Big 12 Tournament

Pancho

21 minutes ago, Pancho said:

WVU vs k-state right now on espnU

both are terrible. How did we lose to k-state?  Jesus.

Couldn’t stop their dribble penetration was the main issue I saw. 

I’m pretty sure we’re seeing the last of both of these coaches. Weber might get a job somewhere else. He’s a goof, but he’s not a bad coach. Also, Nigel Pack will likely transfer. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Lost all those guys from last year’s team and still won the league, I guess. 

Good point, I just feel like he started from an easier position, albeit one that he built. As a Tech fan I obviously feel like Adams deserved it....well before the late season collapse.

8 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Good point, I just feel like he started from an easier position, albeit one that he built. As a Tech fan I obviously feel like Adams deserved it....well before the late season collapse.

That’s who I would have voted for. I’m sure it was close. Adams won the AP vote. 

Also, no All big 12 defensive team players from either Texas or Tech. Not quite sure how that happened. 

Just now, SL Xpress said:

That’s who I would have voted for. I’m sure it was close. Adams won the AP vote. 

Also, no All big 12 defensive team players from either Texas or Tech. Not quite sure how that happened. 

That surprised me. The two teams who are defensive minded got no one? Weird 

5 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Maybe the voters thought it was just the scheme and having well rounded teams. They likely just looked at individual stats.

31 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Maybe the voters thought it was just the scheme and having well rounded teams. They likely just looked at individual stats.

The voters were the head coaches. It’s not like they were anonymous people. I don’t know what their reasoning was, but I have to feel like stats were not all that matters to them. 

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

The voters were the head coaches. It’s not like they were anonymous people. I don’t know what their reasoning was, but I have to feel like stats were not all that matters to them. 

Oh. thanks for this info. I had no idea it was the head coaches. 

3 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

The tournaments in the big conferences are useless. It’s some great basketball and I love watching them, but they matter only a little

They only really matter if someone wins who wasn’t expected to be in the tournament, and thereby knocks out a bubble team. I do feel like sometimes a team can go up or down a seed line based on their tournament performance, but I also feel like fans exaggerate how often it occurs, and the impact.

It depends on the committee, the factors they find important, and how close they feel comparisons are between teams. At least that’s been my observation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I’m pretty sure we’re seeing the last of both of these coaches. Weber might get a job somewhere else. He’s a goof, but he’s not a bad coach. Also, Nigel Pack will likely transfer. 

Having lived in Motown for a while 😁, I think Huggins gets one more year. They love him there. He’s built up a lot of goodwill over the years.

Another season like this one next year and he’s likely toast. I think he’d prefer to die on the court while coaching, though. 

I wasn’t thinking about him getting pushed out. From what I heard he’s been making noises about this being his last year. Losing Tshiebwe to Kentucky and then this season hasn’t been a lot of fun for him. But maybe not. It’s just rumors. It’s not like he got a DUI and pissed off the school president or anything. 

11 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

System guys…😁

53 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hate that we're playing Tech in the 8:30 game tonight.  The good news is our fans are going to be absolutely wasted.

LOL I got good tickets on a day of re-release and sat in the Iowa St section during the NCAAs in Denver in maybe 2015 or 2016. Really fun group of fans!

57 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I hate that we're playing Tech in the 8:30 game tonight.  The good news is our fans are going to be absolutely wasted.

worth tuning in just for the cyclone crowd being lit af 

1 minute ago, MotownHorn said:

LOL I got good tickets on a day of re-release and sat in the Iowa St section during the NCAAs in Denver in maybe 2015 or 2016. Really fun group of fans!

I think that was '16 we were out there.  I had a few friends go.

The Big 12 tournament has been a thing for ISU since it was the Big 8 tournament.  Swarm Kelly's in Westport, take over the P&L, just behave like an invading horde basically.  I went in 2015 (the year Monte Morris beat y'all at the buzzer) and it remains the most fun I've had at a sporting event, ever.  It was a 3 day bender, all of our games down to the wire, and each buzzer beating win meant the difference between another day of partying and tucking tail and heading home.  It was downright glorious.  

I'm almost don't want to go back because there's no way the next time would compare.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

worth tuning in just for the cyclone crowd being lit af 

Between losing 2 tournaments to COVID, and our turnaround season, I expect our crowd to fucking bring it tonight.  I don't think it will matter because we don't match up well with Tech, but do what you can I guess.

35 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I'm going to miss Bruce Weber. Just a goofy fuck. Not a bad coach. Some mid major would do well hiring him. 

Who are KU fans going to hate with every fiber of their being now?  I've never seen a fanbase hate an opposing coach like KU hates Weber.  (Don't mention Tech-Beard...apples/oranges).

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

Who are KU fans going to hate with every fiber of their being now?  I've never seen a fanbase hate an opposing coach like KU hates Weber.  (Don't mention Tech-Beard...apples/oranges).

Lol. I mean, you can't ask the question and then take away the obvious answer. 

They'll be capable of mustering hate for whoever KSU hires. Same with Mizzou, frankly. Bruce Weber had a bit of a head start by being a bitch at Illinois after replacing Bill Self following his departure to KU. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?id=1687238

Weber, the present Illinois coach, had had enough of talk about the former Illinois coach, Self.

So, Weber, dressed in black, walked into the locker room before the Maryland-Eastern Shore game Dec. 11 and announced that Self's funeral as coach was at hand.

"I wore black to tell the guys that it's over, it's a funeral of Bill Self in that he's no longer the coach here,'' Weber said Monday night. "He's no longer the coach here, so we've got to move forward and go on.''