2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

@GringoSalado  It is not like they are not interconnected.  Our inability to sustain drives, exhausts our own defense is a problem.   On paper, the keys to fix this are there now.   The defense though.... It doesn't seem like such an easy fix  

Pretty good take.   We make a few more sustained 2nd half drives this year and our defense magically will be middle of the pack.   Actual defensive continuity and improvement will put them in the top 30 or so.  
Complementary football is a real thing.  

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

Pretty good take.   We make a few more sustained 2nd half drives this year and our defense magically will be middle of the pack.   Actual defensive continuity and improvement will put them in the top 30 or so.  
Complementary football is a real thing.  

I don't disagree but OTOH a non-regarded Defense last year and we win 8 or 9 games.

Edited by GringoSalado
derp
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

I don't disagree but OTOH a non-regarded Defense last year and we win 8 or 9 games.

Being able to pick off or just break up 3 desperation heaves would’ve turned 5-7 into 7-5. On offense, Joshua Moore not being a point shaving dumbass could’ve turned Baylor into a W, so there’s 8.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I heard three of our freshmen OL were looking awesome and the rest look pretty good too. Flood believes this group is better than any starting five he had at Bama. Texas is set on the OL and looking forward to three years of dominant play.

Edited by Reese Bennett
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

I’d like some summer reports of at least 3 of our Freshman O-Linemen looking awesome (don’t care if reports are fictional or not). 

word on the street is that kelvin banks is 6’6” 320 and chiseled, 12% body fat.  clocked at 4.8 in the forty and is demolishing everyone in front of him.  will anderson projects to have zero tackles when we play bama. 

• Haha 1

Just now, oldhorn2 said:

Hell....I heard that Williams has "chiseled" down to under 360. I am now a bit concerned that this new development will make it easier to walk around him....

Oh no… I bet his arms are six inches shorter now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

maybe this will help...

A couple of practice notes from TFB . . . . 

Devon Campbell brought his lunch pale to Austin with him. He's really impressing. He is the fastest OL we have, true athlete. Both he and Banks are standing out with their athleticism, which Texas has not had in years.

Cam Williams has been working over the summer. He is down below 360 now.

Connor Robertson, TFB says, will one day take over the center position. When he does, he'll be the most athletic center we've had in a while. Needs to spend more time in the weight room though.

Encouraging feedback on Cole Hutson and Hayden Connor. Connor will see lots of PT this season. Hutson is now almost 6'5 and 320 lbs.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/30/2022 at 9:56 AM, Vertigo said:

It may take a couple of weeks into the season, but when it starts to click for Banks, Campbell, Williams, and Hutson, this is going to look like a different football team. We will have an honest 2 deep with real competition and upgrades along the line. 

This is literally said every year during the off-season. Then the lights go on and they show their youth and everyone says "what did you expect, they're young and going to make mistakes"

I'm way out on the ledge at this point. This will be the most disappointing season in forever given the momentum happening on the recruiting front and watching it all implode while defensive  players run around completely fucking lost and our offense gets outscored in the second half 371-21.

Happy 4th though!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This is literally said every year during the off-season. Then the lights go on and they show their youth and everyone says "what did you expect, they're young and going to make mistakes"

I'm way out on the ledge at this point. This will be the most disappointing season in forever given the momentum happening on the recruiting front and watching it all implode while defensive  players run around completely fucking lost and our offense gets outscored in the second half 371-21.

Happy 4th though!

Freedom.

In other countries, this type of truth is still punishable by death...

And I'm feeling real close to dead after reading this.

1 hour ago, Slacks said:

Freedom.

In other countries, this type of truth is still punishable by death...

And I'm feeling real close to dead after reading this.

Good coaches get their teams to improve throughout the season. You saw the train wreck last year. It is what it is. Sark will be trying to find a new DC at the end of the year to save his job. It won't work. This nightmare doesn't ever end.

Drink the shitwater.

• Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Good coaches get their teams to improve throughout the season. You saw the train wreck last year. It is what it is. Sark will be trying to find a new DC at the end of the year to save his job. It won't work. This nightmare doesn't ever end.

Drink the shitwater.

Stab me in my eye again. Go ahead. I'm numb.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I believe Cole Hutson is going to be very good, based solely on the fact he has an ample sized noggin. 

csb I was in line at Iron Works behind freshman Colt, the Roomate, and their dads and I remarked to my lunchmates later "Holy shit that dude is, like, smaller than I am. We might be fucked at QB."

/csb

I don't disown my stupidity.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

csb I was in line at Iron Works behind freshman Colt, the Roomate, and their dads and I remarked to my lunchmates later "Holy shit that dude is, like, smaller than I am. We might be fucked at QB."
/csb

I don't disown my stupidity.

Or, cant wait to see what Jevan Sneed can do. This guy looks like a career backup and will probably be recruited over by John Chiles.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Happy 4th though!

In the past we were banking on guys like Derek Kerstetter, Cedric Flowers, Alex De La Torre, and Patrick Vahe hitting. Not the top ranked OLine class in the country with 5 star Kelvin Banks and 5 Star Devon Campbell leading the way. These guys will be different.

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

In the past we were banking on guys like Derek Kerstetter, Cedric Flowers, Alex De La Torre, and Patrick Vahe hitting. Not the top ranked OLine class in the country with 5 star Kelvin Banks and 5 Star Devon Campbell leading the way. These guys will be different.

Huh? He was an LB/ FB

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

You're banking on freshman OL to be strengths of the team. Don't do that. If they play they're going to look like freshman.

Let's just hope for the first time in God knows how many years we see players actually improve their play.

• Like 1

You're banking on freshman OL to be strengths of the team. Don't do that. If they play they're going to look like freshman.
Let's just hope for the first time in God knows how many years we see players actually improve their play.

Do they have the ability to touch a pass rusher? If so, it will be an improvement.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No way elite true freshmen can be worse than that shit we rolled out last year. Maybe early they’re struggle 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

No way elite true freshmen can be worse than that shit we rolled out last year. Maybe early they’re struggle 

Banking on freshman OL to be game changers ("we'll be a whole different team!!!!!") Is absurd wishcasting.

Don't do it.

Just watch the games and hope you see a group of players getting better. If that happens, we'll be fine.

But there isn't really anything to point to and confidently say it should happen though.

Drink the shitwater.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Improved OL play will be an impossibly low bar not to cross.  You literally would have to start digging now to get a big enough hole under the ground to limbo under that fucker.

I would set the over/under at 6.5 wins this season.  I think 8-4 is possible but probably on the top end.

5 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I would set the over/under at 6.5 wins this season.  I think 8-4 is possible but probably on the top end.

we’re gonna win a lot more than that.  8-4 in sark’s second year if casey thompson is starting and everything else is equal.  now we’ve got the best quarterback in the country.  over/under is 1.5 wins in the playoff. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Banking on freshman OL to be game changers ("we'll be a whole different team!!!!!") Is absurd wishcasting.

Don't do it.

Just watch the games and hope you see a group of players getting better. If that happens, we'll be fine.

But there isn't really anything to point to and confidently say it should happen though.

Drink the shitwater.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

1 hour ago, futureman said:

we’re gonna win a lot more than that.  8-4 in sark’s second year if casey thompson is starting and everything else is equal.  now we’ve got the best quarterback in the country.  over/under is 1.5 wins in the playoff. 

Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

Improved OL play will be an impossibly low bar not to cross.  You literally would have to start digging now to get a big enough hole under the ground to limbo under that fucker.

1.) No, it really wouldn’t be. The unit’s best player (by far) From last year is gone. A true freshman will be starting at LT and the same guys that were liabilities at times last year, or couldn’t play in front of other liabilities are back. The alternatives are true freshman.

It’s not crazy to think returning guys should be better with an extra year of experience. And it’s not crazy to think Kelvin Banks could grade out better at LT than Christian Jones did last year. But overall, given the inputs, even mild improvement from last year would be significant progress and an actual plus OL would be a borderline miracle.

2.) That said, generally agree. The offense should be better but probably will still be inconsistent. There’s no compelling reason to think the defense is going to be significantly better. 6-6 to 8-4 feels like the 51%-plus probability range to me.

Just field a fucking team tht improves each week. That's it.

This is pretty much an unattainable standard. No defined metrics to prove that there was improvement each week.

In 1998 and 2008, no way we lose to Tech if we’re improving each week. No way we play so crappy versus A&M in ‘05 by that same standard. We don’t need a minor miracle to beat ‘09 Nebraska if we improved from previous weeks.

Wins and losses is the standard. Then when the season is over each person can evaluate their level of satisfaction of the season based on how many wins we got.

Too many people go on “feel” about this stuff. Last years run blocking Oline was the best we’ve had in some time. They were inconsistent and less skilled in pass pro. Kerstetter was our best pass blocker but was just an average run blocker. Four guys return with significant experience all of whom have played well at times. Then you have the freshmen class and a massive returning second year player. You need about 8 guys that can produce. We have more options than we’ve had in probably 15 years. That said, they have to produce.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Had Enough said:

This is pretty much an unattainable standard. No defined metrics to prove that there was improvement each week.

In 1998 and 2008, no way we lose to Tech if we’re improving each week. No way we play so crappy versus A&M in ‘05 by that same standard. We don’t need a minor miracle to beat ‘09 Nebraska if we improved from previous weeks.

Why on earth would you compare the program in those years to now? We're in the basement right now, pretty much as bad and broken as a program of this calibre can be. We aren't going to look like some well-oiled machine that occasionally plays down to its competition but finds a way to win.

These guys don't even know how to win. They don't know how to play a consistent 4 quarters of football. All I'm saying is let's take baby steps throughout the season to start the rebuilding process. 

I absolutely think you should expect to see improvement throughout the year if we can do that.

30 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

All I'm saying is let's take baby steps throughout the season to start the rebuilding process.  I absolutely think you should expect to see improvement throughout the year if we can do that.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic