$25 NCAA pick every seed contest

TXSooner518

Friend of mine used to run this back in the day and it was super fun, so I'm gonna fire it off this year.  Here's how it works, you pick one team from each seed line (so a 1 seed, a 2 seed, a 3 seed, all the way down to a 16 seed) and then a wild card team of any seed you want. The play-in games don't count, so for example if Indiana vs Virginia Tech is a 12 seed play-in game, you could pick the winner of Indy/Va Tech, but can't pick one of those teams and earn points for the play-in win. 

For scoring, you get 1 point for 1st round wins, 3 points for second round wins, 5 for S16 wins, 7 for E8 wins, 9 for FF wins, and 11 for national title win PLUS you get the seed value of the winning team for each win.  So a 1 seed that gets to the elite 8 would earn 12 total points (1+1, 1+3, 1+5). A 10 seed that gets to the sweet 16 would earn 24 (10+1, 10+3).

Can PM your picks or post them here. PM or post your email if you want standings updates. PM for payment info. $25 per entry. Selections and payment must be received by 11am Thu March 17. 

For transparency, here are my selections, so everyone knows I'm not trying to game my entry around other selections:

1 Zaga

2 Tucky

3 Tenn

4 UCLA

5 Iowa

6 Bama

7 Murray

8 SDSU

9 Memphis

10 Loyola

11 VT

12 UAB

13 SDSU

14 Yale

15 Delaware

16 Ga State

WC TX Tech

• Hook 'Em 1

I will post mine also:

1 Arizona

2 Auburn

3 Tenn

4 UCLA

5 Iowa

6 Texas

7 Murray State

8 Seton Hall

9 Creighton

10 Loyola 

11 Michigan

12 UAB

13 South Dakota St

14 Yale 

15 Delaware

16 TX Southern/TXA&MCC winner lol

WC  11 Va Tech 

1. Gonzaga

2. Kentucky 

3. Purdue 

4. UCLA

5. Iowa

6. Texas

7. Michigan State

8. North Carolina

9. Marquette

10. Loyola-Chicago

11. Michigan 

12. Indiana

13. South Dakota State

14. Colgate

15. Saint Peter’s

16. Norfolk State

Wildcard: Kansas

• Like 1

6 hours ago, joeycovers said:

In and Paid

1. Kansas

2. Nova

3. Texas Tech

4. Illinois

5. Iowa

6. Texas

7. Miich St

8. UNC

9. TCU

10. Loyola Chicago

11. VT

12. Indiana

13. Chatanooga

14. Colgate

15. Delaware

16. Wrightst /BRyant

Dude.  You picked Illinois AND Chattanooga

Up to 13 total entries now, with hopefully a few more coming tomorrow. Will pay top 2, 70%/30% unless we get to 20 entries, then pay top 3, 50/30/20%. I'm making a Google Sheet (I kinda suck at it, am learning though, but had invested too much time in a mediocre way of doing it, ha).  I will share the sheet in the thread at some point tomorrow, though I will be a bit slow updating, I am teaching a class 830-1230 then playing some golf then driving from Gladewater to Cedar Park. 

GL all!

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, deac_tracy said:
1 Gonzaga
2 Auburn
3 Texas Tech
4 Providence
5 Houston
6 LSU
7 USC
8 San Diego St
9 Creighton
10 Davidson
11 Notre Dame
12 New Mexico St.
13 Akron
14 Longwood
15 St. Peters

Wright St. 

WIldcard Texas Tech

The wildcard needs to be a team not in your original 16. I know it's confusing since that's different than Wulaw's free contest. The wild card here is a bonus team, not just a tiebreak. 

Tell me you have never hedged without telling me you have never hedged. 
Lol yeah i laughed at his comment especially when to my knowledge he isn't even in this.

I picked Texas and Va Tech....I am getting some pts fuckers. Plus I think both have a shot going a couple rds....just not sure which one
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Wade said:

Dude.  You picked Illinois AND Chattanooga

Which means he's guaranteed to get at least 4 points from those picks. If he picked teams who weren't facing each other then there's a probability he'd get zero points from his 4 and 13 picks. This is what makes this game interesting. I thought about just picking all the teams from one quadrant and hoping for a bunch of upsets like the South Regional in 2018. 

Edited by deac_tracy

Which means he's guaranteed to get at least 4 points from those picks. If he picked teams who weren't facing each other then there's a probability he'd get zero points from his 4 and 13 picks. This is what makes this game interesting. I thought about just picking all the teams from one quadrant and hoping for a bunch of upsets like the South Regional in 2018. 

Yeah I really like the various strategies which is why I got tired of missing this contest and decided to run it myself. In the original group there was always solid debate on the best 8/9 strat, to take opponents to guarantee at least 9 points or risk zero to try to get 19.

1 hour ago, deac_tracy said:

Yeah, I should have kept my mouth shut on a game I didn't really understand.  Especially on someone named joeycovers. 

Thanks for the explanation.  Seems like a cool game, I'll follow from afar..

• Haha 1

JESUS FUCKING FUCK

What an absolute travesty of a day in every Tourney-related contest I'm in. I'm sure UCLA is on their way to anally raping my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank in survivor. I'm home now so finishing up the spreadsheet which is super fun to do now that I'm already dead in the water. I'll have the link shortly.

Several of my friends pussed out disappointingly, so 14 total entries. Prize pool of TREE FITTY, so $245 to winner, $105 to runner up. GL all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Here is the link to the sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kmKM0eXjBdaLYFhS-Y1ZroWsDGzaSMRvkCDAtVCCsGk/edit?usp=sharing

I'm apparently too dumb or tilted to figure out to make the leaderboard automatically sort once new data is entered that changes scores, so currently I'm "re-sorting" after each wave, but if anyone can tell me how to easily do that, I can do that. 

This has been updated through last night. Hilarious that no entries had Dook who obvz goes ona  run. Remaining contenders with teams remaining in paren:

Deadhead Faja 131 (Nova, UCLA, UNC, Miami, Iowa St)
HornPhD 129 (Kansas, Purdue, UCLA, UNC, St. Pete)
JoshK 127 (UCLA, Houston, Iowa St, St. Pete)
Blotto 120 (UCLA, Houston, Arkansas)
Deac Tracy 119 (Prov, Houston, St. Pete)
Bartles 119 (Nova, Purdue, UCLA, UNC, Miami, Iowa State)

16 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Looks like HornPhD and my dad (Deadhead Faja) have locked the money spots. If Kansas beats Nova, PhD wins and if Nova wins, pops wins. GG all!

This is not accurate.  Deadhead has locked a money spot. HornPhD will get the other unless Villanova wins the natty in which case Bartles would be in 2nd place over him.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Congrats to @HornPhD for winning this!  $245 headed your way, let me know if the PayPal you paid with is where you want it. My pops Deadhead Faja got 2nd. I was impressed that I got less than 25% of the winning score. 

Thank you, sir! And thanks again for setting this up. The PayPal I used to pay will work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 11 months later...