MLS 2022

Captain Ron

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Jesus scores again. Leads MLS 

And then Arriola scores!

And then Jesús scores AGAIN!

It’s mid-May and Jesús already has 9 (NINE) goals! 9 for #9!

There were passing combinations that were full on Liverpool/Barcelona-inspired. 

My goodness FC Dallas is just a joy to watch. 

Edited by Napoleon

The Messi shit makes sense. It will happen. 

He needs to get over here while he still has something left in the tank. If the World Cup were in the summer, there’s no way he would play again for PSG. 

Miami is an even bigger shit show than PSG, but with almost no talent. 

18 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The Messi shit makes sense. It will happen. 

He needs to get over here while he still has something left in the tank. If the World Cup were in the summer, there’s no way he would play again for PSG. 

Miami is an even bigger shit show than PSG, but with almost no talent. 

I would invest in Nashville or Charlotte before Miami. 

• 2 weeks later...

The stars are aligning for our boy Horvath who has just been promoted to the Premiership with the rest of Nottingham Forest. Pretty soon we'll be calling him the Sheriff of Nottingham (who really wasn't a bad guy in the Robin Hood novel).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 7:54 PM, yoladu said:

75,000 in attendance for the CharlotteFC v LA Galaxy match right now on Fox. Wow. 

They should be glad they have this huge freaking big top, because that franchise is a freaking clown show

Charlotte FC fires its first head coach halfway through inaugural MLS season

Something about not meshing with the front office.

Along with that, their GM quit before the season (before they ever played games) to go be the GM of Columbus.

Like I said, clown show.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Hopefully they contract out games to local stations, And some national networks. 

Disappearing completely to AppleTV is a great way to kill a league.

This is only the streaming service, not the TV one, so they won't vanish to Apple TV.

It's going to be exactly what ESPN+ is now, they are just going to get the local feeds and put them all up on there.

Where I think this could be better is that it sounds like they are also going to put up the games that are nationally broadcast too, which ESPN doesn't (can't?) do now. There is nothing worse for me looking for the Austin FC game, can't find it on ESPN+ and then needing to hit the web or just flat hunt on the TV for which channel at that time has the national game.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 1:11 PM, Jive Turkey said:

The west just got tougher for FCD, Austin FC, and Houston. 

I am curious to see how this move prepares him for the World Cup. You have seen a few national team coaches look away from players in the MLS players because they don't take it seriously. If Bale gets to Qatar in good shape and form, you might see that stop.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

I am curious to see how this move prepares him for the World Cup. You have seen a few national team coaches look away from players in the MLS players because they don't take it seriously. If Bale gets to Qatar in good shape and form, you might see that stop.

I mean its Wales, depth isn't exactly exuding from them unlike when Giovincio won the MVP several years ago and Italy said no thank you. Zlatan came in and wreck some havoc within minutes and was one of the best players in MLS for two years immediatly and really didn't get called back either. I think Bale is well suited to contribute right away and even if he doesn't there is zero chance Wales wouldn't call him in for the WC regardless of form. 

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I mean its Wales, depth isn't exactly exuding from them unlike when Giovincio won the MVP several years ago and Italy said no thank you. Zlatan came in and wreck some havoc within minutes and was one of the best players in MLS for two years immediatly and really didn't get called back either. I think Bale is well suited to contribute right away and even if he doesn't there is zero chance Wales wouldn't call him in for the WC regardless of form. 

Bale is their fucking captain. 

He is the best player in Group B.

Why the F would anyone think that he wouldn’t be selected for the World Cup roster.

We need a test to prevent full on regarded posts like the one above. 

Realize this - I am not talking about IF he is going. HE'S GOING.

What I'm talking about is how does he look when he's there? Is he going to be in form and ready to go? Or will feasting on MLS lifers slow him down a bit and will he need to take some time to get back up to speed?

Whatever move he made this summer was going to be to prepare him for playing in Qatar. The question I have is "Is the MLS enough to do that?"

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/28/2022 at 2:47 AM, Napoleon said:

He is the best player in Group B.

Dude not even fucking close. Are you serious? England has 10 guys in better form than him right now (at least).

Edited by ztejas

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude not even fucking close. Are you serious? England has 10 guys in better form than him right now (at least).

[WRONG! gif]

He is the Nick Kyrgios of Group B, only with the skins on the wall. 

His ability is insane, he just doesn’t put in the work. 

Only Harry Kane is worthy of carrying Gareth Bale’s jock. But Gareth is superior. He just doesn’t care about club. Only country. And that’s okay. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 1:26 AM, shnsajax said:

Sacramento Republic just knocked off SKC to make the US Open final vs Orlando. They shouldn't be treated as the underdog either.

Defector has a piece up on Sacramento Republic

https://defector.com/second-division-sacramento-republic-is-on-a-magical-open-cup-run/

That might be paywalled, if so their key note: Sacramento has beaten 3 straight MLS teams to make it here: San Jose Earthquakes (2-0), LA Galaxy (2-1) and then Sporting KC in PKs.

Down 3-4 in round 4:

Graham Zusi in round 5:

And then at 4-4:

The final is Sept 7 in Orlando.

Edited by Captain Ron

I feel like if the MLS shield winner and cup champion are different then they should play each other to see who goes to the club world cup. 

I mean - that's such a simple thing to implement that would instantly make the league better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

I feel like if the MLS shield winner and cup champion are different then they should play each other to see who goes to the club world cup. 

I mean - that's such a simple thing to implement that would instantly make the league better. 

But the Club World Cup team is the CCL winner. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

But the Club World Cup team is the CCL winner. 

Yeah I had it all fucked up. The MLS conference winners and the cup winner qualify for CL, plus the US Open winner. If one of the conference winners wins the cup the 3rd best team goes. 

So - the way they do it is solid. Cool. 

9 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

SoFi looks like a fun ass scene. LAFC-Americs tied up. 

Hope we can get a good Champions league going in MLS/Liga MX and start exporting some badass teams to the club world cup. 

Edited by ztejas

That should probably be a red card, right? Chielini obviously knew it would be a yellow but he's intentionally stopping a break and is going against the spirit of the game. 

I guess there's a defender between the ball and the goal still. Yellow probably the right decision.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

DeAndre Yedlin not exactly covering himself in glory tonight. 

-Tons of direct passes to the Liga MX players
-Easily could have been called for a handball/PK.

He hasn't been great for the NT either. Needs to be processed out. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The talking YouTubers/Podcasters seem to think that he’s now favored as the 2nd RB… which would be scary. 

He would be the only player with World Cup experience, but bring him as an alternate. Keep him with the team. Pay him like an assistant coach, but do not choose him as the #2 RB.

On 8/11/2022 at 9:03 AM, ztejas said:

On 8/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, Napoleon said:

The talking YouTubers/Podcasters seem to think that he’s now favored as the 2nd RB… which would be scary. 

He would be the only player with World Cup experience, but bring him as an alternate. Keep him with the team. Pay him like an assistant coach, but do not choose him as the #2 RB.

Been off the Yedlin bandwagon for a few years now, but I'll say this: he performed better in qualifying than I expected.

Still, as both of y'all have noted, the USMNT has better options and should utilize them.