Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across the Water, Honky Chateau

Rush - Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals

Pearl Jam - Ten, vs, Vitalogy 

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals

Police - Zenyatta Mondatta, Ghost in the Machine, Synchronicity 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You could pick any of their three 3-album runs and make the case.

Yeah you really can. My instinct objected at first to that 3 album stretch but I could see arguments for all 3 groupings. 

I just couldn't leave out Regatta. But if you really like Synchronicity then you have to cut it out.

I think Arcade Fire's first four albums qualify. I don't love Neon Bible but it was well received. The other 3 are all powerhouse. 

De Stijl, White Blood Cells and Elephant is strong to very strong for the White Stripes. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, DougO said:

How about a fiver, at least?

King's X -Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

King's X - Faith, Hope Love

King's X - King's X

King's X - Dogman

King's X - Ear Candy

My half brother was the engineer on the first 3.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

Van Halen - any sequence of 3 not including Diver Down or 3

Rush - good Lord, where do you stop? Any 3-album sequence from 2112 through Moving Pictures, and also Counterparts through Vapor Trails.

Duran Duran - Self-titled, Rio, Seven and the Ragged Tiger

AC/DC - they all sound the same so pick any 3, other than Ballbreaker which got Rubin'd to death

i could go on

• Hook 'Em 1

Cheap Trick:  Cheap Trick; In Color; Heaven Tonight; Dream Police.  (That's 4, but who's counting?  )

Beatles:  Pick any three other than Yellow Submarine, and it will be better than 99% of other artists. How about Yesterday and Today; Revolver; Sgt. Pepper?  Or Revolver; Sgt.Pepper; Magical Mystery Tour?  Or White Album; Abbey Road; Let It Be.

The Who:  Tommy; Who's Next; Quadrophenia

Bob Marley:  Catch A Fire; Burnin'; Natty Dread

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

If we're considering solo acts, we could argue for Paul Simon (if you count the last few Simon & Garfunkle albums as well) and even early Billy Joel.

But only one modern* artist has won three consecutive Grammys for Album Of The Year. To me, the incredible thing is that Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, and (my fav) Songs in the Key of Life) were all made across 4 years. Hell, Simon's first solo Grammy happened (according to him) because Stevie Wonder didn't put out an album in 1975.

*Sinatra did three in a row as well

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

My half brother was the engineer on the first 3 (produced the first 2).

For what it's worth, AllMusic lists two different people in those roles.  I only know because I had to dig into King's X background since I knew they were from Missouri (as am I), and learned that they moved to Houston, which I assume is where your brother connected with the band.

I saw them once.  They did not suck.  Not really my cup of tea, musically, but those dudes can play.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Van Halen - any sequence of 3 not including Diver Down or 3

Rush - good Lord, where do you stop? Any 3-album sequence from 2112 through Moving Pictures, and also Counterparts through Vapor Trails.

Duran Duran - Self-titled, Rio, Seven and the Ragged Tiger

AC/DC - they all sound the same so pick any 3, other than Ballbreaker which got Rubin'd to death

i could go on

WTF is your major malfunction? 

Gotta go way back. End with the last one Bon had something to do with

download (1).jpeg

images (1).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

images.png

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 4

Wilco -

You could probably pick any combination of their first 5 albums.  I'll go with: Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost is Born

Old 97s -

Wreck Your Life, Too Far to Care, Fight Songs

Spoon -

To be fair, they've made 9 consecutive great albums, but if I were to pick three, I'd go: Kill the Moonlight, Gimmie Fiction, Ga x5

Vampire Weekend -

I think all 4 of their albums are great, so really the question is start with their debut or Contra? I'd probably do the latter, so: Contra, Modern Vampires of the City, Father of the Bride

• Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Old 97s -

Wreck Your Life, Too Far to Care, Fight Songs

This is my playlist when I’m driving from North TX through East TX and across the top o’ the boot.  
Just a great soundtrack to move through just about part of the Great State, really…

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, slorch said:

Led Zeppelin with 8?

Van Halen- Diver Down, 1984, and 5150

Queen- A Night at the Opera, A Day at the Races, News of the World

Eagles - One of these nights, Hotel California, the Long Run.

James Taylor - James Taylor, Sweet Baby James, Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dylan-Bringing It All Back Home/Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde

Slayer- Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss

Public Enemy- Yo! Bum Rush the Show, It Takes a Nation of Millions…, Fear of a Black Planet

Sly and the Family Stone- Life, Stand, There’s A Riot Going On

Neil Young- Ditch Trilogy (Time Fades Away, On the the Beach, Tonight’s the Night)

Springsteen- Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, The River

Tears for Fears- The Hurting, Songs from the Big Chair, Seeds of Love

The Stooges- s/t, Fun House, Raw Power

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Vampire Weekend -

I think all 4 of their albums are great, so really the question is start with their debut or Contra? I'd probably do the latter, so: Contra, Modern Vampires of the City, Father of the Bride

Fuck this is a good one. Can't believe I missed them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thought of a few more - the first three Foo Fighters albums: Self-titled, The Colour and the Shape, There's Nothing Left to Lose

Also - Stone Temple Pilots - Core, Purple, Tiny Music

Another one where they have made 4 great albums, so really you just need to decide if you start with #1 or #2 - Turnpike Troubadours.

Tough call because so many great songs are on their debut, but I'd go with: Goodbye Normal Street, The Turnpike Troubadours, A Long Way from Your Heart

Edited by oSuJeff97

Sepultura:

Arise
Chaos AD
Roots

Faith No More:

The Real Thing
Angel Dust
King for a Day

Cavity (maybe 5 people on this site will be into them, noisy):

Somewhere between the Train Station and the Dumping Grounds
On The Lam
Supercollider

I really wanted to say Fugazi, but I don’t think either A Steady Diet of Nothing, nor End Hits are great. Very, very good, but not great.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

For what it's worth, AllMusic lists two different people in those roles.  I only know because I had to dig into King's X background since I knew they were from Missouri (as am I), and learned that they moved to Houston, which I assume is where your brother connected with the band.

I saw them once.  They did not suck.  Not really my cup of tea, musically, but those dudes can play.

Whoops.  Looks like he only had a producer credit on Faith Hope Love.  But sound engineer on those 3.  He owned Rampart Studios.  He also did a couple of The Judy's records. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Commodores: Commodores, Natural High, Midnight Magic

RATM: RATM, Evil Empire, Battle of Los Angeles

Parliament: Up for the Down Stroke, Chocolate City, Mothership Connection

EWF: EWF, Spirit, All ‘n All

Mana: Donde jugarán los niños, cuando Los Angeles lloran, sueños líquidos 

Kool & The Gang: those 4-5 albums between 1973-1981.

New Order: Low-Life, Pumped full of drugs, brotherhood

Bee Gees: main course, children of the world, spirits havin flown (still have the original 33). Yeah I said Bee Gees. Fight me.

Doobie Bros: takin it to the streets, livin on the fault line, minute by minute 

CCR: those 5-6 albums between 1968-70

… to name a few 

• Hook 'Em 7