2022 NCAA Tourney general discussion thread

shadow_operative

• shadow_operative changed the title to 2022 NCAA Tourney general discussion thread

who are you looking forward to watching in this tourney? if we beat VT then we'll likely play Purdue and get an up close and personal look at Jaden Ivey, who i think could be the most exciting player in the tourney. i could see him having a Ja Morant-like ascendency over the next 2-3 weeks should Purdue make a deep run. he's just that fun to watch.

8 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

In trying to plan my watching, I realized as a recent cord-cutter, that I don't have TruTV, TNT, or TBS.  Furk.

As a moron in general AND a poor, is there an easy way to stream these games for free?

Pay for a month of something like Youtube TV and then cancel after it's all over? 

A month of Sling Blue and your OTA CBS should get you all the games for a month for $45.  Otherwise, you'll be bouncing around different streams or need to borrow someone's log-ins. 

You're kinda screwed bc TBS has 2 of the Elite 8 games and the entire Final Four and champ game because it's an even number year. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Five mid-major Cinderella candidates who could bust your NCAA Tournament bracket

Scott Gleeson      USA TODAY

A mid-major Cinderella run is arguably the most exhilarating part of the NCAA Tournament. Small programs' upset wins transcend the tournament by busting brackets everywhere. 

The schools have become etched into men's college basketball lore over the years. Loyola Chicago in 2018. Florida Gulf Coast in 2013. Virginia Commonwealth in 2011. George Mason in 2006.

And the budding stars of each team also take the spotlight. It's how we first came to know Steph Curry when he piloted Davidson to the 2008 Elite Eight. Or CJ McCollum when he led little-engine-that-could Lehigh past blue-blood Duke in 2012. And it's where names like Ali Farokhmanesh haunt Kansas coach Bill Self in his sleep. 

Here's a look at five mid-major teams who could cause some major disruptions in the tournament.

Murray State

Consider the Racers (30-2) the anomaly of the bunch. The program plays like a power conference team and isn't seeded in the double-digits like some mid-majors. The Racers, who showcased Ja Morant in 2019, have been to the NCAA Tournament plenty over the years but never reached a Sweet 16. Coach Matt McMahon has a team that's athletic and dominant on the glass, ranking third nationally in rebounding margin. That's a byproduct of forward KJ Williams (18.2 ppg, 8.6 rpg), the centerpiece of this dynamic group that dominated the Ohio Valley Conference with a perfect 18-0 record. 

Loyola-Chicago

The program former coach Porter Moser helped build is still intact under successor Drew Valentine. The Ramblers (25-7) were the best team in the Missouri Valley this year and despite some hiccups, finished strong to claim the MVC’s auto bid. This team's strength comes with experience from a plethora of veterans, starting four seniors and a junior. Loyola shoots well from beyond the arc, ranking in the top-10 nationally in three-point field goal percentage.

South Dakota State

The Jackrabbits (30-4) have a dynamic offense that will be difficult to stop. They're second only to Gonzaga in scoring, averaging 86.7 points a game and lead the nation in three-point shooting percentage (45% from beyond the arc). Guard Baylor Scheierman (16.2 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 4.6 apg) is the catalyst for this group, which is prone to struggle on defense but can keep the tempo in its favor. This team is red-hot and romped through the Summit League, with its last loss coming in mid-December. 

Chattanooga

The Mocs (27-7) earned their ticket off a miracle buzzer-beater by David Jean-Baptiste that helped sink Furman in the Southern Conference championship.Malachi Smith (20.1 ppg), an explosive sophomore guard, has the skillset to become a March star.

Colgate

The veteran-laden Raiders (23-11), winners of the Patriot League, have a patient and well-balanced offense, with six players averaging around double-figures, led by senior guard Nelly Cummings (14.5 ppg). Coach Matt Langel has a team that plays with great poise and is highly efficient on offense – ranking second in the nation in three-point field goal percentage and eighth in assist-to-turnover ratio. 

• Hook 'Em 1

First Round TV Schedule

Thursday, March 17, 2022 TIME ET TV
(11)Michigan vs (6)Colorado State 12:15pm CBS
(13)South Dakota State vs (4) Providence 12:40pm truTV
(9)Memphis vs (8) Boise State 1:45pm truTV
(16)Norfolk State vs (1)Baylor 2:00pm TBS
(14)Longwood vs(3)Tennessee 2:45pm CBS
(12)Richmond vs (5)Iowa 3:10pm truTV
(16)Georgia State vs (1)Gonzaga 4:15pm TNT
(9)Marquette vs (8)North Carolina 4:30pm TBS
(12)New Mexico State vs (5)UConn 6:50pm TNT
(15)Saint Peter's vs (2)Kentucky 7:10pm CBS
(12)Indiana vs (5)St. Mary's 7:20pm TBS
(9)Creighton vs (8)San Diego State 7:27pm truTV
(13)Vermont vs (4)Arkansas 9:20pm TNT
(10)San Francisco vs (7)Murry State 9:40pm CBS
(13)Akron vs (4)UCLA 9:50pm TBS
(16)Texas Southern vs (1)Kansas 9:57pm truTV
Friday, March 18, 2022 TIME ET TV
(10)Loyola Chicago vs (7)Ohio State 12:15pm CBS
(15)Jacksonville State vs (2)Auburn 12:40pm truTV
(14)Montana State vs (3)Texas Tech 1:45pm TNT
(14)Yale vs (3)Purdue 2:00pm TBS
(15)Delaware vs (2)Villanova 2:45pm CBS
(10)Miami vs (7)USC 3:10pm truTV
TBA vs (6)Alabama 4:15pm TNT
(11)Virginia Tech vs (6)Texas 4:30pm TBS
(13)Chattanooga vs (4)Illinois 6:50pm TNT
(15)CSU Fullerton vs (2)Duke 7:10pm CBS
(11)Iowa State vs (6)LSU 7:20pm TBS
TBA vs (1)Arizona 7:27pm truTV
(12)UAB vs (5)Houston 9:20pm TNT
(10)Davidson vs (7)Michigan State 9:40pm CBS
(14)Colgate vs (3)Wisconsin 9:50pm TBS
(9)TCU vs (8)Seton Hall 9:57pm truTV
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, qwertyu1234 said:

I think this is the year that Gonzaga finally wins it all. And I see my Jayhawks bowing out in the s16. That’s all I got.

the number of people who've got Arizona winning is wild to me. Mark Few has spent 20 years trying to win a title and hasn't been able to do so, but one of his protégés is going to win it in his first ever season as a head coach? as great as they were during the season, i have a hard time seeing that happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the number of people who've got Arizona winning is wild to me. Mark Few has spent 20 years trying to win a title and hasn't been able to do so, but one of his protégés is going to win it in his first ever season as a head coach? as great as they were during the season, i have a hard time seeing that happen.

True but they have by far the easiest bracket I’ve seen in awhile. If they don’t at the least make the final 4 it will be a huge disappointment 

3 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

A silver lining for having covid for the first time is I get the entire week off and am completey isolated from my family. I'm contagious through Sunday night. 

It would be a shame if you had a "relapse" next weekend too. Maybe around the first sweet sixteen game on Thursday.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

In trying to plan my watching, I realized as a recent cord-cutter, that I don't have TruTV, TNT, or TBS.  Furk.

As a moron in general AND a poor, is there an easy way to stream these games for free?

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Pay for a month of something like Youtube TV and then cancel after it's all over? 

A month of Sling Blue and your OTA CBS should get you all the games for a month for $45.  Otherwise, you'll be bouncing around different streams or need to borrow someone's log-ins. 

You're kinda screwed bc TBS has 2 of the Elite 8 games and the entire Final Four and champ game because it's an even number year. 

I don't know if any streaming services do a "first month free" promo, but most of them offer a week or two. You could probably do a week of YouTubeTV, a week of Sling, and a week of Hulu for free.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I think it took Dean Smith 22 years to win his first title.