Texas Basketball '22-'23: Title TBD

MuellerHorn

I figured I'd go ahead and start this thread, especially since we are discussing the roster for this season on the '21-'22 thread currently.

Speaking of which, this guy hit the transfer portal last week: https://utamavs.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/kaodirichi-akobundu-ehiogu/8363

Not a polished offensive player at all, but decent from the line and is very athletic. Ogden would know him as well.

Additionally, everyone but Febres (1) and Licon (2) can return if they (and Beard) desire.

Cunningham (3) is not expected to return. I would doubt that Ramey returns. AJ1, Carr, and Timmy Allen are murky. They may choose to begin their professional careers - wherever those may take place (let's add scholarships (4) & (5) from those four). I highly doubt Mitchell (6) returns. Who knows on Avery Benson, but that's scholarship (7).

Beard is going to have a lot of optionality in the portal with only (currently) three incoming scholarships from that likely pool of six-plus spots.

Edited by MuellerHorn

I'm fine with whoever wants to run it back staying another year as long as we have room to get two guys in the portal who are at least 6'8" who can rebound and defend an opposing big man.  If AJ, Carr, and/or Ramey move on, we will need a guy who can sink an open three better than 33% of the time.  I'd love a fast 6'10-6'11 guy who can run and block/alter shots.

Beard did a good job this year with a patchwork team of mercenaries and holdovers.  He knows where the weakness were this year and hopefully addresses them without having to completely rebuild a roster from scratch again.