MLS 2022

Captain Ron

6 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

This kind of demonstrates the clown show the MLS is. Not having a dedicated championship location means they can’t command the area around the stadium. And they don’t have the size/pull of MLB or NBA to dictate terms on the roaming location. 

Perfect storm Re: parking issues, but for now, I much prefer the better record hosting the final.

1) It rewards the regular season.

2) It ensures a sold out venue.

This MLS Cup is pretty fucking fun.  This isn’t a downer of a final where both teams are parking the bus. 

NOTE: There is a bit of feigning major head injuries to hopefully draw yellow cards. 
Shockingly this is being carried out more by the Latinos than the English as a first language players… though Kellyn Acosta has partaken a bit. 😎😁

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Wow! So close to a scramble goal but the ball did not want former FC Dallas’ Ryan Hollingshead to smash it into the net off of former FC Dallas’ Kellyn Acosta for the winning goal late in stoppage time. 

SIDE NOTE: World Series Preview has been put on hold. 😂

Baseball olds are going to be pissed off that soccer is upstaging the lead-in of their possible World Series winning Game 6. 😎

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

I approve of FOX’s decision not to show a gruesome replay. 

It absolutely should be a red card

Word must have come down from above that it was a red if the ref does actually brandish a red… and there you go.

UPDATE: At least now we know it wasn’t a head injury.

Edited by Napoleon

This LAFC keeper, John McCarthy, did a great job of jumping up and then coming down to load his legs ready to spring to a side and could read the movement and spring the correct direction because he was in the perfect springing position. 

Blake didn’t have nearly the spring in his legs ready to go the way he chose. He guessed right two times, but didn’t have the explosion that McCarthy had. 

I would say that McCarthy’s hopping technique should be studied by all keepers… and then by field players.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Napoleon said:

This LAFC keeper, John McCarthy, did a great job of jumping up and then coming down to load his legs ready to spring to a side and could read the movement and spring the correct direction because he was in the perfect springing position. 

Blake didn’t have nearly the spring in his legs ready to go the way he chose. He guessed right two times, but didn’t have the explosion that McCarthy had. 

I would say that McCarthy’s hopping technique should be studied by all keepers… and then by field players.

blake stopped 1 out of 4. That’s fine. Philly’s 1st kicker kicking it out of the fucking stadium set a bad tone. 

48 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Blake stopped 1 out of 4. That’s fine. Philly’s 1st kicker kicking it out of the fucking stadium set a bad tone. 

Blake guessed correctly on 3 of the 4 kicks, but lacked the explosion to get to the two hard kicks. 

If he had more explosion on his jumps, he could have stopped at least one of those two kicks. He just seemed to lean and then extend. He didn’t fire out toward those shots. 

MLS moving to Apple TV for ‘23…

To all our fans - thank you for everything in 2022!

Looking ahead to 2023, MLS has a new home on Apple TV.

Every Club. Every Match. Every Screen.

Get ready for every epic performance.

Click to learn more, and be the first to to know all about the new MLS streaming service.

From mls.com

Fans can get every live MLS match by subscribing to a new MLS streaming service, available exclusively through the Apple TV app.

A broad selection of MLS and Leagues Cup matches, including some of the biggest matchups, will also be available at no additional cost to Apple TV+ subscribers, with a limited number of matches available for free.

So this means in order to watch games, I have to pay for a subscription on top of Apple TV? Will Austin FC games still be available OTA? If not, fuck all of this.

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Every Club. Every Match. Every Screen.

5 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I have to pay for a subscription on top of Apple TV?

Will Austin FC games still be available OTA?

If not, fuck all of this.

What about “Every Club. Every Match. Every Screen.” was confusing?

19 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

From mls.com

So this means in order to watch games, I have to pay for a subscription on top of Apple TV? Will Austin FC games still be available OTA? If not, fuck all of this.

This is simply the streaming package that is going to be replace ESPN-.

The MLS still has to renegotiate TV deals for nationally televised games.

And unless the MLS is going to take over broadcasting of every team, local teams will still have their local TV packages (which is where all these streams come from), because they need that revenue stream to make money.

And yes this is an EXTRA fee on top of Apple TV, though it appears that season ticket holders will have free subscriptions.

Edited by Captain Ron

I'm pretty bullish on the Apple TV deal. MLS as a brand has never been cool – though they've come leaps and bounds the last few years – and Apple absolutely crushes branding, aesthetic, and user experience. Obviously they can only do so much as a broadcaster, but they're pretty heavily invested in this and I think they will take the league forward.

Their sizzle reel is fantastic and I hope it's a sign of things to come. The league has long needed a Match of the Day show that's worth a damn and I would imagine Apple has something up their sleeve for this.

One thing that I find funny about MLS is how fans only watch their team, and generally speaking have no clue about other teams in the league. I'm not sure if Apple will be able to help in that regard but I think a good highlights production could really change general knowledge of the league.

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

And unless the MLS is going to take over broadcasting of every team, local teams will still have their local TV packages (which is where all these streams come from), because they need that revenue stream to make money

There aren’t going to be local broadcasts anymore.  Further they aren’t going to have the team sided broadcast teams.  It’s going to be done by Apple.  As I understand it they don’t have their broadcast staff even close to worked out yet.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Incredulity said:

There aren’t going to be local broadcasts anymore.  Further they aren’t going to have the team sided broadcast teams.  It’s going to be done by Apple.  As I understand it they don’t have their broadcast staff even close to worked out yet.  

Thanks for the follow up. Good to know.

That made me search for this.

Here are some good answers to some questions:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nashvillesc/2022/06/14/explaining-major-league-soccer-apple-exclusive-media-rights-deal/7622912001/

Snippets:

Will MLS be aired on linear TV?
Linear rights negotiations are ongoing with ESPN, Univision and FOX to televise MLS matches.

What deal means for local broadcasts
MLS matches will not be aired on local television. 

MLS, Apple create strict kickoff times
In 2023, matches will kick off almost simultaneously. No more weird kickoff times.

This might lose some personalization, but I think they are aiming more to be like the EPL. I think it is a good move.

On the one hand, consumers tend to value your product more when you charge them more. On the other, yeah, no one is going to pay for this.

The major sticking point for me is that I generally dgaf about clubs other than my own, except when it comes down to a late-season playoff race or if there's a Supporters Shield to be won. No promotion/relegation, a regular season that doesn't matter nearly the same way as it does in European leagues, and because of conferences – I just don't care about a June match between NYCFC and Minnesota.

The league is evolving ever so slowly, and Apple coming onboard with a vested interested in improving the quality of the product, gives me hope that it can be a league that I genuinely care about as much as the PL. But there's a long way to go for sure and if I wasn't a season ticket holder, I doubt I'd pay $15/month for the season pass.

• 4 weeks later...

An MLS player has made it to the World Cup final for the first time ever

Andy Deossa

Andy Deossa

image.jpeg.766be5cdcf58b2e92a8e66740ad51c46.jpeg

The growth of Major League Soccer continues to be highlighted, and the 2022 World Cup is only boosting that case.

Heading into the tournament, 36 MLS players were featured on rosters competing in Qatar. Some of the more notable ones were among those that have already shined on the world stage such as Gareth Bale, Xherdan Shaqiri and Hector Herrera among others. But for anyone that follows the league closely, it is many of the talented younger players who continue displaying how far MLS has come in its 28 years of existence.

And the World Cup final between Argentina and France or Morocco will feature yet another milestone for the league as Atlanta United’s Thiago Almada becomes the first active MLS player to reach that game…

[There’s more, but I’m done with copying & pasting.]

https://sports.yahoo.com/argentina-thiago-almada-mls-world-cup-final-atlanta-united-230525911.html

On 12/13/2022 at 10:24 PM, Ted Lange said:

Telemundo has passed on MLS, so zero MLS games on tv other than one or 2 a week on FS1.   No local broadcasts either.   How fucking stupid.  

Yeah I'm worried about it. It'll be nice for us fans to just get AppleTV and watch our team, the MLS highlight show, and some MLSNext Pro games but it's going to really hurt the casual fan.

Forget the casual fan. This isn’t going to grow the league at all. This might cause viewership to shrink. I think the money is good and all, but they really needed something that would help grow the game. They needed to get some games on TV.

More importantly they need something that will get fans interested in these players & teams. They need show like the old NBA Inside Stuff or dare I say Welcome to Wrexham. Something that will get fans interested in the players and teams in a different way than just on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’d say a show like Drive to Survive would have the best effect.  

Reading a bit more about the deal, the Athletic claims ~40% of the league matches will be in front of the paywall.  Be it FS1 or the free version of AppleTv.  But people will still have to jump thru hoops to watch, other than the 2-3 matches on FS1 a week.  They are betting on streaming.   In the short term, I can’t see how viewership is down anything less than 30-50%.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would hope that all local games will be in front of the paywall. Kinda like the NFL does where if a game is on cable, it'll be shown OTA in the two home markets. I'm fine with watching Austin FC games on Apple. I'm not fine with having to pay for every MLS game when all I want to watch is Austin and I live three miles from the stadium.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I would hope that all local games will be in front of the paywall. Kinda like the NFL does where if a game is on cable, it'll be shown OTA in the two home markets. I'm fine with watching Austin FC games on Apple. I'm not fine with having to pay for every MLS game when all I want to watch is Austin and I live three miles from the stadium.

Unless something changes, all home games will not be in front of the paywall.   If you are a season ticket holder, you will get access to all home games for free tho.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1