Moving to Maui

Hank_Hill

• 1 month later...

fuckyeah-hotfuzz.gif

Road to Hana, yet? You can hit the black sand beach.

Have you done the top of Haleakala at sunrise? Is that the 2nd to the bottom pic or is that at sunset?

If I had the free time, I would camp in the crater. I sat, much to my wife's unhappiness, at the top of the crater for about 30 minutes just watching the clouds move through . I could've stayed in that spot for the entire day. Old photo from 2012. 

DSCN4677.JPG

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

fuckyeah-hotfuzz.gif

Road to Hana, yet? You can hit the black sand beach.

Have you done the top of Haleakala at sunrise? Is that the 2nd to the bottom pic or is that at sunset?

If I had the free time, I would camp in the crater. I sat, much to my wife's unhappiness, at the top of the crater for about 30 minutes just watching the clouds move through . I could've stayed in that spot for the entire day. Old photo from 2012. 

DSCN4677.JPG

Got a night in Hana planned in October for my 30th so we can take our time through all the stops and not try to knock it all out in 1 day. That pic is at sunset. That place is special man, some weird energy up there. Probably just the altitude sickness. 

3 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Got a night in Hana planned in October for my 30th so we can take our time through all the stops and not try to knock it all out in 1 day. That pic is at sunset. That place is special man, some weird energy up there. Probably just the altitude sickness. 

Hana is special. Definitely take your time. We did it on the final day of our trip. Woke up at 5am and packed up the rental. Drove over to Paia and got coffee and food for the day. Our flight was at 9pm that evening so we figured it was best to head to our final point first to get past all the traffic. We drove straight to Waimoku Falls and then backtracked. That was before navigation on phones was good so we had a CD and a map. It was great. Hit all the spots we wanted to hit on the way back. Stopped off at Ho'okipa Beach to see the turtles one last time. Had dinner at Johnny B's which is no longer there. Got to the airport and took the flight home. Slept like a baby. 

The top of that crater feels like about as close as you can get to what it must look like on Mars. Honestly, if I were dying of some disease and knew my time was soon, park me up on that crater overlooking that beautiful valley for my final moments. That's how I'd like to go out. 

• Like 1

my sister and i did the downhill bike ride from the top of Haleakala in 2016. my BIL had just died two weeks prior (trip was already planned with dad), we went ahead and went as some sort of cathartic mourning event, can't explain it really...

anyway, we got to the top and then both just held each other and cried as we took it all in. it was definitely a moment. other wordly. 

20171210_131737.thumb.jpg.747cf994f65ef2a3df46d449292b0c4d.jpg

we stopped about halfway down and had a picnic on the side of the road. 

20161016_124147.thumb.jpg.78ea624357a071e2172a2ab44cd5e328.jpg

eucalyptus forest on the way down, i still remember the smell. my sister 🙂

20161016_125543.thumb.jpg.f51c40bd575f06d02503907b74cde906.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, RPM said:

The only question was why are you taking so long?

If somebody offered me a move-in position at my rating I'd leap on it and cut a bitch that tried to take it from me.

Yea, looking back can’t believe I even questioned it. I’d never been out here before though. 3 months in and I’m making more and spending less than I was in FW and am surrounded by this so couldn’t be happier. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, looking back can’t believe I even questioned it. I’d never been out here before though. 3 months in and I’m making more and spending less than I was in FW and am surrounded by this so couldn’t be happier. 

Tend to spend more in  a Tx city bc ain’t much free worthwhile to do, gotta try to sadly fill the void with expensive food/drank/events

5 hours ago, bluto said:

Tend to spend more in  a Tx city bc ain’t much free worthwhile to do, gotta try to sadly fill the void with expensive food/drank/events

Yea this is exactly it. Pretty sleepy island with all the big events/clubs in Honolulu.  Eating out is obviously more expensive but noticed we’re doing it less without a real effort to do so. Also bringing drinks to the beach >>> going to the bars every weekend like I was. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2022 at 3:00 PM, Hank_Hill said:

How true is it that the locals shun people who move out there from the mainland? I have always liked the idea but always gets the impression they feel intruded upon?

I don’t have much interaction with locals outside of service industry and those that I’m treating so don’t have the best gauge, but the few real interactions I’ve had have been nothing but pleasant. Don’t be a dick and don’t go places you shouldn’t and it’s fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
I don’t have much interaction with locals outside of service industry and those that I’m treating so don’t have the best gauge, but the few real interactions I’ve had have been nothing but pleasant. Don’t be a dick and don’t go places you shouldn’t and it’s fine. 
Where shouldn't you go?

14 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 11/13/2022 at 4:28 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Where shouldn't you go?

Private property just like anywhere else. People get ballsy on the road to Hana and don’t respect that and can run in to some issues

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 11/13/2022 at 8:28 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Where shouldn't you go?

Haven't you watched Blue Crush or about 100 other surfing movies, Haole?

• Haha 2