Most overrated team in CFB history, non-aggy division

Beau Vine

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Still the only time I've ever left DKR early. 

Same here.  Upper deck, west side, absolutely baking (and not in a good way).  At halftime my then-wife looked at me, said "give me the keys, I'm going home, you can come with me now or walk later".  It's not the worst walk, a little over 3 miles, but in that heat after that beatdown?  I went with the car ride home.

• Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

1977 Oklahoma Sooners. Ranked 2 going into Orange Bowl against 6 Arkansas. Lou Holtz had suspended three top Hogs players before the game. OU huge favorite. Because Horns lost earlier to Norte Dame OU had perfect shot to be #1. Brian Bosworth. Hogs punked them 31-6.

There's so much wrong with this post that I don't know where to go after I point out that Bosworth was 11 years old when this game was being played.

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, pacman said:

2012 usc, preseason #1 but finished unranked at 7-6

1964 ole miss, preseason #1 but finished unranked at 5-5-1

1991 GaTech, preseason top 8 but finished unranked at 8-5

1984 Auburn, preseason #1 and Bo Jackson as a junior, Texas whooped that ass and they finished barely top 15 at 9-4

You should read this post:

9 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean if we just take terrible preseason rankings we could just list every blue blood. Preseason polls are idiotic. Every team people have heard of got rated top 10 at some point when in fact they were garbage.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, Beau Vine said:

Leaving aggy out of this, as they seem to have made this an annual event.

Three stand out to me:

1.  2014 Mississippi State -- Came into the year off a 7-6 season in 2013 that included a Liberty Bowl win over Rice <giggle>...they somehow ascended to #12 with non-conference wins over UAB, USM, and SAlabama (none of which would finish with winning records), and a road win at an LSU team that would finish 8-5.  They followed with home wins over eventual 8-5 aggy and eventual 8-5 Auburn.  And boom, they're ranked #1.  Finished the season by losing to Bama, Ole Miss, and GaTech.

2.  1990 Virginia -- Ranked #15 in preseason, and somehow vaulted to #1 on the strength of victories over Kansas, Ken Hatfield's Clemson, Navy, Duke, William & Mary, and NC State.  After a win over Wake Forest, they lost to #15 GaTech at home, won at UNC, lost at home to 6-5-1 Maryland, lost at 6-5 VaTech to drop out of the polls, and lost to Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl.  The silver lining to this shitshow is that it did revamp the bowl system, as the Sugar Bowl had offered them a bid when they were 7-0; bowls subsequently cooperated with each other to enforce a later, uniform bid date.  

3.  1984 BYU -- Jumped into the polls thanks to a season-opening win over preseason #3 Pittsburgh, who would go on to finish 3-7-1.  After that, they won non-conference home games over Baylor, Tulsa, and Utah State, as well as cruising through the WAC schedule, before beating a 6-6 Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl.  Were awarded the #1 ranking despite not beating a single ranked team.

Who else?

BYU was the correct answer. They should have had to play the Texas 4A high school Champions in their bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got to include the 2000 Alabama team.

Ended the 1999 season at 10-3 and absolutely shellacked and shocked Florida in the SECCG game.

Started the season ranked number 3 and lost the opener to unranked UCLA and ended the season at 3-8. Lost to LSU in Baton Rouge for the first time in 31 years and first time since 1956 lost every out of conference game, including Southern Miss and being the first big boy school to lose to UCF. And lost to Auburn in the first Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa since 1901.

Mike DuBose got canned in November.

Absolutely the most overrated and embarrassing Alabama team in my lifetime.

On 2/24/2022 at 10:24 PM, nunna yo bizness said:

2010 UT.  Top 5 rankimg.  5-7.  Nuff said.

I was on the UT Football support staff that season. The team played an extremely tough preseason scheduled(Auburn, Penn State and OU) but it appears that our fanbase never noticed. Of course. they're not the ones playing the games either. The team was extremely worn down by the end of the season as there was never really a chance to develop depth. Playing the the SWC back then was as fun as running through a minefield back with teams just anxiously awaiting to ruin your season. IMHO, the team was not overrated. It just suffered from the bravado of the coach back then.

Overrated teams:

SMU 1981 and 1982: The Mustangs' nonconference schedule was an absolute  joke(Grambling State, UTA, Wichita State and UNT). That fact didn't  keep the idiots in the Dallas press(except for Blackie Sherrod) from ranking them high or demanding they play a tougher schedule. I have always said that if Eric Dickerson had to face OU very year like Earl Campbell did, he would never came close to breaking Earl's then rushing record.

1985 Penn State: This team finished undefeated,  barely winning playing a Big East type schedule. They got exposed in the Orange Bowl later that year. OU was fortunate to play them and back into another MNC yet again.

Edited by RC Horn

34 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

I was on the UT Football support staff that season. The team played an extremely tough preseason scheduled(Auburn, Penn State and OU) but it appears that our fanbase never noticed. Of course. they're not the ones playing the games either. The team was extremely worn down by the end of the season as there was never really a chance to develop depth. Playing the the SWC back then was as fun as running through a minefield back with teams just anxiously awaiting to ruin your season. IMHO, the team was not overrated. It just suffered from the bravado of the coach back then.

I think you have the wrong year. By a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, RC Horn said:

Huh 

On 2/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, Texzilla58 said:

1977 Oklahoma Sooners. Ranked 2 going into Orange Bowl against 6 Arkansas. Lou Holtz had suspended three top Hogs players before the game. OU huge favorite. Because Horns lost earlier to Norte Dame OU had perfect shot to be #1. Brian Bosworth. Hogs punked them 31-6.

I don't think Bosworth played in 1977.

5 hours ago, RC Horn said:

The good old SWC years.  Just about every team in the SWC spent half each practice session on their weekly opponent and the second half preparing for Texas leading up to that game.  Beating the Longhorns was what their season was all about and nothing else, outside of the once every decade or two where they had something of a decent year... 

Kinda sad when you look at almost all the rampant cheating going on in the SWC was done with beating Texas in mind. But for the most part, failed miserably (LOL @aggy).  

On 2/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, Texzilla58 said:

That’s a team not showing up.  OU sucks and all but that was very good team and showed it all year, up to that point.  Switzer was snoozing as he was known to do time to time.  Ole Barry didn’t exactly harbor much hate for the Hogs.  

edit: also the Boz was 12 years old.  What exactly did you expect from him?

Edited by ChiTownDoc

On 2/24/2022 at 10:15 PM, Bullneck said:

It was 1990 but we beat Penn State and lost a close game to Colorado (they used to be good).  Beat aggy 28-27.  I think we were #3 going into the Cotton Bowl. We got beat bad in one game, but that was it.

I did something in 2020 that I never thought I would ever do…I rewatched that game. The first half was not as bad as I expected/remembered. It got uglier as the second half wore on, but all-in-all, it wasn't a 60 minute slaughter. It could have been worse, but most offenses weren’t as explosive then. Some of those UH and OU blowouts were worse.

There was no freezing concrete to suck all of my body heat through my boots, so that was nice. 

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I did something in 2020 that I never thought I would ever do…I rewatched that game. The first half was not as bad as I expected/remembered. It got uglier as the second half wore on, but all-in-all, it wasn't a 60 minute slaughter. It could have been worse, but most offenses weren’t as explosive then. Some of those UH and OU blowouts were worse.

There was no freezing concrete to suck all of my body heat through my boots, so that was nice. 

It was a weird game in that we had 7 sacks and Hadnot gained 100 yards.  But they routinely converted 3rd and 23s and like.  We were down 19-3 at the half so we weren't completely out of it.

• Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Jesus!    No love forFSU in Jim O's last year? Preseason#1 and Jim o quit late in the season with a losing record?

Goddamned spell check!!! I wrote Jimbo twice and it says Jim o??

Spell Check’s way of saying, “Jimbo? What kind of a stupid sounding name is that?”

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RC Horn said:

I know, 1984.

A huge reason for that lack of depth was that we lost a record 18 players from the 1983 team to the NFL draft (don’t forget Mike Ruether in the 1st round of the supplemental draft).

On 2/27/2022 at 12:28 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I know, 1984.

A huge reason for that lack of depth was that we lost a record 18 players from the 1983 team to the NFL draft (don’t forget Mike Ruether in the 1st round of the supplemental draft).

Say what?

LSU placed 14 players in the three-day draft, a record-tying total that was by far the most of any school. Ohio State produced 14 draftees in 2004 to set the mark for the draft's seven-round era. LSU also tied a record for the most players picked in the first three rounds with 10, again knotting them with Ohio State (2016).

On 2/25/2022 at 8:59 AM, boilerhorn said:

I sat in the upper deck through every painful minute of that 66-3 blowout, thinking, "It has to get better.  It has to get better."

As we all know, it did not.

I know what you mean.  

I was watching that game by myself at home and they scored so often and easily  that I kept thinking we are better than they are and we are going to wake up and make a comeback.  

On 2/25/2022 at 9:04 AM, TexArcher said:

Still the only time I've ever left DKR early.  It was 38-0 at halftime and our flasks were empty.  Worst car ride home ever -- 5 young men crammed in a fucking Corolla listening to the rest of the beating on the radio.  I kicked our gate off the hinges and my roommate put his boot through his own tv when the SportsCenter highlights came on.

86-C070-F5-63-FD-4695-ABEE-39-E482072-F4

I practically took a sledge hammer to break one of those old tv screens. If any of you had the money for an early model flat screen, you would’ve ridden home in something nicer than a Corolla. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 6:54 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

That’s a team not showing up.  OU sucks and all but that was very good team and showed it all year, up to that point.  Switzer was snoozing as he was known to do time to time.  Ole Barry didn’t exactly harbor much hate for the Hogs.  

edit: also the Boz was 12 years old.  What exactly did you expect from him?

1977 was a very good team, beat Ohio State in the Shoe and dominated down the stretch.  If it had not been for Erxleben kicking 116yds worth of field goals in Dallas OU is undefeated going in the Orange Bowl.  That team was half drunk and high in Miami though, Switzer's worst game.

• Hook 'Em 1

SWC living in into the 21st century...interdasting

2010 texas started in the top 10 and was sitting in 7th in late september at 3-0.  like 1997, ucla came to austin and disabused everyone of that notion.  finished with losses to thujone's famous murderer's row of baylor, iowa state, kansas state, and okie state in four straight.  also lost to agros and finished 5-7.

2016 texas ascended to 10 i think after beating notre and utep.  lost to kansas.

• Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 3:48 PM, ousux said:
On 2/24/2022 at 3:34 PM, VirginiaLonghorn said:
What year did Miami prove we deserved a spot in this discussion?

Pretty sure the "shock the nation" tour was in 1990, maybe 91

On 2/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, Bullneck said:

It was 1990 but we beat Penn State and lost a close game to Colorado (they used to be good).  Beat aggy 28-27.  I think we were #3 going into the Cotton Bowl. We got beat bad in one game, but that was it.

We beat those 90 Canes in South Bend in a ho hum game that has been purged from history. 

On 2/25/2022 at 7:21 AM, Bateshorn said:

As a complete body of work, it’s absolutely Notre Dame.  The number of times the Irish have coasted through a season feasting on a garbage schedule, getting too much credit for beating a weak USC team, then getting curb stomped by an actual team in the bowl game is really too numerous to count. 

Well it's every third season since St Lou got 'retired.'  

Ohio State is the only reason this thread is not about Michigan.  The Buckeyes usually  stop Michigan at the end of the year, in the way John McKay's Trojans often ended Irish NC dreams in the even numbered years; for odd numbered years the rivalry is played  @ND in October.