This business, economic and financial implications of all this crap

Parliament

lord christ ive never seen a move like this in Gold.  overnight going from 1910 to 1975 and now clunking back down.

the thesis was gold was an inflation hedge, and also would get gobbled up by russia as they anticipate sanction across the financial rails ... but man...shit just plonked

image.png.035b24d6e323c7ab11f1237cbbe78919.png

I can't find any good graphs, but Ukraine is a major producer of wheat and sunflowers.  And they're no slouch in corn production either.

Russia produces lotsa nitrogen and phosphate fertilizer.

Food prices will continue to rise.  Developing countries may go hungry.

Screenshot 2022-03-04 073531.png

Screenshot 2022-03-04 073726.png

12 minutes ago, Parliament said:

I can't find any good graphs, but Ukraine is a major producer of wheat and sunflowers.  And they're no slouch in corn production either.

Russia produces lotsa nitrogen and phosphate fertilizer.

Food prices will continue to rise.  Developing countries may go hungry

there's still Kazakhstan - #1 producer in potassium, and #3 in prostitutes

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2022 at 8:57 AM, ATexanAbroad said:

the only thing decent I have done was push all my chips to the oil table when it went negative a while back

That’s a pretty decent thing. I don’t know what you did but I bought two packages of direct assets - one small nonop working interest in 2020 and one large royalty interest in 2021. I’m so excited.  And I just can’t hide it. 

Brazil is searching for new fertilizer suppliers as the war in Ukraine threatens to cut off shipments to one of the world’s breadbaskets, with potential ripple effects on already high global food inflation.

The Latin American country is the largest producer of coffee, soybeans and sugar, and the most dependent of the world’s agricultural superpowers on imported fertilizer. Brazil imports some 85% of its fertilizers and about a fifth of those imports come from Russia. The Russian trade ministry has called for a broad suspension of fertilizer exports, state news agency TASS reported Friday.

"Brazil depends on fertilizers…it’s a sacred question for us," President Jair Bolsonaro told reporters earlier this week, defending his decision to maintain cordial relations with Moscow as Russia attacks Ukraine. Mr. Bolsanaro was one of the last world leaders to visit Russian President Vladimir Putin before the invasion of Ukraine began on Feb. 24, meeting with him at the Kremlin on Feb. 16.

If Brazil’s farmers have to pay significantly more for fertilizer or are unable to produce as many crops, the cost of its agricultural products is likely to climb, driving up world food prices.

Brazil is also an important supplier of corn and beef. Higher grain prices increase animal-feed costs, which are passed on to consumers, who have to pay more for meat and other animal products.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/ukraine-war-hits-farmers-russia-cuts-fertilizer-supplies-hurting-brazil

I think you're going to see a split world economy. China sees what's happening and is going to want to cut itself off from being at the mercy of Western financial services... even more than usual. India is likely to follow suit, and of course Russia. 

I own some shares of MasterCard and Visa. I think they did the right move by stopping business in Russia, but I think they also effectively limited their access to Russia/India/China forever. (There were already grumbles before all this.) So that's about 25-30% of the world population. Won't happen overnight, but the writing is on the wall.

25 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think you're going to see a split world economy. China sees what's happening and is going to want to cut itself off from being at the mercy of Western financial services... even more than usual. India is likely to follow suit, and of course Russia. 

I own some shares of MasterCard and Visa. I think they did the right move by stopping business in Russia, but I think they also effectively limited their access to Russia/India/China forever. (There were already grumbles before all this.) So that's about 25-30% of the world population. Won't happen overnight, but the writing is on the wall.

Russia is negligible in size. China never was going to be a big market for them given the regulatory hostility.

The biggest question concerning Russia I have read this week is what happens with the sanctions?  Will they become a N Korea?  If so the World will be in a very fragile place.

China holds the trump cards.  They can still buy Treasuries but I think they will be looking elsewhere.  Crypto is most likely although Xi doesn't not appear to be the kind of guy that can't control currencies among other things.