Moving to Maui

Hank_Hill

Job offer fell in my lap. 30% base increase from what I’m making in FW which should theoretically cover the massive COL difference. Would be a 1-2 year thing max. I’m under 30, no kids, wife can’t work above table until we complete the green card process so no real strings. Mainly looking for other peoples experience living on an island, housing search tips, dealing with locals, etc.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

I think you should watch the wonderful documentary, The North Shore. It advises you take up surfing in order to bridge the culture gap between you and the locals. 

You're going to need more money. The COL difference for food alone is going to be high. 

Best of luck. That's a hell of an opportunity that not many get. 

Where would you be based out of? Kahului?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Either Kahului or Lahaina

For flexibility, Kahului would be better. A lot more access to the rest of the island. Lahaina is beautiful though. But shit man, you're playing with house money either way.

I would imagine there are rental agencies you can check with to help you find a place and do virtual tours. You have to think Covid helped usher more of that in. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

That’s the kind of chance you take at your point of life. Do it and don’t look back. 

This is where I’m at. Being in medicine I’ve been practical (not that medicine is a practical choice these days, different discussion) for most of my 20’s. Time for something stupid.

Yea, I’m going to give my current employer a chance to completely blow them out of the water money wise but even then I feel like I’d regret not taking the opportunity down the road. I’ll always come back to Texas at some point, don’t think this re-presents itself.

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, I’m going to give my current employer a chance to completely blow them out of the water money wise but even then I feel like I’d regret not taking the opportunity down the road. I’ll always come back to Texas at some point, don’t think this re-presents itself.

You have a chance to move to one of the most beautiful spots on the planet, be gainfully employed, and have an entire island as your playground. All of this while you are young and kidless. If you don't do this, I may hunt you down and kill you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

@Beau Vine probably has some things to say, not about Maui in particular, but about Hawaii.

I would do it if I were him.  I enjoyed my first couple of years there; it was when I started thinking about staying long-term that I realized it wasn't something I could deal with.  Besides, Maui (especially Lahaina) >>>>>> Honolulu.  

Hank, I'd take Lahaina over Wailuku.  Rains quite a bit less in Lahaina and you're closer to Ka'anapali, where the best beaches are IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I would do it if I were him.  I enjoyed my first couple of years there; it was when I started thinking about staying long-term that I realized it wasn't something I could deal with.  Besides, Maui (especially Lahaina) >>>>>> Honolulu.  

Hank, I'd take Lahaina over Wailuku.  Rains quite a bit less in Lahaina and you're closer to Ka'anapali, where the best beaches are IMO.

Appreciate the input man. Any advice on the ol housing search? The typical online platforms seem pretty bare but seems like word of mouth is more the way in those parts.

And why would you give them a chance to give you a huge raise? In general, all accepted counters do is give your employer a cheap device to replace you on their terms. The huge percentage of accepted counters are gone with a year. You’ve proven now you are looking and will leave for more money in their eyes. It rarely makes a situation better.

You have no kids and a bride willing to be your adventure partner. Few get this kind of opportunity. You can live fine over there on what you’ll make; the CoL is only double if you try to live par to par. Just like folks moving from a 4000 sq ft Texas home to San Francisco or Boston or NYC you will have to compromise sq footage. But what a rush knowing it’s not 7 day/ 6 night vacation.

My wife and I had the opportunity to move all over and enjoyed every place we moved. Take a shot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:34 AM, Hank_Hill said:

Job offer fell in my lap. 30% base increase from what I’m making in FW which should theoretically cover the massive COL difference. Would be a 1-2 year thing max. I’m under 30, no kids, wife can’t work above table until we complete the green card process so no real strings. Mainly looking for other peoples experience living on an island, housing search tips, dealing with locals, etc.

hold up, wife?

did you marry that brazilian chick with the insane ass?

A friend's daughter is 23ish and moved to Maui for a job last year. She loves it. If you need, I can ask if she'll ask her daughter for housing ideas and or a leasing agent contact, and how she makes do with the much higher cost of food there. Cost of housing will be the biggest and most important challenge you'll face so before committing I'd find a way to get an idea of what you're looking at. However, if it were me, I would be basically committed to going and just doing basic due diligence for a huge reason why it wouldn't work.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2022 at 11:13 AM, Chopper said:

A friend's daughter is 23ish and moved to Maui for a job last year. She loves it. If you need, I can ask if she'll ask her daughter for housing ideas and or a leasing agent contact, and how she makes do with the much higher cost of food there. Cost of housing will be the biggest and most important challenge you'll face so before committing I'd find a way to get an idea of what you're looking at. However, if it were me, I would be basically committed to going and just doing basic due diligence for a huge reason why it wouldn't work.

I’d definitely appreciate any extra info man I really appreciate it! Company is helping with relocating including covering the shipping of my car but I’d still like to search on my own as well.

edit: also let her know the wife and I are always open to a 3rd 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’d definitely appreciate any extra info man I really appreciate it! Company is helping with relocating including covering the shipping of my car but I’d still like to search on my own as well.

edit: also let her know the wife and I are always open to a 3rd 

You greedy bastard!

On 2/26/2022 at 8:09 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Appreciate the input man. Any advice on the ol housing search? The typical online platforms seem pretty bare but seems like word of mouth is more the way in those parts.

I was in faculty apartments owned by UH the first month.  We got out of there quickly because it rained literally every day there.  Just kind of drove around the island trying to figure out where we wanted to live, and eventually picked a nice dry, brown valley, found a house for rent there, applied, and got it.  Like most places, the rental market is extremely easy if you've got a good job.

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I was in faculty apartments owned by UH the first month.  We got out of there quickly because it rained literally every day there.  Just kind of drove around the island trying to figure out where we wanted to live, and eventually picked a nice dry, brown valley, found a house for rent there, applied, and got it.  Like most places, the rental market is extremely easy if you've got a good job.

Yea after some digging there’s a good amount of places. Biggest issue is my dog, very not pet friendly landlords. Like, 90% against so far.

• 4 weeks later...