Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

46 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That attitude is why this board is a great feeding ground for trolls. Years and years and years go by with people setting out a virtual all-you-can-eat buffet for the trolls thinking they’re making a difference by “calling them out” when all they’re actually doing is amplifying the trolls’ dumbassery. The effect you think you’re achieving isn’t happening. The opposite is. Ignore the trolls. That’s the only way to deal with them.

Not all trolls are created equal.   Some warrant a different tactic.  

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Biden is using a top Republican as the admins mouthpiece on events to preemptively block the usual trolls from questioning/criticizing the progress being made. Truly brilliant move 

That has to be driving Trump, and by extension the Trumpkin wing of the party nuts. So in addition to making it hard to shoot the messenger, it fans the flames of the Republican civil war. Expect to see a full court press against "Little Marco" in the coming weeks. 

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bao3fdbs8811ubotz017

• Hook 'Em 5

15 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

You can find parallels but you won't find anything that exceeds what we see in Ukraine today.

We, the US, don't do naked conquest. We also find at least an arguable moral grounds for some of our invasions. I want to be clear about that.

A lesson we should have learned and Putin is now learning is that a massive display of lethal force generally doesn't force immediate capitulation. People don't like it when you kill their cousins, sisters, fathers, and friends. They can be as courageous as anyone and fight back. It's a valuable lesson even if obvious.

Invaders are generally unpopular.

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This makes me wonder about the possibility of buying Moscoskya, or however “Moscow water” is spelled. Used to be available at the turn of the century. Guy at Spec’s told me that when their economy was strong enough, it was consumed domestically. 

While I don’t wish suffering on the rank and file, it seems necessary to build the pressure required to affect Putin’s standing. I’m no expert, and potato magic is good enough for me, but that vodka was damn good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

apparently there is a small / tiny neo Nazi part of the Ukranian military.  Still does not justify an invasion, but Putin isn't entirely wrong. 

It's a complicated read, hard to pin down if the Azov guys are mostly neo-Nazis or even just a small percentage within the group. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

On 12 November 2014, Azov was incorporated into the National Guard of Ukraine, and since then all members are contract soldiers serving in the National Guard of Ukraine.[10]

17 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Biden is using a top Republican as the admins mouthpiece on events to preemptively block the usual trolls from questioning/criticizing the progress being made. Truly brilliant move 

Of course he is.  He just bought them credibility.  Now they have to maintain it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

So 70 odd years ago this country was caught up in a frenzy of fear of Russian meddling within our country, presumably because of the communist threat to overthrow democracy.   Lots of people lost their livelihoods and more because of this.   The theoretical basis of communism was equality across the bases, right?

Fast forward 50 years to the age that sees the beginning of Russian meddling in the form of money flowing through NRA and others, Maria Buttina, Steve Bannon, etc.  But it's not really communism they are peddling this time is it?  It's authoritarianism.    Which is not equality, it's quite the opposite.

Which side would McCarthy land on this time?  Why is there no outcry from the country to do the special hearings?  Because this time the Russians aren't pushing anything that approaches equality for all.  So the money isn't behind bringing down a movement (authoritarian) that keeps money and power in the hands of the few.   

I just can't help but think all these Republicans propping up Putin are doing so as a last ditch attempt to keep their skeletons in the closet and not allow anyone to investigate how deeply Putin has his claws into some of our elected officials.   And the second leg of this is the need to minimize Biden, because they know if he comes out of this with more credibility, the harder it will be to defeat Democrats, which eventually will lead to some investigations.  

excellent post and points. I've had an inkling of this idea, but you put into a more tangible point.

also:
FMlEj7wUUAIOcnU.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

apparently there is a small / tiny neo Nazi part of the Ukranian military.  Still does not justify an invasion, but Putin isn't entirely wrong. 

It's a complicated read, hard to pin down if the Azov guys are mostly neo-Nazis or even just a small percentage within the group. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Battalion

On 12 November 2014, Azov was incorporated into the National Guard of Ukraine, and since then all members are contract soldiers serving in the National Guard of Ukraine.[10]

Yea, we dedicated about 6 pages of this very thread to this a few days ago (before the invasion). 

27 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

it's almost as if he's behaving like the adult in the room and like someone running an actual functioning government.

very few of us were for biden during the primary process, but he campaigned on this, and now he's doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

There’s a small / tiny neo Nazi part of the US military. What’s your point?

Yeah, I was going to say. We wouldn't be cool if Canada invaded to take care of our growing white nationalist problem for us. They're horrible, racist shitbags, but they're our horrible, racist shitbags.

Gotta admit when Rubio started tweeting about this, my first thought was ‘has to be a different Marco Rubio.’ Kinda like how Jon Favreau isn’t that guy from Swingers and Chef.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1