Texas vs Va Tech - Friday, 3:30pm on TBS

shadow_operative

You can’t control your schedule, but prior to the last 2 days of the ACC tourney look at the NET ratings of the teams VaTech ran their hot streak against - none of them are as high as OU. Not saying we can’t come out and lay a turd, but I like the idea of playing anyone who was on the bubble before their conference tourney and then played 4 games in 4 days.

I haven’t watched VaTech before this last week, but they kind of feel like some of our Penders-era teams - thin bench, heavily reliant on 3s. Hopefully we regain our January defensive form and make this a 1994 Michigan Penders team performance and not a 1990 Xavier…

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Va Tech- Friday, 3:30pm on TBS
22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

538's round by round has Texas at 54% to make the second round.   Then it falls off a cliff at 20% chance of advancing to the Sweet 16

2022 March Madness Predictions | FiveThirtyEight

54% reads as toss-up, which seems to be what Vegas says too

Assuming Milwaukee is considered "neutral" (which it should be), KenPom has it Texas - 2.55.

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

no doubt we got screwed.  I'd take any of the other 11's and would certainly take Wisconsin or Tenn instead of Purdue as the 3.

That said, when do we find out that Marcus Carr's real name is Don McEarney and he's 30?

Dont really see how we should get the benefit of the doubt in any way from the committee considering the last several tourney bids and how Texas totally limped into the postseason.  There was ample opportunity to improve seeding and find a better home in the bracket, but we pissed that away and got what we got.  Fingers crossed there is some kind of magic mind voodoo that Beard has going on to help things click when it matters the absolute most.

Selfishly, id love a matchup with Purdue as my wife started grad school there at the beginning of this year.  She ordered a t-shirt just to rub it in my face if UT advances to take on the Boilermakers.

4 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Dont really see how we should get the benefit of the doubt in any way from the committee considering the last several tourney bids and how Texas totally limped into the postseason.  There was ample opportunity to improve seeding and find a better home in the bracket, but we pissed that away and got what we got.  Fingers crossed there is some kind of magic mind voodoo that Beard has going on to help things click when it matters the absolute most.

Selfishly, id love a matchup with Purdue as my wife started grad school there at the beginning of this year.  She ordered a t-shirt just to rub it in my face if UT advances to take on the Boilermakers.

Hold onto a 20 point lead and we are a 5 seed.

Instead we FAAFO last week.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

All this agonizing over which 11 seed or 3 seed we would rather face amuses me. If we play as well as we are capable of playing, we can beat all 8 teams currently seeded 3 & 11. But this team can also come out flat/uninspired and lose to any of them. Its up to Beard & staff to get their head right and come out and play our best ball. If we do that we move on, if not it doesn't really matter who our matchup was. We're not playing the 73 Bruins here, its fucking Virginia Tech. Nut the fuck up and play our best ball. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

No. 6 Texas vs. No. 11 Virginia Tech

What a great story Virginia Tech is, and the Hokies wrote the story nobody outside of their locker room would ever believe. Highly regarded to start the season, the Hokies were 10-10 after 20 games, and started out 0-4 and 2-7 in the ACC. The low point seemed to hit when Miami's Charlie Moore hit a running 40-footer at the buzzer in Cassell Coliseum to beat Virginia Tech and seemingly stop whatever momentum and belief Mike Young was trying to establish with his team. Yet the Hokies picked themselves up off the canvas and finished 13-2, winning the ACC tournament title over Duke. This team can shoot it, with Hunter Cattoor, who hit nine 3s against Florida State and was magnificent in the title game against Duke, Storm Murphy and Darius Maddox making plays and big shots. Murphy is a tough floor leader who backs down to no one and is the heart and soul of the team. Justyn Mutts is the team's most versatile player, one who can guard anyone and is the team's best passer. Keve Aluma is an All-ACC performer who can operate in the post and on the perimeter, and joins Mutts as a forecourt player that Virginia Tech can play through with his passes and decision-making. Virginia Tech is on a roll, and if it can come down off the high of the ACC title game, it can win. If the Hokies continue to make shots at a high level (they hit over 39% from deep as a team, ranking fifth in the nation) don't count them out.

Texas is formidable on the defensive end and forces a lot of turnovers. Timmy Allen, the brother of New Mexico State's Teddy Allen, moves without the ball better than any forward in the Big 12 and is in constant motion. Andrew Jones and Courtney Ramey are experienced guards who can score, but Texas has dropped three straight games without scoring over 63 points. Virginia Tech is on a roll and confident, with too many matchup issues for Texas to stop.

Winner: Virginia Tech

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/33497726/jay-bilas-picks-every-single-game-2022-ncaa-men-basketball-tournament

This season has been pretty shitty overall IMO.  Could have def been worse, but I think expectations were just way too high given the circumstances.  Looking at it through that lense, its hard not to see this as a bummer of a season.

HOWEVER, I will consider this season a success if we can just make it to round 2.  I have said it all year that we brought Chris Beard here to win in March.  I just want to make it to round 2 and thats all I care about.  Get that W and this season is a win IMO. 

Upset chance: 49%

One day after knocking off Duke by 15 to win the ACC title, the Hokies are rewarded with ... an 11-seed? It's an oddball decision that sets up a clear-as-day "upset" opportunity -- with upset in quotes because I'm not even certain which team will end up favored here. Texas and Virginia Tech are one spot apart in BPI's rankings and four spots apart in adjusted efficiencies. These very equal teams are somehow five seed lines apart.

The Hokies' exceptional efficiency beyond the arc is a telltale trait of a Giant Killer. Though again, the odds here are more like an 8-9 matchup. If you're in a pool where your competitors will be blinded by the seed differential, Virginia Tech is an easy selection to advance to the round of 32.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/33493480/giant-killers-10-most-likely-first-round-upsets-march-madness-2022-bracket

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

All this agonizing over which 11 seed or 3 seed we would rather face amuses me. If we play as well as we are capable of playing, we can beat all 8 teams currently seeded 3 & 11. But this team can also come out flat/uninspired and lose to any of them. Its up to Beard & staff to get their head right and come out and play our best ball. If we do that we move on, if not it doesn't really matter who our matchup was. We're not playing the 73 Bruins here, its fucking Virginia Tech. Nut the fuck up and play our best ball. 

captain obvious has entered the chat.  If we play our A game we can beat anyone! If we play our D game we can lose to anyone!  thanks for the tip.

i think Purdue would kill us. i have no faith in beating that team should we both advance. 

7A59B7C2-1DD6-4AD9-9441-D797C747B1C6.thumb.jpeg.34e039683638b9f149aaf020bc21d670.jpeg

they've got an absolute star in jaden ivey (even Ramey isn't going to stop him), a 7-4 center, and then look at those rebounding numbers for williams and edey. two super elite rebounders + a real star player + an elite offense. i do not like that matchup.

funny enough, i was talking with my dad (nobody tell detroit horn) during the tennessee game, and i commented on how i wanted to avoid teams with great size and athletes, "like Kentucky and Auburn" i said. then the guy sitting next to my dad chimed in, "and Purdue", to which we all nodded in agreement. well; we're one win away from facing one of the few teams i truly was hoping to avoid in the opening rounds. 

Edited by shadow_operative

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I expect us to win two. This ain’t fucking Shaka.

This Texas team can’t currently beat a team imo that is so good at shooting threes and running an offense built around screens. VT has handled unauthentic teams like Texas well the last few weeks and I se nothing stopping them from beating this Texas team that can’t rebound or outphysical anyone. Hopefully Beard can turn the roster over this offseason better than he did this last one. They haven’t improved as the season has progressed, that Kansas game notwithstanding.  

It's just hard to predict this one. I had said 2-1 in our final 3 regular season games would be great and 1-2 would be acceptable. I couldn't watch or follow the XII tourney game but the way we lost was disappointing and I would call it our only "bad" loss since we were up by 20 half way through. KSU at home was another head scratcher. I think we beat VA Tech because we bounced back after that KSU loss.

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

This Texas team can’t currently beat a team imo that is so good at shooting threes and running an offense built around screens. VT has handled unauthentic teams like Texas well the last few weeks and I se nothing stopping them from beating this Texas team that can’t rebound or outphysical anyone. Hopefully Beard can turn the roster over this offseason better than he did this last one. They haven’t improved as the season has progressed, that Kansas game notwithstanding.  

What the fuck is an unauthentic team? Texas may be unathletic compared to other teams in the best conference in basketball, but VT doesn't have anywhere close to the athletes that Baylor, Kanas, Tech, or TCU have. You know the teams Texas has lost to in the final few weeks on the season.

38 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

It's just hard to predict this one. I had said 2-1 in our final 3 regular season games would be great and 1-2 would be acceptable. I couldn't watch or follow the XII tourney game but the way we lost was disappointing and I would call it our only "bad" loss since we were up by 20 half way through. KSU at home was another head scratcher. I think we beat VA Tech because we bounced back after that KSU loss.

Yeah, Texas is 8-6 since the KSU loss. They beat ISU, KU, TCU x 2, and Tennessee. Four teams in the tournament, while also winning at OU and at WVU. They lost to Tech x 2, Baylor x 2, KU, and TCU again four teams in the NCAA tournament. Texas can win this game without their offense firing; VT has no hope if it's the same way.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I will say Texas switches better than the teams Virginia Tech has been playing. Have to make sure we extend the defense. They’ll pop off from 2 to 3 feet BTA without hesitation. Texas can also slow the game down. VTech’s only two losses in the last 15 games came the only two times they scored less than 60. 

Need the typical formula. Points off turnovers. Win the turnover battle. Efficient on offense. If they hit well below their season average on 3s (39%!!!) they’re going to be in some trouble. I predict Texas being very physical with them on the defensive side. 

This definitely has shades of the Temple matchup in 2001, with the exception that Texas team got screwed and this one it is more of a case of them screwing themselves. I’m excited! Get this win and hold up the V sign for victory! I want no part of Purdue, but it is what it is. I still hope we get to see them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, Texas is 8-6 since the KSU loss. They beat ISU, KU, TCU x 2, and Tennessee. Four teams in the tournament. They lost to Tech x 2, Baylor x 2, KU, and TCU again four teams in the NCAA tournament. Texas can win this game without their offense firing; VT has no hope if it's the same way.

Yeah, I see it the same way. This is not the worst kind of matchup. VTech doesn’t have much of a low post presence really at all. They do have some dribble penetration, and they’re great at spreading the floor, so have to extend to defend the 3 point line while staying in front of their guards without excessive fouling. No guarantees, but doable. 

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

I will say Texas switches better than the teams Virginia Tech has been playing. Have to make sure we extend the defense. They’ll pop off from 2 to 3 feet BTA without hesitation. Texas can also slow the game down. VTech’s only two losses in the last 15 games came the only two times they scored less than 60. 

Need the typical formula. Points off turnovers. Win the turnover battle. Efficient on offense. If they hit well below their season average on 3s (39%!!!) they’re going to be in some trouble. I predict Texas being very physical with them on the defensive side. 

This definitely has shades of the Temple matchup in 2001, with the exception that Texas team got screwed and this one it is more of a case of them screwing themselves. I’m excited! Get this win and hold up the V sign for victory! I want no part of Purdue, but it is what it is. I still hope we get to see them. 

this is the best switching team we've had since...maybe ever. it might be what we do best. that's my one big hail mary hope- that our conference slate with teams like BU, KU, and TTU, could possibly make the likes of VT and Purdue less daunting for us, and a real problem for our opponents. this no-middle defense is so legit, and while we don't have the athletes we'd like to have to optimally run this defense, our team as a whole really seems to have bought in and mastered the art of switching in this defense, and that's huge. that's the key, the reason that we hold teams to such low scores- bad shots, few assists, pull up jumpers, late shot clock heaves, and as few shots from the paint as possible. our elite switching is what makes this defense tick. hopefully our experience in the league will pay dividends in this tourney. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

They do have some dribble penetration, 

They don't get to the line very much, though, at #298 of 350 teams (~ 13 FT attempts per game).  They're #85 in FT percentage (74.3%).  Median is 71.4%, so they're not drastically better.

I predict Yale beats Purdue.  

Also, the more I'm learning about this Hokies college...I don't care for them one bit.  

Are we doing a Surly watch party on immamac's tab or what?  

12 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Our 3/4 court press/man is going to be really important. Need to slow them down getting into their sets and stay extended out for deep shots. That said I like our ability to defend them. As you said we switch really well and have been a good 3 point defense all year. Can’t get lost on switches though like what happened a few times against TCU. 
I like us to win a close game here tbh

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Va Tech - Friday, 3:30pm on TBS