Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35592920/colorado-state-sorry-russia-chant-ukrainian-player

Colorado State issued a public apology to Utah State and Ukrainian guard Max Shulga after some of its fans chanted "Russia" at Shulga during Saturday's game.

Shulga -- who is from Kyiv, Ukraine, where his family still resides -- went to the free throw line late in the game, and the "Russia" chants could be heard from the Colorado State student section.

Hey Colorado State:

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Sounds like sanctions are starting to bite:

Russia’s budget revenues from oil and gas plunged in January by 46% compared to the same month last year due to the sanctions on Russian oil exports, which led to a slump in the price of Russia’s flagship crude grade.

Russian budget revenues from energy sales – including taxes and customs revenues – plummeted last month to the lowest level since August 2020, according to data from its finance ministry compiled by Reuters.

In January 2023, the price of Russia’s flagship Urals grade averaged 42% lower than in the same month of 2022, as its discount to Brent Crude grew wider following the EU embargo and the G7 price cap, which came into effect on December 5. The average price of Urals in January, at $49.48 per barrel, was 1.7 times lower than in January 2022, when it averaged $85.64 per barrel, Russia’s Finance Ministry said earlier this week.
Russia is considering taxing its oil firms based on the price of Brent – instead of Urals – to limit the fallout on the Russian budget revenues due to the widening discount of Urals to Brent, Russian daily Kommersant reported on Friday, quoting sources.  

Russia is looking at ways to reduce the steep discount on Urals and to stabilize its oil revenues. At the end of January, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the government to submit within a month proposals to change the methodology for calculating the taxes from oil, Kommersant’s sources said.

The EU oil ban and price cap are costing Russia an estimated $174 million (160 million euros) per day due to the fall in shipment volumes and prices for Russian oil, Finland-based Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA) said in a report last month. The revenue losses are expected to rise to $304 million (280 million euros) per day with additional measures that are being implemented as of February 5, according to CREA.

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Russias-Oil-And-Gas-Revenues-Slump-46-Year-Over-Year.html

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Anecdotal, but I'm noticing more and more of my foxnews watching friends/family/coworkers mentioning how they are concerned about the money we are sending to Ukraine.  Concerned that it's too much money, concerned that Ukraine is corrupt, and concerned that we don't know where the money is going.  It's a pretty consistent line of BS, so the messaging machine fed by these assholes seems to be working.

My message in response has been the same every time - we have a Hitler/Churchill situation here and if you can't tell who is who, then you need to change the channel.  And when you have a Hitler/Churchill situation you don't let your concerns paralyze your support.  And we are sending our aging equipment/B team gear and able to help knock down one of the worst actors in the world without putting US troops in harm's way.  AND even though I don't like wasting money, this is a fart in the tornado of the defense spending budget.

Maddening.

Yes, all the "independent thinkers" think the same thing as Tucker Carlson.  They don't seem to understand that we're not giving them cash money.  We're giving equipment that we're not using anyway.  They also don't understand the perspective of the amount, to your point.  The new B-21 bomber program by itself is more money than we've given Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yes, all the "independent thinkers" think the same thing as Tucker Carlson.  They don't seem to understand that we're not giving them cash money.  We're giving equipment that we're not using anyway.  They also don't understand the perspective of the amount, to your point.  The new B-21 bomber program by itself is more money than we've given Ukraine.

Someone even brought up Zelensky's wife's spending habits - I heard she has been seen in Paris recently at all the luxury shops!!1!1!!1!one!!!  Like we are just giving Ukraine bags full of cash and they are helping themselves to it.  GTFOHWTMFBS

• Hook 'Em 2

Anecdotal, but I'm noticing more and more of my foxnews watching friends/family/coworkers mentioning how they are concerned about the money we are sending to Ukraine.  Concerned that it's too much money, concerned that Ukraine is corrupt, and concerned that we don't know where the money is going.  It's a pretty consistent line of BS, so the messaging machine fed by these assholes seems to be working.
My message in response has been the same every time - we have a Hitler/Churchill situation here and if you can't tell who is who, then you need to change the channel.  And when you have a Hitler/Churchill situation you don't let your concerns paralyze your support.  And we are sending our aging equipment/B team gear and able to help knock down one of the worst actors in the world without putting US troops in harm's way.  AND even though I don't like wasting money, this is a fart in the tornado of the defense spending budget.
Maddening.
That narrative doesn't even make sense. If most of it was being stolen either Ukraine would have gotten rolled over already or the Russians are orders of magnitude shittier than we thought.

And even if some percent is getting stolen it's still the greatest bang for the buck we've gotten from defense /related spending that we've had in decades, maybe ever.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fuck Colorado State.

Never thought I’d have a reason to say that. But fuck ‘em. That’s really low.

Made me think of Steve Kerr when he was at Arizona.   Sun Devil fans changed "PLO" and "Where's your Dad?" during a game his senior year.    Kerr's father was killed in 1984 at the American University while serving as President of the school.   In 1988, ASU students showed their ass.  

• Rage+1 1

That same guy, from last September:

“Let me be clear. The era of nuclear blackmail must end. The idea that any country could fight and win a nuclear war is deranged. Any use of a nuclear weapon would incite a humanitarian Armageddon.  We need to step back.” 

You don't stop the use of nuclear blackmail by capitulating to it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I ask them why we should be keeping 40 year-old vehicles in storage, vehicles that we will never use again, when they can be used to kill Russians.    They still act concerned.  For a group of people that includes a big subset of people who go on about “doing your own research”, they don’t like to do their own research.

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a fan of  President Biden's political views in general.  But I see he has killed more Russians than my heros Reagan and Goldwater combined.  And that's pretty cool.  Good on him.

Quite the contrast with tfg who wanted to shake down Zelensky for his own personal gain.

Joe literally in a war zone to show the Ruskies who has the biggest swinging dick in the world. Don’t forget it Vlad.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 11:38 AM, Huckleberry said:

Sure, but he's largely to blame for the large number of Americans (read: Republicans) who disagree because he happily fed the monster and taught it to just reflexively disagree with ANYTHING Democrats said while it suited him. 

This. His limp dick and jellyfish spine are why we have a party whose voters overwhelmingly support facism and tyranny. Shut the fuck up turtle and go to hell.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Someone smarter on the geopolitical and diplomatic front answer me this:

Why is fair game when we provide arms/money/tanks to Ukraine, but then when China (a known enemy to US and friend to Russia) signals they will do something similiar, we take it personal?

I feel like this is escalating into an Allies and Central Powers type escalation soon which would be very bad:

U.S. warns China not to supply Russia with weapons for Ukraine war

World Feb 19, 2023 7:04 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. intelligence suggests China is considering providing arms and ammunition to Russia, an involvement in the Kremlin’s war effort that would be a “serious problem,” Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.

• Fuck You 18

1 hour ago, HamsterHookah said:

Someone smarter on the geopolitical and diplomatic front answer me this:

Why is fair game when we provide arms/money/tanks to Ukraine, but then when China (a known enemy to US and friend to Russia) signals they will do something similiar, we take it personal?

Because we are America and they are not.  China will not overtly aid Russia.  If they do so, the ban hammer of sanctions is comin' down.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Because we are America and they are not.  China will not overtly aid Russia.  If they do so, the ban hammer of sanctions is comin' down.  

Exceptionalism aside (and I think you were kidding), but the main question was not meant to rile anyone up or get people like daysoff emotional, but it was to understand from people who study or are involved in geopolitics and diplomacy and such-- how is it that we can reasonably or justifiably do one thing (active support via money, armaments, munitions, etc.) and also condemn others for doing the same thing, but on the other side. Think of my question through the jus ad bellum and rules of warfare lens.

And I don't mean justify from an emotional or values point of view, I think we ALL GET THAT-- Russia sucks and Putin sucks and we want them to lose and Ukraine is our friend. But can we be adults and have adult conversations about realities that exist in reality outside of our idealism and exceptionalism? That was the ask.

I haven't followed this thread since nearly a year ago when some really informed and awesome posters were giving us these awesome updates and experiences, so if it's devolved into sad old union pilots getting bent out of shape for no reason, then I can see myself to the door, don't bother getting up.

Edited by HamsterHookah
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I honestly do not understand what you're asking. It seems to me that you answered your own question. The reason we are okay with supporting Ukraine and are not okay with China supporting Russia is that Russia is the aggressor (bad) and Ukraine is the victim (good) (oversimplified of course). It's almost like asking why was the US against Germany occupying France but okay with the Allies occupying Germany. It's because Germany was the aggressor (bad) and France was the victim (good). If you're asking whether we should go back to isolationist tendencies as we were prior to WWI, that is a different question. What am I missing?

There's also the whole genocide angle where Russia is actively trying to eliminate Ukrainian as a distinct language and nationality and has committed mass murder on Ukraine's civilian population. So what if the vast majority of UN member states have condemned Putin's imperial invasion?

But, you know, it's all relative I suppose. 🤔

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What am I missing?

You're missing the sort of realpolitk think that intentionally blinds itself to any moral judgments or questions. Ignoring any moral implications, of course China is within its legal rights and power to provide aid to Russia. It is a pointlessly stupid question to ask, so you're right in overlooking in it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1