MLS 2022

Captain Ron

Kept considering starting this thread over the last 36 hours, but didn’t know if I needed a big first post. 

Think that FC Dallas Houston Dynamo will likely use this thread as well considering the following isn’t as numerous or as rabid as Austin FC’s on this site.

FC DALLAS NOTES:

1) Gregg was at the Dallas vs Toronto game on Saturday evening. 

2) Paul Arriola looked good, got an assist AND narrowly missed curling in a goal… both with his left foot. He played on both the left & right wings…

Arriola will be in the final World Cup Qualifier squad.

3) Jesús Ferreira was active, but a bit mistake prone. Didn’t scream stud. 

4) Paxton Pomykal was quite average. Playing in the midfield (vs the wing like last fall), he wasn’t dangerous offensively at all and I’m not sure he was that good defensively either.

5) If the new coach is implementing Gregg’s system (after being his assistant for 4-5 years), the flow of FC Dallas players to the national team will continue this season. (WC qualifying & Nations League.)

My big problem about MLS is that they don't put games on broadcast television and televise them nationally. If they did that, they would increase their viewership. One of my older brothers said, "Sundays usually aren't a good day for tv, but I guarantee you in the spring and summer if MLS put 2 games on FOX and CBS on Sundays like the NFL does, people would watch it; even those who don't care about soccer would watch the match because it's a sport." 

On 2/28/2022 at 9:01 AM, Longboard Horn said:

My big problem about MLS is that they don't put games on broadcast television and televise them nationally. If they did that, they would increase their viewership. One of my older brothers said, "Sundays usually aren't a good day for tv, but I guarantee you in the spring and summer if MLS put 2 games on FOX and CBS on Sundays like the NFL does, people would watch it; even those who don't care about soccer would watch the match because it's a sport." 

MLS has a nationwide broadcasting. The package is split across a number of networks. For English you get ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, Fox and FS1. Spanish adds Univision, UniMas (exclusives), ESPN Deportes and Fox Deportes (just Spanish versions of the English feed).

My complaint about the broadcasting is that it doesn't feel like the networks (DIsney or Fox) push these products as priority. They feel lost in a sea of content.

My primary complaint about the league is that the regular season is basically worthless. They play 34 games for nothing. Oh sure, there is seeding, but because they have a single elimination tournament to hand out the MLS Cup, they aren't realistically trying to find the best team (same team wins Supporters Shield + MLS Cup - 7 times ever). Last year the #1 teams were knocked out early, I think 3 of the top 4 teams in each league were out by the 2nd week of the playoffs. It's just garbage.

They fact that they aren't playing 2-leg ties to determine round winners is a joke.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

My primary complaint about the league is that the regular season is basically worthless. They play 34 games for nothing. Oh sure, there is seeding, but because they have a single elimination tournament to hand out the MLS Cup, they aren't realistically trying to find the best team (same team wins Supporters Shield + MLS Cup - 7 times ever). Last year the #1 teams were knocked out early, I think 3 of the top 4 teams in each league were out by the 2nd week of the playoffs. It's just garbage.

They fact that they aren't playing 2-leg ties to determine round winners is a joke.

Yeah in high school all my Euro friends asked why it's single elimination for the MLS Cup. You have to have 2 legs in tournaments. It's still too "Americanized."

On 2/28/2022 at 1:57 PM, TxEx84 said:

The Portland-New England games was national on Fox on Saturday.  Good day of going to Austin FC game and then watching the Timbers (second favorite team) that night.

Yes that was a national game, but they need to do that with ALL of the MLS games. Like my brother said, put two games on Saturday and Sunday across Fox, ABC, NBC and CBS and people will watch it. MLS either doesn't seem to care about that or is heavily under ESPN contracts. 

1) The Playoffs used to be home-and-away, but it took too much time.

2) The Copa Libertadores Final is home-and-away. The UEFA Champions League is too North American.

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Just when I think maybe I will give the Revs a chance I find out this shit

image.thumb.png.690d3ab3474fc12cc25377c6614a8a89.png

frustrated the wire GIF

3) Where have you been the last Month or Two ?

Lletget is back with his old coach. 

Don’t know how long Becky G will stay with an aging soccer star who’s no longer on the national team and lives in the greater Boston area.

My guess is that soon her publicist will issue a statement that Beck & Sebastian continue to support each other are will remain the best of friends, but they have mutually decided to end their romantic relationship due to difficulties of being separated from each other. Lletget will learn about this upon checking his phone for congratulatory Tweets after he provides the assist that brings the Revs back from a 2-0 deficit on the road against an atrocious FC Cincinnati squad.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

3) Where have you been the last Month or Two ?

That would invovle actually caring about MLS news. That never happens for me. Outside of guys going to real leagues.

Don’t know how long Becky G will stay with an aging soccer star who’s no longer on the national team and lives in the greater Boston area.

My guess is that soon her publicist will issue a statement that Beck & Sebastian continue to support each other are will remain the best of friends, but they have mutually decided to end their romantic relationship due to difficulties of being separated from each other. Lletget will learn about this upon checking his phone for congratulatory Tweets after he provides the assist that brings the Revs back from a 2-0 deficit on the road against an atrocious FC Cincinnati squad.

On how he finds out - LOL

On the other one, I mean ...

giselle-tom-600x450-1.jpg

(granted, she did get him to move to Florida)

75,000 in attendance for the CharlotteFC v LA Galaxy match right now on Fox. Wow. 
I was there and it was amazing. There's a video on Twitter, but the sound went out during the national anthem and the entire crowd joined in to sing it. One of the coolest things I've ever been a part of.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, iodeac said:

I was there and it was amazing. There's a video on Twitter, but the sound went out during the national anthem and the entire crowd joined in to sing it. One of the coolest things I've ever been a part of.

MUCH better than listening to someone warble through the song like they are auditioning for American Idol/The Voice. 

Re: Galaxy Goal

It must have been a bummer to see that shot go in, but man!!! What a banger!!

Of course that shot could have been prevented if the defense had closed the guy down vs giving him all the time he needed to measure it up and then wind up and crush the ball, but it was a spectacular strike. 

MUCH better than listening to someone warble through the song like they are auditioning for American Idol/The Voice. 

Re: Galaxy Goal
It must have been a bummer to see that shot go in, but man!!! What a banger!!
Of course that shot could have been prevented if the defense had closed the guy down vs giving him all the time he needed to measure it up and then wind up and crush the ball, but it was a spectacular strike. 
It kinda stunk but you had to take your hat off since the goal was amazing.

Charlotte FC isn't a very good team right now other than the goalkeeper. The score should have been 3-0 or so. Their passing needs a lot of work, too many long balls and their finishing is really bad. All in all I think the city will really show up and keep supporting the team. It's funny because David Tepper owns both the Panthers and Charlotte FC, and the energy last is something Panthers fans haven't seen in years.

It amazes me how people don't understand the correlation between a stadium out in BFE and a stadium in the heart of a city being a factor in drawing fans. The Revs are out in the sticks, and they wonder why their home opener looked like this (and let's ignore the fact that they play in Gillette for just a sec).

• Haha 1

Jesus, does Legit know nothing but holding up play? I'm watching Revs-Pumas in the CCL and dude had a wide open space ahead of him - holds it up.

BTW - if you want to watch something entertaining, turn this game on. We've had 2" of snow thus far and they might just get a little bit more before this game is over.

19 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Alan Velasco might be the straight up truth.  19 year old Argentinian.  FC Dallas's biggest signing ever.  He could be the real deal.  Scored on Saturday night in his debut after coming on as a second half sub.

Don’t know if you watched the game, but after the game ended and after the Argies took some time to hug each other, the players were wandering around the pitch shaking hands and Walker Zimmerman came up to Velasco and asked to trade shirts with him. 😁 He had a front row seat watching Velasco take that ball 60+ yards and score and he knows that that kid is going to be something. 

Also, a bit after that, Arriola was explaining to Zimmerman that he had to dive when Zimmerman hit him in the back in the penalty box. It was an embarrassing dive, but even after reviewing it, the ref let it stand.

That savviness from Arriola is why he’s going to be on the roster for the final three games of WC qualifying. Jesús Ferreira should have taken a dive against El Salvador (?) in the first game of the last window, but tried to fight through it and ended up fucking up his rushed shot. You need players who know when to dive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

DFW area MLS fans, we need to have a Surly tailgate/meetup for at least one FC Dallas game this season(maybe more depending on everyone's schedules). @Jive Turkey would you be down? @Zepol87 and I have discussed it. Would like to meet more Surly members that like soccer.

i'm in.  need to look at the schedule to find a good weekend when it's warmer but not too hot.

22 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

i saw that.  very cool.  

i may head out to Frisco on Saturday for the Portland game.  should be fun.

I will be there. Shoot me a message if you want to kick it before the game. Velasco? Yea he is the truth

Edited by Zepol87

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lletget's dumbass sent his PK about 70 feet over the top of the goal.

This loss is all on Arena. If you score one goal, then Pumas has to score 5 to beat you. And he just bunkers for 90 minutes despite it being even in possession in the home leg. Pumas is going to have more possession at home, but everyone was just hoofing it up rather than make wide open, routine 10 yard passes. Fucking retarded.

I mean, you are probably going to give up goals to a Mexican team when they are home, so you have to fucking assault their goal to get that first one. Just high pressure craziness. It does not fucking matter if you give up one or two goals as long has you get yours. Holy fuck, moronic. Should not have gone to penalty kicks.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

This loss is all on Arena. If you score one goal, then Pumas has to score 5 to beat you. And he just bunkers for 90 minutes despite it being even in possession in the home leg. Pumas is going to have more possession at home, but everyone was just hoofing it up rather than make wide open, routine 10 yard passes. Fucking retarded.

I mean, you are probably going to give up goals to a Mexican team when they are home, so you have to fucking assault their goal to get that first one. Just high pressure craziness. It does not fucking matter if you give up one or two goals as long has you get yours. Holy fuck, moronic. Should not have gone to penalty kicks.

Agree.  And I watched the game.  A goal was easily there for the taking.  Well, it's not like Arena to flame out of a tourney on foreign soil as the favorite.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Agree.  And I watched the game.  A goal was easily there for the taking.  Well, it's not like Arena to flame out of a tourney on foreign soil as the favorite.

Possession was there for the taking and they were just giving it away; they weren't even trying to counter attack with the little possession they had, just booted it as far as they could, just ridiculous.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

We discussed the TV deal a few weeks back, here is a good piece on it.

Fuck, it's a chicken or the egg thing with the talent in this league. If you don't have a major infusion of tv cash you have to live with this slow and unsatisfying growth. Hopefully Amazon throws a billion at MLS for an investment.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, NoctambulantBrobdingnagian said:

Fuck, it's a chicken or the egg thing with the talent in this league. If you don't have a major infusion of tv cash you have to live with this slow and unsatisfying growth. Hopefully Amazon throws a billion at MLS for an investment.

They need to also throw in USL games with the extra money, because more money would mean more imports… which means fewer Americans on TV for MLS games. 

If you want the yutes to watch domestic soccer, you need representation on TV/streaming.