Anybody built an outhouse?

markstanco

Tons of plans online. Building one for my lease next month.

My question is what would you have done different. We have a tractor with an auger that can go down 3 feet. I was thinking drill 3 holes side by side. There will be 4 guys using it, and usually twice a month we go there in the fall and winter.

About to do the same.  Drill your holes in a 2x2 or 2x3 and use a hand post hole digger and shovels to clear out the middle.  Tin on the inside front to keep piss from rotting the wood is a good idea and I’m more a fan of a real toilet seat.  Be sure to stock up on corn cobs and sears catalogs.

Forgot to add that according to @mooseoutfront you need to get a dedicated shit poking stick to knock down the pile if it gets too close to the seat.

This guy has a pretty good off grid YouTube channel (he has been on a couple of seasons of Alone) and has built several cabins and outhouses.

Edited by davidg
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Currently we walk about 150 yards and lean against our farmers numerous implements in the hot, cold, and rain. This will be better.

Savages, I see.  Carry on.  

In all seriousness as deep and you can get it is probably the correct answer. With lots of ventilation. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Currently we walk about 150 yards and lean against our farmers numerous implements in the hot, cold, and rain. This will be better.

I got tired of doing the same except leaning on a tree or log.  For the interim I just built a quick square frame with legs out of 2x6s and slapped a toilet seat on top.  I’m ok with it but my wife wants something a little less al fresco when we are at the place without our rv.

Whatever you build be sure to put it on 4x4 or 4x6 skids so you can easily  move it if you need to dig a new hole.

12 hours ago, davidg said:

Whatever you build be sure to put it on 4x4 or 4x6 skids so you can easily  move it if you need to dig a new hole.

That is a given.  Our farmer/land owner is 80 so we want to keep it mobile in case his 'kids' kick us off.  That is likely to happen because we are paying WAY under market value for his property.  2000 acres for $8000 total and that includes electricity.  But he likes us and we help with a lot of mowing and pick up after ourselves.  

13 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I have not personally built one, but my buddy's Baffin Bay cabin has an outhouse with a composting toilet.  I'm guessing they're a few hundred bucks new.

Probably going to not go that direction......  https://www.homedepot.com/b/Bath-Toilets-Composting-Toilets/N-5yc1vZcb8q

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:

That is a given.  Our farmer/land owner is 80 so we want to keep it mobile in case his 'kids' kick us off.  That is likely to happen because we are paying WAY under market value for his property.  2000 acres for $8000 total and that includes electricity.  But he likes us and we help with a lot of mowing and pick up after ourselves.  

Stinks, but the reality of things these days as land is passed down over the generations.  

You could build a homemade septic system?  Worse case scenario, if you do get booted, leave it for the next group?

Septic system

Or look at cheaper options

61FB+8z13AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

We built an outhouse in my warehouse.  Marine grade plywood floor wrapped in Grace IWS then astro turf with the edges of the floor bracketed in 24-ga.  galvalume.  The deck was 5' x 10' and also acted as a landing outside the can.  The rough frame was all treated yellow-pine, 5/8" cdx sheathing covered in Grace IWS.  We screwed on 26-ga. galvalume 5-V crimp wall panels and roof; both trimmed in matching galvalume.  The door had a crescent moon and the "poop" deck where the toilet seat is had 24-ga. stainless steel covering the wood frame.  There was a magazine rack and a drink holder.

We disassembled it, numbered and lettered the pieces, metal banded it, loaded it on to a flat bed and drove it all the way to our elk camp in Colorado.  Once there, we reassembled it and had the nicest shitter on the mountain.  The ranch owner was so pleased with that and the other work we did for him we (one other guy and me that did all the work) never paid for elk hunting again.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Stinks, but the reality of things these days as land is passed down over the generations.  

You could build a homemade septic system?  Worse case scenario, if you do get booted, leave it for the next group?

Septic system

I was thinking the same thing. We use these when camping with the set up in the picture above. The bags go right in the trash when done. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Portable-Toilet-Waste-Bags-with-Bio-Gel-6-Pack/14550463?athbdg=L1600

Ozark Trail Portable Toilet Waste Bags with Bio-Gel 6 Pack

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Steve Rinella and his newly formed association:  "Official A.S.S" movement agrees with this post

*anti-surface-shitting

This is great.  I hate nothing more that public outdoor spaces that people have shit on top of the ground, wiped and left.    Dig a fucking hole you cretin.

As a scout leader who many times brought the troop dry camping on his own family land, we went through a lot of training regarding shitting in the outdoors.  The scouts actually enjoyed digging a trench latrine and using it over the weekend.

Some good info from the BSA Fieldbook  :  BSA Fieldbook Waste 33104-09.pdf

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Agreed.  I guess I just don't shit outside regularly like you folks do.  

A bear and a rabbit are taking a shit in the woods.

Bear turns to the rabbit and says, "Excuse me, do you have problems with shit sticking to your fur?"

The rabbit says, "No."

So the bear wiped his ass with the rabbit.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Septic system

I keep one of these for the girls to use to keep my black tank from being overfilled with only urine (4 females).  Bought an aggy bucket from Lowes.  It only took 2-3 trips for the ags to catch on and throw away my piss bucket.  Was still worth it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

2000 acres for $8000 total and that includes electricity.

Yeah, that's not really the kids coming in and fucking everybody type of deal.  I'm in a different area, and we are on a under market deal for the current contract, but pay 6x that ac/rate.  I get it different parts of the state and whatnot, but still.  You've got an absolute steal going on. 

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, that's not really the kids coming in and fucking everybody type of deal.  I'm in a different area, and we are on a under market deal for the current contract, but pay 6x that ac/rate.  I get it different parts of the state and whatnot, but still.  You've got an absolute steal going on. 

That's insanely low.  We charge more than that for 4 hunters and have the acreage and we're lower than anyone we know that leases.  You might want to "suggest" if/when the kids take over that you recognize how low the lease rate is and that you are willing to raise it to be a little closer to what the market supports.  

The bucket shitter is legit. I take this rig camping.  The Reliance Double Doodie bags combine bio gel and a double bag fit for a 5 gallon bucket. A fresh bag for every dump, double bagged, no spills, no smell, and toss it in the first trash can you find on your way back to civilization.   Add in some wet wipes and it’s a very pleasant means of busting a grumpy in the wilderness. 
A9E17660-F607-4665-8A69-5631D9B380DF.thumb.jpeg.2cbddf90f2ae434aee91dc7971e495d2.jpeg

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

The bucket shitter is legit. I take this rig camping.  The Reliance Double Doodie bags combine bio gel and a double bag fit for a 5 gallon bucket. A fresh bag for every dump, double bagged, no spills, no smell, and toss it in the first trash can you find on your way back to civilization.   Add in some wet wipes and it’s a very pleasant means of busting a grumpy in the wilderness. 
A9E17660-F607-4665-8A69-5631D9B380DF.thumb.jpeg.2cbddf90f2ae434aee91dc7971e495d2.jpeg

Looks like you started to dig a hole, said F it, and got the growler bucket...;)

On 2/21/2022 at 7:30 PM, markstanco said:

Tons of plans online. Building one for my lease next month.

My question is what would you have done different. We have a tractor with an auger that can go down 3 feet. I was thinking drill 3 holes side by side. There will be 4 guys using it, and usually twice a month we go there in the fall and winter.

3 holer? Kinky. 

Butt seriously, bumper dumper. 

I had one of these collapse on me at an old deer camp.  Smashed my giblets and pecker on the rocks and dirt and had poop all up my backside. 

Had my annual physical the following Monday.  My junk was all black and blue.  Doc cast an dubious and incredulous eye on me when I told how this came about.

Never again.

PLAYBERG Non-electric Waterless Toilet, Folding Portable Toilet Seat for  Camping and Hiking with Back Rests QI003448 - The Home Depot

• Haha 4

I hate to laugh at another man's misfortune, but..... that's some funny shit right there.

I spent most of my childhood shitting in deer camp outhouses and have always hated it.  We had a lease off of the Willow City loop where I shot my first deer and the outhouse was so rank that I'd hang on to the column holding up the roof on the back porch and shit into the canyon below instead of going in there. 

The deeper the better on the hole and keep a sack of hydrated lime or at least ash from the fire pit around to knock down the stench a bit.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/22/2022 at 2:43 PM, davidg said:

This is great.  I hate nothing more that public outdoor spaces that people have shit on top of the ground, wiped and left.    Dig a fucking hole you cretin.

Hey man, it was a peaceful protest, and the driveway was too hard to dig!

https://nypost.com/2020/09/14/youtuber-livestreams-himself-taking-poop-on-nancy-pelosis-driveway/?

My FIL grew up without indoor plumbing.  Shucked corn cobs for TP.  Snakes in the summer, -20 in the winter.  Sounds awful, and you have to pump it out at some point.

When I was a kid we had a family friend with land in the Driftless where he hunted deer and turkey.  He was a believer in the bucket toilet.  It was a very convenient rig.  The "cabin" was perched atop a 30' road cut cliff, and when you were done you emptied it by dumping over the cliff into the road ditch below.

#teambuckettoilet

There’s always an outhouse story.

I was at a Boy Scout Camp Iyataka on Big Stone Lake in SD c. 1970.  There was an old outhouse along a trail. It had a box bench seat with multiple holes cut in it, seats were mounted on the top…luxury at it’s finest. Below the seat bench on either side were screened ventilation openings.  

One of the dad/leaders from from another troop went in there to crap. A buddy and I noticed that the screen was peeling back on one end, so we had an idea. We found a tree branch, got on the ground and stuck it through the opening in the screen. Just when the prairie dog stuck his head out of the hole, we jabbed it with the stick. We giggled like girls when he screamed and the prairie dog ducked back into it’s hole. The dad heard us, but we were long gone down the trail before he could get his pants up to catch us.

Thus the origins of the term prairie dogging. Some call it gophering. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

While on safari we had dinner in the bush one evening.  Our driver grabbed a shovel, dug a hole, and set a tailgating chair with a hole in the seat over the hole.  It was about 30 feet from where we were eating  and was only partially hidden  behind a large tree trunk. He told us it was for emergencies only.  The women weren’t impressed with this arrangement.  As dinner is winding down, a really cute British woman very tepidly got up from the table and walked over to the bush toilet.  And she proceeded to blow it out.  It was loud enough to startle a group of elephants in the distance.  One of the guides drove her back to camp, and she wasn’t at breakfast the following morning. 

• Haha 4

On 2/25/2022 at 3:24 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

There’s always an outhouse story.

I was at a Boy Scout Camp Iyataka on Big Stone Lake in SD c. 1970.  There was an old outhouse along a trail. It had a box bench seat with multiple holes cut in it, seats were mounted on the top…luxury at it’s finest. Below the seat bench on either side were screened ventilation openings.  

One of the dad/leaders from from another troop went in there to crap. A buddy and I noticed that the screen was peeling back on one end, so we had an idea. We found a tree branch, got on the ground and stuck it through the opening in the screen. Just when the prairie dog stuck his head out of the hole, we jabbed it with the stick. We giggled like girls when he screamed and the prairie dog ducked back into it’s hole. The dad heard us, but we were long gone down the trail before he could get his pants up to catch us.

Thus the origins of the term prairie dogging. Some call it gophering. 

I assume had you been across the lake in Minnesota, you'd have had to gone with "Gophering".

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2022 at 9:25 AM, BabaYaga said:

Septic system

Just be careful when you are shit faced drunk, falling off of one of these things can make quite a mess.

Edited by SHOOTER12