Texas vs TCU 6pm on ESPN2

shadow_operative

Just now, dcar00 said:

basically zero Askew/Febres/Disu in the 2nd half.

Yeah, they showed a stat that said Texas got 2 points from the bench. 

I'm looking at the box score right now. 5 rebounds, 1 assist (Askew with the nifty sidearm toss inside to Allen under the bucket), 3 personal fouls. Oh, and about two dozen tie ups by Brock.

It's funny after all the talk about how deep this team is. I'm interested to see the minutes played.

It's interesting to see how different the dynamic is now sans Mitchell.

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm looking at the box score right now. 5 rebounds, 1 assist (Askew with the nifty sidearm toss inside to Allen under the bucket), 3 personal fouls. Oh, and about two dozen tie ups by Brock.

It's funny after all the talk about how deep this team is. I'm interested to see the minutes played.

it appears deep because there really isn't a ton of separation in athleticism between the top guys and the 8th or 9th guy but our top 5 or 6 are pretty obvious.  Beard is going to have to manage the minutes better without Mitchell for sure.

• Like 1

It's poor form to brag, but ... I took one for the team today.

Watched the entire first half, only to see our 'Horns trailing by 5 at intermission. Missed the opening few minutes of the second, but observed that they had closed the gap to a single point, 37-36, by the time I returned. But the Toads quickly expanded their advantage to double digits, 48-38.

I had no choice but to stop watching. Almost immediately, Texas cut the deficit in half, 50-45. Then 50-48.

My fandom screamed at me to turn the stream back to ESPN2, but I remained steadfast, even as Texas first tied, 50-50, then took the lead, 52-50.

As that lead grew--first to 3, then 5, 6, 7, and even 8 points--I told myself it would be OK to rejoin the action. But my superstitious side knew better.

In all seriousness, what a great effort from all in burnt orange tonight. They didn't have their best stuff, but they refused to lose and willed their way to a critical win. Happy No.20, fellas!

• Hook 'Em 7

3 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

As @shadow_operativehas said many times depth is drastically overrated at this time of the year. It comes down to your 6 or 7 best players. 

Some guys are still getting too many minutes. Mainly Febres. 

Texas went on that run in the 2nd half with their 5 best players (i.e. the starters). 

The start of this thread did not age well. It would have been unusual for any team to continue the unconscious shooting TCU had in the first half. I think Beard made good half time adjustments. He was dying on that 3/4 to 1/2 court press and he used it more strategically in the second half. And it was subtle, but Carr played more heads up last night and didn't get himself trapped under the basket or in the corner. TCU absolutely would have taken advantage of the turnovers with fast breaks and they have the athletes to punish teams on the fast break.   Texas has not seen a lot of "pretty" wins but that is Beard's style and this team sits at 20 wins and hopefully enough momentum to take on Baylor in a few days.

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's poor form to brag, but ... I took one for the team today.

Watched the entire first half, only to see our 'Horns trailing by 5 at intermission. Missed the opening few minutes of the second, but observed that they had closed the gap to a single point, 37-36, by the time I returned. But the Toads quickly expanded their advantage to double digits, 48-38.

I had no choice but to stop watching. Almost immediately, Texas cut the deficit in half, 50-45. Then 50-48.

My fandom screamed at me to turn the stream back to ESPN2, but I remained steadfast, even as Texas first tied, 50-50, then took the lead, 52-50.

As that lead grew--first to 3, then 5, 6, 7, and even 8 points--I told myself it would be OK to rejoin the action. But my superstitious side knew better.

In all seriousness, what a great effort from all in burnt orange tonight. They didn't have their best stuff, but they refused to lose and willed their way to a critical win. Happy No.20, fellas!

Since we are in the share group, from my end I noticed our run started to happen once I turned on the sound bar in my living room.  (That buzzing from the ESPN broadcast also stopped once the sound bar was on.)

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Goodman said:

Pretty sure Allen has $ on TCU, what an awful performance.

WTF?  Allen was great as usual. Weird post. 

20 hours ago, dcar00 said:

carr is just out of control too much.

Had a great game last night. He is a frustrating player because the talent is clearly there. He is so Jekyl and Hyde though. 

20 hours ago, Goodman said:

Our entire team is playing like they’re high af.

Weirder post. 

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Decent shot Texas will get toads again in B12 tournament....

#4 seed vs #5 seed

ISU will take over Frogs at 5 seed. But we should play 9 seed as KU and either Baylor or Tech will get a 1st round bye. Right?

20 hours ago, dcar00 said:

basically zero Askew/Febres/Disu in the 2nd half.

As it should be. Outside of a few games, Disu has been JAG. Febres has been overrated and a worse-than-average D-1 player his whole career. If he’s not knocking down 3s, he shouldn’t get more than 3-4 minutes per game. I’d rather play Jones, Carr, Ramey 35 minutes apiece than play Febres more than that. If you need to spell them more than that and you can’t configure a lineup with Allen or Brock playing some three, put in Askew, but he must learn to finish. I cannot believe such an offensively challenged player started at Kentucky. 

It looked like last night Beard had a new wrinkle for Carr where they would set a double screen and let him come off the ball in the midrange. 

Carr scored 2 or 3 times off that same play on a bank shot. 

I don't think I've seen that all season but Texas should do more of that. Carr isn't a great creator but I think he can still score if put in the right situation.