Fake English Company convinced dozens to work remotely for them for as long as 5 months

AUS-97HORN

crazy story based out of London, but involving multiple countries..

the TL;DR is a "company" that had daily zoom calls with all its execs and new hires and employees, was pretty much totally fake,  and you wonder, if you worked that long, but didnt get pay, why did you keep working? simple, they were told they were on a 6 months commission only contract.  

And since it was the height of the pandemic, many folks who lost their jobs were desperate and started "working" remotely for the company for months with the promise of future commission checks.

It took BBC News Months to even put together the whole story

18 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

crazy story based out of London, but involving multiple countries..

the TL;DR is a "company" that had daily zoom calls with all its execs and new hires and employees, was pretty much totally fake,  and you wonder, if you worked that long, but didnt get pay, why did you keep working? simple, they were told they were on a 6 months commission only contract.  

And since it was the height of the pandemic, many folks who lost their jobs were desperate and started "working" remotely for the company for months with the promise of future commission checks.

It took BBC News Months to even put together the whole story

"WHere's my paycheck, breh?!" 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

The story makes it seem that the sales people attempted to sign clients but I assume they all failed to produce any results.

If you could convince people to work for you for free, it would seem that you could also give away the work for free, at least initially. 

crazy story. I bet there are several documentaries in the works that we will see on Netflix in the upcoming years.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The story makes it seem that the sales people attempted to sign clients but I assume they all failed to produce any results.

If you could convince people to work for you for free, it would seem that you could also give away the work for free, at least initially. 

crazy story. I bet there are several documentaries in the works that we will see on Netflix in the upcoming years.

It's also possible that some of the clients DID pay money, and the con artist pocketed it, without telling any of the employees.

A few years ago people worked for a landman  broker out in west Texas, some for up to four months without getting paid.  (that’s just stupid also). These people were footing the bill for their own lodging and expenses the whole time without pay.  The guy never paid anyone and took off, I think he just got sentenced to a few years in prison.