Top 5 - Bands with 3 great consecutive albums

Rip76

31 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. Ass rock in the sense that it’s what’s blasting on your Camaro’s Pioneer deck when you’re 16-19 and you’re plowing some ass on the hood after downing a sixer of Ice cold beer and smoking some skunk weed. The best times.

You left out the Pioneer rear-deck 6x9 coaxials.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 9:36 PM, CooterBrown said:

For AC/DC, I’d do HTH, BIB, and For Those About to Rock.

FTATR is vastly underrated. The title track, Inject the Venom, COD, Night of the Long Knives, Evil Walks, etc are as good as anything they’ve done.

For me,  Spellbound is a top 2 AC/DC slow jam after Ride On.  I know everyone loves The Jack, which has some great Scott lyrics, but I like Johnsons vocals on Spellbound better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Yep. Ass rock in the sense that it’s what’s blasting on your Camaro’s Pioneer deck when you’re 16-19 and you’re plowing some ass on the hood after downing a sixer of Ice cold beer and smoking some skunk weed. The best times.

images (3).jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/23/2022 at 6:27 PM, honolulu horn said:

I still love Love and Electric, but Sonic Temple was a disappointment to me. It took away their gritty sleaze and produced them into mainstream airplay. 

Did it really though? They didn't have that much commercial success after Sonic Temple.   

And I saw that when two of my favorite songs by the band are The Witch and Coming Down.   

Sonic Temple tour show in Austin was bad ass. It was the most thumping bass I ever felt in my life, resonated through my entire body without being distorted or sounding shitty or too loud. 

Edited by DougO

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

Sonic Temple tour show in Austin was bad ass. It was the most thumping bass I ever felt in my life, resonated through my entire body without being distorted or sounding shitty or too loud. 

Shades of Sonic Youth's "Goo" tour @ Liberty Lunch.  They brought in their own PA and engineer.  The low end was massive.  Never seemed too loud.  I probably have spleen cancer or something like that at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I'm a "Back In Black" man, almost as much for the recording and production as anything else.  It's just a stellar sounding album.

I worked my way back into the Bon Scott stuff from there, and it's great, no doubt, but the things Mutt Lange got out of them on BiB are stunning.  Crystal clear, punchy as hell.

Yes, ass rock.  In the best way.

Back in Black is great because Bon wrote at least half of it. Brian did a great job with that album,  but that's the only way he can sing. All the wittiness and originality in the writing died on 2/19/80. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Back in Black is great because Bon wrote at least half of it. Brian did a great job with that album,  but that's the only way he can sing. All the wittiness and originality in the writing died on 2/19/80. 

He definitely had more range right before joining AC/DC. No idea why he never sang like this again but, whatever, they made like a billion plus dollars doing what he did.

I notice that no one has reeled off three from The Foo Fighters or Coldplay yet. 

As for The Old 97s, basically every album of theirs was good until I left the country (2007) and I stopped paying attention. I liked Rhett’s solo stuff too, but I think pretty much all of his stuff is good. 

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I notice that no one has reeled off three from The Foo Fighters or Coldplay yet. 

As for The Old 97s, basically every album of theirs was good until I left the country (2007) and I stopped paying attention. I liked Rhett’s solo stuff too, but I think pretty much all of his stuff is good. 

the foo fighters is interesting.   I'd actually probably go with the first 3(the first album is truly amazing for what it is, its all Dave and  one year before he was the "drummer in Nirvana")or colour and shape, nothing left to lose, one by one.  I can't see any 3 that doesn't include colour and shape.

wasting light is phenomenal but you can't put a 3 album run around it.

Probably because Coldplay sucks.
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

When criticized during an interview that their entire catalog was built off of a single riff. Malcolm Young's response was, “Yeah, but it is a great fucking riff”.. 

I’m to lazy to verify that interview, because I want it to be true…

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wut?

I missed the comma. just one year before he released the first album, he was just the "drummer in Nirvana".  my point was that its a great album IMO and came out of nowhere from the drummer in Nirvana.

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

I missed the comma. just one year before he released the first album, he was just the "drummer in Nirvana".  my point was that its a great album IMO and came out of nowhere from the drummer in Nirvana.

Got it.  I thought maybe you typed "before" instead of "after".  Same result.

It is all Dave, except for one guitar part (Greg Dulli).

From 1968 to 1972, the Moody Blues released six albums and there wasn’t a stinker in the whole lot:

In Search of The Lost Chord

To Our Children’s Children’s Children

On The Threshold of a Dream

A Question of Balance

Every Good Boy Deserves  Favour (EGBBF…the notes on the treble clef)

Seventh Sojourn 

I didn’t include Days of Future Passed released in 1967 because the tune Nights in White Satin….never reaching the end….was 7 excruciating minutes of never reaching the end for me.  And the song is Nights in White Satin and not Knights in White Satin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 4:16 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

From 1968 to 1972, the Moody Blues released six albums and there wasn’t a stinker in the whole lot:

A Question of Balance

Seventh Sojourn 

I didn’t include Days of Future Passed released in 1967 because the tune Nights in White Satin….never reaching the end….was 7 excruciating minutes of never reaching the end for me.  And the song is Nights in White Satin and not Knights in White Satin.

This.   Great choice.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:16 PM, Harrison Stafford said:

A Question of Balance

Seventh Sojourn 

All true about the quality of their music, but Nights in white satin/never reaching the end is one of THE quintessential 60's pieces of music ever recorded. Having grown up during those years, when I hear it, the 60's flood into my memory like from almost no other source.  And it's not even in my list of top 10 Moody Blues songs, let alone all time 60's favorites.  

Free bird could maybe be my equivalent of your sentiments regarding nights in white satin.

• Hook 'Em 2

There are a half dozen super popular classic bands that make me almost wretch every time I hear them, and Moody Blues is near the top of the list.  I just don't get it, at all.  The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane, I could go on.  I guess it's mostly the psych era that turns me off.

I mean, I'm glad they work for some people, it's a big world out there, but damn.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

All true about the quality of their music, but Nights in white satin/never reaching the end is one of THE quintessential 60's pieces of music ever recorded. Having grown up during those years, when I hear it, the 60's flood into my memory like from almost no other source.  And it's not even in my list of top 10 Moody Blues songs, let alone all time 60's favorites.  

Free bird could maybe be my equivalent of your sentiments regarding nights in white satin.

I found Nights in White Satin tedious,  awash in non-rock qualities, and better suited for airplay on an easy listening radio station.  Having said that, as someone else who grew up in the 60s, I’m aware my sentiments are in the minority.

8 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I found Nights in White Satin tedious,  awash in non-rock qualities, and better suited for airplay on an easy listening radio station.  Having said that, as someone else who grew up in the 60s, I’m aware my sentiments are in the minority.

I can see the easy listening comment based on sound, but the overall composition is classic 60's, rock/symphony orchestra collaboration (IMO). It does get very "pretty". It's all personal taste of course.  There's plenty of rock music you could hear on an easy listing station, and it would still be rock.

I don't think you're in the minority. I think the Moody Blues are one of those bands people dug or didn't, and basically for the general reasons you listed above. 

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There are a half dozen super popular classic bands that make me almost wretch every time I hear them, and Moody Blues is near the top of the list.  I just don't get it, at all.  The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Starship, I could go on.  I guess it's mostly the psych era that turns me off.

I mean, I'm glad they work for some people, it's a big world out there, but damn.

Damn you list some of the seminal bands of the classic rock era.  Please don't go on.

Jefferson Starship (fuck no). Jefferson Airplane ?  Hell yeah, they're rock, and roll big boys.  Again, all personal taste so no wrong answers really.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Damn you list some of the seminal bands of the classic rock era.  Please don't go on.

Jefferson Starship (fuck no). Jefferson Airplane ?  Hell yeah, they're rock, and roll big boys.  Again, all personal taste so no wrong answers really.

Sorry, I meant Jefferson Airplane.  Can't stand 'em.

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There are a half dozen super popular classic bands that make me almost wretch every time I hear them, and Moody Blues is near the top of the list.  I just don't get it, at all.  The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Starship, I could go on.  I guess it's mostly the psych era that turns me off.

You know you're alright.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Sorry, I meant Jefferson Airplane.  Can't stand 'em.

I don't hate them but holy shit if White Rabbit isn't one of the most overused songs in media ever. Everytime I hear it - whether it's the original or some edgy cover - I just think - oh wow, so fucking original. Really crate digging for that one.

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

How long have you been an Air Supply groupie?…… Okay, that was probably a little harsh.

Edited by Harrison Stafford
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Police:  Outlandos; Regatta; Zenyatta

Dylan:  Bringing It All Back Home; Hwy 61 Revisited; Blonde on Blonde.  I'm not a huge Dylan fan, but those albums were enormously influential.

Stooges:  Stooges; Fun House; Raw Power.  

The Dylan albums are my wheelhouse along with blood on the tracks.

For sure on the police trifecta.

never been a huge stooges fan unless curly was in the lineup on screen or onstage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1