Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT

shadow_operative

48 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It’s not like he’s hopeless. He has a smooth stroke. He just has absolutely no confidence. Frankly he’s not a bad option as a backup point guard. He’s solid defensively. He doesn’t turn the ball over. I’m curious to see how he develops. 

I think this is definitely it for Askew.  You can tell that he is not looking for offense or to score when he has the ball, unless he has absolutely no choice. As soon as he touches the ball he's looking to pass or to dribble to pass.

Some how Beard has to get him to be a more selfish offensive, attacking player.  I think he has the skill set he just has to get over the mental hump.

• Hook 'Em 1

proud of the effort but the number of fouls versus the number for Purdue was terrible and the number of free throws was insane. BIG10 did not deserve 9 team in the dance and I feel refs were trying help the conference out some. it could be worse however frogs got screwed, did not realize take downs were legal in last two mins.

4 hours ago, sunset87 said:

I think this is definitely it for Askew.  You can tell that he is not looking for offense or to score when he has the ball, unless he has absolutely no choice. As soon as he touches the ball he's looking to pass or to dribble to pass.

Some how Beard has to get him to be a more selfish offensive, attacking player.  I think he has the skill set he just has to get over the mental hump.

I know he is technically only a Fsh since leaving HS early, but how was he a five star?

4 hours ago, sunset87 said:

It’s weird too because I sat there with my dad and watched him shoot like 85% during the open practice on Thursday 

Obviously easier to do with no one guarding you but he was shooting great 

5 hours ago, sunset87 said:

I’d like to think (hope) that he was deferring to his older, more experienced, teammates … to a detriment.

Remember, the average age of this team was 22 .. Askew won’t be 20 until July.  Still lots of room to grow.

44 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I know he is technically only a Fsh since leaving HS early, but how was he a five star?

He played at a Mater Dei high school in California so a pretty big time program.  I guess he left early to go to Kentucky.  His numbers for his Junior year in hs were pretty solid but nothing exceptional (16 ppg and about 6 apg).  He's smooth and a good athlete so I'm sure he projected quite well for the college level. 

It's all in his head.  He's afraid of making a mistake on offense which takes away aggression and confidence. That's why he is playing hot potato when he has the ball. I mean, mentally he just wasn't ready for the jump to big time D1 basketball.

The bigger question is, can he get past it.  I think he can, but if it takes him too long he's going to get passed up.  I'm betting Beard will be patient with him and it will pay off down the road.

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’d like to think (hope) that he was deferring to his older, more experienced, teammates … to a detriment.

Remember, the average age of this team was 22 .. Askew won’t be 20 until July.  Still lots of room to grow.

Yeah I don't know about that.  You see lots of freshman, first year guys, show up ready to go with no hesitation whatsoever.  He's still shell shocked on offense, it's pretty obvious by all the shots he passes up.

When and if it clicks with him, it will be easy to see.  And I definitely think he has time for that to happen.

Edited by sunset87

I think Askew is a career backup type.  His athleticism is pretty mediocre.  You can get away with not being a great athlete if you're a great baller, but he's, frankly, neither super athletic nor a great baller.  He doesn't have a good shot.  There's just no upside unless he improves dramatically in some area.  He's basically 20.  At this age, he's unlikely to improve athletically in some significant way.  Most people have shooting touch by now if they're going to get it.  Yes, you can develop it later in life, but, usually, you have it by now or you're not likely to ever have it. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, chitown bevo said:

proud of the effort but the number of fouls versus the number for Purdue was terrible and the number of free throws was insane. BIG10 did not deserve 9 team in the dance and I feel refs were trying help the conference out some. it could be worse however frogs got screwed, did not realize take downs were legal in last two mins.

Fuck the frogs

10 hours ago, RabidM said:

I think Askew is a career backup type.  His athleticism is pretty mediocre.  You can get away with not being a great athlete if you're a great baller, but he's, frankly, neither super athletic nor a great baller.  He doesn't have a good shot.  

This doesn't sound like the Devin Askew I've been watching.

21 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It's funny- I saw him take 1 three point shot all year with confidence.  Got passed out to him by a big, hit him in the chest, he had an opening, squared up, let it fly and hit the bottom of the net.  I was like- so- this guys stroke doesn't look awful, I wonder why he's so afraid to shoot.  It's tough. Maybe he's a terrible offensive player.  Maybe he can't shoot at all. But I don't think there is any way to tell with the timidity with which he plays. 

He was awful, despite his shooting percentage improvements over what he showed at Kentucky. Though his FT shooting plummeted.

21 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

It’s not like he’s hopeless. He has a smooth stroke. He just has absolutely no confidence. Frankly he’s not a bad option as a backup point guard. He’s solid defensively. He doesn’t turn the ball over. I’m curious to see how he develops. 

He TOV% increased despite his USG% decreasing. He was a TO machine in his limited duty. He's going to struggle because he's not shown to be a D1 athlete.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He was awful, despite his shooting percentage improvements over what he showed at Kentucky. Though his FT shooting plummeted.

Oh no doubt. Absolutely terrible offensive player. But how can you not be when you look terrified at the idea of shooting at all times and you aren’t TJ Ford level fast with the ball. 

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

And yet he could never get past any defender all season. Askew is a Ramey clone.

He's plenty athletic. He's shown a few glimpses of it during the season. He's just not playing with any aggression on offense, or at least very rarely.

15 hours ago, RabidM said:

I think Askew is a career backup type.  His athleticism is pretty mediocre.  You can get away with not being a great athlete if you're a great baller, but he's, frankly, neither super athletic nor a great baller.  He doesn't have a good shot.  There's just no upside unless he improves dramatically in some area.  He's basically 20.  At this age, he's unlikely to improve athletically in some significant way.  Most people have shooting touch by now if they're going to get it.  Yes, you can develop it later in life, but, usually, you have it by now or you're not likely to ever have it. 

Wut? That’s not even close