Tokyo Vice. Michael Mann. HBO Max.

Parliament

i would have made a bet with anyone out there that within 5 mins of episode 1,  the first gaijin would have dropped... for sure no longer than the first 10 mins. 

and I would have been wrong. our first gaijin gets dropped by his fucking boss 21 mins into the first ep. 

On 4/12/2022 at 4:24 AM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

I'm two episodes in and totally digging it. I'm surprised though there's no love interest. Any good looking gaijin with blonde hair and that fluent in Nihongo is getting laid. 

I know several guys that worked with Adelstein at the Yomiuri but they were at the English paper. Looking forward to them watching it to get their takes. 

One thing about the Yakuza, I always found them to be kind of comical. Definitely not in the same category as the Russian mob. 

First Japanese girl I ever dated was the daughter of a Yakuza member. We dated for 4 years. Great chick, still keep in touch. Anyway, her dad ran a red-light district somewhere around Asakusa. She didn't care for her father at all. When she was a kid, he fell in love with one of his prostitutes. She recalls going to Ueno Park one day with her dad and some strange woman. He eventually left them for this chick. He was arrested a few years later and she testified in court against her dad at age 11. She only saw him sparingly after getting released. 

A few months after we started dating, she told me I had to have a sit down dinner with both of her divorced parents at the apartment. It's unusual to meet Japanese parents when you're only casually dating. He definitely wanted to meet this gaijin dating his daughter. Definitely a memorable dinner. He wasn't impressed. 

I worked briefly at a small English school in Asakusa, pretty heavy Yak area. All of our Japanese staff were women. One day, a couple of Yakuza fellas came in wanting to speak to the manager. They were put in one of the classrooms until the manager finally came in and introduced herself. They repeated their request to speak to the manager but she replied that she was in fact the manager. They told her that they didn't do business with women and that they would return later to speak to a man. A few days later, they came back to find the same manager and - again - said they would return to talk to a man. They never came back. Weird.  

So Episode 4. Please tell the thread how. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

19 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

oooo 2 new epsi!

hahah.. bruh. when NSYNC song came on at dance club... haha..

finally seen some tits!!! noice!!! no bush tho.

Lol moment for me, having the likable yak just flipping off Jake when *NSYNC came on at the club. 

1 hour ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

For the record, age of consent in Japan is 16. 

Google 'Enjo-kosai'. 

You're coming on a little strong in this thread. Maybe explore some of the rest of the board and establish yourself in the community before posting this much about 16 yo Japanese girls. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

You're coming on a little strong in this thread. Maybe explore some of the rest of the board and establish yourself in the community before posting this much about 16 yo Japanese girls. 

he lived in Japan and he’s sharing his experience. I’ve enjoyed his posts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Caught back up.

Spoiler

1) Samantha's storyline is dumb.  And she's acting dumb.  Started out all chill and cool and all the sudden she flakes out all the time.

2) The plot twist at the airport was not a surprise, but they did it well.  I'll allow it.

3) Jake gets burnt on a bad tip.  His boss and his boss's boss were pissed.  Great turn there.  Make him earn his way out of a setback.  Then next episode it's all cool.  In fact, all the sudden he's all cool in every way.  Not a dork anymore.

I like this show, but it can be better.

so whats everyones guess on what disease Ozawa has?

So far they have shown hes got those stupid ugly bruises on his face that need makeup to cover

his dick dont work

the doc had to give him a prostate exam that hurt bad

it hurts when he chews

and hes taking a shot in the ass to help with some sort of pain

and when he finally collapses, he keeps asking for his mistress... who, I guess knows whats going on

16 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

so whats everyones guess on what disease Ozawa has?

So far they have shown hes got those stupid ugly bruises on his face that need makeup to cover

his dick dont work

the doc had to give him a prostate exam that hurt bad

it hurts when he chews

and hes taking a shot in the ass to help with some sort of pain

and when he finally collapses, he keeps asking for his mistress... who, I guess knows whats going on

it seems he’s acquired an immune deficiency syndrome of some kind. 

Edited by futureman

Just now, Buzzrock said:

I didn’t realize this show is based on a real person. Duh. I’m impressed by any American who gets fluent enough in Japanese to acclimate and live there, much less go into investigative journalism. He would be fun to have a few beers with.

kinda yes, kinda no. he did go work over there but he’s allegedly full of shit and very little of any of it is even remotely true. at least that’s what I’ve read. @Sweetnsourpoke can weigh in. 

liver (based on admonition not to drink, facial lesion, and his belief that he can beat his illness)

next guess is Addison's disease.

wasn't this supposed to be a limited series? no way they end it that way without hopes of doing season 2

Spoke to a good friend of mine who has been at the Yomiuri for twenty years. While ‘Tokyo Vice’ isn’t yet available in Japan, people are certainly talking about it. Mainly about how a lot of Adelstein’s claims you have to take with a huge grain of salt. 

Good article in the Hollywood Reporter pretty much calling him out on some of the silliness 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tokyo-vice-problematic-source-material-1235135828/

• Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, naija said:

liver (based on admonition not to drink, facial lesion, and his belief that he can beat his illness)

next guess is Addison's disease.

wasn't this supposed to be a limited series? no way they end it that way without hopes of doing season 2

Spoiler

IRL, one or more Yakuza guys "bought' their way to the front of the line for liver transplants.  Adelstein broke the story.

Show trailed off at the end.  Like they decided halfway through to add an 2nd season.  

His trip is to LA to receive a liver transplant. 

Jake Adelstein is a weirdo self-promoter. This story needs Mann’s tight direction and it didn’t have it. Big meh on the whole thing. 

On 4/17/2022 at 11:33 PM, Sweetnsourpoke said:

One noticeable error in this series is that it's set in 1999 but there hasn't been one high school girl on the streets of Tokyo wearing buffalo socks with their uniforms. Every girl in T-town had these on. Very disappointed in this technical mistake. 

The 1st episode featured 2 popular club songs that weren't released for another 10 years.

• 4 months later...