90s to 10's country music star

closetohumping

This is the era of country music that I grew up with and even then the olds hated most of the stars.  Name a country music star, from that error, that you can play their music in a true country bar, in the south, and not get thrown over the Florida-Georgia Line?

Alan Jackson

Colin Raye?

Clint Black?

George Strait does not count.  He was a star well before the 90's. As a now old, I think country music gets worse every year.

42 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yeah this is where is really started to get bad with Kenny Chesney and what not. I’ll submit “Alabama” as an answer to your question 

problem with Alabama is they are like George based on his criteria...they were pretty huge stars before the 90s 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Yeah this is where is really started to get bad with Kenny Chesney and what not. I’ll submit “Alabama” as an answer to your question 

Alabama?  I think they were old by the 90's?  

Kenny just reeks of being a tool bag but he had some great songs.  But if you played them in a honky tonk, yes, you would get thrown out or profiled.

Also, what about he who must not be named......Garth Brooks

Edited by closetohumping

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Alabama?  I think they were old by the 90's?  

Kenny just reeks of being a tool bag but he had some great songs.  But if you played them in a honky tonk, yes, you would get thrown out or profiled.

Also, what about he who must not be named......Garth Brooks

Garth Brooks would depend on the age of the clientele.  Anyone in a honky tonk born before 1975 probably hates his guts.  After that, you'd probably be fine.  It's nearly impossible for "Friends in Low Places" to not turn into a sing-along.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I fucking hate Garth Brooks. But I play Much Too Young in our duo. Because it’s a great song.

But that’s the only one I’m willing to play.

And yes pre-75 here.

Garth annoys the shit out of me too.  But, there's some undeniable greatness in his history.  Hate to say it.  Standing outside the Fire, Thunder Rolls, The Dance, etc. 

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Garth annoys the shit out of me too.  But, there's some undeniable greatness in his history.  Hate to say it.  Standing outside the Fire, Thunder Rolls, The Dance, etc. 

Born in 85. I loved Garth as a kid. My first tapes and CDs were Garth. Haven’t listened to him in years, I don’t know if he is even on a streaming platform. 

Did go to his show about 5 years ago and it was a great sing along.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

Born in 85. I loved Garth as a kid. My first tapes and CDs were Garth. Haven’t listened to him in years, I don’t know if he is even on a streaming platform. 

Did go to his show about 5 years ago and it was a great sing along.

Minus going to a show, this is very much my experience (we're the same age).  I had Garth tapes and CDs in the mid 90's and loved it.  I haven't gone out of my way to listen in years, but you almost don't have to.  I still hear Garth Books in the rural Midwest on a weekly basis.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bluto said:

The f is Randy Travis on here?

I thought about him, but to me Randy is an 80s guy like George/Alabama etc. who was already well established when the 90s hit....Reba definitely falls into that as well

• Hook 'Em 2