Most overrated team in CFB history, non-aggy division

Beau Vine

Leaving aggy out of this, as they seem to have made this an annual event.

Three stand out to me:

1.  2014 Mississippi State -- Came into the year off a 7-6 season in 2013 that included a Liberty Bowl win over Rice <giggle>...they somehow ascended to #12 with non-conference wins over UAB, USM, and SAlabama (none of which would finish with winning records), and a road win at an LSU team that would finish 8-5.  They followed with home wins over eventual 8-5 aggy and eventual 8-5 Auburn.  And boom, they're ranked #1.  Finished the season by losing to Bama, Ole Miss, and GaTech.

2.  1990 Virginia -- Ranked #15 in preseason, and somehow vaulted to #1 on the strength of victories over Kansas, Ken Hatfield's Clemson, Navy, Duke, William & Mary, and NC State.  After a win over Wake Forest, they lost to #15 GaTech at home, won at UNC, lost at home to 6-5-1 Maryland, lost at 6-5 VaTech to drop out of the polls, and lost to Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl.  The silver lining to this shitshow is that it did revamp the bowl system, as the Sugar Bowl had offered them a bid when they were 7-0; bowls subsequently cooperated with each other to enforce a later, uniform bid date.  

3.  1984 BYU -- Jumped into the polls thanks to a season-opening win over preseason #3 Pittsburgh, who would go on to finish 3-7-1.  After that, they won non-conference home games over Baylor, Tulsa, and Utah State, as well as cruising through the WAC schedule, before beating a 6-6 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl.  Were awarded the #1 ranking despite not beating a single ranked team.

Who else?

• Hook 'Em 1

So you're considering ranking at any given time? There are dozens of teams that were highly ranked after non-con schedules and eventually shit the bed. I think end of year is a better measure, and 1984 BYU takes the fucking cake. Shitty schedule and claims a national title. The recent UCF team that claims a national title is on the list too. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I guess you’d have to consider 2007 LSU, as they won a “national title” with 2 losses (both to teams that finished the season unranked). There were 6 other teams from BCS conferences that finished that season with 2 or fewer losses, including a B12 team that went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl, whose only loss was to the team that finished that year #4 in the polls. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, &#x27;stache said:

So you're considering ranking at any given time? There are dozens of teams that were highly ranked after non-con schedules and eventually shit the bed.

Good point, but all three of the ones I listed achieved peak overratedness after playing at least half of their schedule.  So I'll draw the line there.

'98 Tennessee Vol champs.  Don't get me wrong.  It was cool being there, then celebrating on campus with my newfound girlfriend (now wife).  But, good Lord.

They beat Arky because stupid-ass Stoner dropped a ball while trying to run out the clock.

IIRC, they beat Syracuse on a somewhat b.s. pass interference call late in the game.

I think they beat Florida at home, in overtime, when Florida missed a field goal late.

I think they may have beaten Miss St. in the SEC Championship game because their starting QB got hurt.

Also, IIRC they played FSU's 2nd or 3rd string QB in the championship game.  I think their winning TD was on a long, deflected pass.

DISCLAIMER:  All this is based on a hazy memory.  I just remember thinking that I'd wish Texas would get just get a fraction of the amount of luck during a football season.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

For some reason all these years later I remember that game for having all the intensity of a slumber party slap fight 

Yes, it was boring - even in watching it at a sports bar in Knoxville.  I was rooting for TN due to my future wife and some friends.  Inside, I was rooting against them because of the "we're the real UT" b.s. I used to hear.  Somewhere out there, there's news footage of two idiots (my best friend and me) doing the Hook 'Em amongst a sea of traffic cone orange.  I had a VHS tape of it at some point.  

5 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

What year did Miami prove we deserved a spot in this discussion?

It was 1990 but we beat Penn State and lost a close game to Colorado (they used to be good).  Beat aggy 28-27.  I think we were #3 going into the Cotton Bowl. We got beat bad in one game, but that was it.

25 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

1977 Oklahoma Sooners. Ranked 2 going into Orange Bowl against 6 Arkansas. Lou Holtz had suspended three top Hogs players before the game. OU huge favorite. Because Horns lost earlier to Norte Dame OU had perfect shot to be #1. Brian Bosworth. Hogs punked them 31-6.

2004 Sooners were said to be the possibly the best team ever.  Got blown out 34-7 or thereabouts by KSU in the Big 12 championship and went on to not do particularly well against USC.  (better example than the 90 Horns, IMHO)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2010 UT.  Top 5 rankimg.  5-7.  Nuff said.
Jesus, forgot the record was that bad. (Alcohol mind wipe)

And that team still had a few players that were in the championship game the season before. Kinda makes Sarks bed shitting this year look slightly better..but not a lot.

6 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

What year did Miami prove we deserved a spot in this discussion?

god damn it

1 hour ago, boilerhorn said:

The 2016 Texas Longhorns.  After a 2-0 start and a #11 ranking, they finished the season on a 3-7 run.

Common theme: Charlie Strong.

fuck!

51 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

2010 UT.  Top 5 rankimg.  5-7.  Nuff said.

Son of a fucking BITCH!!

32 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Dishonorable mention:  1984 UT.  #1 ranking mid season.  7-4-1.  55-17 Freedom Bowl loss.

This one hurts the most. The year I graduated.

Fuck this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

1997 Texas deserves a mention here.

Coming off the 1996 Big XII Championship win over titan Nebraska, we started 1997 with a blowout win and were ranked #11.  We thought we had finally turned the corner and become a football power again.  Then UCLA came in and beat us 66-3 and we finished 4-7.

• Hook 'Em 2

2012 usc, preseason #1 but finished unranked at 7-6

1964 ole miss, preseason #1 but finished unranked at 5-5-1

1991 GaTech, preseason top 8 but finished unranked at 8-5

1984 Auburn, preseason #1 and Bo Jackson as a junior, Texas whooped that ass and they finished barely top 15 at 9-4

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bullneck said:

2004 Sooners were said to be the possibly the best team ever.  Got blown out 34-7 or thereabouts by KSU in the Big 12 championship and went on to not do particularly well against USC.  (better example than the 90 Horns, IMHO)

That was 2003 Sooners lost to K-State 35-7 then LSU 21-14 in the Sugar Bowl.  2004 Oklahoma was undefeated up to the USC BF'ing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

If you are looking at end of the season Nattie contenders/NY Day teams (rhetorically speaking now), the obvious choice is that 84 BYU team.  

In general, though, it’s not us, we tend to be over rated at the start of the season and exposed early on.  As a complete body of work, it’s absolutely Notre Dame.  The number of times the Irish have coasted through a season feasting on a garbage schedule, getting too much credit for beating a weak USC team, then getting curb stomped by an actual team in the bowl game is really too numerous to count. 

You can actually makes a somewhat persuasive argument that if the last 2 decades, it’s been Oklahoma in a way.  Shitting the bed in January is their jam.

Edited by Bateshorn

9 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Coming off the 1996 Big XII Championship win over titan Nebraska, we started 1997 with a blowout win and were ranked #11.  We thought we had finally turned the corner and become a football power again.  Then UCLA came in and beat us 66-3 and we finished 4-7.

I sat in the upper deck through every painful minute of that 66-3 blowout, thinking, "It has to get better.  It has to get better."

As we all know, it did not.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

I sat in the upper deck through every painful minute of that 66-3 blowout, thinking, "It has to get better.  It has to get better."

As we all know, it did not.

Still the only time I've ever left DKR early.  It was 38-0 at halftime and our flasks were empty.  Worst car ride home ever -- 5 young men crammed in a fucking Corolla listening to the rest of the beating on the radio.  I kicked our gate off the hinges and my roommate put his boot through his own tv when the SportsCenter highlights came on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Still the only time I've ever left DKR early.  It was 38-0 at halftime and our flasks were empty.  Worst car ride home ever -- 5 young men crammed in a fucking Corolla listening to the rest of the beating on the radio.  I kicked our gate off the hinges and my roommate put his boot through his own tv when the SportsCenter highlights came on.

I was back home in San Antonio when the final gun sounded.

Also, I know the thread title reads “non-aggy,” but the 2020 A&M team epitomizes “overrated” more than any others in recent memory.

Covid-shortened year meant that they played 10 games. They went 9-1 and finished the season ranked #4. Their loss was by 4 TDs. The combined record of the 9 opponents they defeated was 39-56. The best team they beat was Florida (8-4) at home. The only other decent team they beat was Mack’s UNC team in the Orange Bowl, and pretty much all of their best players sat out of the bowl game.

That is the definition of an overrated team.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

You can actually makes a somewhat persuasive argument that if the last 2 decades, it’s been Oklahoma in a way.  Shitting the bed in January is their jam.

I mean I hate defending OUsucks, but if you start the season in the top 5-10 and lose in the national title game or CFP I'm not sure I would put that in the same "overrated" camp as the teams being discussed here.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Sat through that entire game 

• Rage+1 1