Texas vs. baylor - 8pm on ESPN

Pancho

9 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Better in what way? He had a much better team around him.

Aldridge, Dowell, Gibson, Tucker, and MIke Williams all left after the 2007 season. 

Durant, Augustin, James and Mason were freshman starters who all averaged over 25mpg as freshmen. 

The only non freshmen who played a significant role on the team were senior AJ Abrams, who was a ball hogging, narcissistic black hole who often made the team worse on both ends of the floor, and Connor Atchley at 18mpg. 

There's are a couple of reasons why the team suddenly improved after losing one of the greatest players in the history of basketball. The team got older, and Abrams was gone. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what team you're talking about, but AJ Abrams was a sophomore on that 2007 team. DJ Augustin left the 40 before him. 

10 hours ago, chemHORN said:

To be fair to the Shaka comment, our offense does at times feel that way. We are still capable of going on 5 minute scoring droughts.  

Ok so the players played with heart and played hard. I agree that’s not very “smartian” but no one else felt that it was over after their run around 6-7 minutes left to take the lead? A) we never could put anyone away under smart B) I’m not saying their wasn’t better coaching, effort, anything like that. Just felt like a smart loss because we didn’t put them away for 36 minutes, then once they took the lead it just felt like there was no way of getting it back. If that’s not like a “smart” loss then I’ll find a better word but that’s what I meant. It felt like a meltdown with no way to stop it and that hasn’t happened too often this year. 

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn

11 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Ok so the players played with heart and played hard. I agree that’s not very “smartian” but no one else felt that it was over after their run around 6-7 minutes left to take the lead? A) we never could put anyone away under smart B) I’m not saying their wasn’t better coaching, effort, anything like that. Just felt like a smart loss because we didn’t put them away for 36 minutes, then once they took the lead it just felt like there was no way of getting it back. If that’s not like a “smart” loss then I’ll find a better word but that’s what I meant. It felt like a meltdown with no way to stop it and that hasn’t happened too often this year. 

Lol. So easy to say all that in hindsight. Did you think the game was over Saturday when WVU went on a run to go up 10? Or when TCU went up 10 in the second half a week ago? Or 3 weeks ago when Kansas went on a run to go up 6-7 with several minutes left. This team has battled back from plenty of meltdowns in a way that hasn’t happened in previous seasons.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

Some of you need to revisit these threads from less than a year ago when we were basically projected to be last in the Big 12 with 3 returning players or something like that.  We’ve beaten two top 15 teams and played a final 4 Baylor team well enough to lead the majority of the game.  We’ve probably locked up a 5 seed and these games are good for a team that’s barely played a season together to get them ready for March madness.   If this team makes it past the 1st round, they will have accomplished more than any other Longhorn ball team in the last 6-7 years in a year where we were projected to suck shit through a straw.  Enjoy this season and enjoy Bears building a good program in probably the most competitive conference.

• Hook 'Em 5

We are 2-2 in our last 4 home games despite shooting these percentages from three:

KU: 15% (3-20)
Tech: 33.3% (8-26)
TCU: 7.1% (1-14)
Baylor: 17.4% (4-23)

We are shooting 32% from three for the year on 20 attempts per game.    Maybe we shoot less threes because it just feels like a turnover that leads to a bucket on the other end at this point.  Especially in winnable games against Tech and Baylor. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, JWinTX said:

I don’t know about being less physically gifted Tech and Kansas. Tech just plays harder than anyone else I’ve seen this year and KU is SOFT. Baylor is definitely better though… 

Just because we beat KU at home doesn't make them soft. They are a team full of superstars and Tech is definitely bigger and more athletic than us.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what team you're talking about, but AJ Abrams was a sophomore on that 2007 team. DJ Augustin left the 40 before him. 

Yeah, I’m leaving it in there. ztejas pointed that out, too. Just wasn’t thinking. 

But it still just shows how young Durant’s team was. The point is next year’s team was better because they all had a year under them. And I really didn’t like AJ very much. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

We are 2-2 in our last 4 home games despite shooting these percentages from three:

15% against KU (3-20)
33.3% (8-26)
7.1% (1-14)
17.4% (4-23)

We are shooting 32% from three for the year on 20 attempts per game.  

And just for fun, our last three opponents:

Baylor - 41%

WVU - 50%

TCU - 50%

Would be a lot more annoying if we weren't 2-1 in these games.

The only think that is Shaka-esque about this team is the scoring droughts that last 4-5 minutes and THAT is mitigated by how hard they play defense and never stop hustling and getting stops and forcing turnovers.  I am not sure how these types of droughts are common for other teams but it seems like we are good for one every game.  Anyways..

I grew up in Waco and I cannot tell you how much it burns my ass to lose to Baylor.  I hate it.  

Can't wait for the madness.

9 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Just because we beat KU at home doesn't make them soft. They are a team full of superstars and Tech is definitely bigger and more athletic than us.

Soft teams don't win the Big 12 regular season title. Not this year, not any year.

Anybody calling that KU team soft hasn't watched them play.

• Hook 'Em 2