SXSW 2022

MidTexHorn

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

SXSJ and Lucy's both have quality day show lineups. 

I've been going to South by San Jose for a few years.  I rarely recognize any of the bands, but they usually have a few solid performers each day, and I still enjoy the South Congress vibe during SXSW, especially if the weather cooperates.

I'll probably only make the Friday show next week.  Houdmouth is playing.  I've seen them a couple times and they're pretty good.

South By San Jose Lineup

• Hook 'Em 2

Only chiming in to report that the ass downtown is already off the charts.  Wish I had y’all’s stealth photography skills.  I think I’m supposed to be networking and listening to music.  Wow 

On 3/8/2022 at 12:03 PM, South Austin said:

I've been going to South by San Jose for a few years.  I rarely recognize any of the bands, but they usually have a few solid performers each day, and I still enjoy the South Congress vibe during SXSW, especially if the weather cooperates.

I'll probably only make the Friday show next week.  Houdmouth is playing.  I've seen them a couple times and they're pretty good.

South By San Jose Lineup

Steve Gunn, also playing Friday, is the real deal. 

^

That's pretty damn cool to get to play a well-known venue during SXSW.  Good for her.  

Can't even remember the names of the band I saw downtown yesterday afternoon/evening, I'm so old and lame.  Really looking forward to Heartless Bastards tomorrow and the lineup at GSD&M.  Today though, buncha lame interactive/VC shit.  I remember when I was younger, hitting it hard from Wednesday-Saturday with the Big Dance peppered in.  Now, I actually gotta go do meetings 'n shit so I'm hitting it from the first Friday through Wednesday, then basically not doing anything on the back half where the great music is.  Another sign of me and Austin getting lame.   

My normal rotation is SXSJ and and open a tab at Continental Club that I let them close adding a 20% tip at the end of the night. My yard dog rotations is now defunct, but I am going to spend more time and Lucy's for sure this year.  We normally start seeing stuff today, and are pretty exhausted by Friday, with a revival of some sort on Sunday.

The Hotel Vegas has a shit ton of bands and a few really good ones, but the size is a bit on the smaller side and as was mentioned above I imagine packed is an understatement.  

The best part of this time of year for me is seeing bands on the rise in smaller more intimate venues.  Here is a cut and paste of some of my google doc on lineups and times.

Here are a couple secrets-

1) Most if not all of the bands play multiple shows, you can often find an official semi-headliner at another venue at a time that is not 10pm or later

2) Be flexible, especially if you are going on Friday, Sat or Sunday.  Places get packed and having an alternative plan is wise.

3) Bring a cooler in your trunk and put some water, booze and a sandwich or snacks in it.  Since I tend to do SOCO, I also buy some white foam cups to make mixed drinks in so I can carry them on the street and sometimes into SXSJ stealthily.  I usually freeze a couple waters to sue as supplemental ice and frigid cold hydration.

Lucy’s Fried Chicken

WEDNESDAY, March 16
12:00 Jesse Dayton
1:00  Darden Smith
2:00  Kelley Mickwee
3:00  Western Youth
4:00  Elsa Cross
5:00  Nuevo
6:00  Matthew Logan Vasquez

THURSDAY, March 17
12:00  Scott Ballew with Evan Voyles
1:00 Beaver Nelson
2:00 The Rubilators
3:00  Allisen and the Wy’s Guys
4:00  Tomar & the FC’s
5:00  Ramsey Midwood
6:00  Shinyribs

FRIDAY, March 18
12:00  Soul Man Sam
1:00  The Allen Oldies Band
2:00  Henri Herbert & his Rocking Band
3:00  Tommy McClain & CC Adcock
4:00  John Doe Folk Trio
5:00  SUSTO
6:00  The Dream Syndicate

SATURDAY, March 19
12:00  The Neighborhood Bullies
1:00  Jon Dee Graham & William Harries Graham
2:00 English Teeth’s 50th Anniversary of Big Star’s #1 Record
3:00 Blue Mountain
4:00 Continental Drifters (two sets!)
6:00 Chuck Prophet & the Mission Express

SUNDAY, 3/20
12:00 Hilary York
1:00 Mother Neff
2:00 Guthrie Girls
3:00 Waco Brothers
4:00 Kevin McKinney
5:00 Barfield
6:00 Heartless Bastards

Austin Beer Garden
Wednesday, March 16
5:00 HENRI HERBERT
7:00 MARSHALL HOOD

THURSDAY, MARCH 17, NINE MILE PRESENTS:
3:00 FUZZY BUMBLE
4:00 BUFFALO ROSE
5:00 BROTHER THUNDER
6:00 SAVAK
7:00 NEAR BEER
8:00 A. SINCLAIR
9:00 THE NIGHTOWLS
10:00 WES DENZEL
11:00 TEXAS STRING ASSEMBLY

FRIDAY, MARCH 18, YARD DOG PRESENTS:
4:00 ICE COLD SINGLES
5:00 SPECIAL GUESTS
6:00 FONTANELLES
7:00 JON LANGFORD & HIS FANCY MEN
8:00 WILD SEEDS
9:00 JON LANGFORD & THE FAR FORLORN
10:30 WACO BROTHERS

SATURDAY, MARCH 19, ROCKY & THE HAIR PRESENTS:
6:00 TRISTAN OLIVE
7:00 TORTUGA SHADES
8:00 MR. PIDGE
9:00 BUCKHEAD SHAMAN
10:00 STEPMOM
11:00 ANIMALS ON TV

SXSJ  -  the notes are from me looking at YouTube videos  The order of bands here is in reverse time wise, with the last band/headliner listed first

Wednesday, March 16
Midlake - breezy rock
Sunflower Bean - girl led group pretty good
Geese - Post Punk - fun and different
JOSEPH - three girls front band softer but good harmonies
Hannah Jadagu - very soft breezy
Ada Lea - more varied breezy
Strawberry Guy - more breezy but 3 million views

Thursday, March 17

Surfbort - punk rock w/ Fred Armisan in video
Yard Act - Clash like Brit Rock - singer interaction with crowd
Horsegirl - Chick hard rock with breezy edge
Ezra Furman -(and the harpoons?) San Fran rocker with good voice, very varied! good!
BLACKSTARKIDS - Eclectic boy/girl band 
Sliver Synthetic - Allman Bros crossed with Beatles melodies (LIKE!)
Hey Cowboy! - Syn-bass- drums breezy (skip)

Friday, March 18
Houndmouth - Multiple “hits” must see!
Seratones - Interesting worth a listen from Shreveport girl lead eclectic gospel
Steve Gunn - blue grass Maharaji George Harrison sound
La Dona - breezy LA gangster mex
Buffalo Nichols - old school blues and beyond
S.G. Goodman - Melissa Ethridge like on acid with Roy Orbison
Mini Trees - melodic breezy but might go rock edge live
Calder Allen - guy with guitar? Might have band here

Saturday, March 19
Black Lips
Heartless Bastards
A Giant Dog - Rockers with VERY eclectic sound, punk, rock, “Outer Banks” soundtrack songs
Ural Thomas and the Pain -old black guy with great voice MoTown/ blues
Los Bitchos - musical latinas (any vocals???)
Faux Real
Joshua Ray Walker
Grace Cummings

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My daughter's band played there last night (Monday).  I was gonna go but she said the place was completely overrun and it didn't look like anyone else was getting in.

Nice! What's her band's name? 

I'll typically go to the day shows at HV and then take off once it starts getting crowded after dark. Doors opened at 4 when I went and the line stretched around block to get in but moved really fast. When I left sometime after 8 the line was still around the block but I imagine moving a lot slower considering the crowd inside. 

I’m here to tell you the long national nightmare is over.  No, Covid, Ukraine, and nationwide stupidity are still things.  But high wasted, baggy, non flattering leg wear on the ladies seems to be over.  Whatever you’re doing tomorrow, forget it.  Get down to a few SXSW day parties. It’s an ass fest again.  There’s also music and a bit of business.  But it’s back to showing off the ass.  That seems to be the main thing. This is surreal.  It’s just one massive “who has the best way to show off their ass” competition.  

it hasn’t been like this in 5 or 6 years.  

The Warning killed it despite some technical issues that plagued their entire set. They got cut short by 5 minutes, so I missed out on my favorite song they would have closed with. They gained some fans yesterday. Could tell from the crowd's growing applause after each song.

Seen some pretty decent shit so far.  Wednesday was fun but sort of dangerous, as the first thing I did was go into a Pearl Stable event where it was open bar.  Saw Rosie Flores then the Peterson bros and hammed a few jacks down. By the time I had an old fashioned at Vespaio I was pretty toasted. I would say one of the bands I enjoyed most was Silver Synthetic at SXSJ.  Sort of a mix of Eagles, Allman Bros and Beach Boys.  They seemed like just some dudes who liked to play music.  Joseph a girl trio was also good and likely going places with their Dixie Chick vocals but more of a rock rooting.  

I ended up missing some of the stuff I wanted to see as usual, but Tomar and the FC's was worth the walk up the street to Lucy's as always.  A good local band that puts on a solid show each set.  The surprise was my after dinner glimpse of some old school punk from SurfBort at SXSJ.  Reminded me of the old Club Foot days, with the unbridled wildness of the show.  Wife watched from street as I made a quick move down to the front for the end of the show.  Got a great video of the lead singer coming out among the mosh pit/crowd.  

It's hard for me to tear ass day after day.  But went to Hotel Vegas early yesterday hoping to see Yard Act. But instead saw Chief Cleopatra, and about half of Surfbort's set.  I actually liked the outdoors stage at Hotel Vegas and will add that to my future rotations.   I then spend like 45 minutes trying to get from the east side to Travis Heights which was the usual SXSW nightmare.  But I got my usual great parking spot by some miracle, as the streets were packed.  I really wanted to see Buffalo Nickel, but then I saw Sue Foley was playing Continental at 4.  Ran back out to my car to get my regular glasses and discovered the Kansas Women's basketball team bus had wedged itself into my car and a truck on opposite ends.  I guess it was lucky I walked out because I don't know how the fuck they would have gotten that bus out of there had I not been able to move my wife's car and give the guy space to get down the street.  So of course I missed the bands I wanted to see.

Caught a few minutes of some solid country at CC in Jesse Daniels, and I am not the biggest country guy but there were solid and I would see them again.  But made the best of it and ended us watching the most of the Seratones set, and l was super happy I saw Houndmouth!  They fucking killed it!  I love coming in cold on a band and having them blow me away.  I did not do much research on them but knew they have a few semi hits, but they put on a hell of a show and moved into my number one position.  if you get a chance go see them, they had a very good set at SXSJ. Now if I can talk the wife into going today I will make it for in a row! 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Joseph a girl trio was also good and likely going places with their Dixie Chick vocals but more of a rock rooting.  

I’ve seen Joseph a few times. Discovered them about 4-5 years ago at South by San Jose. Saw them at a SXSW late show at Antones and then at ACL Fest. I like them. Three sisters with some really nice vocal harmonies.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:35 AM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Stick a pin in Paul Jacobs. Best artist (and tight band) I've seen so far that I was unaware of previously.

SXSW pet peeve of mine? Making it hard to find out when/where a band is playing..... no social media presence at all for this dude. Schedule says here in Austin from the 16th-20th, so I'd assume shows today and tomorrow, but nothing to be found. 

Otherwise, had a swing and a miss yesterday, went to see the local "En Orbito" who I've seen called a Psych-Cumbia group, but they played one song that might have been considered cumbia, and the rest was Psych jam-band with latin "grooves". Wouldn't see again. "Volcan" from San Antonio was much better at Hotel Vegas on Wednesday. night, the inside stage was packed and they looked extremely pleased and excited when they were granted an encore after the crowd hit them with the "otra otra otra".... Seeing them smile and then high-five each other after their set was probably my favorite memory so far. You can tell they appreciated it. 

Going to try to see SirWoman at Zilker at 5 then see where the night takes it.

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

Seen some pretty decent shit so far.  Wednesday was fun but sort of dangerous, as the first thing I did was go into a Pearl Stable event where it was open bar.  Saw Rosie Flores then the Peterson bros and hammed a few jacks down. By the time I had an old fashioned at Vespaio I was pretty toasted. I would say one of the bands I enjoyed most was Silver Synthetic at SXSJ.  Sort of a mix of Eagles, Allman Bros and Beach Boys.  They seemed like just some dudes who liked to play music.  Joseph a girl trio was also good and likely going places with their Dixie Chick vocals but more of a rock rooting.  

I ended up missing some of the stuff I wanted to see as usual, but Tomar and the FC's was worth the walk up the street to Lucy's as always.  A good local band that puts on a solid show each set.  The surprise was my after dinner glimpse of some old school punk from SurfBort at SXSJ.  Reminded me of the old Club Foot days, with the unbridled wildness of the show.  Wife watched from street as I made a quick move down to the front for the end of the show.  Got a great video of the lead singer coming out among the mosh pit/crowd.  

It's hard for me to tear ass day after day.  But went to Hotel Vegas early yesterday hoping to see Yard Act. But instead saw Chief Cleopatra, and about half of Surfbort's set.  I actually liked the outdoors stage at Hotel Vegas and will add that to my future rotations.   I then spend like 45 minutes trying to get from the east side to Travis Heights which was the usual SXSW nightmare.  But I got my usual great parking spot by some miracle, as the streets were packed.  I really wanted to see Buffalo Nickel, but then I saw Sue Foley was playing Continental at 4.  Ran back out to my car to get my regular glasses and discovered the Kansas Women's basketball team bus had wedged itself into my car and a truck on opposite ends.  I guess it was lucky I walked out because I don't know how the fuck they would have gotten that bus out of there had I not been able to move my wife's car and give the guy space to get down the street.  So of course I missed the bands I wanted to see.

Caught a few minutes of some solid country at CC in Jesse Daniels, and I am not the biggest country guy but there were solid and I would see them again.  But made the best of it and ended us watching the most of the Seratones set, and l was super happy I saw Houndmouth!  They fucking killed it!  I love coming in cold on a band and having them blow me away.  I did not do much research on them but knew they have a few semi hits, but they put on a hell of a show and moved into my number one position.  if you get a chance go see them, they had a very good set at SXSJ. Now if I can talk the wife into going today I will make it for in a row! 

Silver Synthetic's great. At HV right now, Surfbort's on in 10 minutes. They converted me last time here.

I'm surprised nobody ever did a "festival people of SXSW" coffee table book.  Although, it is getting tamer year over year.  

Whew, I didn't even do anything festival related since Thursday and I'm wiped out.  Gotta let you youngin's take over.  

Heard lots of great music, saw lots of hot ass, managed to not get towed.  Ate and drank great for several days in a row for maybe $50 total.  

I know it's cool to berate this thing, but it's back and once again---for music, tech, culture, and art---it was the center of the universe of 10 days.  That ain't nothing.

Good luck with y'all's hangovers today.  Let's beat the shit outta Purdue and do this again next year.  March 10-19th, 2023.  Remind me to drink more water.  

saw a lot of good bands on Friday. Meatraffle and King Hannah were the best new discoveries. 

difficult to overstate how good Beck was on Saturday night. went into it not expecting much...the last time I saw him was a little disappointing. half was solo acoustic and half was with a pedal steel accompanying him. he played for a long time, 25 songs over 2 hours. was thrilled that the set was heavy on songs from mutations and sea change, those are 2 of my favorites. his voice is still great and he had some good banter with the crowd. this was an all timer for me, was totally blown away. it also helped that all the badge people were late showing up so we were about 2 people from the rail the whole time. 

The Golden Age

Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime  (Korgis cover)

Rowboat

Say Goodbye

Canceled Check  

Guess I'm Doing Fine

I Heard That Lonesome Whistle Blow (Hank Williams cover)

Pay No Mind (Snoozer)

Lazy Flies

Nobody's Fault But My Own

Girl Dreams

Hollow Log  

I Am the Cosmos (Chris Bell cover) 

Bottle of Blues

Heart Is a Drum

40 Mermaids  (new song)

Lost Cause

Asshole

Fume  

Dead Melodies  

Sissyneck

Country Down

Debra  

One Foot In The Grave

True Love Will Find You in the End (Daniel Johnston cover)

fbdccc6d93f40510c22c039d13182bfc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2