Dude steals yacht, plays bumper boats with it...

crash_davis

and bail is set at 3 fucking million dollars???? 

First degree murder bail (if there is a bail) is around $1M. This dude gets $3M for wrecking a few boats and floating docks. Lesson: don't commit property crimes against rich people.

tenor.gif

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-stolen-yacht-crashing-boats-newport-beach-harbor/

Joel Siam, 38, of San Diego was arrested on suspicion of grand theft of a boat and possession of a stolen boat and was jailed on $3 million bail, authorities said.

Saw that vid on the Qualifiedcaptain account yesterday (BTW, a hysterical follow -- I recommend).

I recognized the harbor immediately, but didn't realize it was a stolen boat, and thought what the everloving fuck?  Then, saw it was some sort of nutbar incident, and shrugged my shoulders.  But yes, let this be a lesson -- do not commit a property crime against the Orange County rich folks.  They are touchy about that sort of thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Saw that vid on the Qualifiedcaptain account yesterday (BTW, a hysterical follow -- I recommend).

I recognized the harbor immediately, but didn't realize it was a stolen boat, and thought what the everloving fuck?  Then, saw it was some sort of nutbar incident, and shrugged my shoulders.  But yes, let this be a lesson -- do not commit a property crime against the Orange County rich folks.  They are touchy about that sort of thing.

D2F84E04-4566-4ACE-8632-444315B78997.jpeg

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, my buddy has his boat there, and he got down there right after it happened.  Dude would be better off in jail than on the street if he fucked up my boat like that.  I'd go all pirate justice on his ass.

that's what insurance is for. however, i've been looking to sell my boat that i bought in 2014. 

holy fuck! i bought it used. the NADA value now is almost double what i paid for it. 

so i kind of understand your sentiment because if you lost your boat now, you prob aint getting one near the same quality/value.

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

These days, it's not hard to make bail that's set at over a million.

my understanding is you just have to pay 10% of the bail amount. so someone has to come up with $300k to bail out this dude for wrecking a few boats and floating docks.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:05 PM, crash_davis said:

that "bmw 525i" of yachts probably is around 45' and cost $1M+ new. 

Reports say it was 60-65 feet. Can’t figure the make and model from the video (and don’t want to sleuth it) but new that could easily be a $3-4m motor yacht. If it’s 10-15 years old it’s probably still $700,000 - $1.2m depending on condition and make/model.

also he almost killed a woman sleeping in a sailboat, could be a more serious charge than property damage and theft. 

Edited by troph

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 3:08 PM, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, anything over 35' is classified as a yacht. Yeah, I know that definition was probably determined by people that really wanted to own a yacht.

I’ve also heard it requires overnight accommodations i.e. a cabin and head. Honestly though I think you are correct in your thinking about people just wanting to call their boat a yacht.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 3/23/2022 at 4:26 PM, PittsburghTiger said:
These are yachts.
3BD28CD9-A3E9-434B-A903-23F26871EB80_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.59ab7494abb38ad1c7c99b6acdf98f1e.jpeg
emoji115.png 469-feet. emoji116.png 239-feet.
IMG_2110.thumb.jpeg.1ad718897b3f0c47298ab2f2e114d010.jpeg

The top one has been seized as it belongs to an oligarch.

Yup, it caused quite the stir when we saw it at the beach a few years back.

It was impressive in its sheer mass. It's huge, just huge.

I also took the picture of Yalla. That was taken in St. Tropez. 

• Hook 'Em 1