Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You let me know if you ever reach one of them. In all my years of ignoring trolls, I’ve never seen anyone quote a post that made me decide to stop ignoring them. Get Anastasis to admit that there was some shady stuff going on between Trump and the Russians and maybe I’ll reconsider. 

I am truly sorry that you fell for obvious disinformation like the Steele Dossier.  I understand that you do not like the fact that I pushed back on the shit in there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

of course this is a concern, but  I'll go out on a limb and say that's not going to happen. I mean, I don't know the ins and outs of the Russian chain of command especially wrt nukes, but I don't think he actually pushes the button. That's important. But I also don't think he has the confidence of the military right now and this may give them the out they need to get him out of power. I think Putin fucked himself worse than that horse did Catherine the Great (allegedly)

Here’s someone who does know the ins and outs and everything else. He is still concerned

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Anyone who thinks Putin would never use a tactical nuke is a fool.

100% would not put it past him to try to thread that needle between deploying a battlefield nuke and expecting the restraint of the west to prevent the triggering of full scale global nuclear war. Motherfucker is unhinged. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Of course he might. We can’t let him dictate the actions of the rest of the world based on that threat

Well, I certainly don't think anyone else should strike first.  That said, there needs to be (and I expect there is) actions behind the scenes to get him ousted, preferably in the most permanent way.  The financial noose the west is tightening on Russia makes that an increasingly more likely possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, I certainly don't think anyone else should strike first.  That said, there needs to be (and I expect there is) actions behind the scenes to get him ousted, preferably in the most permanent way.  The financial noose the west is tightening on Russia makes that an increasingly more likely possibility.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/02/how-the-west-should-respond-to-putins-nuclear-provocation/622943/

We should do nothing (the argument in the article).

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Rimon 20 (Hebrew: רימון 20, Pomegranate 20) was the code name of an aerial battle in 1970 which pitted the Israeli Air Force directly against Soviet fighter pilots stationed in Egypt during the War of Attrition. Israel planned the dogfight in order to send a message that it would no longer tolerate direct Soviet military involvement in its conflict with Egypt.

In the afternoon of July 30, 1970 four Israeli Mirage IIIs crossed into Egyptian airspace, flying in tight formation so as to appear as a single aircraft. As expected, four Soviet-flown MiG-21s were scrambled to intercept what they believed to be a routine Israeli reconnaissance flight. They were soon joined by an additional eight MiGs. As the Soviet fighters closed in on the Mirages, they were ambushed by four Israeli F-4 Phantoms and eight Mirage IIIs that had been lurking undetected at low altitude. An additional 12 MiG-21 reinforcements soon arrived. By the end of the close-quarters dogfight, five Soviet MiG-21s had been downed with no Israeli losses.

Egyptian military leaders were pleased with the outcome of the battle because the Soviets had long been criticizing Egypt's aerial losses to Israel and attributing them to a lack of skill among Egyptian fighter pilots. The Soviets kept quiet about the incident so as to avoid the embarrassment of their defeat. It was one of the final engagements of the War of Attrition and is widely believed to have contributed to its conclusion.

The Eurofighter Typhoon is a multinational twin-engine, canard delta wing, multirole fighter.[3][4] The Typhoon was designed originally as an air superiority fighter[5] and is manufactured by a consortium of Airbus, BAE Systems and Leonardo that conducts the majority of the project through a joint holding company, Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH. The NATO Eurofighter and Tornado Management Agency, representing the UK, Germany, Italy and Spain, manages the project and is the prime customer.[6]

The aircraft's development effectively began in 1983 with the Future European Fighter Aircraft programme, a multinational collaboration among the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. Previously, Germany, Italy and the UK had jointly developed and deployed the Panavia Tornado combat aircraft and desired to collaborate on a new project, with additional participating EU nations. However disagreements over design authority and operational requirements led France to leave the consortium to develop the Dassault Rafale independently. A technology demonstration aircraft, the British Aerospace EAP, first flew on 6 August 1986; a Eurofighter prototype made its maiden flight on 27 March 1994. The aircraft's name, Typhoon, was adopted in September 1998 and the first production contracts were also signed that year.

The sudden end of the Cold War reduced European demand for fighter aircraft and led to debate over the aircraft's cost and work share and protracted the Typhoon's development: the Typhoon entered operational service in 2003 and is now in service with the air forces of Austria, Italy, Germany, the United Kingdom, Spain, Saudi Arabia and Oman. Kuwait and Qatar have also ordered the aircraft, bringing the procurement total to 623 aircraft as of 2019.

The Eurofighter Typhoon is a highly agile aircraft, designed to be a supremely effective dogfighter in combat.[7] Later production aircraft have been increasingly better equipped to undertake air-to-surface strike missions and to be compatible with an increasing number of different armaments and equipment, including Storm Shadow, Brimstone and Marte ER missiles. The Typhoon had its combat debut during the 2011 military intervention in Libya with the UK's Royal Air Force (RAF) and the Italian Air Force, performing aerial reconnaissance and ground-strike missions. The type has also taken primary responsibility for air-defence duties for the majority of customer nations.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Anyone who thinks Putin would never use a tactical nuke is a fool.

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

100% would not put it past him to try to thread that needle between deploying a battlefield nuke and expecting the restraint of the west to prevent the triggering of full scale global nuclear war. Motherfucker is unhinged. 

It's a genuinely huge concern and as you both understand the biggest concern is that he does it if and when he's lost and he realizes it. It's obviously a losing play for Russia in the long run but the total casualties on both sides would be obviously tragic. He might think he can thread that needle but based on the coordinated response to this point I think his military leadership realizes that they are facing a World War level response if he deploys a nuke, tactical or otherwise. The problem being there's no guarantee that Putin will admit or understand that.

What is the read on China in that situation? I would think they have enough sense to completely abandon Putin if he does that. I don't see any form of axis forming around him if he nukes somebody.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I really think we should suggest to Russia that if it gets it's shit together and gets rid of Putin, that it too could be a part of NATO. I hate the idea that sane Russians feel forced to go along with Putin out of the somewhat justified belief that this Goliath international military organization exists solely to destroy it. I'd like those Russians to believe alternatives exist. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

This folks, this is what it looks like when the United States and it's leadership is respected.  

Just on its face, it's a fools errand for Russia to take on NATO.  They're at a 6.5:1 population disadvantage to start with.  I have no idea what the military and financial disadvantages are, but I have to believe they're far worse.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

I really think we should suggest to Russia that if it gets it's shit together and gets rid of Putin, that it too could be a part of NATO. I hate the idea that sane Russians feel forced to go along with Putin out of the somewhat justified belief that this Goliath international military organization exists solely to destroy it. I'd like those Russians to believe alternatives exist. 

I feel for the average Russian, too, but Russia will get into NATO about the same time that Iran, China, and North Korea get in.  Hell, Russia is the biggest immediate threat to NATO nations and has been so since about one minute after WW II ended.  And this isn't exactly the first time they've been run by a madman.  Or the second, or...

• Like 2

Just now, TexArcher said:

I feel for the average Russian, too, but Russia will get into NATO about the same time that Iran, China, and North Korea get in.  Hell, Russia is the biggest immediate threat to NATO nations and has been so since about one minute after WW II ended.  And this isn't exactly the first time they've been run by a madman.  Or the second, or...

That's my point though. It's a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts if we treat Russia that way. It doesn't have a choice but be antagonistic with NATO. And that means that the saner Russians don't have a choice in replacing Putin except with someone else like Putin. We really need to give them an out so that we all can get out from this cycle. 

Just now, Dahobbs said:

That's my point though. It's a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts if we treat Russia that way. It doesn't have a choice but be antagonistic with NATO. And that means that the saner Russians don't have a choice in replacing Putin except with someone else like Putin. We really need to give them an out so that we all can get out from this cycle. 

Sure they have a choice.  They can sit there peacefully and make a shitload of money selling natural gas to Europe and wheat to the whole world.  It's not as if NATO is baiting them into this shit.

• Hook 'Em 1