Missile strike against US base in Erbil

JesusSweatDuck

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Meh. Shit like this happens all the time. Unless there's a Russian tie in I'm not sure I see where the escalation occurs.

Early reports say this might be a little different...not just small rockets launched from nearby, but 6 ballistic missiles launched from an Iranian missile base.  Just what the world needed right now...

8 minutes ago, morehornsepower said:

Early reports say this might be a little different...not just small rockets launched from nearby, but 6 ballistic missiles launched from an Iranian missile base.  Just what the world needed right now...

I mean we assassinated Soleimani and nothing happened.

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

But there’s a lot of “the enemies of my enemies are the enemies of my enemies are my friends” sort of stuff that goes on in that part of the world, so it gets confusing. 

I think a lot of shit is about to get sorted out (for awhile).

4 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I think a lot of shit is about to get sorted out (for awhile).

Shit in that area is never going to get sorted out. 

I still think one of the biggest mistakes the US has ever made in its foreign policy was shifting from giving massive support to a known despot and human rights abuser in the Shah to undercutting him and giving tacit support to Khomeni. 

I also bemoan the move away from having a secular government in Turkey to now having an ostensibly secular government that moves farther and farther away from that each year Erdogan remains in power, but that’s a different story. That was more about a miscalculation by the EU than the US. 

In any case, my hope is the response to this is massive. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Okay, so why now?

We killed Soleimani over two years ago.

Is Iran officially on Russia's team for the end of the world?  Or are the Iranians just doing this now because they always intended to eventually and they see an opportunity to further drive up the price of oil?  Other ideas?

So was this another repeat of 8 January 2020?  They told Iraq they were going to launch missiles, presumably Iraq told us (or we were listening in, I don't buy the Space Force angle).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Martyr_Soleimani#U.S._response

The strike was the largest ballistic missile attack ever against Americans. Initially, the U.S. was not willing to concede the seriousness of the attack. While it initially assessed that none of its service members were injured or killed, the U.S. Department of Defenseultimately said that 110 service members had been diagnosed and treated for traumatic brain injuries (mainly concussions) from the attack. Some of them were later awarded the Purple Heart.

Iran reportedly informed the Iraqi government of an imminent attack shortly beforehand.Some analysts suggested the strike was deliberately designed to avoid causing any fatalities in order to dissuade an armed American response.However, United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the attack was intended to kill. The U.S. said it was able to avoid fatalities due to early warning provided by the United States Space Force.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b56w9j47qem0uvnc1hsx

As for retaliation, we sanctioned them and a bunch of their generals.

I'm wondering if it's the same thing - be interesting to hear if Iraq was informed, or if we were, and if we get no fatalities, really makes me wonder if this was just Iran trying to posture for whatever reason.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, so why now?

Is Iran officially on Russia's team for the end of the world?  Or are the Iranians just doing this now because they always intended to eventually and they see an opportunity to further drive up the price of oil?  Other ideas?

Apparently we’ve been soliciting them for oil. So this move is even more interesting?   So they think the solicitation for oil is a sign of weakness?  A sign of desperation?   That we are embroiled in Ukraine and they can act with impunity?  This is turning into a shit show.  

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, so why now?

Why would they have always intended this eventually?  The attack on January 8, 2020, was accurately targeted and could have killed a bunch of American troops, but we had a lot of warning, enough to get everybody in bunkers, and then our President and the Iranians said they stood down.  If then Iranians wanted dead Americans two years ago, they wouldn't have warned anybody.

Tonight was in Kurdish territory, against our facility, but at a time when relations might have been improving between the US and Iran, and where Iran could have benefitted from the Russians being knocked down a few pegs.  Syria is pretty fucked up right now, and if the Russians get knocked down a few pegs, that could leave a bit of a power vacuum in the Middle East, one the Iranians could have exploited.

Some weird fucking flexing on the part of the Iranians.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Why would they have always intended this eventually?

I don't know.  I'm looking for any reason to not feel like this is a second country that has announced to the world that it actually wants World War III with the West.  And I'm not coming up with any.

9 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I don't know.  I'm looking for any reason to not feel like this is a second country that has announced to the world that it actually wants World War III with the West.  And I'm not coming up with any.

Do we need to shoot down another Iranian airliner?

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, pops said:

Good fuck. We have more oil than we need in this country. Doesn't mean the oil companies will produce and refine it but fuck all these bitches in the goat ass. 

This gets political really quickly. i.e. I'd respond to this but I'd be CRing the post. 

• Like 1

Starting to sound like Iran was trying to hit some facility owned by Israel, a few days after Israel killed some Iranian colonels, and the missiles didn't hit US facilities.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-looks-iraq-attack-after-iran-says-israel-killed-colonels-syria-1687505

The semi-autonomous Kurdistan Regional Government's Directorate General of Counter Terrorism reported that 12 ballistic missiles targeted near the U.S. consulate in Erbil and were launched outside of Iraq's borders to the east, where Iran is located.

Iran's semi-official Fars News Agency linked the two events in Iraq and Syria in a report Saturday, hinting that the timing was not a coincidence, and that a training center for Israeli spy agency Mossad was the target.

I think if it had hit the actual US consulate, we'd know it.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Starting to sound like Iran was trying to hit some facility owned by Israel, a few days after Israel killed some Iranian colonels, and the missiles didn't hit US facilities.

https://www.newsweek.com/us-looks-iraq-attack-after-iran-says-israel-killed-colonels-syria-1687505

I think if it had hit the actual US consulate, we'd know it.

I want to get outraged and save the world from my keyboard. It's easier to do that when I know they're targeting the US. This is still not okay, but it doesn't muster the kind of righteous anger I was ready to unleash, dammit.

Also reports coming in it was 12 missiles that landed but didn't actually hurt anyone. It's early, so maybe that turns out to be incorrect. A part of me thinks maybe their missiles aren't very accurate. Another part of me says, hey, maybe they're amazingly accurate! Like the guy who gets every question wrong on the SAT. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I want to get outraged and save the world from my keyboard. It's easier to do that when I know they're targeting the US. This is still not okay, but it doesn't muster the kind of righteous anger I was ready to unleash, dammit.

Also reports coming in it was 12 missiles that landed but didn't actually hurt anyone. It's early, so maybe that turns out to be incorrect. A part of me thinks maybe their missiles aren't very accurate. Another part of me says, hey, maybe they're amazingly accurate! Like the guy who gets every question wrong on the SAT. 

I think they're shooting rockets to appease locals but giving everyone a ton of heads up to prevent deaths and the resulting punishment that would come

1 hour ago, JerrysJheriCurl said:

Have friends in Erbil.
They fired missiles at camps claiming to be affiliated with Israel. Am told this is in response for killing Iranian soldiers. 

That would be welcomed news because Israel needs another reason to lay waste to that shithole.  

I dunno, I'm not the one lobbing missiles there.  In my opinion, Israel should get a 90 day hall pass and get to lay waste to whatever they want.  But that's just me.  I'm torn---guy with Jewish ancestry on one side and Kriegsmarine officers on the other side.  

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Welp, made it 80 years between world wars this time. Good progress over previous high. 

Thr Romans (ahem…Italians) were able jerk out 200yrs of the Pax Romana but they were colonial, arrogant and dictatorial. We are simply dipshits

• Haha 1

No, the Romans were dipshits.  We're a somewhat intelligent nation caring for about 50 million incompetent dipshits.  And therein lies our strength.  

18 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:

Answer to that can only be discussed in the CR.

Fair enough and probably correct.  My only assumption is whether this has Putin's fingerprints on it?  We talked in the Ukraine thread about a "counterpunch".  This might be the start of that?  A distraction?