Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT

shadow_operative

I want the smoke. I want it early. I want all of it. Ramey is going to make Ivey's life hell. Brock is going to piss off everyone in a Purdue jersey plus their coach, fans and all their well wishers. Allen and AJ are going to find their spots and make plays. 

Let's do this. Hope Purdue fucks around and gets to find out. 

• Hook 'Em 8

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Oh - and Carr? Let's just say you always need an... ace in the hole. 

Carr was nails today. And he started off terribly. 

9 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Their center measures over 6 cubits 

Their defense is terribad. If we hold either their perimeter game or inside game in check, and shoot moderately well, we win. 

I was wrong on this conference and team being overrated. Let’s fucking go. 

not much for me to say that i haven't already said the past few days. Ivey is a superstar, and possibly the most exiting player in the tourney. he's going to get his 20+ points, so for us it's about making him take 18 FGA to get there. then Purdue has two elite rebounders in Williams and Edey. look at these numbers:

9C4E610E-0AD4-4A94-9D57-0F811C84DBE1.thumb.jpeg.86669d2ccc84e129f37ad1af9f2f1ae7.jpeg

this is purdue team that probably beats us 8 times out of 10, but hell, this is what March is all about. we will have to score with efficiency and take smart shots all day long in order to win on Sunday, but that's fine; that's what it takes at this time of year. either way, i am beyond pumped to once again be playing for an opportunity to go to the Sweet 16. Hook em! 🤘🏼 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

let's leave the aggy taint talk for a different forum. 

Not sure if you were privy to Horn80’s malapropism yesterday or earlier today. It was great. 

How you feeling about this matchup?  I had Purdue advancing to FF. They can’t play defense worth a shit. If we are efficient offensively, we win and I lose my bracket (good trade). What say you, Derk?

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

X,x,x,3,8

Your 5 wants to eat your 6 and 7, and not in the kind of way where you wanna Case McCoy the action. 

In short, you’re fucked up, and your shit’s all retarded. 

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Purdue is probably the worst matchups we can face - they have a massive post and rebounding advantage. But March is crazy so hook ‘em. 

On paper you’re right - Purdue is very offensively proficient. But this is a matchup that highlights why you want Beard. They are TERRIBLE defensively. If we shoot well we win, period. We will defend - I have that confidence in coach always. We will always be well coached particularly this time of year. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's as an ugly a 3/6 matchup that I can ever remember.  Not as ugly as the Boilermaker cheerleaders, but still.  

Panama Myers says fuck you Lobo. I got Purdue right here. 

38 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Not sure if you were privy to Horn80’s malapropism yesterday or earlier today. It was great. 

How you feeling about this matchup?  I had Purdue advancing to FF. They can’t play defense worth a shit. If we are efficient offensively, we win and I lose my bracket (good trade). What say you, Derk?

i hate this matchup. they were one of only a couple of potential second round matchups that i knew i would really hate going into selection sunday. when we drew them i was like, "fuck it, they can beat us by 20 and i won't care because that means we'll have beaten Va Tech." admittedly now that we've beaten VT i really really don't want to see us lose by 20, but i do hate the matchup. they have size, scoring, an an elite athlete as their best player. we'll need to play our best gone to beat them imo.

• Hook 'Em 1

i mentioned to my dad at half time, when AJ had already scored 17, "i don't think we've had a single player this year who's gone off in both halves of one game; if a guy gets 17 in one half he always gets five in the other half." i believe AJ had 4 in the 2H, and neither my dad nor i could remember an exception to that rule. if one of Carr/Ramey/Jones can somehow go off for two consecutive halves it will go a very long way towards a win. our offense is just going to have to be better then it normally is for us to win this game, and i don't see that happening via team offense or any of our forwards. we need one of our guards to have no conscience for 35+ minutes, barring a terrible day for Purdue's offense. 

Edited by shadow_operative

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i hate this matchup. they were one of only a couple of potential second round matchups that i knew i would really hate going into selection sunday. when we drew them i was like, "fuck it, they can beat us by 20 and i won't care because that means we'll have beaten Va Tech." admittedly now that we've beaten VT i really really don't want to see us lose by 20, but i do hate the matchup. they have size, scoring, an an elite athlete as their best player. we'll need to play our best gone to beat them imo.

Stop being a pussy. We will win. Or not. Enjoy the breakthrough without Shaka. Barnes is back, but better when we get the talent. I love you, you big fuckface. 

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i mentioned to my dad at half time, when AJ had already scored 17, "i don't think we've had a single player this year who's gone off in both halves of one game; if a guy gets 17 in one half he always gets five in the other half." i believe AJ had 4 in the 2H, and neither my dad nor i could remember an exception to that rule. if one of Carr/Ramey/Jones can somehow go off for two consecutive halves it will go a very long way towards a win. our offense is just going to have to be better then it normally is for us to win this game, and i don't see that happening via team offense or any of our forwards. we need one of our guards to have no conscience for 35+ minutes, barring a terrible day for Purdue's offense. 

A win would mean an offensive showcase. Good thing is, Purdue is bad defensively. 

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

First thought that crossed my mind when it was evident we would win tonight. Unfortunately they’ve got twin towers at 7’4” and 6’10” that are both scoring machines. And we have no really big men. 

-Standard Big 10 team that projects as having a lot of muscle but in reality defense is a secondary concern. 
-Ivey is a great talent. Elite talent. He dribbles faster than any CBB player runs. 1 -5 lotto pick. Must make him stay on the perimeter and beat you from 15 plus feet out. To the hole he does much damage. Poor decision maker. Get him in the air without a place to go and he'll do dumb things. 
- Edey is a midway display. At 7'4" you should pay tickets to see something this large. Nice touch around the rim and at the stripe. Not mobile but has improved his game overall. Simply because of his size he's a nightmare for any team and will be for us. 
- Stefanovic is the best pure shooter on the team, especially on the move. Painter loads up looks for him. Treats defense like it's a carcinogen. By far the worst defender on the team.
- Traveon Williams is the understated key to this team. A load around the rim. The best big man passer in college basketball. Just excels at seeing the entire floor. As much as you want to double him, don't. He'll kill you with the pass.
- Gillis and Hunter are nice supplements but Purdue really relies upon 4 players. 
- Overall, Purdue is very good - 40% from 3 and 70% from the stripe as a team. But, again, defense is an afterthought. Perimeter offense is the key for Texas. They won't be able to do alot around the rim, least not right at it. Texas guards have to be big in this game.
Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Wally Pryor said:

Perimeter offense is the key for Texas for Texas. They won't be able to do alot around the rim, least not right at it. Texas guards have to be big in this game.

This is our concern, dude.

AJ and Carr going off today helps.  But I feel like we're gonna need similar efficiency from them and a lot better than 2-8 from Ramey.

And since we're likely to get killed on the glass at both ends, we need to win the turnover battle by a lot.  

My head says we should lose by 7 to 10.  My heart says we've got another win in us.  

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

Your 5 wants to eat your 6 and 7, and not in the kind of way where you wanna Case McCoy the action. 

In short, you’re fucked up, and your shit’s all retarded. 

Somebody had to step up

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT