Best ideas for prequels

billfromlaketravis

i've had serious discussions with people about a midnight run prequel/jack walsh origin story.  may have even mentioned it on here.

1970's jack walsh, the one good cop in a dirty chicago police department, dealing with a kingpin drug runner who was buying all his pals.  he's married with a baby, marriage isn't going great, but they'll figure it out.

this shit writes itself.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I’d watch a Harry Callahan origin story.

There’s an obvious one in High Plains Drifter, but the bad guy wins in the end.

I think the younger days of William Munny is the obvious answer.

There. I did Clint Eastwood. Someone do Paul Newman.

Wes anderson rushmore GIF - Find on GIFER

road to perdition

the verdict

the sting

butch would be too obvious and i'm not sure how interesting cool hand luke would be.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't know if Casablanca is untouchable due to the love for the original cast, but revealing more of the story prior to Rick and Ilsa's reunion in Rick's Cafe Americain (along with some of Victor Laszlo's exploits as a Resistance fighter) would be excellent. Laszlo reveals a little of Rick's background during a chat and it IMO has potential with the right script and cast. No clue if anyone ever attempted it as I don't keep up with cinema to that degree. Due to the many varied characters in the movie, having a solid ensemble and tight dialogue--might work.

• Like 1

I'm not one for big budget thrillers, but I am a sucker for "it's not the thing, but it's the thing that gets us to the thing" narratives.  

A prequel for "Inception."  Not the characters so much, but "The Compound."  How many fucked-up storylines were there while developing the ability for people to share dreams?  How much suffering, mistake, and regret went into the 'cleaner' version we see in the Nolan film?  

• 10 months later...

The Searchers - The life of Ethan Edwards before, during, and right after the Civil War.

Saving Private Ryan - Civilian and pre-DDay life of Captain Miller, his detachment, and the Ryan brothers......with a poignant scene of Ma Ryan sending her boys to war

Casablanca - Sequel - The adventures of Rick and Louis

13 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Saving Private Ryan - Civilian and pre-DDay life of Captain Miller, his detachment, and the Ryan brothers......with a poignant scene of Ma Ryan sending her boys to war

They could make a short film about Ryan’s brother getting it on with the ugly girl in the barn. Saving Ryan’s Privates. 

The Adventures of Harry Lime(broadcast in the United States as The Lives of Harry Lime) is an old-time radio programme produced in the United Kingdom during the 1951 to 1952 season. Orson Wellesreprises his role of Harry Lime from the celebrated 1949 film The Third Man. The radio series is a prequel to the film, and depicts the many misadventures of con-artist Lime in a somewhat lighter tone than that of the film.

3 hours ago, landman said:

True Grit - How did Rooster lose his eye?

Grease - Sandy and Danny meeting over the summer.

Rear Window - How did he break his leg

Debbie Does Dallas - the high school years

Would Sandy be in tight leather pants and/or summer bikini ?  and age appropriate?  Asking for a friend.  

Edited by YGIFS

On 2/26/2022 at 8:34 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't know if Casablanca is untouchable due to the love for the original cast, but revealing more of the story prior to Rick and Ilsa's reunion in Rick's Cafe Americain (along with some of Victor Laszlo's exploits as a Resistance fighter) would be excellent. Laszlo reveals a little of Rick's background during a chat and it IMO has potential with the right script and cast. No clue if anyone ever attempted it as I don't keep up with cinema to that degree. Due to the many varied characters in the movie, having a solid ensemble and tight dialogue--might work.

No. No. Fucking no. Just as Casablanca can never be remade, a prequel is just as impossible. The Mona Lisa doesn't need another brush stroke. Let perfection be. The unknown is what makes the story or Rick, Ilsa and Laszlo so powerful. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world...she walks into mine." Nothing else needs to be said.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

No. No. Fucking no. Just as Casablanca can never be remade, a prequel is just as impossible. The Mona Lisa doesn't need another brush stroke. Let perfection be. The unknown is what makes the story or Rick, Ilsa and Laszlo so powerful. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world...she walks into mine." Nothing else needs to be said.

• Hook 'Em 1

Best ideas for prequels?
Blocking the establishment of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas by the state legislature

Think hard before you wish for this George Bailey.

Aggies exist everywhere. Only in Texas are they segregated to their own little island. Otherwise they would be scattered to the winds to inflict themselves on the rest of us.

22 hours ago, landman said:

Debbie Does Dallas - the high school years

They were in high school.

Debbie Does Dallas

A group of high school cheerleaders, led by Debbie Benton, are practicing their routine while their school's football team also practices. After doing one routine, the girls break to congratulate Debbie on her invitation to join the cheerleading squad of a professional team in Texas (the "Cowgirls") and ask her when she's leaving. Debbie explains that there's a problem. Her parents disapprove of her career choice, and have told her that if she's going to go to Dallas, she has to pay her own way. Lisa says that if she'd won, her folks would be all for it, but Donna cattily reminds her that she didn't win. Tammy asks Debbie what she's going to do, and Debbie states that she plans to raise the money in the two weeks before she has to leave. Annie notes that two weeks isn't really enough time to do so. Rikki states that they'll just have to think of something.