We Own this City HBO limited series by David Simon

Michael Knight

• Michael Knight changed the title to We Own this City HBO limited series by David Simon
22 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

He’s had a good career and probably been able to bank a few dollars. Hell his first name is Treat. I’m thinking he’s been busy laying pipe in a retirement community somewhere 

He is Godzilla, they are Japan!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Poot, too.  

Enjoyed it.  It was definitely the most Wire-like drama Simon has done  (obv - Baltimore cops).  But I mean from perspective of quasi-doc feel, like you are in the room of a real conversation between commissioner and the lead woman from the advocacy group, the background noises in the street during those scenes, etc.  Was definitely hitting a nostalgic itch.  Look forward to how it's executed from here on out...

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RPM said:

I've never watched The Wire (don't hate me) but this is fantastic.

I never watched The Wire until binging in late 2021.  It's one of my favorite shows of all time.  I'm down for this one.

And I somewhat agree with futureman on Season 2.  It's still good and an interesting look at life on the port, but I thought it was the lesser of all seasons. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm interested to see how Jamie Hector does as a cop.  I never saw Bosch.  But he did a great job playing such an evil piece of shit as Marlo Stanfield in The Wire.  Will start watching this weekend.

the casting in the wire was so good, and i point to marlo as a great example.  it is tempting in tv to always get the big personality for whatever role, but the cost is the feel of realism.  not everyone is mel gibson.  it was great to see this big leader seem like just another dude.

2 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

didnt recognize either.  who was donut in this one?

Community activist…Apparently close to his real life persona.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Much prefer limited series over entire seasons that just go on and on and on. Then get cancelled and leave you hanging.

Will watch.

Are all the eps out?

Three in, three to go. Mondays May 16/23/30 will wrap it up.

Also, Marla Daniels was the old lady who didn’t want to give info to Dukie/Marlo. I feel her lines were ripped straight from a convo that McNulty/Bunk/another old lady had in The Wire.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

the casting in the wire was so good, and i point to marlo as a great example.  it is tempting in tv to always get the big personality for whatever role, but the cost is the feel of realism.  not everyone is mel gibson.  it was great to see this big leader seem like just another dude.

The producers of The Wire made a deliberate attempt to cast a bunch of relative unknowns or actors who had only played bit parts up to then.  And that cast turned out to be phenomenal. 

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

The producers of The Wire made a deliberate attempt to cast a bunch of relative unknowns or actors who had only played bit parts up to then.  And that cast turned out to be phenomenal. 

I mentioned this on the Sopranos thread. It was one of the things that made that show groundbreaking.  Forego big names for character actors who do an amazing job.  

On 5/10/2022 at 8:47 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I’m sure the Baltimore tourism board loved David Simon

I lived in Baltimore for 7 years and consider The Wire to be a VERY optimistic take on Baltimore. At least it was written by somebody who clearly loves Baltimore notwithstanding how completely fucked up it is.

• Hook 'Em 1