Iowa St. (11)

Villanova (2)

UConn (5)

UCLA (4)

Texas Tech (3)

Gonzaga (1)

-------------

Tiebreaker:  Purdue (3)

A few quick facts - there were a total of 66 brackets. UCLA was in 67% of the brackets while Texas Tech was 2nd-most popular (53%). Iowa just barely missed the half-way mark with presence in 47% of the brackets. On the other end we have TCU and Montana St with each being in only 1 bracket. In all there are 49 teams - pretty good spread. Special shout-out to @Dutchrudder with picking only 1 and 2 seeds. If it goes pure chalk he's looking good!

• Hook 'Em 3

After one day I am winning with 30 points (4 of my teams have played- 4 still to go). I’m sure it will not last. 

We have 65 entries. 

$650 prize pool. 

$500 for the winner.

For the rest of the prize pool I was thinking everyone who beats me splits the rest of the money however many ways there are people That beat me…. Does that sound fun? 
otherwise $100 for second place and $50 for third place. 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

God dammit fuck all of you that picked Chattanooga. 

They were my first pick in the seeded draft (#4 overall). Huck’s computer banished me to the lowest EV in our contest. I’m not feeling bad about that pick. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They were my first pick in the seeded draft (#4 overall). Huck’s computer vanished me to the lowest EV in our contest. I’m not feeling bad about that pick. 

Kofi Cockburn is going to punish all of you.

Hopefully...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

While @TXSooner518 is by all counts a pretty good egg (for a Sooner), I have to confess that I am pulling for Saint Mary's just because I think it would be a special accomplishment to not break double digits for total score. He's sitting pretty right now at 7 with UCLA as his only live team.

• Hook 'Em 1

While [mention=308]TXSooner518[/mention] is by all counts a pretty good egg (for a Sooner), I have to confess that I am pulling for Saint Mary's just because I think it would be a special accomplishment to not break double digits for total score. He's sitting pretty right now at 7 with UCLA as his only live team.

If St Marys and NMState would have won I would have done this in BOTH this contest and the seeded draft! Alas I will have to suffer just cataclysmic failure not quite on the most historic scale.
  • Haha 1

On 3/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, Serak The Preparer said:

Because I am a giant dork and like playing with spreadsheets, I've made a public Google Sheets doc to simplify entry and result monitoring. I believe I have everyone's entry entered, at least as of this post, with two caveats:

1) I only am tracking by user name, so for those users who have submitted multiple brackets they are just listed under a single user name. If that user wins, up to them to allocate correctly.

2) I didn't bother tracking tie-breaker. In case that is relevant @Wulaw Horn or @Scipio can determine that by just looking at this thread.

Here is a link to the document: Surly 2022 March Madness - Free Money Contest

Right now the only fields that should be editable are the username and teams fields (columns B and C on the "Enter Picks Here" tab - please feel free to double-check that there was no error in entry. I had to clean the data some to make sure team names were consistent and it's always possible an error crept in. Also ignore the results that are already in - that was just for testing purposes, I'll clear that Thursday morning. At that point I'll also lock down the user entry fields. @Wulaw Horn can then easily post the top performing teams as well as teams with most potential points.

Just quoting so it will be at the bottom of the page and easy to find.

13 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I noticed that the "bracket potential" column on that spreadsheet is the number you would get if every team you had left won the title, which obviously can't happen. 

Serak set it up. I don't know that you could make it much smarter with all the decision tree stuff and whose playing who.  I'm about to post standings from everyone above 60 points and teams they have remaining....

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Serak set it up. I don't know that you could make it much smarter with all the decision tree stuff and whose playing who.  I'm about to post standings from everyone above 60 points and teams they have remaining....

Yeah that would require some complicated formulating.

Poster                   Points   Teams remaining

Longhornjoe      111         Michigan, UH, ISU, Nova, UCLA, Tech, Gonzaga

Philly D                 106         ISU, Nova, Michigan

Sponge Bob        105         Arkansas, ISU, Providence, UCLA, Goinzaga, Miami

Welshy                 102         Miami, ISU, UH, Providence, UCLA

Skipper                 91           Purdue, UCLA, Michigan, ISU

Knoxtnhorn        91           Michigan, ISU, Tech, Purdue, Gonzaga

Jerry Callo            89           ISU, UCLA, Miami,

Hobbs                   87           Tech, UNC, UH, ISU

Torn ACL              85           Tech, Miami, Purdue, UCLA, Nova, Zona

Wulaw                  85           Michigan, Iowa State

Not a cat              83           ISU, Michigan

Deac_tracy         81           Providence, Miami

Blotto                    80           Tech, UCLA, UH, Michigan

Tyrone B              78           UCLA, Tech, UH, ISU

Etexhorn            77           Tech, UCLA, Michigan, Gonzaga, Purdue

HalfSack Horn    76           Zags, Arizona, Tech, UCLA, ISU

Serak                     75           UCLA, Tech, UH, ISU, AZ

BB Orange           72           Tech, Miami, UCLA, Purdue, Zona, Gonzaga, Nova

Horns/Bayou     72           Tech, UCLA, UH, Michigan

Horn PHD            72           Gonzaga, Tech, UCLA, UH, Michgan

Dogbreath          70           UNC< UCLA, Tech, UH

MoTown Horn   66           Kansas, Tech, Miami, UNC

Tax Masater       66           Gonzaga, UH, ISU

Bear Schlong      66           Purdue, UCLA, Tech, ISU

KnoxtxHorn        66           Houston, UCLA, Purdue, Providence, Nova

Prep. Of doom   66           UCLA, Miami

Jameslaw            64           Arkansas, Tech, UCLA, Purdue, Providence

North Loop         63           Tech, UCLA, Zona, Kansas, ISU

Pato Del M.        63           Tech, UCLA, Gonzaga, UNC

Huckleberry       63           UH, UCLA, Michigan

Blacklab                62           Gonzaga, Tech, Purdue, ISU

Big Orange          61           Tech, UCLA, ISU

Taybo20               61           Gonzaga, Ark, UNC, UH

James Law           60           UNC, UCLA, Tech, Gonzaga

I'm officially closed out b/c Knox is ahead of me and he has me covered up with ISU and Michigan both, which are my remaining teams.

Miami V ISU is a huge game (biggest in the round of 16) as if Miami wins it will re-set our leader board- if ISU wins the top 2 have a chance to stay in that position.

Shout out to @longhornjoeand @bborange who both have 7 of their 8 picks remaining.  BB Orange really needs a Miami win and a Michigan loss if he wants to get back in this thing.  

I think I decided on payout (nobody had any big opinion one way or another ,so)

$500 for first

$100 for second

$50 in a lotto for anyone that beats me at random.  

• Hook 'Em 3

It was fun but I see I can't pass Longhornjoe.  Thanks for setting it up Wulaw,  it was nice to try something different.  Are you still giving away money to everyone who beats you?  I may be to collect a few dollars on that.

Edit:

I see you posted just before me answering my question.  Hoping for the random lotto.

Edited by PhillyD

Just now, PhillyD said:

It was fun but I see I can't pass Longhornjoe.  Thanks for setting it up Wulaw,  it was nice to try something different.  Are you still giving away money to everyone who beats you?  I may be to collect a few dollars on that.

Just decided we will do $100 for second and draw at random for $50 for 3rd for whoever beats me. I figured someone would appreciate that more than 18 people getting $7.22 from me....

2 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

Hell, if ISU and Michigan get to the finals you will be 2nd and I will be 3rd (maybe) so you will win the one man drawing!

• Hook 'Em 1

Annnnd this is where yall come back to the pack cause your high number picks start losing

My 199 bracket potential pts is looking beastly lmao 

(yes I am joking...I know my ass is out of this) 

Edited by Scraps

6 hours ago, Scraps said:

Annnnd this is where yall come back to the pack cause your high number picks start losing

My 199 bracket potential pts is looking beastly lmao 

(yes I am joking...I know my ass is out of this) 

That’s why I posted all the teams remaining. There’s some dudes that were on point here. 

On 3/21/2022 at 9:57 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm officially closed out b/c Knox is ahead of me and he has me covered up with ISU and Michigan both, which are my remaining teams.

Miami V ISU is a huge game (biggest in the round of 16) as if Miami wins it will re-set our leader board- if ISU wins the top 2 have a chance to stay in that position.

Shout out to @longhornjoeand @bborange who both have 7 of their 8 picks remaining.  BB Orange really needs a Miami win and a Michigan loss if he wants to get back in this thing.  

I think I decided on payout (nobody had any big opinion one way or another ,so)

$500 for first

$100 for second

$50 in a lotto for anyone that beats me at random.  

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I still feel very good about my chances.  Of course, I still have no real idea how any of this works.

You did really well!  Unfortunately the highest you can come in is 3rd.  Reason being, you have ISU, UCLA and Miami alive but so do 2 other people that currently have more points than you.  So, although you can move up the board there is a ceiling on where you can end up.  But 3rd out of 66 would be really good!  And might still be worth $50.00

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 5:30 PM, Serak The Preparer said:

Because I am a giant dork and like playing with spreadsheets, I've made a public Google Sheets doc to simplify entry and result monitoring. I believe I have everyone's entry entered, at least as of this post, with two caveats:

1) I only am tracking by user name, so for those users who have submitted multiple brackets they are just listed under a single user name. If that user wins, up to them to allocate correctly.

2) I didn't bother tracking tie-breaker. In case that is relevant @Wulaw Horn or @Scipio can determine that by just looking at this thread.

Here is a link to the document: Surly 2022 March Madness - Free Money Contest

Right now the only fields that should be editable are the username and teams fields (columns B and C on the "Enter Picks Here" tab - please feel free to double-check that there was no error in entry. I had to clean the data some to make sure team names were consistent and it's always possible an error crept in. Also ignore the results that are already in - that was just for testing purposes, I'll clear that Thursday morning. At that point I'll also lock down the user entry fields. @Wulaw Horn can then easily post the top performing teams as well as teams with most potential points.

Standings linked in quote.

Edited by Welshy
  • Like 1

Between this and the one I did for work, it seems I’ll be getting out about what I put in. Which is about a minute combined. 

that traditional bracket I had Gonzaga, Kentucky, Arizona, and Wisconsin in the F4 with Arizona winning. 

I think maybe the only team I have left not yet eliminated is Purdue and I probably have them losing tomorrow so my point scoring may already be done. 

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I probably should've done some basic math before making my picks. 1 & 2 seeds are just a dumb choice here. 

Especially when they can't even get to the elite 8.  What a bad year for the 1 & 2 seeds.  There is only 1 #1 alive right now and they aren't even in the elite 8 yet.  Had a 2 go down in the first round which is way too early and another 2 go down in the second round which is a little early.  Serious underperforming by the big boys this year.  And honestly, I thought Gonzaga and AZ were about as good as it gets on 1 seeds- that was pretty surprising.  Baylor had their problems with depth and UNC is a talented mid major, so, shit happens- not a big shock.  Kentucky losing to St. Pete is maybe the greatest stunner in NCAA history when you consider pedigree and talent.  I know UVA lost as a 1 seed and is the only one ever to do that, but their coach is a consistent March choker and they just play at such a slow tempo that the game screeches to a holt and that introduces variability that you shouldn't want as a favorite.   

Your choices to choose from in the 2 v 15

Richmond over Syracuse

Santa Clara over AZ

Coppin State over South Carolina

Hampton over ISU

Lehigh over DUke

Norfolk State over Missouri

Florida Dunk Coast over Georgetown

Middle Tennesse State over Michigan State

Oral Roberts over Ohio State

St. Peters over Kentucky.

When you consider that Calipari was like 19-1 in first round games and that 1 was a couple decades ago when he was a meh seed, and add in the fact that half those teams aren't blue bloods, well it's nuts.

Throw it in a hat with Duke and Michigan State b/c K and Izzo are such great tournament coaches with such a great record and Syracuse v Richmond b/c it had never happened before and didn't seem possible and there are your top 5 tournament upsets.  

Yeah- bad time to be betting on chalk.