2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I saw Ewers out last night. He's bigger than I thought. I kind of thought he might be closer to 6'1" but he is definitely not.

Also spoke briefly to Dennis Quaid a few minutes before but that's neither here nor there. 

I got the impression that if he wasn’t 6’3, then he was definitely close enough to it to be listed it in college. He’s a pretty big dude.

53 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I saw Ewers out last night. He's bigger than I thought. I kind of thought he might be closer to 6'1" but he is definitely not.

Also spoke briefly to Dennis Quaid a few minutes before but that's neither here nor there. 

Which strip club was this and can Dennis Quaid still inhale legendary amounts of coke?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlamoHorn210 said:

Got to meet Dennis Quaid at a Navy event in Oahu while he was filming Midway and he was 110% coked out of his mind

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

Quaid has done OK over the years: P.J. Soles, Andie MacDowell, original Meg Ryan, Lea Thompson, and assorted other models and non-famous hot chicks.

200.gif

4 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

Quaid has done OK over the years: P.J. Soles, Andie MacDowell, original Meg Ryan, Lea Thompson, and assorted other models and non-famous hot chicks.

Latest wife... supposedly attended McCombs School of Business where she was working on her Ph.D. in accounting. 

Edited by LTtxfan

Article...

Aaron Murray would have thrived in the NIL era.

The former Georgia quarterback was a five-star passer in the 2009 class out of Tampa (Fla.) Plant High School. After a successful college run, Murray enjoyed a seven year professional career before turning his attention to helping others thrive in the new frontier of Name, Image and Likeness.

Murray and several other Georgia alums started an initiative called The Players Lounge. Starting as a way for Georgia players and fans to connect through unique events, the group expanded to several other schools including LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas.

“It was four of us former alumni at Georgia, and we came together and we were just thinking about it,” Murray said. “Actually, my buddy approached me with one way for us to make an impact with our players at NIL, which was hopefully going to be a positive thing for the players and for fans. The fans that we got to interact with during our time in Athens at the University of Georgia, those relationships that we built were some of the ones that we leaned on once our playing careers were over.

"Whether it was right after college, or you know, some of us were in the NFL for a little bit. As we all know, you have to hang it up at some point. Some of the first people that I called, or some of the people that I got to know in the business world, when I was at Georgia. We thought why don't we find a way for these players to interact and create these relationships, build their brand in an authentic way that also gives them the ability to to make some money because NIL is such a big deal.

"So that’s the whole goal of the project, building a community which gives access to the fans, you know, that whole web 3.0 mentality of direct to consumer. You get that information directly from the source. You get to connect directly with the person. We've had a lot of success.”

Through unique fan-to-player experiences, The Players Lounge is able to connect people with athletes and raise some money for those athletes. It started with some golf tournaments and tailgates, and it’s grown into bigger events from there.

“We've done golf tournaments. We've done some events with fraternity members at the University of Georgia’s campus,” Murray said. “We've done a tailgate before the spring game and we’ve got another tailgate coming before the game versus Oregon. We did a really cool experience with Kendall Milton.

"So Kendall is a running back for Georgia. He came to us and said, ‘Hey guys, I love racing. I love cars. Is there anything we could do around that?’ We were like, ‘Sure, let's put our heads together,’ We got into a partnership with Kendall and BMW, and we had five lucky fans go out with Kendall to a racetrack in South Carolina and drive BMW cars around the racetrack for a day.

"So for fans who never knew Kendall loves cars or racing, like that's pretty badass. They love that too, and now you get to share that experience that’s nothing to do with football, that you may not have known about that player. So we're all about the experiences. We're all about the fan engagement, and hopefully building those connections for those players that will last past their playing career.”

NIL has run the gamut of helping kids profit off their name and legalizing what the NCAA deemed improper benefits in recruiting. This project falls in line with the way NIL was intended to work when it was approved. With that in mind, the feedback from those in the college world has been strong, and it allowed Murray and his partners to expand. When going into other markets, they’ve looked for local ambassadors who can help carry the project to their own programs.

“It's all been good,” Murray said. “I mean, especially the amount of money that has been able to generated. The coaches obviously know that, and NIL is a part of recruiting, it's a part of, you know, what they can pitch the kids. So, if schools know that there's this community that if you're at Texas, or at this school, or that school that we're part of, that you get put into essentially this opportunity to build your brand through interacting and then get paid on top of that. You know, we've had really little resistance from universities. That's the first thing we do is find what we like to call ambassadors, you know, people that can be kind of lead up the project.”

Former Texas linebackers Brian Jones and Derrick Johnson are leading the way for the Longhorns with Burnt Orange Heroes. Murray works with Jones on the broadcast side for CBS Sports and played in Kansas City with Johnson when both were members of the Chiefs.

“For me to go into Texas and say, ‘Hey, I'm gonna start this project here in Texas’, it would be like what the heck,” Murray said. “So we kind of take a step back, we let Derrick take it. We educate them about what the project is. He was super stoked to be involved. He wanted to get involved with the football team or just student athletes in general, there at Texas, and you'll help them make their money while building their brand.

"So he said he's super stoked about it along with Brian. And, you know, they've kind of taken it and run with it. We're just here to support them any way we can, whether it's helping set up events, obviously, or on the digital side, when it comes to these digital passes that we'll be selling, the creation of those, the storing of those and selling of those, we kind of handle that. And then they do a great job of helping our players interact with the fans.”

Though they’ve signed up several Texas football players including Justice Finkley, Byron Murphy, Anthony Cook, Demarvion Overshown and Jordan Whittington, they’ve also signed other athletes such as Texas basketball guard Andrew Jones, Texas women’s track athlete Tyra Gittens and Texas baseball pitcher Tanner Witt. The goal is to eventually expand where as many athletes as possible can take part in the experience.

“I think we set up some really good players,” Murray said. “Our goal is to eventually sign up the entire football team and bring everyone on board. That way everyone can participate, everyone can interact with the fans, obviously, everyone can can have a chance to make some money on the project as well. So that's the goal. But right now we feel really good about that the group of young men and women that we have.”

The first major event for Burnt Orange Heroes will be July 23 in Austin at High 5 Entertainment at 2700 West Anderson Lane in Austin. The event will last from 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. and feature several current and former Texas athletes.

“We'll have more events throughout the year, and that's essentially the launch of the project. So we'll be selling these digital passes that will go on sale that day. You don't have to own one to go to this first event. We just want people there to kind of get the experience. It will be like, ‘Man, this is cool. I want to go to more stuff like this throughout the year.’ And then from there, hopefully, you'll get more and more people to buy into what we're selling and what these kids are bringing to Austin, Texas. So the first event is just open for fans to come hang out and have a good time. We'll have bowling, we'll have ax throwing all there at High 5. There will be food and drinks, and you can just kind of kick it with all of the players.”

For more information on the event, you can visit the website.

• Hook 'Em 1

The first major event for Burnt Orange Heroes will be July 23 in Austin at High 5 Entertainment at 2700 West Anderson Lane in Austin. The event will last from 6:00 P.M. to 9:00 P.M. and feature several current and former Texas athletes.

“We'll have more events throughout the year, and that's essentially the launch of the project. So we'll be selling these digital passes that will go on sale that day. You don't have to own one to go to this first event. We just want people there to kind of get the experience. It will be like, ‘Man, this is cool. I want to go to more stuff like this throughout the year.’ And then from there, hopefully, you'll get more and more people to buy into what we're selling and what these kids are bringing to Austin, Texas. So the first event is just open for fans to come hang out and have a good time. We'll have bowling, we'll have ax throwing all there at High 5. There will be food and drinks, and you can just kind of kick it with all of the players.”

For more information on the event, you can visit the website.

Athletic: Texas, Steve Sarkisian added ‘very big dudes,’ but can new O-linemen make immediate impact?

“For Coach (Kyle) Flood to be able to work with those guys, meet with them, work on techniques, fundamentals, has been tremendous,” Sarkisian said. “Those guys, that freshman class, I think is poised to do something special at the University of Texas. They’ve got the right work ethic. They’ve got the right mindset. They have the physical traits. Now, ultimately, we’ve got to put it all together.”

Spoiler

Texas, Steve Sarkisian added ‘very big dudes,’ but can new O-linemen make immediate impact?

Jul 14, 2022; Arlington, TX, USA; Texas Longhorns head coach Steve Sarkisian is interviewed during the Big 12 Media Day at AT&T Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports
By Chris Vannini
Jul 15, 2022

ARLINGTON, Texas — Steve Sarkisian knew what needed to change in the Texas football program before he even got the job as head coach. In his interview, he told athletic director Chris Del Conte what that was.

“We need bigger humans in our program,” Sarkisian, entering his second season at Texas, recounted Thursday at Big 12 media days. “And we need more of them.”

While the quarterback battle between Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card is the No. 1 question in the program (along with the potential future of Arch Manning), and the skill talent is undeniable with running back Bijan Robinson and wide receiver Xavier Worthy, none of it will matter much if the Longhorns can’t block.

Arkansas had 10 tackles for loss and held Robinson to 3.6 yards per rush in the Razorbacks’ win over Texas last season — which some considered a sneak peek of how ready the Horns are for the SEC, which they’ll join by 2025. Robinson had 2.5 yards per rush in a loss to eventual Big 12 champion Baylor, and Texas allowed eight TFLs and five sacks in a loss to Iowa State.

The emphasis to get the front fixed was evident in the 2022 recruiting class, which saw the signing of seven offensive linemen, including five-star prospects Devon Campbell on the inside and Kelvin Banks on the outside. Four-star inside lineman Cole Hutson was the only one to enroll early and go through spring, drawing favorable reviews from coaches. But the verdict on the freshmen thus far? Texas got its bigger humans.

“One of them dudes came in, and I was like, ‘First of all, y’all are very big dudes,’” Robinson said. “(Four-star freshman) Cam Williams is like 6-7 and 380. I was like, man, you are a gigantic human being.

“Now that I see these kinds of guys potentially playing in front of me, it makes me smile every day. Then seeing them work, their nasty demeanor, even in the weight room.”

Robinson, a potential Heisman Trophy contender this fall, knows his success hinges on that group. Only three active FBS players averaged more than Robinson’s 142.2 scrimmage yards per game. But he also got banged up, and an elbow injury ended his season early. Robinson averaged 1.8 yards before contact per rush last season, 173rd in the FBS, per Pro Football Focus. The national average is about 2.1 for qualified rushers. In all, 68.2 percent of Robinson’s rush yards came after contact, the ninth-highest share among 53 FBS players to rush for at least 1,000 yards last season. The new faces up front could make a difference.

“I’m really impressed,” Robinson said. “They came in here ready to work immediately. I talked to them all before they got here, and I told them I need you guys this year to step it up and contribute in a very large way. They said, ‘I got you.’”

Among returning faces, three starters are back on the line in guard Junior Angilau, tackle Christian Jones and center Jake Majors, while others have starting experience. Would Sarkisian feel comfortable starting two true freshmen on the offensive line? In spring, he said he would. An NCAA rule change allowing coaches to be around the players more in the summer in the time since then has been helpful.

“For Coach (Kyle) Flood to be able to work with those guys, meet with them, work on techniques, fundamentals, has been tremendous,” Sarkisian said. “Those guys, that freshman class, I think is poised to do something special at the University of Texas. They’ve got the right work ethic. They’ve got the right mindset. They have the physical traits. Now, ultimately, we’ve got to put it all together.”

The old saying among coaches is that the closer a freshman is to the ball on the line of scrimmage, the larger the learning curve is. A wide receiver or a defensive end can rely more on physical ability. But at quarterback and offensive line, there’s so much more. And thus far, coaches have yet to see most of those new faces in Texas pads.

“For an offensive lineman, one, it’s being physically able to do it,” Sarkisian said. “Two, do you have the background, the foundation from high school or training to handle the fundamentals and techniques? Three, can you absorb the playbook? Four, can you apply the playbook to all the components the defense is posing you with? It imposes real challenges.”

Sarkisian said some players have the right makeup, such as Alabama’s Evan Neal, who “walked in the door, started at left guard, and three years later, he’s a first-round pick.” Lineman Alex Leatherwood of Alabama, where Sarkisian coached before coming to Texas, became a first-round pick after his senior year.

“Everybody’s journey is different on the offensive line,” Sarkisian said. “Early on, there are a lot of factors that go into, are they ready to play at a high level?”

Can Sarkisian tell yet if those factors are there?

“Not yet,” he said. “I have indicators that things are adding up. You can see the physical makeup. I can see them in conditioning and lifting and those numbers. I can see a little of the retention of the school. But we’re still in underwear. We haven’t put on the pads.”

Texas is so often judged by its quarterback play. It’s the nature of the beast. The perfect recruiting ratings for both Ewers and Manning only ramp up the hype and the pressure on them. But they’ll only have success if they have time to throw the ball. Four more offensive linemen in the Class of 2023 have committed to the Longhorns since Manning committed in late June. The quarterbacks may draw the big headlines, but the success in recruiting linemen thus far may ultimately determine the head coach’s tenure.

“So much of your team and your program and the identity of that comes through the big people up front,” Sarkisian said. “I remember talking to Vince (Young) after I’d been here and talking to Kasey Studdard. Kasey and those guys came because Vince had come, and they said we’re going to be the team that wins a championship and here’s how we do it. They shouldered that, and that takes the pressure off the skill players to perform.

“When you can start mauling people, the game’s a lot easier.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 5:50 PM, derpyhorndog said:

Question will make this obvious, but not very versed in NCAA restrictions re off-field coaches. Is GP (technically) allowed to provide on-field instruction?

Because this never got answered:  Non-coach staff cannot provide instruction on or off the field.

But how the NCAA defines "instruction" isn't very clear.  No one has ever run afoul of this while on the practice field or between plays/drives on the sideline.  Violations usually involve 1on1 film sessions or other sit downs with a player.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

2 Weeks from Thursday...  🤘

*We’re closing in on football. IT has learned the first day of fall camp will be August 4th. Before then, the team will get a short break from the end of July before reporting back on August 3rd

Hudson Standish at 247 said fall camp starts on August 2nd

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

Scoop:

The Trenches

The current starting offensive line is Andrej Karic-Junior Angilau-Jake Majors-Hayden Conner-Christian Jones. When Majors is out, Angilau moves to center, Conner moves to left guard, and Devon Campbell goes to right guard.

If a fab five freshman line were to be rolled out early in the season, the most likely lineup as of now would be Kelvin Banks-Malik Agbo-Cole Hutson-Devon Campbell-Cam Williams.

Agbo has been coming on of late and is slightly ahead of Neto Umeozulu when it comes to processing info.

Per one source, the three most impressive freshmen right now are Banks, Campbell, and the early enrollee Hutson. A couple other sources have singled out Cam Williams for his ability to move well at his size.

Back when this class signed we heard it was expected two true freshman would eventually start this season. That’s still the case, however at the time the two were believed to be Banks and Campbell. More freshman are going to push for snaps than just those two.

In checking in with sources on the D-line, the two first names to pop up were Byron Murphy and Alfred Collins. Murphy showed up ahead of the curve but he’s already taken the next step. Last year he went from kid to college football player, displaying disruptive potential along the way. Now he has an even better understanding of his role and capabilities. Sources cite his strong hands and nonstop motor.

Sources are pointing towards this being Collins’ breakout season. We’ve known he’s an immense talent dating back to high school, and he made some freakish plays as a freshman. After being somewhat miscast in 2021 he had a quiet year. ”He’s just an obvious monster waiting to explode,” a source said. We’ve heard the same from a different non-UT source with unique insight.

That same non-UT source loves Jaray Bledsoe’s upside but doesn’t think he’ll contribute much as a freshman.

True freshman Kris Ross and Aaron Bryant were named as great program fits from a mentality and work ethic standpoint. We already know the same of Justice Finkley.

One Edge to watch? Barryn Sorrell. His attitude and work ethic remain impressive so his growth and development continues to trend in the right direction. Don’t be surprised if he’s playing meaningful snaps in the fourth quarter this fall.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Scoop:

The Trenches

The current starting offensive line is Andrej Karic-Junior Angilau-Jake Majors-Hayden Conner-Christian Jones. When Majors is out, Angilau moves to center, Conner moves to left guard, and Devon Campbell goes to right guard.

If a fab five freshman line were to be rolled out early in the season, the most likely lineup as of now would be Kelvin Banks-Malik Agbo-Cole Hutson-Devon Campbell-Cam Williams.

Agbo has been coming on of late and is slightly ahead of Neto Umeozulu when it comes to processing info.

Per one source, the three most impressive freshmen right now are Banks, Campbell, and the early enrollee Hutson. A couple other sources have singled out Cam Williams for his ability to move well at his size.

Back when this class signed we heard it was expected two true freshman would eventually start this season. That’s still the case, however at the time the two were believed to be Banks and Campbell. More freshman are going to push for snaps than just those two.

In checking in with sources on the D-line, the two first names to pop up were Byron Murphy and Alfred Collins. Murphy showed up ahead of the curve but he’s already taken the next step. Last year he went from kid to college football player, displaying disruptive potential along the way. Now he has an even better understanding of his role and capabilities. Sources cite his strong hands and nonstop motor.

Sources are pointing towards this being Collins’ breakout season. We’ve known he’s an immense talent dating back to high school, and he made some freakish plays as a freshman. After being somewhat miscast in 2021 he had a quiet year. ”He’s just an obvious monster waiting to explode,” a source said. We’ve heard the same from a different non-UT source with unique insight.

That same non-UT source loves Jaray Bledsoe’s upside but doesn’t think he’ll contribute much as a freshman.

True freshman Kris Ross and Aaron Bryant were named as great program fits from a mentality and work ethic standpoint. We already know the same of Justice Finkley.

One Edge to watch? Barryn Sorrell. His attitude and work ethic remain impressive so his growth and development continues to trend in the right direction. Don’t be surprised if he’s playing meaningful snaps in the fourth quarter this fall.

How exactly is anyone coming on as of late, or do we have starting lineup combinations if we havent even hit fall camp yet?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JBJ said:

Because this never got answered:  Non-coach staff cannot provide instruction on or off the field.

But how the NCAA defines "instruction" isn't very clear.  No one has ever run afoul of this while on the practice field or between plays/drives on the sideline.  Violations usually involve 1on1 film sessions or other sit downs with a player.

Doesn’t matter Ovie was simply telling a story about GP coming into the meeting and telling the kids there is a heat wave coming and they need to prepare. He gave all of them his personal sweat towel providers number 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

How exactly is anyone coming on as of late, or do we have starting lineup combinations if we havent even hit fall camp yet?

they have 3 hours of coaching instructions a week now right? still not sure how anyone would be "coming on as of late" but I could at least see a way to come up with a prospective starting lineup.

I tell you what....when Bryce Young gets on the podium at SEC Media days and praises Sark ....well that cannot hurt. When he goes on to say Sark was the reason he went to Bama...and that he learned a lot from him in the short time they were together...

I doubt Saban wanted to hear that and I know Jimbo damned sure didnt....

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Nick Satan bitching about NIL and conference realignment because competitive balance lol

Fucking Vegas favorite to win it all ever year and bitching

They scared

maybe aggy is right....we Do fuck up every conference we get into. If the rest can't keep up, well thats the way it goes....

• Hook 'Em 1