Outdoor Grills

HoustonHorn

Anyone with experience with the following brands:

Bull, Coyote, Hestan?

What about the other products, e.g. side burners, sinks, ice makers, etc.?

Seems like Hestan is easily the best (and most expensive). Coyote doesn't seem to have great reviews while Bull is somewhere in between based on preliminary googlefu, but I'm interested in anyone's personal experience.

I'm leaning against the coyote and thinking about going with the Hestan Grill with everything else Bull to reduce costs. The Hestan grill has some nice and useful features. I'm still waiting on the quote so that could instantly change once that comes in. Bull is the backup plan based on what I've researched.

At those price ranges should probably also be taking a look at Lynx.  I have one that my dad passed down to me when he upgraded. It's a solid grill other than the lighters are fucking expensive as shit to replace when you need to rebuild them. 

Lynx is definitely top rated and fantastic. I do like a few features of the Hestan more - the extra wide grates, overhead rotisserie/broiler, completely concealed rotisserie, and auto-lights. Apparently Hestan is used by Thomas Keller at French Laundry so while not as well known in outdoor kitchens, certainly has some credibility. 

The burner assembly does look a little smaller but I think it may provide better overall coverage and even heat. I don't think that's going to be a serious issue on any of the grills at this level. Each burner puts out 25k Btu/hour and the variable ceramic burner has 25k Btu, along with the rotisserie at 18k Btu.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

FIL has and RCS and while it looks nice, I don't think it gets hot enough. Not sure what series off the top of my head though.

Reviews that I've seen are mixed on the RCS so leaning away from it.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

Never heard of Hestan but damn those look badass.

Yeah, they really do. I just hope I can get the wife to agree once she actually sees the cost. She does agree that the grill is the big dollar item and doesn't mind paying a premium for it. But its going to be a pretty big pill to swallow.

Several years ago I got one of those 22-inch Weber kettle knock-off, Masterbuilt Pro, at Home Depot for $50. One of the best purchases ever. Damn good grill.

I have an old gas grill, but I only use it rarely when I'm cooking for a bunch of people that really don't give a shit and it isn't worth the trouble of messing with charcoal. It's OK for hot dogs and burgers.

Yeah, they really do. I just hope I can get the wife to agree once she actually sees the cost. She does agree that the grill is the big dollar item and doesn't mind paying a premium for it. But its going to be a pretty big pill to swallow.
If you're staying in the house for a while it may be worth it. Someday I'll have a long-term house where I'll be willing to dump some money into things like that.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, JSB said:

Haven't been in the market since we built our house 5 years ago, but I went with a DCS similar to this https://www.bbqguys.com/dcs/professional-36-inch-built-in-natural-gas-grill-with-rotisserie-bh1-36r-n

302e6a702cd725af9fd20b9e727c2cb1.jpg

and I've been very happy with it.  Gets hot as shit and can put a really nice sear on whatever I'm grilling

That's definitely a nice looking grill and has good reviews. Probably in my top two with the Hestan.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Old thread but this is probably the place for it.  We went with Coyote so I will let you all know in a year or two if I'm an idiot, but the price was right. 

My outdoor kitchen is starting to go in on Wednesday and will provide pics when complete.  Went with large austin chopped stone for facade and a dark soapstone for counter.  Putting in a grill and refrigerator and left room in the middle for a sink but not sure if I will ever put that in or not because of how close it is to our indoor kitchen.  

9 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

If you’re gonna have an outdoor sink, add a garbage disposal to it and it needs to be a decent size. Never understood the bar sink outside. 

Thanks. That was my concern. I don’t have a need for a plain bar sink, and it’s literally right outside the door to our inside kitchen, so I don’t really need a full one either. The disposal means I need some more plumbing work done so I may just go without and eventually put in an ice maker or something else in that spot.

Old thread but this is probably the place for it.  We went with Coyote so I will let you all know in a year or two if I'm an idiot, but the price was right. 
My outdoor kitchen is starting to go in on Wednesday and will provide pics when complete.  Went with large austin chopped stone for facade and a dark soapstone for counter.  Putting in a grill and refrigerator and left room in the middle for a sink but not sure if I will ever put that in or not because of how close it is to our indoor kitchen.  

Have an outdoor sink. Didn’t build it. If you put one in make sure you think through how to insulate the piles and/or how to cut off the water in the winter. Otherwise yours will be a giant pain in the ass just like mine.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mack Tripper said:

I’m thinking of putting in something similar. About how much did that cost? Did you have to run a gas line very far?

Had the gas plumbed in as part of new construction so I couldn’t tell you on that front. I’ll ask the builder though.

Whole kitchen was 12k but 3500 of that was the very particular stone I wanted for the counter and I bought the entire slab. Probably overpaid by a thousand or two but I wanted the job done right away and the value builders were estimating a 6 week wait and throwing around the idea of cinderblock and wood frames lol.

22 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Had the gas plumbed in as part of new construction so I couldn’t tell you on that front. I’ll ask the builder though.

Whole kitchen was 12k but 3500 of that was the very particular stone I wanted for the counter and I bought the entire slab. Probably overpaid by a thousand or two but I wanted the job done right away and the value builders were estimating a 6 week wait and throwing around the idea of cinderblock and wood frames lol.

Thanks - looks good.