Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT

shadow_operative

11 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This is our concern, dude.

AJ and Carr going off today helps.  But I feel like we're gonna need similar efficiency from them and a lot better than 2-8 from Ramey.

And since we're likely to get killed on the glass at both ends, we need to win the turnover battle by a lot.  

My head says we should lose by 7 to 10.  My heart says we've got another win in us.  

Purdue doesn't defend the perimeter well. Ivey gambles alot is consistently out of position. Shots will be there for Jones, Ramey and Febres to win the game. Understandable that this is a concern. But there will be open shots on the perimeter. Converting on them is another issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

fwiw i originally had purdue losing to gonzaga in the FF (and then pussed out and decided to have them losing to kentucky instead). point being, that's how highly i think of purdue. their offensive Four Factors are for real, and that's something that i really value in Tourney games. it's one of the first places i look when a matchup seems too close to call. when a team's offense excels in the Four Factors, that's a sign that they're a tough out for anyone. Purdue is 4th in eFG% and 13th in OReb%. that's about as tough a combo as you can face. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, X

Is there some sort of mask mandate that can be applied here such that we don’t have to see this during the game?  I’m afraid our players are going to be distracted by this barnyard freak show.  Jeez 

• Haha 2

Can’t decide if Wisconsin fans will root for Texas or Purdue.  Part of me feels like they would root for their sister conference school because that’s “Midwest nice” then part of me thinks they would want Purdue to lose and them advance as well as root for the upset.

Iowa state fans ain’t rooting for us.  

#arenamagic

#Milwaukeebeermagic 

• Hook 'Em 1

this Texas tema is, by far, the best team i have ever seen at taking charges. Ivey is so athletic and creative that he has a tendency to get out of control at times. i would love nothing more than two charging fouls on Ivey before the U16 timeout. that's the dream right there. if he sits for long periods then i absolutely can see us going blow for blow with Purdue. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, shadow_operative said:

this Texas tema is, by far, the best team i have ever seen at taking charges. Ivey is so athletic and creative that he has a tendency to get out of control at times. i would love nothing more than two charging fouls on Ivey before the U16 timeout. that's the dream right there. if he sits for long periods then i absolutely can see us going blow for blow with Purdue. 

Good point. Ivey is a special talent but, as mentioned above, he's not especially smart.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT
2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i hate this matchup. they were one of only a couple of potential second round matchups that i knew i would really hate going into selection sunday. when we drew them i was like, "fuck it, they can beat us by 20 and i won't care because that means we'll have beaten Va Tech." admittedly now that we've beaten VT i really really don't want to see us lose by 20, but i do hate the matchup. they have size, scoring, an an elite athlete as their best player. we'll need to play our best gone to beat them imo.

Even more than that. We'll need for them to be off. If they play a B+ or A game we aren't winning unless we shoot insane numbers that we never have this season. 

Edited by Hermanator

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

fwiw i originally had purdue losing to gonzaga in the FF (and then pussed out and decided to have them losing to kentucky instead). point being, that's how highly i think of purdue. their offensive Four Factors are for real, and that's something that i really value in Tourney games. it's one of the first places i look when a matchup seems too close to call. when a team's offense excels in the Four Factors, that's a sign that they're a tough out for anyone. Purdue is 4th in eFG% and 13th in OReb%. that's about as tough a combo as you can face. 

I have them losing to Gonzaga in the FF. I hope we fuck up my bracket 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dont get me wrong, I’ll take him getting into early foul trouble. But i have confidence in our perimeter defenders. They’ve shown to be able to control to some degree good perimeter players (i.e. Agbaji, etc). I just feel its more important for our offensive success to get those bigs (Edey/Williams) into some foul trouble as well. Saw someone post that they dont play heavy minutes to begin with, but even less mins would be even more ideal imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Really bad defensive teams don’t have a great track record in the tournament.

11 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Ivey is a great talent. Elite talent. He dribbles faster than any CBB player runs. 1 -5 lotto pick.

His mom played basketball at Notre Dame and helped them win a national championship. She’s now their head coach. CBS Saturday Morning had a segment on them today. Oh, and they were also kind enough to include the buzzer-beater he made to beat the Buckeyes in Columbus. Thanks a lot for the reminder, CBS. Or Paramount or whatever.

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

His mom played basketball at Notre Dame and helped them win a national championship. She’s now their head coach. CBS Saturday Morning had a segment on them today. Oh, and they were also kind enough to include the buzzer-beater he made to beat the Buckeyes in Columbus. Thanks a lot for the reminder, CBS. Or Paramount or whatever.

He learned from a great PG in his mom.  Who also coached with the Memphis Grizzlies - during Ja Morant’s rookie season 

1 hour ago, MirrOlure said:

I can't believe that was 32 years ago. Gene Keady's post game meltdown, with his terrible rug/combover/wtf pounding the table and bitching about the god damn officials taking the game away from his kids who worked so hard was one of my all time sour grapes moments. I couldn't find it on YouTube but it's great. 

In addition to Beard putting it to Purdue on the regular in the tourney and the 1990 game, they got stuck with Fred Akers after he got shit canned here. Texas takes them out on Sunday and they're going to have Longhorn ptsd for years to come. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Great to see all of the champions of women in the NCAA transgender thread bringing up their daughters as reasons to be extra special concerned, then quickly turn around to call other women ugly for the sole crime of being a cheerleader.

What?

fans GIF

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I don’t want to sound crazy, but if we could somehow get past Purdue there is a path to elite 8 and final 4 with Kentucky and Baylor out. 

Yep. Purdue the clear favorite now. I’ve got them advancing in my pool but would gladly take that loss. I think if we somehow advance tomorrow, the EE matchup would be UNC-Texas. UNC is pretty much on fire right now and shouldn’t be an 8 seed. But we can beat them and Murray St. We just have a gargantuan task tomorrow. My drunk bluster from last night has faded. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Way to jinx it, dude!  

Oh god, somebody's checking the equipment room for black game jerseys, aren't they? 

No need all these Johnny Cash wannabe coaches can't seem to want to embrace the colors and bring the black. At least Beard has brought some smiles to us unlike Turtle Tom.

Yeah, I never liked 'em.  Just seems like there was a stretch there where we'd wear them for these marquee neutral site games and beat UNC in them and lose to Duke in them.  Holy shit, UNC is playing unbelievably good right now though.  I'm optimistic about the Purdue game though.  Because...they'll be wearing black.  And we shall smite them!