2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

seriously, if Quinn comes in and really looks good ( like we all expect) and then Arch comes in and looks really good (again, like we all expect), Sark will have first dibbs on the best QB's in the land for as long as he is here.

It's all about crootin

Surround a QB with a solid O line and skill positions in Sark's system he's going to dominate.

Last year we were still stuck halfway in Herman's QB sweep mensa offense with no offensive line and just Bijan and Worthy.

The way we are recruiting right now the sky is the limit

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It's all about crootin

Surround a QB with a solid O line and skill positions in Sark's system he's going to dominate.

Last year we were still stuck halfway in Herman's QB sweep mensa offense with no offensive line and just Bijan and Worthy.

The way we are recruiting right now the sky is the limit

What does this mean, "the sky is the limit"? What if the inner outer space is the limit for some other team? I'm afraid that it could mean that we'll suck again.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bevo said:

What does this mean, "the sky is the limit"? What if the inner outer space is the limit for some other team? I'm afraid that it could mean that we'll suck again.

13-0 every year starting in 2023 blowout everyone in the playoffs 

or bust

23 hours ago, Vertigo said:

How exactly is anyone coming on as of late, or do we have starting lineup combinations if we havent even hit fall camp yet?

He's been showing up for 6:30 am workouts at 6:25 am instead of before when his lazy ass wouldn't arrive until 6:28. Or on horrible days maybe even 6:29. 

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I tell you what....when Bryce Young gets on the podium at SEC Media days and praises Sark ....well that cannot hurt. When he goes on to say Sark was the reason he went to Bama...and that he learned a lot from him in the short time they were together...

I doubt Saban wanted to hear that and I know Jimbo damned sure didnt....

didn't see anything about this, anyone have a clip?

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In some vague part of a dream last night, Hudson Card opened the season as a starter. It woke me up. I don't think I've had a dream with UT football in it maybe ever. Fucking Ewers better be the guy from the jump.

@closetohumping 

Your REM wasn't established enough yet to remember the early part of dream where Ewers sustained an injury during camp because that is only way your dream is true.  But still.....10% chance your dream becomes reality.

49 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In some vague part of a dream last night, Hudson Card opened the season as a starter. It woke me up. I don't think I've had a dream with UT football in it maybe ever. Fucking Ewers better be the guy from the jump.

@closetohumping 

Holy fuck. Spoiler that shit. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@closetohumping 

I used to have dreams that I overslept getting in the Pink tailgate lot line and some fuckers were in our spot…

2 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

didn't see anything about this, anyone have a clip?

labama QB Bryce Young praised Steve Sarkisian on Tuesday. Said Sarkisian was the reason he committed to Bama. Young also said he learned a lot from Sarkisian during their short time together #SECMediaDays

9:42 AM · Jul 19, 2022 from Atlanta, GA
https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref...H0BsTN_XzA26s=19&tweet_id=1549404427857133568

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

@closetohumping 

Guy has bled for the program.   Gotta give him a shot vs Monroe 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Fuck kurt.

And for good measure, FCB.

If you heard his question to Saban at the end of his session, he tried to make a joke about Saban not winning a NC so he had a down year and Saban just stared a hole through him. I can't wait for that twat to get the train run on him once we join the SEC from other coaches. 

• Drool 1

@LTtxfan Here you go, LTX.  The article, by your hero ... 

The Insider: The latest on Texas' quarterback situation and more
CHIP BROWN

Spoiler

The Insider: The latest on Texas' quarterback situation and more
CHIP BROWN

Horns247 talked to some team sources about the summer development of quarterbacks Quinn Ewers and Hudson Card, especially after Steve Sarkisian mentioned at Big 12 Media Days he doesn’t think it’ll take as long as last year to determine a starter.

In 2021, Sarkisian waited until game week to announce that Card had earned the right over Casey Thompson to start the season opener against Louisiana.

“No, we haven’t made a decision yet,” Sarkisian said last Thursday. “But I don’t think it’ll take quite as long as maybe last fall took us.”

The first thing to consider regarding Sarkisian’s comment is there’s a new rule that allows coaches to actually coach their players for up to eight hours (limited to two hours per week) in June and July. So, Sarkisian has actually been able to coach and observe his quarterbacks — hands-on — during the summer in a way he wasn’t able to last year, when it was Card competing with Thompson.

Up until last year, coaches could observe strength and conditioning sessions during the summer and meet with players for up to two hours per week for film study, but any on-field work with a ball was prohibited. Now, on-field work with a ball — essentially a practice without pads — is allowed during those eight summer workout hours.

“It’s a rule change that really benefits coaches’ ability to bring along young players and transfers,” said one team source.

For Texas, the timing couldn’t have come at a better time, considering Ewers needs all the hands-on coaching from Sarkisian he can get as he tries to become more comfortable with his coach’s voluminous offense.

As I’ve reported previously, Ewers suffered “a bunch of interceptions” during spring practices — “many more than Card,” according to a source — as Ewers began his crash-course in Sarkisian’s offense.

Those mistakes have to be cleaned up, and when I asked Sarkisian about Ewers’ progress at Big 12 Media Days, he said Ewers has made big strides over the summer.

“As much as we tried to install the offense in winter conditioning, every day in the spring was brand new to him (Ewers),” Sarkisian said. “It was a new system, a new scheme. One thing I credit him on is when there was something he needed to really focus on and work on, he put in the work.

“I’ve said this a lot about Quinn, he’s a very coachable guy and works at it. So, you see it now in the summer to where things that may have been an issue in spring ball aren’t nearly as much of an issue now in the summer. So, it just continues growth. But he loves the game. He loves to play quarterback. He wants to be coached. He wants to be coached hard, and he wants to work at his craft. And you see the work he’s putting in because his play has improved.”

In talking to team sources about the quarterback situation right now, they say Ewers and Card have both had solid summers and that Ewers has cleaned up a lot of his mistakes. Both quarterbacks are not naturally vocal leaders, which can be problematic when adversity strikes, depending on how the quarterback handles himself.

Running back Roschon Johnson compared Card and Ewers to former Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, who won a Heisman Trophy despite his low-key personality.

Teammates last year had to tell Card during UT’s loss at Arkansas not to sulk on the bench after a three-and-out. But it hasn’t been Card’s nature to walk the sidelines and reassure teammates after a tough series or turnover.

Along with Card’s pocket presence, improving his overall presence with teammates — in good situations or in bad — must improve.

One important thing to consider — made very apparent by one team source — is that Ewers and Card are completely different quarterbacks.

“They’re good at different things and are very different in terms of their production,” the source said.

When I pressed the source for the biggest difference, the source said, “Quinn likes to stay in the pocket and is better at deep balls and making awkward throws. Hudson is a little more comfortable with all the plays and is more athletic and can move around.”

In other words, Ewers is a pro-style quarterback (the style Sarkisian has always preferred), and Card is a dual-threat who’s had to work incredibly hard at developing pocket presence and not just taking off at the first sign of trouble.

“Last year, he (Sarkisian) was really having to choose between two dual-threat guys (in Card and Thompson),” one team source said. “This year, he has a pro-style guy in the mix — a guy he recruited (in Ewers).”

While most of the team sources I spoke with believe Ewers will end up being the starter, the one thing that could tip Sarkisian toward Card is if he does a better job of taking care of the ball in fall camp, especially in those all-important first two scrimmages.

Thompson probably had a lead on Card to be the starter last year until a turnover-prone first scrimmage of fall camp — followed by him showing up late for meetings post-first scrimmage — pushed Card into the lead.

“Quinn’s a bit of a gunslinger,” one team source said. “And all gunslinger’s with his kind of arm talent think they can make a play — even when they should throw it away and punt.”

Sarkisian was asked on SiriusXM radio last week if he would consider starting Card through the first two games of the season, and then turn the job over to Ewers — after Texas faces Alabama, and Heisman finalist sack machine Will Anderson.

“If I have to protect guys against certain teams, then I’m in the wrong line of work,” Sarkisian said. “Or I’ve recruited the wrong guys.”

Sarkisian has said he doesn’t like playing first-year guys at quarterback. And even though Ewers is a redshirt freshman after spending last season at Ohio State, he’s essentially a first-year guy, considering he hasn’t started a game since 2020 in Southlake Carroll’s state title game loss to Austin Westlake and got just two garbage-time snaps with the Buckeyes (both handoffs).

But Ewers, the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect in 2021, according to the 247Sports Composite ranking, is a pro-style quarterback who was recruited by Sarkisian (and who will also hang in the pocket and deliver precise deep balls), so it could already be Ewers’ job to lose, in one team source’s opinion.

One of the more interesting tidbits from Steve Sarkisian at Big 12 Media Days last week was his comment that Bo Davis was the best defensive line coach in the country and that it was time for UT’s D-line “to play like that.”

Sarkisian went on to say “the rapport between the guys and Coach Davis has been tremendous.”

“I think it took a little bit of time to trust and develop that relationship with him,” Sarkisian added. “He’s a great developer of talent and a great developer of young men, and I think the buy-in to Coach Davis has been the start of that, and, in turn, I think you’re seeing better quality of play from the guys up front.

“Now, we’ve got to do it in training camp and then do it on the field in the fall, but I think we’re moving in the right direction.”

I asked team sources what was going on with the defensive linemen and Davis last season and received some interesting responses.

One team source told me, “I think some players (on the D-line) just grew frustrated with all the coaching changes that had been happening on defense.

“You had (Todd) Orlando in 2019, Chris Ash in 2020 and Pete Kwiatkowski in 2021. That’s just a ton of change.”

A source noted that, “just when you saw a guy like Alfred Collins start to flash late in the season in 2020 — at the Alamo Bowl — boom, another coaching change and another defense to learn.”

Another source said defensive tackle T'Vondre Sweat might’ve allowed his frustration with all the coaching change to affect his relationship with Davis.

“Remember that Davis replaced Oscar Giles, who was much more of an approachable coach for the players to talk to about football and other stuff,” the source said. “In comes Bo Davis, who can be a funny, personable guy, but it’s often sarcasm, and he’s a fire-breather when it comes to football and earning his respect.”

Sources said Sarkisian’s team-building exercises, including having players and coaches tell their life stories to each other every Wednesday in small groups during the summer, have helped strengthen some bonds on the D-line.

“I think you’re seeing a much more cohesive unit, and guys like Sweat and (Moro) Ojomo and A.C. (Collins) have a much better understanding of Davis in Year 2,” one team source said. “It helps that guys are much more comfortable in the second year of the defense as well. That group has to be better, and I think it will be.”

In addition to a desire to have Texas’ cornerbacks play more man coverage, so coaches have the flexibility of bringing a safety down into the box to help stop the run — one of the more intriguing changes on defense this season will be the coaches having DeMarvion Overshown move from weak side to strong side linebacker when UT is in its base defense (with three linebackers on the field).

By moving Overshown to strong side linebacker in UT’s base defense, it will allow Overshown to rush the passer from either edge or even shoot gaps in the middle of the line.

In nickel, when UT has five defensive backs on the field, Overshown will line up at weak side linebacker, where he's lined up the last two seasons.

Giving Overshown — a freak of an athlete at 6-foot-4, 224 pounds — an opportunity to rush the passer mirrors the move Ash made with former Texas LB Joseph Ossai in 2020.

Under Orlando, Ossai often found himself dropping into coverage rather than charging forward, in an effort to assist with the injury-plagued and green secondary the Longhorns had on the field. (Ossai had two interceptions in 2019).

Under Ash in 2020, Ossai had the opportunity to move up on the line as an outside linebacker and made a huge impact rushing the passer. Ossai posted 15.5 tackles for loss, including 5.5 sacks, with three forced fumbles. Ossai’s signature game as a pass-rusher was his three-sack performance, including the game-sealing sack of quarterback Spencer Sanders, in Texas’ improbable, 41-34 overtime win at Oklahoma State in 2020.

“Ossai was like 250 or 260 (pounds) at 6-foot-4,” one team source said. “D-MO (Overshown) is 6-foot-4, but closer to 225 (pounds). But D-MO is playing more physical and certainly has the speed to be an effective rusher. If D-MO could have the same impact that Ossai had when he moved up on the line, a big problem might be solved.”

Right now, when you ask team sources who the Longhorns’ best pass rusher is, there is no consensus answer.

There’s hope it will be senior Ovie Oghoufo or sophomore Barryn Sorrell, junior Alfred Collins or perhaps even freshman Justice Finkley, which would mean Texas is likely getting pressure just rushing four. But if Overshown can become a guy opposing offenses have to account for, he can help draw attention from blockers that could open lanes for teammates (such as Oghoufo, Sorrell, Collins or others) to get in the backfield and make a play.

Coaches felt they could move Overshown into a more versatile role because of the confidence they have in David Gbenda and Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey to hold down the weak side linebacker position when Overshown moves to the strong side.

Coaches are hoping for dramatic improvement at linebacker this season thanks to the play of Gbenda, Tucker-Dorsey and rising junior Jaylan Ford (6-foot-2, 238 pounds) in the middle.

Ford is being backed up in the middle by Jett Bush and Devin Richardson, while last year’s starting middle linebacker, Luke Brockermeyer, continues to recover from a torn ACL suffered in UT’s last contact practice of the season last November.

But sources told Horns247 Brockermeyer won’t be fully cleared for contact until after fall camp concludes.

True freshman Derrick Brown (6-foot-4, 206 pounds) will ultimately end up on the edge, but Brown is working at strong side linebacker (behind Overshown) while he adds more weight to his frame.

Freshman LB Trevell Johnson, who missed his senior season at Arlington Martin last year due to injury, has a long way to go, according to Horns247 sources.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

Still think we're a year away. 

Should see a big improvement over the 2nd half of last season but still too many holes in the team and inexperienced top talent. Take the lumps while learning this year then win the last big 12 title next year. 

Guess they could win it this year if they overachieve since the rest of the conference looks down.