Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

A new David Letterman’s “My Next Guest” dropped on Netflix. He interviews Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Very interesting.

Dave mentions how US politics seems intent on considering authoritarianism, and Volodymyr affirms the Ukrainians are well aware of what is going on in the US. They are fighting a fucking war, and yet, they know how critical this internal US struggle is for the planet. 

And so I bring it up in the Ukraine thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Saw Estonia's Prime Minister, Kaja Kallas, being interviewed on BBC.  She speaks almost perfect English and was talking about the situation in Ukraine and its possible ramifications for her country and I couldn't help but think that it's simply amazing that a country the size of Estonia with it's 1.4 million people can produce such an exceptional leader while, meanwhile, the beacon of democracy that is the United States has such a sclerotic system that we got to choose between Trump and Biden this last time around. 

Did I mention that Kallas is extremely attractive?  She hits every one of my buttons.

Kaja-Kallas-3070885933.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Saw Estonia's Prime Minister, Kaja Kallas, being interviewed on BBC.  She speaks almost perfect English and was talking about the situation in Ukraine and its possible ramifications for her country and I couldn't help but think that it's simply amazing that a country the size of Estonia with it's 1.4 million people can produce such an exceptional leader while, meanwhile, the beacon of democracy that is the United States has such a sclerotic system that we got to choose between Trump and Biden this last time around. 

Did I mention that Kallas is extremely attractive?  She hits every one of my buttons.

Kaja-Kallas-3070885933.thumb.jpg.059d8f877091c257d6f55a878ca2910f.jpg

Dallas - without DFW metroplex - is bigger than Estonia. Damn. We can do better.

Just now, Neonmoon said:

How come all dictators/thugs are the biggest fucking dorks

Being a huge fucking dorkass loser is a core element of being fascist. If people like you, you're probably not a huge fucking dorkass loser and thus aren't overflowing with resentment about all of the adoration you feel that you're owed but not getting.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Being a huge fucking dorkass loser is a core element of being fascist. If people like you, you're probably not a huge fucking dorkass loser and thus aren't overflowing with resentment about all of the adoration you feel that you're owed but not getting.

Ahhhh, good ol grievance politics. A fascist's bread an butter

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

My daughter was in Tallinn the week before last.  I asked her to give my regards to Ms. Kallas, and to pass her my number and suggest she give me a call.  My daughter declined my request, something about "dad, don't be a dick, mom would kick your ass, the Prime Minister wouldn't go out with you anyway," or some shit like that.  Insolent child.  We'll have to have a chat when she's home for Christmas.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, C-Man said:

What a fucking bummer of an ad.  We have a shitty country because of our shitty decisions so you can’t feed your family.  So go invade places that your same shitty leaders that put you here are telling you to invade.  It’s the only way your family can be proud of you. 

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

What a fucking bummer of an ad.  We have a shitty country because of our shitty decisions so you can’t feed your family.  So go invade places that your same shitty leaders that put you here are telling you to invade.  It’s the only way your family can be proud of you. 

Counterpoint: it's actually effective.  When you make life so cheap as to be worthless, your cannon fodder cares much less about being cannon fodder.  "Sure.  What the fuck.  Like life offers me any better prospects."  Make your country so miserable that being sent to war is seen as a possible step UP.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952b77b2b786287f42103

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Godddammit.  If they can’t put aside their retard theatrics for this I’ll be pissed.  

I was reading about Churchill a while back and something mentioned his statement to congress.  And I thought “Churchill spoke to congress?!”   Went and found some pictures and I love it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.913d737c687bced761f5904fd2e30eec.jpeg

It was amusing too. 

If my father had been American and my mother British, instead of the other way around, I might have got here on my own. In that case, this would not have been the first time you would have heard my voice. In that case, I should not have needed any invitation. But if I had, it is hardly likely that it would have been unanimous. So perhaps things are better as they are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

very cool to have Zelensky show up to the White House just at this moment.   A little underdressed in green sweater and pants but no problem, he's  a global hero. 

He's got Russian asses to kick -- he ain't got time for no suit!

I mean, also, he's playing a very carefully orchestrated "part," and he's doing a damn good job of it.  He's no dummy.

• Hook 'Em 6

15 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fine speech. A great moment in History. 

100% I didn’t even get goosebumps when Obama mentioned my people for the first time ever on that stage in the SOTU speech, tonight I had goosebumps 3-4 times. That was history.  How anyone can deny the importance of our role in supporting the Ukrainian people is beyond me. We should do more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2022 at 10:10 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

57 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Fucking Gaetz and Boebert sat on their asses while the rest of Congress gave him a standing O. 

54 minutes ago, troph said:

About that thread discussing nazi history… 

Apparently they also blew past security without going through the metal detectors. 

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We know one or more Republicans will probably cause a scene to score some points with some small group.  Who will it be?  MTG, Boebert, Rand Paul?  Gosar?  Chip Roy?

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Fucking Gaetz and Boebert sat on their asses while the rest of Congress gave him a standing O. 

MTG sent that tweet out bitching about the Ukrainian aid.

And Boebert sat on her ass.

Should have had Gaetz in there, and surprised that Rand Paul didn't want to cause a scene.  Then again, Kentucky is pretty pro-military/pro-defense industry.  Then again, Paul has tried to block aid to Ukraine.  Unfortunately he's not up until '28, but because he's not, I would have figured he would have caused a scene.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

MTG sent that tweet out bitching about the Ukrainian aid.

And Boebert sat on her ass.

Should have had Gaetz in there, and surprised that Rand Paul didn't want to cause a scene.  Then again, Kentucky is pretty pro-military/pro-defense industry.  Then again, Paul has tried to block aid to Ukraine.  Unfortunately he's not up until '28, but because he's not, I would have figured he would have caused a scene.

Maybe another neighbor will beat his ass again