Can I bring pot home from Colorado into Houston?

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

No leaf. That would be stupid as I can get all I want of that here. I only brought back some edibles. I like to have edibles for those times that smoking would be inappropriate.

Exactly. The cost of the risk is baked into the purchase price. I'd rather pay for the risk that take the risk.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 11:01 PM, RPM said:

They subscribe to a national database. They have plate readers EVERYWHERE. They timestamp everything. They cross reference EVERYTHING. You left Round Rock 5 days ago, spent 3 days in Colorado and are on the way back... Let's find a traffic violation and have a closer look. I mean if you're innocent, why would you protest? Only criminals only those engaged in criminal activity protest. Never, and I mean NEVER rent a u-haul. If you don't believe me just search the Wise County docket. It's their biscuits and gravy.

What if you parked somewhere else and walk to the dispensary?

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What if you parked somewhere else and walk to the dispensary?

You gonna walk from Texas to Colorado? They don't just scan cars at a dispensary. They scan every car on the road. They look for patterns. I've never seen one of the systems but I'd venture a guess that they have a search that works better than Surly's to filter "customers".

7 minutes ago, RPM said:

You gonna walk from Texas to Colorado? They don't just scan cars at a dispensary. They scan every car on the road. They look for patterns. I've never seen one of the systems but I'd venture a guess that they have a search that works better than Surly's to filter "customers".

I guess I took your post to mean that they were scanning cars in dispensary parking lots and uploading them to a national data base.  Ergo, if you didn't park at a dispensary, you wouldn't get flagged into said system.

If this is scanning cars on the road, there isn't much of a way around that.  But for whatever reason they don't appear to be doing this with traffic on I-80.  There they invent random pullovers for brown people driving cars with non-Midwestern plates.  Being a white guy from Iowa helps avoid that.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I guess I took your post to mean that they were scanning cars in dispensary parking lots and uploading them to a national data base.  Ergo, if you didn't park at a dispensary, you wouldn't get flagged into said system.

Oh I'm sure they do that, too. 

I have never heard of this.  Drive back and forth to Pagosa at least twice per year.   We have a home there and frequent the dispensaries.   Bring back a suitcase full of edibles for friends/neighbors.  Always 10-20 mph over speed limit and never been stopped.  Rarely see a dps/hp since covid.  We are old so I guess we don't fit the demographic?

15 hours ago, Gladeite said:

I have never heard of this.  Drive back and forth to Pagosa at least twice per year.   We have a home there and frequent the dispensaries.   Bring back a suitcase full of edibles for friends/neighbors.  Always 10-20 mph over speed limit and never been stopped.  Rarely see a dps/hp since covid.  We are old so I guess we don't fit the demographic?

Even if this is going on as described it's still going to have a low % hit rate.

If they’re scanning license plates to see who has been driving thru legal states, they’re going to run into a problem now that Texas is surrounded by a bunch of legal states.

As for flying from Denver, it’s against airport rules to possess marijuana at the Denver airport. If they catch you with a small quantity they will make you throw it away or leave. If they catch you with a large quantity they will either turn you over to federal authorities or the feds will turn you over to your destination city.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-takes-sacramento-austin-flight-with-43-lbs-of-marijuana/1710559543/

And as you see in the link, there are drug dogs, but not as many and they are looking for large quantities. A dog may alert on your bag, but if they open it and don’t see a briefcase full of bricks they probably don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For future reference, I've brought back half an ounce (2 separate quarters) twice from Denver to Austin. No problem. Why would they give a shit unless you have enough to sell. I just try to be discreet in my check-in bag. Put it in my pants pocket and roll it up or something. Don't open the seal so it doesn't smell. 

9 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

If they’re scanning license plates to see who has been driving thru legal states, they’re going to run into a problem now that Texas is surrounded by a bunch of legal states.

As for flying from Denver, it’s against airport rules to possess marijuana at the Denver airport. If they catch you with a small quantity they will make you throw it away or leave. If they catch you with a large quantity they will either turn you over to federal authorities or the feds will turn you over to your destination city.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-takes-sacramento-austin-flight-with-43-lbs-of-marijuana/1710559543/

And as you see in the link, there are drug dogs, but not as many and they are looking for large quantities. A dog may alert on your bag, but if they open it and don’t see a briefcase full of bricks they probably don’t care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yeah he tried to check in two bags that must have reeked + looked odd as hell on X-ray.  From what I understand, bringing small quantities of edibles/pens back in your carry-on is very low risk as it’s always in your possession and the rare beagle walking around is looking for explosives/prohibited foods, not drugs.  Throw some edibles in a carry on bag with similar-looking candy, and be done with it. 

You check your bag, higher risk of security having a dog, X-ray or random tear down when it’s out of sight.  I’m sure they have a higher inclination for these things on flights from California, Vegas, Denver and other locations…but the number grows every year so who knows.  All I do know is you don’t bring weight in your checked bag like a total fucking morning. 

Also know folks who have brought back stuff from Colorado in their car with no issue.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Don't bring back flower if you're driving back from CO.  Just bring gummies.  No way they have PC to search your car if all you have are gummies.

You sure bout dat, chief?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Hate said:

The report says they almost hit a police cruiser and had the edibles in plain site. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it sounds like these guys were being kind of dumb.

Also can’t qwhite put my finger on another reason 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

287 strikes again…

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A 21st birthday celebration ended with three Houston-area men behind bars in Clay County, Texas, charged with felony drug possession after being accused of having edibles in the car when they got pulled over.

Dandre and Dante Burroughs, and their roommate, Samuel Serrano-Griffiths, are currently in the Clay County Jail in Henrietta, Texas near Wichita Falls, each being held on a $50,000 bond.

She says her sons and Serrano-Griffiths are longtime friends and were on the way back from celebrating her sons' birthdays in Colorado. She says they are accused of having edibles in the car when they were pulled over.

The Clay County Sheriff's Office would not confirm the amount of drugs allegedly found in the car, but the drug charges the three are facing is a felony ranging between four and 400 grams. None of them have a criminal history in Harris County.

"They work. They are hard workers. They are just really good kids. Even though they are my kids, I am not just saying that, I have been told that many times, (of) how respectful they are," the mom said.

According to Clay County Sheriff Jeffrey Lyde, the deputy who made the arrest said it started as a traffic stop for speeding and an unsafe lane change.

UPDATE: Edibles at combined 2.5 lbs. were in Houston men's SUV, documents say

Katharine Harris, a drug policy fellow at the Baker Institute at Rice University, says she believes lawmakers should reconsider state drug laws and how offenses like these are handled.

"I think this case really highlights sort of the problems with the Texas law...I don't know what this is doing to protect public safety. And if they are convicted of these offenses, they will have felonies on their records, which will make it that much harder for them to get jobs," said Harris.

According to Sheriff Lyde, the three men had a video magistrate hearing where probable cause was found.

Burroughs says she has hired a lawyer to try to get the bond lowered, so then she can go through a bail bondsman and hopefully be able to get her sons out of jail.

https://abc13.com/houston-men-drug-arrests-arrested-for-edibles-clay-county-texas-dandre-burroughs/11798426/

Bernard

What the story and police report doesn't say is they were a hit on the nationwide plate scanner system the SO subscribes to. They come up with a BS reason to stop you then "think they smell marijuana." I keep telling you, nobody pays attention.

If you want to really have fun, Google 'Clay County Sheriff indicted'. They operate on the up and up.

I would agree with everyone in that traveling with edibles is the way to go.   I have a friend, ahem.  That has taken either taken edibles or brought gummies home on pretty much every domestic trip in the last 3 years.  Same friend, ahem.   took an entire vacuum sealed bag of brownies on a flight to NYC and just laid them right on the top of his clothes in his carryon.   On one trip to Seattle this person bought two packs of gummies back and told his kids that they were "for his elderly mom" to help her sleep.  When he was going through security his daughter says out loud.  Do you think they will care about the gummies.   Hey kid. snitches get stiches.  Shut up

Edited by midtown
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Hate said:

The report says they almost hit a police cruiser and had the edibles in plain site. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it sounds like these guys were being kind of dumb.

Also it’s sight 

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Any thoughts on doing this coming from Canada?  Ive got a tour through Canada coming up in June and was curious if there is an extra level of scrutiny.

I'll let you know next week. I mean, what? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I'll let you know next week. I mean, what? 

Toronto -> Calgary -> Vancouver over a 3 week span.  Good thing too as I need to reup my stash of various items.

One trick that has worked for me is sealing all my goodies (mostly flower/disposable vapes) in a screw top Yeti I got at an event (Ford Bronco launch promotional shit).  I pack that into my checked baggage and have had no issues at all.  SUCK MY FAT VAGINA TSA!!

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Toronto -> Calgary -> Vancouver over a 3 week span.  Good thing too as I need to reup my stash of various items.

One trick that has worked for me is sealing all my goodies (mostly flower/disposable vapes) in a screw top Yeti I got at an event (Ford Bronco launch promotional shit).  I pack that into my checked baggage and have had no issues at all.  SUCK MY FAT VAGINA TSA!!

I’m spending a long weekend in Toronto so I’ll be restocking and flying it home 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/2/2022 at 12:14 PM, hookemATL said:

Any thoughts on doing this coming from Canada?  Ive got a tour through Canada coming up in June and was curious if there is an extra level of scrutiny.

I put disposable pens in my dop bag and then the gummies in the front of my backpack with some mixed snacks (granola bar, candy bar) and had no issue at Toronto. And since you clear CBP in Canada before departure, all good. 

Carry-on though. I don’t check that shit, ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Thanks for the intel!  Do you remove from original packaging to help slim the items down?  I’ve done vapes in my carry on but never gummies. Good call on mixing with other snacks though. 

Yes I take vapes out of the packaging and put them in my dop bag. Blend right in. I leave gummies in packages because I don’t want to mix up flavors or strains - unless they search you, I don’t think scanners read labels. They just look like candy. 

Honestly don’t think Canada gives a fuck and since you process through customs and immigration before departure, doesn’t really make a shit once you arrive in the US. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

doesn’t really make a shit once you arrive in the US. 

Well DFW had a dog sniffing bags when I arrived at the international terminal in April. It was a young pup that sat for too many suitcases that they kept on tossing and finding nothing. I'm not sure if they're trained for weed or not though.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well DFW had a dog sniffing bags when I arrived at the international terminal in April. It was a young pup that sat for too many suitcases that they kept on tossing and finding nothing. I'm not sure if they're trained for weed or not though.

There’s a large criminal syndicate running cheap milkbones from Canada. It’s serious bidness. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

TSA/CBP airport dogs are usually bomb sniffers and for pests/invasive species. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1