2 laps who cares?  They were already running 20th on a track where no one can pass anyone as it is.  But maybe, just maybe, they present an issue and one of them wins the damn thing, or they only drop half the spots and end up with a top 10 finish etc.  

Like I said I am not claiming to be a know it all or expert or anything, just strategy stuff that I would think would give their car more options with 2 laps to go than just standing pat as the 19th car and oh well we will follow everyone else to pits and come back out 19th and then just run the 2 laps.  Fuck shit up and see what happens man! 

/tldr just trying to get some talk on this thread go ahead and call me an idoit 

if those guys further back stay out they will get absolutely smoked by those with new tires, but I do agree it would be more fun to watch them at least try 

• Like 1

if those guys further back stay out they will get absolutely smoked by those with new tires, but I do agree it would be more fun to watch them at least try 
Oh no doubt but the worst they can do is fall right back to where they were as last cars on lead lap...so might as well try to fuck shit up lol

Allmendinger is just pimping slapping these fools in Xfinity.

He was 1st, then went all the way back to 30th. Managed to run through the whole field and got back up to 1st in what seemed to be maybe 8 laps. Now has been up there with 9 to go

• Hook 'Em 1

I know I said earlier that there was absolutely no buzz anywhere about this race, but dang, man. There might have been 5-7000 people out there today. It's a well-run event by SMI, too, with good racing today in the Xfinity race. 

• Like 1

no cautions at the end of the stages, kimi with 3 words for the 'grid walk' (which consisted of denny hamlin, kimi, and jensen's daughter)

the micing for this broadcast sucks.  it's nascar i should hear the V8s more than the commentators.

guess that's actually just the sound mixing. 

Edited by elfenix

I guess now I have a new NASCAR driver to like ...

Upset Alex Bowman Doesn’t Mince Words, Blasts NASCAR for Putting Drivers in Box and Producing ‘Embarrassing’ Racing at COTA https://www.sportscasting.com/alex-bowman-blasts-nascar-putting-drivers-box-producing-embarrassing-racing-cota/

“It’s such a box that we’re all in,” Bowman said. “It’s so dumb how we have to race each other. It’s not OK by any means. But it’s what we do. It’s somewhat embarrassing, but at some point, you’re here to finish well for your sponsors. It’s a matter of losing 10 spots. You can’t be the one clean guy at the end.”

He wasn’t done and delivered more harsh remarks moments later.  

“Yeah, the problem is if you don’t peek out and bomb the guy in front of you, the guy behind you does it to you,” he said. “What are you going to do there, right? It’s not right. The way we race is embarrassing. If 12-year-olds were doing it, we would be yelling at them, but here we are saying it’s the best, and we’re all on TV.” 

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...