Alabama @ Texas Series Thread

TrashMaster G

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Gotta be frustrating.

Travel to play the top-ranked team in the land, in harsh conditions, and play super well, allowing just two earned runs through 16 innings of defense ... yet you're 0-2 because you can't even get on the fucking board.

I feel like the conditions have helped them keep us off the board more so than helping us hold them down, but that might just be the burnt orange sunglasses. 

maybe they can fight their way into a 2 or 3 seed in the Austin regional and see how they fare in warmer weather. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I feel like the conditions have helped them keep us off the board more so than helping us hold them down, but that might just be the burnt orange sunglasses. 

maybe they can fight their way into a 2 or 3 seed in the Austin regional and see how they fare in warmer weather. 

Our stout defense and experienced arms helped a ton against the weather conditions. They have no answers once we score

Just now, DoneWithit said:

Our stout defense and experienced arms helped a ton against the weather conditions. They have no answers once we score

Exactly. The cold is a bitch for offense. We are just next level defensively. They are decent. If it was 80 degrees, lots more Longhorn runs would be scored. Fuck those guys. Fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, as others have said, I think the weather has helped them more than hurt.  We have hit the ball on the screws a dozen times, only to have it knocked down by the stiff wind and cold air.

There was a shot on the telecast last night of a long out by Ivan that he couldn't believe didn't find the gap (or the wall), you can see him say  something to the ump as he heads back to the dugout. I feel like we have had multiple HR or gappers, simply be long-loud outs.  They have hit some too, but we have been hitting the ball solidly all weekend.

24 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Another thing from a staff standpoint— I’m glad Pierce left the freshman Harrison in for ninth, especially after the first batter got on. Let the kid bare down  and show what he’s made of. Can’t wait to see more of Harrison. 

If Pierce thinks they're ready, the earlier in the season you can put young players in stressful situations, the better.

Great learning experience for the young pitcher!!!

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We hit like 4ish homers if it were late March. Wind and cold weather have knocked down a lot of gapers and a few homers. We’ve been squaring them up all weekend  

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

We hit like 4ish homers if it were late March. Wind and cold weather have knocked down a lot of gapers and a few homers. We’ve been squaring them up all weekend  

Stehly would have had 2 today, messinger one, and yesterday Ivan would have had 2 and Hodo one. Just off of memory.  Plus a few gappers that hung up by Todd. 

bama has had some too, but not as many. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Stehly would have had 2 today, messinger one, and yesterday Ivan would have had 2 and Hodo one. Just off of memory.  Plus a few gappers that hung up by Todd. 

bama has had some too, but not as many. 

Yeah so we would’ve won 7-0 and like 5-2 today. 

Whatever. Let’s get another shutout tomorrow to demoralize these fucking pussies 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Last year it was mostly Witt and Quintanilla coming in before Nixon.  Seems like we have all kinds of options this year.  Sthele, Harrison, Southard, Johnson, Blair, Duplantier/Gordon (whoever doesn't pitch during weeks with 2 mid-week games).

Gordon needs to be the midweek dude. He’s gonna be filthy down the stretch. Insane we can’t find innings for Duplantier. He would’ve easily been the closer in 2018

7 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Swap Dayly and Melendez, and also swap Todd and Messinger. 

I agree on swapping Daly and Melendez. But I like Todd in front of Messinger, I think Todd does a good job getting on base and Messinger is starting to hit for power. I could see Mess having the 2nd most RBI’s this year behind Melendez

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The only thing that makes sense to me with Ivan hitting in front of daly is that they want to make sure he hits in the first inning. 

Well the other thing is if they go 123. Having Daly at 4 is pretty much another leadoff that can get on consistently 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I don’t believe in moral victories, but I’m really proud of the way we competed. This is the second day in a row that we out-hit Texas, second day in a row we’ve hit more balls on the barrel and hard. 

Doesn’t believe in morale victories, but believes in moral victories.  

Did they steal this guy from aggy?

49 minutes ago, OB3 said:

I agree on swapping Daly and Melendez. But I like Todd in front of Messinger, I think Todd does a good job getting on base and Messinger is starting to hit for power. I could see Mess having the 2nd most RBI’s this year behind Melendez

That makes sense. I said it earlier but I think Messinger has one of the best approaches on the team. Melendez-Silas-Messinger would be absolute hell for a pitcher to face in that order. The room for error shrinks. 

Edited by DoneWithit

25 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I love when we are discussing the best batting order instead of wanting to replace half of the batters in the order.

Funnily enough, doing it after games we scored 1 run on two wild pitches and 2 runs.

(Obviously, lots of extenuating circumstances. Just funny.)

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Doesn’t believe in morale victories, but believes in moral victories.  

Did they steal this guy from aggy?

And he’s dead ass wrong about the hitting part. We’ve squared them up all weekend. Normal weather would go something like….

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

Yeah so we would’ve won 7-0 and like 5-2 today. 

Whatever. Let’s get another shutout tomorrow to demoralize these fucking pussies 

6 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We could beat them 20-0 and the sec homers would say they aren’t impressedZ so who gives a fuck what bama, arky, aggy and anyone else thinks? Why do we need them to praise our team? 1-0 win is a win like 21-3 is a win. 

who cares about aggy?  They bailed on baseball game like they bailed on bowl game.... fuck them!

7 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We could beat them 20-0 and the sec homers would say they aren’t impressedZ so who gives a fuck what bama, arky, aggy and anyone else thinks? Why do we need them to praise our team? 1-0 win is a win like 21-3 is a win. 

The happiest thing for me about going to the SEC is getting out of the minor leagues of the Big 12 where the average athletic department budget is around $80m (I don’t know what it really is, and I’m not going to look it up - I’m making a point here). 

My second favorite thing about going to the SEC is being a complete shit heel to these mouth breathing unibrows chanting SEC, like loving your conference is something akin to a religion. We are going to be the most hated fan base in this conference in very short order because we’re going to feel like we’re above them. Don’t want to get into football too much, because we’ve got problems there until our next coach, but in baseball and many other sports it’s going to be nut dragging time, and they’re not going to appreciate our approach to how we follow our teams. There’s going to be a lot of A&M fans going “See? See what we’ve had to put up with?” Like those goobers are some kind of martyrs on a cross. It’s what they do so well. 

I’m looking forward to all of it. 

4 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

The happiest thing for me about going to the SEC is getting out of the minor leagues of the Big 12 where the average athletic department budget is around $80m (I don’t know what it really is, and I’m not going to look it up - I’m making a point here). 

My second favorite thing about going to the SEC is being a complete shit heel to these mouth breathing unibrows chanting SEC, like loving your conference is something akin to a religion. We are going to be the most hated fan base in this conference in very short order because we’re going to feel like we’re above them. Don’t want to get into football too much, because we’ve got problems there until our next coach, but in baseball and many other sports it’s going to be nut dragging time, and they’re not going to appreciate our approach to how we follow our teams. There’s going to be a lot of A&M fans going “See? See what we’ve had to put up with?” Like those goobers are some kind of martyrs on a cross. It’s what they do so well. 

I’m looking forward to all of it. 

image.gif.e8430511af7b2c1fc5368ecefdc83a67.gif

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

And he’s dead ass wrong about the hitting part. We’ve squared them up all weekend. Normal weather would go something like….

40 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Heading to the Disch for my first game of the season today. I expect the warmer weather will bring a little more offense for the Horns. I’m guessing Bama’s Sunday starter isn’t as good as Tanner Witt. Maybe Bama fans will be impressed 🤘🏼

Correct.  Bama was spared at least 3 Texas homers by the weather.  And that’s being conservative.

We’ve been spared one.  And that’s being kind to them.

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

Today's starter is Grayson Hitt, a lefty who held Xavier scoreless for 4 innings last Sunday. They pulled him after 64 pitches and only one walk.  Their pitchers are around the plate, so let's put a few over the fence today.

Javier is who we think they are.

Javier.