Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

20 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I really don't understand your inability to accept that Russia is a bad actor in this regard. They do all the things people have said. 

Russia is objectively in the wrong wrt the invasion of Ukraine.  

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Russia is objectively in the wrong wrt the invasion of Ukraine.  

Great

Did they have ANY involvement in Brexit? ANY involvement in trying to break up the EU/NATO? 

ANY involvement in our latest elections? Do they fund the Trump Org in any way? By a sizable portion? 

How about a strategy in Syria to push refugees to Europe? 

Negate responsibilty of downing a passenger jet? 

Massive amount of malware attacks on our society? 

Just throw all that away because we are just as bad? That's your contention? Or that you think Russia is too inept to do any of the above and it's all a narrative brought about by the American intel community and propagated by the media monolith? 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Great

Did they have ANY involvement in Brexit? ANY involvement in trying to break up the EU/NATO? 

ANY involvement in our latest elections? Do they fund the Trump Org in any way? By a sizable portion? 

How about a strategy in Syria to push refugees to Europe? 

Negate responsibilty of downing a passenger jet? 

Massive amount of malware attacks on our society? 

Just throw all that away because we are just as bad? That's your contention? Or that you think Russia is too inept to do any of the above and it's all a narrative brought about by the American intel community and propagated by the media monolith? 

See, what you don't understand is that we have some responsibility for the horrors in Yemen.  So, #bothsides.

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I am not asking you to throw anything away. 

No you are telling us to ignore Russia and their deconstructive antics. To not factor their strategies within contexts of situations. That they are only a boogieman and never a player in whatever topic at hand you feel we should deflect from. 

So are they involved within any of the topics I questioned above? 

5 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

No you are telling us to ignore Russia and their deconstructive antics.

Not so.  What I am pointing out is the insanity of this notion that if you don't deep throat the foreign policy orthodoxy of the US government, that if you ask for some critical self reflection on how we all got to this place over the course of the last 30 years, and that if you ask people to think critically about some of the most outright crazy propaganda we have been subjected to over the last decade, you are a putin puppet brainlessly regurgitating kremlin talking points.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not so.  What I am pointing out is the insanity of this notion that if you don't deep throat the foreign policy orthodoxy of the US government, that if you ask for some critical self reflection on how we all got to this place over the course of the last 30 years, and that if you ask people to think critically about some of the most outright crazy propaganda we have been subjected to over the last decade, you are a putin puppet brainlessly regurgitating kremlin talking points.   

Have they been involved in any of what I highlighted? 

Are they the master at the strategy of gaslighting populaces to sow discourse to further their goals? 

When being gaslit, you inevitably consume some off the wall shit as a side effect of being gaslit so that you lose the point....of being gaslit by a nefarious actor. 

You feed and perpetuate that cycle which is what gets you whatever Putin puppet tag you are so concerned about. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Why’d you pick 30 years?  ... Oh yeah, the end of the Cold War

Well yeah, there's that as a natural landmark. 

20 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

which has fuck-all to do with Carter Page

Why are you talking about Carter Page on this thread?  I mean I understand why people like Smokey and Ant use it as deflection for their own shame, but why are you?

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

Lmfao don't mention that in DT

dude, DT is for news. CR is for politics. It is not a left vs. right thing. Post news there, opinion here. 

There is a lot of good stuff on that thread. And some monitor and contribute to both. 

9 minutes ago, AnTiM said:

So North Korea has promised to give Russia 100,000 troops to help them fight in Ukraine.  Sort of late for birth control, but whatever works.

Is this true?

Edit: Wow. It is.

I wonder if NK is counting on brilliant Russian logistics to move and feed such an army. Is this army going to take trains through China?

Edited by RomaVicta

58 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Is this true?

I wonder if NK is counting on brilliant Russian logistics to move and feed such an army. Is this army going to take trains through China?

Those dudes will be like roaches when the lights come on as soon as they leave NK, most of them will run away and try for a better life.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gengs1 said:

Those dudes will be like roaches when the lights come on as soon as they leave NK, most of them will run away and try for a better life.

Probably not. N. Korea has a long history of sending workers to Russia. They’re treated poorly and paid a paltry sum but it’s more than they could make in N. Korea. They get free room and board so they can send their earnings back home. If they try to escape and get caught they’ll be executed and I suspect their families could be punished. They certainly won’t get paid.

Apparently the worker program was greatly curtailed in 2017 due to UN sanctions over N. Korea’s nuclear program. I don’t know how a mercenary program would affect that. But N. Koreans used to pay bribes for the opportunity to go work in substandard conditions in Russia. Substandard in Russia is still better than living in poverty in N. Korea so at least it’s a step up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43802085

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Probably not. N. Korea has a long history of sending workers to Russia. They’re treated poorly and paid a paltry sum but it’s more than they could make in N. Korea. They get free room and board so they can send their earnings back home. If they try to escape and get caught they’ll be executed and I suspect their families could be punished. They certainly won’t get paid.

Apparently the worker program was greatly curtailed in 2017 due to UN sanctions over N. Korea’s nuclear program. I don’t know how a mercenary program would affect that. But N. Koreans used to pay bribes for the opportunity to go work in substandard conditions in Russia. Substandard in Russia is still better than living in poverty in N. Korea so at least it’s a step up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43802085

Vice did a good series on this year's ago

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/4/2022 at 12:00 AM, InkaUtexas said:

dude, DT is for news. CR is for politics. It is not a left vs. right thing. Post news there, opinion here. 

There is a lot of good stuff on that thread. And some monitor and contribute to both. 

I think that's his point. The poll is news, not opinion, but it's a news story that can't be talked about on the DT, because vaccines have somehow been made political.

Meanwhile, the single biggest proponent of that politicization on this site, GRUHorn, is happily posting away under yet another account (Humble Beast), trying to sew doubt, saying Ukraine is corrupt and that we shouldn't support them. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Pods said:

I think that's his point. The poll is news, not opinion, but it's a news story that can't be talked about on the DT, because vaccines have somehow been made political.

Meanwhile, the single biggest proponent of that politicization on this site, GRUHorn, is happily posting away under yet another account (Humble Beast), trying to sew doubt, saying Ukraine is corrupt and that we shouldn't support them. 

thanks for the heads up. will ignore as soon as I see a post

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

thanks for the heads up. will ignore as soon as I see a post

Here's one from him falsely implying that we are already planning to abandon Ukraine and that 60 Minutes is in on the conspiracy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Is this true?

You think the north Korean soldiers even need to eat?

• Haha 1

Back in my earlier startup's nascent days we shared space with a brilliant physicist who was into some weird, fringe shit.  Somehow he became friends with Segal, who would visit from time to time.

"Weird" doesn't even begin to describe that guy.  He is a complete nutjob, black belt notwithstanding.

""While it was once Putin’s enemies and critics who feared being shot or poisoned, now it is the Russian leader’s most prominent public allies who are insecure, relying on private bodyguards and other protective measures against unseen and unpredictable threats," the Post writes, and then quotes one pro-invasion journalist, Yury Kotenok, who admits that "by now it should be obvious to everyone that there are no safe places. Moscow is now a front-line city.”

Pro-Putin journalist Semyon Pegov agreed, stating, "Right now we should all realize with both mind and heart how serious this is for all of us.""

https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/world/putins-war-cheerleaders-and-allies-now-fear-for-their-lives-after-carbombing-report/ar-AA10ZC2n?ocid=sapphireappshare

• Like 2

""While it was once Putin’s enemies and critics who feared being shot or poisoned, now it is the Russian leader’s most prominent public allies who are insecure, relying on private bodyguards and other protective measures against unseen and unpredictable threats," the Post writes, and then quotes one pro-invasion journalist, Yury Kotenok, who admits that "by now it should be obvious to everyone that there are no safe places. Moscow is now a front-line city.”
Pro-Putin journalist Semyon Pegov agreed, stating, "Right now we should all realize with both mind and heart how serious this is for all of us.""
https://www.msn.com/en-US/news/world/putins-war-cheerleaders-and-allies-now-fear-for-their-lives-after-carbombing-report/ar-AA10ZC2n?ocid=sapphireappshare

That’s a shame.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1