Better get your Dirty’s fix, soon.

Deej

Dirty Martin's Place, open since 1926 and originally known as Martin's KumBak (earning its nickname due to its earlier lack of flooring) is apparently in the way of the Orange Line of Project Connect. It has remained a hot spot for adjacent University of Texas students for the entire time, and maintains an outdoor garden area popular in the evenings.

Manager Daniel Young, via a forum dedicated to Austin's many past-and-present greasy spoons, confirmed rumors the establishment had received an eminent domain letter from the city

https://thetravistracker.blogspot.com/2022/03/project-connect-claims-first-victim.html?fbclid=IwAR3zScJrgicg0u__G1MkE4zLK8fvcAJgch0nIpja5v7maFp0JHRwFzOmiFQ

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Would easily qualify for a historic designation by the city to prevent the city from demolishing it.

Need someone in Pemberton to claim it's their home. They'd slap that historic designation on it yesterday.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Feel bad for them.  They were shut down for the longest time, then re-opened (got to eat there a few times last year), then shut down again for repairs/upgrades/code stuff.  Only to now, after spending that time and money and energy, have to shut down forever?  

Prediction:  City buys it, vacates them, and then the building sits idle for two years while Council figures out a way to grift the Project Connect bond money, then in 2025 something actually happens on the land.  When we could have been enjoying delicious burgers and supporting a long-time small business cornerstone of Austin during that timeframe.  Bank on it.

1 -- I ate there just last week.  It remains glorious.

2 -- I am really, really, really beginning to hate this town.  It seems our motto is now "is there something that still has any sort of old Austin vibe to it?  Something accessible, affordable, and good?  THEN KILL IT."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Damn.  Shady Grove and now this.  Two of our 'go to' places for cheap food when we came here in the 90s.  Went to Dirty's a few months pre pandemic.  It was indeed glorious.

When we were in college, got to move from a two bedroom apartment in the Colorado Married student housing complex to a three bedroom complex at Brackenridge... heading towards the dam, it is the first apartment that you see.  

Anyways, it was a long day getting moved and getting the old apartment cleanup.  It was late and my wife and my oldest daughter and myself were starving.  We hit up Dirty's.

We sat in the car... 'is that our food' was said by at least one of us each time we saw the car hop coming out.  We got our food... burgers, fries, tater tots and milk shakes.  It was a freaking religious experience.  One of the best meals I ever ate and will remember.  

fuck.  

Edited by BonzoMontreaux
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 10:16 AM, Lobo said:

Feel bad for them.  They were shut down for the longest time, then re-opened (got to eat there a few times last year), then shut down again for repairs/upgrades/code stuff.  Only to now, after spending that time and money and energy, have to shut down forever?  

Prediction:  City buys it, vacates them, and then the building sits idle for two years while Council figures out a way to grift the Project Connect bond money, then in 2025 They cancel the project and lease the space to 5 guys or some other generic piece of shit chain.  When we could have been enjoying delicious burgers and supporting a long-time small business cornerstone of Austin during that timeframe.  Bank on it.

fixed it for me. 

Also makes you wonder what other landmarks will get eminent domain'd by this project. It still boggles my mind that voters in Austin voted to let Cap Metro manage a project of this scale. When have they ever exhibited a modicum of project management sense?

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

This also involves taking cars off the Drag through campus for the rail line. Call your council member, they need to put the rail line underground.

Along with your call, are you going to donate the billions necessary to cover the costs of another 3 miles of tunnel?

1 minute ago, hookemATL said:

And yet not a peep when the JitB next to Hole in the Wall shutdown. You fuckers didn’t care then, didcha!!!

If we preserved every place where young Brisket showed up piss-drunk to eat stacks of terrible fast-food......well, there ain't shit woulda ever got built in this town.

• Hook 'Em 3

Speaking of Hole in the Wall, I thought I read it was just barely saved. I have very distinct memories of The Reality sandwich, quarter operated pool tables and vidya games when I would go with my pops to work as a youngun. 

It’s just north of where Dean Keaton is going to cut through to San Antonio. But Jenn’s Copies is fucked.

This is fucked. Dallas would do something like this. Wrecking history for no good reason.

Lol, yep. They’re about to demolish a whole block of historic buildings for another generic midrise in Bishop Arts.

This is bullshit, being displaced for future shitty mismanaged Cap Metro run light rail.
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, royiv said:

It still boggles my mind that voters in Austin voted to let Cap Metro manage a project of this scale. When have they ever exhibited a modicum of project management sense?

Rail projects just go back on the ballot until they pass.  They only have to win a best 1 out of x

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dirty's >>> Player's

Correct.  But I loved them both.  The were part of my holy trifecta of campus area burger places, along with G&M, which was actually the closest joint for me back in the day.  I mean, a strong honorable mention goes to Mad Dog and Beans as well.  But Dirty's is the last man standing.

I understand a city can't preserve EVERYTHING.  But that doesn't mean that we keep NOTHING.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I remember really liking the fries at Player’s. Burgers were good too. I do like Dirty’s better. 

I think Crown & Anchor is he best burger in North Campus. Abel’s made a damn good burger in West Campus, I’m a sucker for a sourdough bun. 

I can’t remember ever eating anything at Posse East. I just drank beer there. 

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Mine were Dirty's, G&M, and Posse East.  Eventually Crown & Anchor replaced G&M for me.

I don't actually recall if the burgers at the Posse were all that great, but it was our primary bar given its proximity to the nerd wing of campus.

Posse was my law school joint.  I loved Crown too, but the Posse was like 100 steps closer to me, and I was a lazy beer drinking SOB.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I can’t remember ever eating anything at Posse East. I just drank beer there. 

We mostly ate their nachos, which were pretty much just canned refried beans, velveeta and pickled jalapenos on tostadas.  Went well with beer.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We mostly ate their nachos, which were pretty much just canned refried beans, velveeta and pickled jalapenos on tostadas.  Went well with beer.

They were glorious with beer.  The burger was solid.  The Sheriff sandwich wasn't bad, either.  Again, "with lots of beer" is the qualifier for all of these.

I will fucking rage if Dirty's closes. I don't think it's going to happen. I think they'll designate the building a historical landmark or something. But regarding timing, I can't see it happening imminently. Probably take 6 months or longer. 

Dirty's and Crown are my favorite North Campus burgers. I like Posse for game watching and beer drinking. Their nacho's will do in a pinch. But if I'm hungry I'm probably walking down to Crown for a burger. 

• Hook 'Em 1