(21) Texas at (6) Kansas at 3pm on ESPN.

SDG

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I can't remember seeing Askew make a shot.  He didn't today, and the googles tell me that he's 24-59 on FGs this year, so I don't have any idea how you've concluded that he has a nice shot.

My eyes?  He has a nice stroke.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So you didn't watch the Baylor game?

Askew has a good shot. He just doesn't use it unless he's checked off every possible box to pass it to someone else.

The way he's so hesitant, I expect him to look like Dogus Balbay when he actually tries to shoot it. Then it's nothing but net. The guy's 7-23 from the 3 point line, too. Not great, but not as bad as you'd think watching him play. 43-23 assist to turnover ratio. And he's all in on defense. I'm excited to see him develop.

• Hook 'Em 5

59 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

2008. Year after KD. Elite Eight finish where we were wiped out by a superior Memphis team in Houston. Not that I haven't thought about it every year since then.

2011 was pretty fun......

.....until the end.

Beat the shit out of KU at the Phog. I'll always enjoy that. Too bad we can't find that game on YouTube.  CBS seems to have their inventory on lock.  

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This is hilarious. There's definitely too much whining about officiating on this site (or any site, really), but blanket statements defending poor officiating are even worse. Forty percent of KU's points came from the foul line.

I'm no fan of referees. Sometime they suck, sometime not. You get to the line because you attack the rim. Kansas did a better job of that today.

We missed two front ends of one in ones in the last 5 minutes and a second of two free throws as well. Make any one of those, we win the game. Just one. Beyond that, the half court execution in the last 3 minutes of regulation and the OT wasn't good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This is hilarious. There's definitely too much whining about officiating on this site (or any site, really), but blanket statements defending poor officiating are even worse. Forty percent of KU's points came from the foul line.

I've never ever ever seen a basketball fan say their team was the beneficiary of foul calls in a particular game. Doesn't matter what level, either. NBA fans are just as bad.

I think the problem is officiating plays such a prominent role in basketball on every possession. I quit complaining about it years ago. Just too many message boards where that's all anyone wanted to talk about, regardless of fan base. It was so universal that I just stopped giving it a whole lot of importance in my head space.. As you say, not that it doesn't have credibility, and I'm not calling anyone a loser who wants to talk about it, but it stopped holding my interest.

As an example of the difference, compare how many announcers comment on officiating in any other sport compared to how much they talk about it in basketball. Just this year I've watch Bilas go on long tirades combined with articles talking about how officiating is ruining the game. Rick Barry just did the same thing with the NBA. You had Mark Cuban out there trying to put a spotlight on it. There's no equivalent in any other sport. I'm not saying announcers refuse to comment on it in other sports, but it's a different level in basketball. 

That said, to me it feels like a god given right for basketball fans to complain about calls that don't go their way. Texas fans may be remarkable in some ways, but that's not one of them for sure. Just like you're saying.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I can't remember seeing Askew make a shot.  He didn't today, and the googles tell me that he's 24-59 on FGs this year, so I don't have any idea how you've concluded that he has a nice shot.

Fundamentally he has an excellent shot, high release, good shooting pocket, smooth delivery. He just doesn’t shoot often because he lacks confidence imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I've never ever ever seen a basketball fan say their team was the beneficiary of foul calls in a particular game. Doesn't matter what level, either. NBA fans are just as bad.

I think the problem is officiating plays such a prominent role in basketball on every possession. I quit complaining about it years ago. Just too many message boards where that's all anyone wanted to talk about, regardless of fan base. It was so universal that I just stopped giving it a whole lot of importance in my head space.. As you say, not that it doesn't have credibility, and I'm not calling anyone a loser who wants to talk about it, but it stopped holding my interest.

As an example of the difference, compare how many announcers comment on officiating in any other sport compared to how much they talk about it in basketball. Just this year I've watch Bilas go on long tirades combined with articles talking about how officiating is ruining the game. Rick Barry just did the same thing with the NBA. You had Mark Cuban out there trying to put a spotlight on it. There's no equivalent in any other sport. I'm not saying announcers refuse to comment on it in other sports, but it's a different level in basketball. 

That said, to me it feels like a god given right for basketball fans to complain about calls that don't go their way. Texas fans may be remarkable in some ways, but that's not one of them for sure. Just like you're saying.

I’ve always viewed it this way, officials don’t cost us the game almost ever thus im never going to blame them after the game for losses. However, in game, in real time, they miss calls. They miss them a lot. I have no issue with complaints about bad calls during the game. That’s valid but officials don’t cost us games.

19 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

2011 was pretty fun......

.....until the end.

Beat the shit out of KU at the Phog. I'll always enjoy that. Too bad we can't find that game on YouTube.  CBS seems to have their inventory on lock.  

You're right. That was a loaded team. Should've been seeded higher, frankly, but they had a bit of a nose dive at the end. 

The ending of that Arizona game ripped my heart out. 

I guess that's the thing. While this team didn't live up to preseason expectations, watching them play, those preseason expectations were absurd. Based on the actual talent of the roster, I feel like they've done well. I don't think I can say that about the 2011 squad, even ignoring the loss in the 2nd round. Now, the tournament matters, so if they'd gone on to the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight I'm sure I'd feel differently, but they didn't, regardless of the reasons. 

I'll say this, too. As much as I love this team - and I do - I really need them to win that first round game. I don't need anything more than that, but I do need that.

Edited by SL Xpress

8 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'll say this, too. As much as I love this team - and I do - I really need them to win that first round game. I don't need anything more than that, but I do need that.

Anyone following this team needs it. Been a very tough stretch, from a fan's perspective.

Beard and the players deserve it, too. They've played their guts out.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You should visit a cowboys game thread on football forum. 

53 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

You're right. That was a loaded team. Should've been seeded higher, frankly, but they had a bit of a nose dive at the end. 

The ending of that Arizona game ripped my heart out. 

I guess that's the thing. While this team didn't live up to preseason expectations, watching them play, those preseason expectations were absurd. Based on the actual talent of the roster, I feel like they've done well. I don't think I can say that about the 2011 squad, even ignoring the loss in the 2nd round. Now, the tournament matters, so if they'd gone on to the Sweet 16 or Elite Eight I'm sure I'd feel differently, but they didn't, regardless of the reasons. 

There was a stretch of play during that 2011 season where we won 16 ot 17 games by double digits. We started off conference play around 13-0 all being double digit victories including an 11 point win in Lawrence. In my eyes that stretch of play was the best any Barnes team ever played during his time here.  

• Hook 'Em 2

you can check out my IG https://www.instagram.com/p/CavqL-HrEj7/?utm_medium=copy_link for more photos and videos of the atmosphere. it went above 122 decibels in that place. that's what i mean when i say that i've never experienced anything like it. beyond that, their fans are so into the game/game day festivities. it truly shined a light on what a social event UT Basketball is. the fans here were engaged the entire time, with everything that was happening, from the plays on the court, to the half time entertainment, to the musical numbers and chants, to the things they do during free throws, or when a player fouls out, and when there's an air ball, etc. 16,000 people just totally committed to the cause, and not in sole cavernous multi-purpose arena, but in a gym, with no upper deck. it was amazing. everyone says they have the best fans in the nation, but if there are any better fans than those Jayhawk fans then i haven't seen them. 

also, the people were exceedingly nice. everyone was. every fan we spoke to, every one who volunteered to take our photo, to the  greeter girl at the gift shop, down to the fucking security! y'all- going to a Texas game is like something out of Red Dawn compared to my experience today. you just walk in wherever you want to, and go wherever you want to go, and nobody hassles you or stresses you. everyone is just chilling, smiling, enjoying themselves. i stood underneath the basket for like a minute so that i could get some footage of KJ warming up, and nobody cared. when i was done, i went and found an usher who gave me detailed directions to my seats. everyone there was just in one big jolly ass mood, and it was like nothing i've ever experienced.

the fans who we met were great. every single one of them (literally, all of them) shit-talked us on sight for being UT fans (in a friendly way), and then offered to do something for us, like take a photo or give us directions. reminded me of tailgating at UT football, only this time i was the out-of-towner. also, the women were hot. everywhere. and not just prairie hot, but hot hot. Austin hot. and so many of them wear tight jeans and blue KU basketball jerseys, and i gotta say, it was doing it for me. they got a look going on up here that's the great plains version of skirts and boots. hell the mom of two who sat in front of me was flat out gorgeous. KU fans are a 10/10 based on today.

bottom line, seeing a game at Allen Field House was top 5 on my sports bucket list, and it exceeded expectations. any college hoops fan has to make the trip some day. i can't imagine that there's another game day experience like it in America. and Lawrence isn't that bad either. it certainly shits all over Manhattan, that's for sure. some cool restaurants and bars too. so, for my first ever trip to see Texas play KU at The Phog, i give it a 9.1 out of 10. it's -1.5 for the loss, but the abundance of beautiful women was a +.6. couldn't have had a better time unless Texas had won the game.

• Hook 'Em 4

SO- Love the above; I'm glad we were good hosts.  The crazy thing is, what you describe has been going on for over 30 years.  You didn't mention it, so I have to say make sure you go back and see Naismith's rules in the building immediately north of the fieldhouse.  Safe travels home.

Edited by Chris Dishman's Donut
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Chris Dishman's Donut said:

SO- Love the above; I'm glad we were good hosts.  The crazy thing is, what you describe has been going on for over 30 years.  You didn't mention it, so I have to say make sure you go back and see Naismith's rules in the building immediately north of the fieldhouse.  Safe travels home.

KJ's mom showed me to it. It was awesome.

D6F607A0-9D47-4035-8C42-73DAD7313E0B.thumb.jpeg.3b450b009f94bbeb23198b5f7bd3157b.jpeg

also, the weather was surprisingly warm, and it was downright hot in The Phog (when Bill Self got on the mic to introduce the senior festivities he said, "we're gonna try to keep this short, because the game went into overtime, and because it's 85 degrees in here.") however, a cold front blew in during the game, and when we walked out of the arena it was 41 degrees ("feels like" temp was 32), so thank god we had the rules to read as we waited for our uber, lol. was great for keeping my mind occupied and not so focused on how bloody "kansas" the weather had suddenly become. 

Edited by shadow_operative

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I never remember this site whining about officiating after Texas wins.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

KJ's mom showed me to it. It was awesome.

D6F607A0-9D47-4035-8C42-73DAD7313E0B.thumb.jpeg.3b450b009f94bbeb23198b5f7bd3157b.jpeg

also, the weather was surprisingly warm, and it was downright hot in The Phog (when Bill Self got on the mic to introduce the senior festivities he said, "we're gonna try to keep this short, because the game went into overtime, and because it's 85 degrees in here.") however, a cold front blew in during the game, and when we walked out of the arena it was 41 degrees ("feels like" temp was 32), so thank god we had the rules to read as we waited for our uber, lol. was great for keeping my mind occupied and not so focused on how bloody "kansas" the weather had suddenly become. 

I hate it so much that Meyer and KJ don’t play for us. Meyer would be filthy with Carr, Ramey and Askew 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/5/2022 at 6:49 PM, Loop 1604 said:

How do you talk with Shaka’s dick in your mouth? Please go fuck off.

Huh? Do you disagree that our team had multiple opportunities to win the game but didn't capitalize?

I don't really see how Shaka has anything to do with that, you petulant little child.

ive heard the Erwin Center as loud as it can possibly get (this side of Strollin' Nolan), and trust me when i say that it absolutely pales in comparison to the noise level at AFH. it's not an arena- it's a basketball court with 16,000 seats on top of it, no upper deck, and arguably the best fans in America (aside from thinking that every foul call against them is complete and utter horse shit). it was like standing next to a jet engine.

Edited by shadow_operative

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ive heard the Erwin Center as loud as it can possibly get (this side of Strollin' Nolan), and trust me when i say that it absolutely pales in comparison to the noise level at AFH. it's not an arena- it's a basketball court with 16,000 seats on top of it, no upper deck, and arguably the best fans in America (aside from thinking that every foul call against them is complete and utter horse shit). it was like standing next to a jet engine.

I love all these posts. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I love all these posts. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. 

my mom and i were ge homely blown away, and when you consider how many CBB games/venues we've been to, that's really saying something. we both just kept looking over at each other at different moments throughout the game, just shaking our heads going, "oh my god; this is different." truly, aside from the loss we could not have had a better, more fun, more "lived up to and exceeded the hype" experience. those are some truly great college basketball fans, and that arena/atmosphere is second to none.

BTW, i didn't mention this yet- they did the standard senior day festivities before the game, but then after the game they had *another* senior day thing, where all six seniors got to get on the microphone and just basically ramble on about everyone and everything they are thankful for. every asst coach got a shoutout and a story; every family member in attendance was shouted out; storied were told; long pauses were had; tears were shed; bottom line, it took for fucking EVER!! college hoops games last 2:00 - 2:15 with amazing consistency. this game tipped off at 3:06 and this senior thing didn't end until 7! why am i telling this? here's why:

THOUSANDS of fans stayed for the entire thing, and stayed engaged the whole time. When i told KJs parents/other parents that i'd seen UT students with open textbooks doing homework in the student section their jaws hit the floor. i'm guessing that's because the entire (yes, the entire) student section stayed for the entire thing, and have rousing i around ti every player, especially Ochai. btw, Bill Self revealed at this time that KU will hang Ochai's jersey in the rafters, and that was an amazing moment). KU fans are bout it bout it. for real. 

also, since we're talking about KJ, who is the most humble, hard working kid i've ever known, i am over the moon at today's news:

AB90BD40-0FE4-46B4-A15F-B364995CF9DC.thumb.jpeg.5d73980893c1ac4b555a03337110efed.jpeg

yeah, it's a down year for freshmen. i don't give a shit. KJ busts his ass for scraps when it comes to playing time, and it's one tough ass transition to go from lifetime superstar to bottom of the barrel overnight. i could not be more proud, and KJ could not be more deserving. Fuck KU all day, i hope we sweep them forever, but you guys should definitely all root for KJ. 

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

also, since we're talking about KJ, who is the most humble, hard working kid i've ever known, i am over the moon at today's news:

AB90BD40-0FE4-46B4-A15F-B364995CF9DC.thumb.jpeg.5d73980893c1ac4b555a03337110efed.jpeg

yeah, it's a down year for freshmen. i don't give a shit. KJ busts his ass for scraps when it comes to playing time, and it's one tough ass transition to go from lifetime superstar to bottom of the barrel overnight. i could not be more proud, and KJ could not be more deserving. Fuck KU all day, i hope we sweep them forever, but you guys should definitely all root for KJ. 

KJ should have played more, IMO. Bill Self has some kind of fetish with Mitch Lightfoot. Both Adams and Clemence were better options. 

I’ve seen a lot of KU fans specifically ask where they can find the videos of the senior speeches. It’s a huge highlight of each season. Remember, they used to do the big barnstorming thing, where any seniors would basically tour around the state for unofficial scrimmages with the locals, and get handed cash for swinging by. Did it for decades. They immortalize their seniors for sure. 

On 3/7/2022 at 12:56 AM, shadow_operative said:

especially Ochai. btw, Bill Self revealed at this time that KU will hang Ochai's jersey in the rafters, and that was an amazing moment). KU fans are bout it bout it. for real. 

he has played like shit against Texas his entire career.