Top 5 - Bands with 3 great consecutive albums

Rip76

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Agreed. Their run between With the Beatles through Let it Be is only tarnished by the orchestral b-side of the Yellow Submarine LP. Otherwise, aside from a few lame covers and misses here and there (I mean let's be honest, there's strong evidence of smelling their own farts on a few White Album tracks), their output was so damn solid. My 2022 goal is to play every guitar part (rhythm, lead, riffs, solos, whatever) on every Beatles song, in chronological order of release. I'm glad I'm doing it, because I can better understand how every release shows their growth, complexity, originality, and innovation compared to the previous ones. Chord progressions, song structures, guitar work, instrumentation, pacing -- it's really remarkable how fast they progressed and kept upping the quality. Day Tripper and A Day in the Life were written about 18 months apart, but it seems like different decades.

The Beatles didn’t have the road to grind them down, wear them out, and take their time from creating and innovating. 

I’m disappointed nobody had any comments for my Poison post upthread. 

guess I should have gone with slippery when wet, New Jersey, and whatever was before or after those. Or in between. 

i looked- keep the faith. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Queen:  A Night at the Opera; A Day at the Races; News of the World
AC/DC:  Powerage; Highway to Hell; Back in Black
Zep:  Lots of combo choices, including the first three right out of the gate, but personally I'd go with:  IV (a/k/a Runes, Zoso, etc.); Houses of the Holy; Physical Graffiti.

For AC/DC, I’d do HTH, BIB, and For Those About to Rock.

FTATR is vastly underrated. The title track, Inject the Venom, COD, Night of the Long Knives, Evil Walks, etc are as good as anything they’ve done.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I feel really, really bad for people who can’t appreciate and understand the pure rock fury of AC/DC (both eras). I don’t think I can be friends with them. Sad losers.

/csb

When I was 18 and in my senior year of high school my parents sent me to do this peer sobriety deal because I was smoking too much grass. One of the "counselors" or whatever there was really into DMB. Like went and saw tons of DMB shows. We went on this hiking trip to Colorado (that was actually a blast) and one night I'm shooting the shit with him and somehow ACDC comes up and he's like "ugh... ACDC is just ass rock". I maybe mildly objected to it at the time but didn't quite have enough hair on my peaches yet to tell him "hey, fucknuts, you love Dave Matthews Band - why don't you shut the fuck up and quit criticizing vastly superior rock outfits" which is probably close to what I would say today if I heard that bullshit from someone like that. 

Anyway - yeah, AC/DC fucks. And maybe they are ass rock. Idk. That would reflect well on ass rock. 

/csb
When I was 18 and in my senior year of high school my parents sent me to do this peer sobriety deal because I was smoking too much grass. One of the "counselors" or whatever there was really into DMB. Like went and saw tons of DMB shows. We went on this hiking trip to Colorado (that was actually a blast) and one night I'm shooting the shit with him and somehow ACDC comes up and he's like "ugh... ACDC is just ass rock". I maybe mildly objected to it at the time but didn't quite have enough hair on my peaches yet to tell him "hey, fucknuts, you love Dave Matthews Band - why don't you shut the fuck up and quit criticizing vastly superior rock outfits" which is probably close to what I would say today if I heard that bullshit from someone like that. 
Anyway - yeah, AC/DC fucks. And maybe they are ass rock. Idk. That would reflect well on ass rock. 

I mean if you don’t “get” this then you need to seriously re-examine yourself

• Hook 'Em 5

i generally like ac/dc.  they have a hell of a hit list and they definitely rocked hard.  made me at least want to try out an sg.  they are not a desert island band for me but when in the proper mood, the fit the bill and they do it well.  it isn't sophisticated but it just rocks.

what is interesting to me...and this is more of an observation than any type of criticism...is that in my opinion, they never evolved at all.  even with the various lineup changes.  starting with high voltage and all the way through whatever they most recently put out, you can tell it is ac/dc from neptune after one bar.  it's wild that they've endured that long and never changed even a little bit.

2002ish I hooked up with a Russian chick one night on 6th. She spoke limited english but from what I gathered she was in the country on a study abroad program. I had ridden downtown with my buddy so I said adios and she drove us back to my apartment in a shitty Mazda MX6. As we're rolling down Mopac she keeps asking, "You like patsmoke?" I'm thinking WTF is 'patsmoke', until she reaches under her seat and pulls out a bag with a scant amount of the most miserable-looking weed you've ever seen. I laughed and said hell yes I like 'patsmoke'. A few minutes later she asks, "You like Dave Matthews?" and pulls out a fucking DMB CD. Staring at this curvy, slightly Vic Mackey-ish but very cute Russian bird, I knew what had to be done. I said, "Fuck yeah I like Dave Matthews!!!" and she popped that CD in and we listened to fucking Ants Marching at high volume all the way back to my place on Pond Springs Rd.

We got home, I made a beer can pipe, we smoked that little bit of crappy weed, and then went toe-to-toe for 15 rounds like Rocky vs Ivan Drago.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

Black Sabbath: (2/70- 7/71. Unbelievable)

Black Sabbath

Paranoid

Master of Reality

Pantera:

Cowboys From Hell

Vulgar Display of Power

Far Beyond Driven

This man knows his metal.  And I haven't finished the thread, but I'll add Alice in Chains if it somehow hasn't been mentioned.  All of em.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, smuggs said:

2002ish I hooked up with a Russian chick one night on 6th. She spoke limited english but from what I gathered she was in the country on a study abroad program. I had ridden downtown with my buddy so I said adios and she drove us back to my apartment in a shitty Mazda MX6. As we're rolling down Mopac she keeps asking, "You like patsmoke?" I'm thinking WTF is 'patsmoke', until she reaches under her seat and pulls out a bag with a scant amount of the most miserable-looking weed you've ever seen. I laughed and said hell yes I like 'patsmoke'. A few minutes later she asks, "You like Dave Matthews?" and pulls out a fucking DMB CD. Staring at this curvy, slightly Vic Mackey-ish but very cute Russian bird, I knew what had to be done. I said, "Fuck yeah I like Dave Matthews!!!" and she popped that CD in and we listened to fucking Ants Marching at high volume all the way back to my place on Pond Springs Rd.

We got home, I made a beer can pipe, we smoked that little bit of crappy weed, and then went toe-to-toe for 15 rounds like Rocky vs Ivan Drago.

ed7b19571cf9255f6c5b9f5632bc84b7.gif

Iron Maiden:  Killers, Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son were all great to me.

Allman Brothers:  the Allman Brothers Band, Idlewild South, Live at Filmore East, Eat a Peach.

Yes:  the Yes Album, Fragile, Close to the Edge

Ice Cube: Amerikkka’s Most Wanted, Death Certificate, The Predator

Steely Dan: Countdown to Ecstacy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, the Royal Scam, Aja

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Beatles - St. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album

Elton John - Yellow Brick Road, Caribou, Captain Fantastic

Ween - Chocolate and Cheese, 12 Country Gold Hits, Mollusk 

Oasis - Definitely Maybe, What’s the Story, Be Here Now

Counting Crows - August and Everything After, Recovering Satellites, Desert Life, 

Radiohead - Bends, OK Computer, Kid A

Pink Floyd - Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals

I was late to AC/DC. When I was young it was mostly the Brian Johnson era early stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that. I just had a hard time listening to a whole album of it, and epically hearing the same damn two or three songs every time I went to shoot pool or whatnot. I liked it in small doses, but I got tired of it quickly. 

I never heard much of the Bon Scott stuff in my neighborhood back then. I didn't really start diving into their early stuff until about a decade ago when modern music was really dried up and in a terribly sad state that I just couldn't identify with, and I decided to just go back in time and give a deeper look to some bands I had never given enough attention. That's when I re-discovered the band and became a huge fan of the Bon era. I'm kinda glad I missed out on it earlier, because it really helped me get though shittier modern music times.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, yoladu said:

Hüsker Dü

• Zen Arcade (July 1984) - double album
  • New Day Rising (January 1985)
  • Flip Your Wig (September 1985)

14 month time period. Unreal.

New Day Rising is such a damn fantastic album and Husker Du is bad ass.  Bob Mould knows how to write a song in all of his other incarnations as well but really enjoyed Grant Hart too.  I kick myself for never seeing him play at some small dives.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of great albums on y'alls list already but would add:

Bowie: way too many but Hunky Dory--Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust--Aladdin Sane
Janes Addiction: Janes Addiction--Nothing's Shocking--Ritual de lo Habitual
Velvet Underground: Velvet Underground & Nico--White Light White Heat--Velvet Underground--Loaded
Cat Stevens: Mona Bona Jakon--Tea for the Tillerman--Teaser and the Firecat--Catch Bull at Four
Pretenders: Pretenders--Pretenders II--Learning to Crawl

Others include English Beat, Bad Brains, Paul Simon, Kate Bush, and Kings of Leon 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, sidis said:

i generally like ac/dc.  they have a hell of a hit list and they definitely rocked hard.  made me at least want to try out an sg.  they are not a desert island band for me but when in the proper mood, the fit the bill and they do it well.  it isn't sophisticated but it just rocks.

what is interesting to me...and this is more of an observation than any type of criticism...is that in my opinion, they never evolved at all.  even with the various lineup changes.  starting with high voltage and all the way through whatever they most recently put out, you can tell it is ac/dc from neptune after one bar.  it's wild that they've endured that long and never changed even a little bit.

The story goes something like this:

Journalist interviewing AC/DC: "How do you respond to critics that say you've basically released the same album 4 times in a row?"

AC/DC: "I think we're up to 7 at this point."

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a "Back In Black" man, almost as much for the recording and production as anything else.  It's just a stellar sounding album.

I worked my way back into the Bon Scott stuff from there, and it's great, no doubt, but the things Mutt Lange got out of them on BiB are stunning.  Crystal clear, punchy as hell.

Yes, ass rock.  In the best way.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/23/2022 at 9:47 PM, tbone_ said:

Totally agree on ftatr

yep, the only problem with FTATR is that it isn't Back in Black.    it kinda sucks they don't play any of those songs live, besides the title track.  they are some great songs. 

Stones - 4 album run of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile is still the best 4 album run of all time, pick the 3 on either side.

Journey - Infinity, Evolution, Departure, Escape is a very solid 4 as well.  I'd lean to first 3 but could go with last 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Def Leppard's first 3 albums where a great run: On Through the Night, High n Dry, Pyromania. 

I would pay good money to see a concert with songs from just these 3 albums(as long as they played all of HnD subbing me and my wine for mirror mirror)

• Hook 'Em 1

It's been mentioned but Radiohead's run from The Bends to Kid A is pretty phenomenal. Wilco and Old 97's are a great call, as is R.E.M.'s first five albums.

The Pixies's three album start -- Surfer Rosa, Doolittle and Bossanova is strong. Also, I'm not sure how you break it all up but The Smiths had their self-titled debut and followed with Hatful of Hollow, Meat is Murder, The Queen is Dead and Louder Than Bombs all in succession.

1 hour ago, yoladu said:

but, i would still offer respect if someone argued this:

• Daydream Nation
  • Goo
  • Dirty

That would be my 3.  I'm a little inclined towards "pop" (ha) Sonic Youth.  Plus, I'm inclined towards Kim Gordon, except maybe not now, as she's aged about as well as I have.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm a "Back In Black" man, almost as much for the recording and production as anything else.  It's just a stellar sounding album.
I worked my way back into the Bon Scott stuff from there, and it's great, no doubt, but the things Mutt Lange got out of them on BiB are stunning.  Crystal clear, punchy as hell.
Yes, ass rock.  In the best way.

It’s insanely well recorded. Everyone should throw it on some good headphones from time to time and just marvel at the quality. The tones coming out of those guitars sound like God.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not sure if this has been touched on:

Wilco -- Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Yeah that's the correct one. Someone tried to do it with A Ghost Is Born and that gets an immediate axe from me.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

The Pixies's

Two of you motherfuckers in one week. 

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that's the correct one. Someone tried to do it with A Ghost Is Born and that gets an immediate axe from me.

Two of you motherfuckers in one week. 

I need to fire my copy editor.

Also, I like A Ghost is Born quite a bit.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I need to fire my copy editor.

Also, I like A Ghost is Born quite a bit.

I'm mainly fucking with you and making fun of people that care about it. I totally call them the pixies. It's not our fault they fucked up their band name. 

AGIB is fine - just not a great album for me. 

On 3/23/2022 at 5:47 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Queen:  A Night at the Opera; A Day at the Races; News of the World

AC/DC:  Powerage; Highway to Hell; Back in Black

Zep:  Lots of combo choices, including the first three right out of the gate, but personally I'd go with:  IV (a/k/a Runes, Zoso, etc.); Houses of the Holy; Physical Graffiti.

yeah, zeppelin is just a different planet from any other hard rock band from start to finish.  8 studio albums and 1 live and every one is at least triple platinum and 4 are diamond.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/22/2022 at 6:18 PM, Deej said:

Are You Experienced (1967), Axis: Bold as Love (1967), Electric Ladyland (1968).

decent 17 months, there.

jimi hendrix GIF

God to guys starting up new band - "OK dudes, you get to make 3 albums and 3 albums only and then you are done.  see if you can make the Surly 3 great album in a row thread.  good luck."