I Heart Depreciation (AKA Baller cars for Surly 99%)...

Bernard

New cars are for suckers and people with bad credit.

I test drove this car today: https://www.ultimatems.com/vehicle-details/2010-jaguar-xk-2010-xkr-supercharged-coupe-nav-bowers-43k-mls--2010-supercharged-nav-leather-pwr-seats-20-alloys-wood-keyless-bowers-wilkins-xenons-coupe-cd17f9de8c804678929f10cdfd07feb6

2010 Jaguar XKR Coupe
Black on Black
44k miles
MSRP: $101,000
Asking Price: $27,980

3114a242bd_1024.jpg

Holy shit. What a car. 420 HP. VERY tempted, although I'd probably go with a higher mileage one that can be had for a bit less. I really just went to see this one to see if my 6'5" self could fit in it, which I did.

Bernard 

• Like 1

I’ve only had one new car in my life: 2005 Lexus ES330. Free to me. Boss told me to go buy one. He paid. Free car. Free gas. Free insurance. Cost $40k. Drove it 65k miles over 4 years. . Sold it for $15k, which went in my pocket, not his. Even though it didn’t cost me a penny, it seemed like such a waste. Any enjoyment was overshowed by the thought that I could have gotten so much more car by going used. Forget $40k, I could have had a better car for $25k. Never again. 

Bernard

• Like 2

I buy nice cars for the wife because she can't be bothered to ever look at anything or pay attention to any sound it makes. ever. Older cars require one to "pay attention". We can't do that at my house. ever. For me I could give two shits. I always have hotrods for fun toys anyway.

It all depends on what your priorities are in a car. Either it’s a utalitarian object that purely gets you from point A to point B reliably or it’s a sexy/powerful piece of machinery that stimulates endorphin release when you get in it, drive it, or see a similar one driving on the road. For me, it’s the latter. I still love getting into my car on a daily basis and I still love driving it and pushing it and getting opportunities to go past 85 for the rear wing to engage, etc. I personally couldn’t buy an 8+ year old car that has and outdated body, infotainment, worn leather, etc. And this is with the full knowledge and understanding that cars are shitty investments.  So are kids  and I have two of those too

• Like 1

By and large modern cars sound worse and are needlessly complex.  On mine when you swap the battery you have to "code it" into the computer.  Everything's fucking integrated these days.

I miss it back when everything was plug and play.  The heyday for cars is early 2000s.  Supras.  E39 M5s.  Ferrari 550, when they still made manual transmissions.  Before revised CAFE standards.  Before auto start/stop technology.  Before cylinder deactivation.  When turbos had lag and still made whooshing noises.  Etc.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2018 at 1:49 PM, Bernard said:

New cars are for suckers and people with bad credit.

I test drove this car today: https://www.ultimatems.com/vehicle-details/2010-jaguar-xk-2010-xkr-supercharged-coupe-nav-bowers-43k-mls--2010-supercharged-nav-leather-pwr-seats-20-alloys-wood-keyless-bowers-wilkins-xenons-coupe-cd17f9de8c804678929f10cdfd07feb6

2010 Jaguar XKR Coupe
Black on Black
44k miles
MSRP: $101,000
Asking Price: $27,980

That car lost over $70,000 in value in 8 years. Y'all have dopamine issues if you're part of the 99% and receive enough utility from novelty to justify losing that much in 8 years

On 5/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, Fat Bastard said:

It all depends on what your priorities are in a car. Either it’s a utalitarian object that purely gets you from point A to point B reliably or it’s a sexy/powerful piece of machinery that stimulates endorphin release when you get in it, drive it, or see a similar one driving on the road. For me, it’s the latter. I still love getting into my car on a daily basis and I still love driving it and pushing it and getting opportunities to go past 85 for the rear wing to engage, etc. I personally couldn’t buy an 8+ year old car that has and outdated body, infotainment, worn leather, etc. And this is with the full knowledge and understanding that cars are shitty investments.  So are kids  and I have two of those too

.Granted, I fall under the former category. 

Bought a used 2013 Tesla model S for 40% less than sticker with 24k miles on it. Still has 2 year’s bumper to bumper warranty and 2 years on top of that for battery and motor. Best car purchase I’ve ever made.

25 minutes ago, Bernard said:

2006 Mercedes-Benz SL 65
604 horsepower
44k miles
MSRP: $179,000 plus options (sales tax alone is $11,200+)
Sold for: $36,501 + 5% fee

While I like older cars... in principle...

-arent this era of mercedes some of the most problematic

-this class of cars entered the (immature) early gens of deeply-embedded electronics

-heavy luxo cars = mega consumption of tires, brakes, more stress on suspension, mounts, etc

-12 cylinders = maintenance multiplication (e.g. 12 spark plugs!)

etc etc etc...

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

While I like older cars... in principle...

-arent this era of mercedes some of the most problematic

-this class of cars entered the (immature) early gens of deeply-embedded electronics

-heavy luxo cars = mega consumption of tires, brakes, more stress on suspension, mounts, etc

-12 cylinders = maintenance multiplication (e.g. 12 spark plugs!)

etc etc etc...

12 spark plugs? Nope. Try 24. Yes. 604 HP will eat tires. Some of the suspension components are practically considered consumables, but luckily not the expensive parts. The ABC suspension that plagued early 2000-era cars became more robust. There are also non-OEM options available to replace hydraulic lines at a tiny fraction of dealer costs. The convertible tops can be finicky, but not terrible. I'm unaware of substantial electronics issues. Budget a few grand for maintenance every year for sure.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

Interior looks very good, too but it does need a new drivers side floor mat. Had to replace the headliner a couple of years ago after the original fell on my head.

And it needs a new set of rubber.

Edited by Armybrat

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:20 AM, Thatguy said:

I buy nice cars for the wife because she can't be bothered to ever look at anything or pay attention to any sound it makes. ever. Older cars require one to "pay attention". We can't do that at my house. ever. For me I could give two shits. I always have hotrods for fun toys anyway.

Go on.  Whatcha got?

On 5/27/2018 at 10:14 AM, TwiceHorn said:

I shudder to think of the upkeep on a 10 year old benz or jag.

Other than the domestic and Japanese brands.  Those are mostly OK.

Or a Camaro ZL1.  You can find 5 year old models, with LOW miles for half the price of new.

On 5/27/2018 at 10:14 AM, Fat Bastard said:

Right there with you. I have one car that I bought virtually new 600 miles on it in 2005 (911 c2S). Still have it, still drive it, still live it. Love to push it and im still amazed at the capabilities of it all these years later. I tell people every time I get in it it reminds me of watching Vy play college football. I feel like something special is happening. I love cars and driving. I generally buy nice ones and keep them a very long time.  I recently bought a panamera gts with 11k miles on it at a heavy discount from sticker, but still a damn good chunk of money.  Every time i fire that big ass v8 up i get a damn rush of dopamine       

I've been buying/selling 10-15 year old BMW's and Porsches for most of my car owning life (past 20 years). As I enjoy working on them, I've managed to avoid the depreciation hit entirely, while keeping my cost of ownership low. Fitting the 99%'er profile in the title, it blows my mind that people will opt to lose $30k+ on buying new.

Current car is a 2004 BMW M3 that I expect to sell for what I paid for it in 4-5 years, assuming car ADD doesn't rear its ugly head.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:04 PM, Brew said:

Nav systems, your rear wing that deploys, high tech controls, etc are all over rated. The reason to buy a new model vehicle is for the ball tickling awesomeness of cooled seats. 

all that shit is in my 2013 rides right now...  hell, my 2007 had all of that (minus the wing).

i buy 4 year old rides... about 35% of MSRP.

One great thing about my Audi is that they’ve looked almost exactly the same for several years now. I looked at a coworkers that is a few years newer and all they had added was USB ports. Most people think mine is a lot newer than it is because I keep it in good shape.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

One great thing about my Audi is that they’ve looked almost exactly the same for several years now. I looked at a coworkers that is a few years newer and all they had added was USB ports. Most people think mine is a lot newer than it is because I keep it in good shape.

the newer ones also have HDMI.  you gotta get on that.

My 2005 Lexus has heated and cooled seats. Why are some of y'all acting like this is a new invention?

I installed my own $130 bluetooth unit hardwired onto the Bose system and everything sounds great.

Any navigation I need comes from Google or Waze. I have literally no reason to buy a new car and this thing is 13 years old.

• Like 1

Look.  I enjoy frivolous spending as much as the next asshole.  But this badge of whatever people wear by ONLY BUYING NEW CARS seems goofy.

Maybe I need to re-evaluate my priorities.

(I drive a 2015 SQ5 bought in 2017 for $20k off sticker)

• Like 1

My 2005 Lexus has heated and cooled seats. Why are some of y'all acting like this is a new invention?

I installed my own $130 bluetooth unit hardwired onto the Bose system and everything sounds great.

Any navigation I need comes from Google or Waze. I have literally no reason to buy a new car and this thing is 13 years old.
How did you install the Bluetooth? Googled the same project for my 09 ES and it looked pretty damn complicated

1 hour ago, ZanTheFan said:
12 hours ago, HookEm said:

How did you install the Bluetooth? Googled the same project for my 09 ES and it looked pretty damn complicated

https://www.vaistech.com/product/sl3b-l/

And let someone install it... boom.