2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

18 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Don't players and coaches pretty much always say, "This year's team is different... way better..." every year following a disappointing season? I don't see how you can put any stock into any quote in times like these.  I hope he's right but until it's shown on gameday it's nothing more than meaningless coachspeak.   I'm tired hearing how great this untested and recently 5-7 team is.  I'm not knocking the guy for saying it at a dinner... what else could he say?   I've just been burned too many times by teams that were gonna be better and then weren't. 

He could have said "We're going to gorilla butt fuck  boof those guys". 

Edited by Sabalo
Edited per Immamac.
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, pacman said:

Short season preview from pff.com

Screenshot_20220730-090000_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220730-090119_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220730-090255_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20220730-090419_Drive.jpg

The EPA per play stuff certainly confirms what we saw last year. Our run O was better than the pass (mainly because our QBs sucked and our OL was better at run than pass) and our defense wasn’t good against the pass, but we were absolutely abysmal against the run. I certainly expect our Pass O to improve. The real question is whether our Run D can. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Daichee Bell said:

what happened to Cole Lourd? Ballard isn’t scholarship, right?

You can only take 110 players to camp and you need non-QB walk-ons to be blocking and tackling dummies, so no room for the 6th string QB. I suspect he'll be OK and spend the time doing positive things like living in sorority houses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

The EPA per play stuff certainly confirms what we saw last year. Our run O was better than the pass (mainly because our QBs sucked and our OL was better at run than pass) and our defense wasn’t good against the pass, but we were absolutely abysmal against the run. I certainly expect our Pass O to improve. The real question is whether our Run D can. 

Our passing O getting good will certainly improve our run defense- if we score enough points we can get other teams out of their game plans. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Regarding Run D. Our box was light by design and allowed teams to obliterate us. Seeing Ovie and Bush attempt to set the edge against a 300-lb tackle or pulling guard was horrific. Bush was game and could hold up a few plays. But Ovie would just run himself out of the play.

2-4 will not work in the SEC and needs to be abandoned or relegated to a speciality look. I’m actually skeptical it even exists or just is a Nickel look with some zone blitzes.

6.6 feels pretty spot on as a wins number.

The floor has moved high enough to get to 6-6 (plus flipping Kansas from a L to a W is low hanging fruit) but many of the same issues will persist. Freshmen OL and QB will have freshman moments. I could talk myself into 8-4 after a couple of glasses of Kool Aid. Anything beyond that would be pretty surprising.

3 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Regarding Run D. Our box was light by design and allowed teams to obliterate us. Seeing Ovie and Bush attempt to set the edge against a 300-lb tackle or pulling guard was horrific. Bush was game and could hold up a few plays. But Ovie would just run himself out of the play.

2-4 will not work in the SEC and needs to be abandoned or relegated to a speciality look. I’m actually skeptical it even exists or just is a Nickel look with some zone blitzes.

Oh cool Surly is going to fixate on arbitrary alignment designations again.

• Haha 2

Oh cool Surly is going to fixate on arbitrary alignment designations again.

Not really. You have Brian Orakpo you can put him as an Edge in just about anything you want. Jett Bush and Ovie Oghoufo, not so much. To stop the run, you cant pretend they’re something they’re not. We did that most of last season. We needed more mass on the line on more plays.

We run a 3-3 (by size and ability, not alignment) with 2 of those “linebackers” unable to “back”, what do expect will happen? If we continue to do that, then the personnel will get demoralized and their development will suffer.

55 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

You keep harping on the 2-4 when it’s the exact same as a 4-2. PK usually runs a guy about 245-250 on the weak side and a guy around 260-265 on the strong side. That’s plenty big when he has the right guys and it functions almost identically to a 4-2. Our problem last year was DL who were bad at 2-gapping and horrible edge personnel, especially after Jones got hurt.

If you want to focus on a scheme failing from last year, it would be the catch and release 2 gapping when we had DL who couldn’t execute it and bad linebackers behind them , not the use of a 2-4, which is a distinction without a difference from a 4-2.  

25 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

We run a 3-3 (by size and ability, not alignment) with 2 of those “linebackers” unable to “back”, what do expect will happen? If we continue to do that, then the personnel will get demoralized and their development will suffer.

This is also completely wrong. PK ran a 3-3 sometimes, but his base 2-4 does not function as a 3-3. It’s 2 DTs, 2 edges, and 2 ILBs. We always had 2 ILBs on the field. That’s not a 3-3 in function or in personnel. 

• Hook 'Em 7

On 7/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- the rumor out of camp last year was that the WR room was terrible the OLine sucked, QB had no separation and the only part of the team that might be a strength was the DLine (whoops). There was talk (that most didn’t believe) that the coaching staff was telling everyone who would listen that Alabamas second team was way more talented than our starters and it was going to be a rough year. 
I haven’t heard anything remotely as concerning coming out as last year except that it feels like we will not get to the QB because we are not good at edge. We also missed out on that at the portal (the only position group we didn’t upgrade through the portal- other then RB which was so stacked why bother) and we don’t seem like we are killing it there on the recruiting front.  You can’t be a great team if you can’t get to the QB. So, hopefully that changes at some point in time. 

great post. The only issue I have with this is that it is hard to compare last years attitude in camp with this years when we have yet to be at camp.....

I would rather see us talk about how we are better than last year when we actually are in camp. 

You get props from me for pointing out that this is not the same as we hear every year, when last year we were seeing lots of bad stuff that came to pass.....good catch...

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You keep harping on the 2-4 when it’s the exact same as a 4-2. PK usually runs a guy about 245-250 on the weak side and a guy around 260-265 on the strong side. That’s plenty big when he has the right guys and it functions almost identically to a 4-2. Our problem last year was DL who were bad at 2-gapping and horrible edge personnel, especially after Jones got hurt.

If you want to focus on a scheme failing from last year, it would be the catch and release 2 gapping when we had DL who couldn’t execute it and bad linebackers behind them , not the use of a 2-4, which is a distinction without a difference from a 4-2.  

This is also completely wrong. PK ran a 3-3 sometimes, but his base 2-4 does not function as a 3-3. It’s 2 DTs, 2 edges, and 2 ILBs. We always had 2 ILBs on the field. That’s not a 3-3 in function or in personnel. 

Gee whiz Burt.....you dont actually think anyone on Surly has a clue about any of this do you?.....I think you could have written your reply in Mandarin  and the understanding would have been the same....

42 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Gee whiz Burt.....you dont actually think anyone on Surly has a clue about any of this do you?.....I think you could have written your reply in Mandarin  and the understanding would have been the same....

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1445794868383518729?s=20&t=nEf39WYBQ8dNjWkskJsfLA

Edited by Your Mom

43 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Burt makes me feel for a fleeting moment like some people here know what they're talking about. 

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

NCAA come up with a solution, better chance of hitting the lottery.

All they have to do is have a plan and the ear of the right people... I won't get too conspiracy, but you do realize there are people willing to limit the financial opportunities of young... Players.

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

2-4 not big enough up front. Small defenses built on speed wear out and lose the 4th quarter. Guys arent as fast in the 4th as they are in the 1st. But theyre the same size

Texas barely ran a 2-4 last year, so can we stop with the 2-4 talk?

6 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I never thought 2-4 was real... One of the 4 still has to be able to play the line, regardless of where he stands.

Same with 3-3 when a team is as power run/PA team, which is every team that isn't Mike Leach. 

The reality is, they're 425 hybrids based on the strength of the offense....  Which is why I'm glad to have Patterson.  

2 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I never thought 2-4 was real... One of the 4 still has to be able to play the line, regardless of where he stands.

Same with 3-3 when a team is as power run/PA team, which is every team that isn't Mike Leach. 

The reality is, they're 425 hybrids based on the strength of the offense....  Which is why I'm glad to have Patterson.  

3-3 and 4-2-5 can look identical. The numbers only tell you the amount of DL, LBs, and Secondary. I am sure nobody cared about a 3-3-5, when Ossai was on the LOS 80% on the time. I would love to run a 2-4-5. Patriots do it all the time. It would require players that Texas doesn’t have. That is probably why they barely ran it last year. One reason we have the moniker EDGE now is because the WDE in a 4 man front is pretty damn similar to a OLB in a 3 man front. 

http://www.blitzology.com/2016/01/hybridizing-3-3-stack-defense-with-4.html?m=1

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Alabama runs a 2-4 with Anderson and Turner. 

talent and fundamentals make the scheme work. Even in the vaunted SEC

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Who would be the strong and weakside players based on our roster? What position would Walton and Gullette at about 6'2" 220 play if they are signed? What position would someone like Hicks play?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Who would be the strong and weakside players based on our roster? What position would Walton and Gullette at about 6'2" 220 play if they are signed? What position would someone like Hicks play?

Sorrell, Finkley, Burke (if he fills out) are your Bigger jack. Ovie, DJ Harris, Tapp, dorbah are your smaller Buck. 

Ojomo, Bledsoe, Swanson play the SDE. 

Walton is a buck after gaining 20 lbs. Gillette is a Sam in base 4-3. 

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This year it would be Ovie and Sorrell at the two spots. From last year’s class, Tapp would project to weak side (though he’ll be strong and athletic enough to make either work) and Finkley would be strong side. 

Both Walton and Gullette probably project to weak side but idk exactly how big they are. Shelby has the frame for strong side edge if we could get him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This year it would be Ovie and Sorrell at the two spots. From last year’s class, Tapp would project to weak side (though he’ll be strong and athletic enough to make either work) and Finkley would be strong side. 

Both Walton and Gullette probably project to weak side but idk exactly how big they are. Shelby has the frame for strong side edge if we could get him. 

Where does Dylan Spencer fit in this you think?

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I honestly don’t think we will see much 2-4 this year. Likely to see 3 Man front this year. I didn’t see any of edge guy in the spring game that looked ready. If you are struggling to find 1, you can’t run a 2-4. Crazy to think the PK may have to be at Texas 3-4 year until he can legitimately run his preferred look.

8 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Crazy to think the PK may have to be at Texas 3-4 year until he can legitimately run his preferred look.

If you had to bet 5K of your own money, yes or no, is PK employed by Texas this time next year?

On 7/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, victory88 said:

Yeah, I’m going to be honest.  I was super excited about PK but last year was probably the worst called defense and development I’ve seen in the 20 years I’ve been watching Texas football.  I say that with full understand that this team had talent issues across the board.  That’s still not an excuse for the product on the field.  We had multiple games where we had 2 score leads at halftime only to blow them away.  Even a remotely decent DC should be able to make teams 1 dimensional being up 2-3 scores.

In my opinion this defense was setup to fail from the start.  Gideon and Davis seemed like they were hired to coach under Muschamp.  Then that falls through and we bring in PK.  We had huge holes at edge and LB and our DC decides he wants to build his defense around the fucking edges and LBs.  On top of that, seemed like the players had 0 understanding of the scheme and the DL front and DB coverages never seemed to be on the same page.  Add in starting quitters like BJ Foster all season and it doesn’t surprise me that this was the worst defense in Texas history probably.  

Unfortunately, we didn’t acquire any remotely decent edge players, LBs, or safeties in the portal.  Seems like we will run the same scheme and ask our converted inconsistent LB in Overshown to now play edge and be our pass rusher lol.  Ovie was terrible last year and they plan to trot him out again.  Jerrin Thompson was terrible last year and he’s the leading candidate start at safety.  Really hope Jaylon Ford is progressing bc most of these dudes couldn’t beat out a walk-on in Brokermeyer and a converted WR in Schooler.

I listened to Michael Griffin on a podcast and he basically politely said to expect this defense to suck ass again.  Bc they haven’t changed anything and now we are relying on guys that couldn’t beat out the shit players we trotted out last year to be the answer….

Hope we are all wrong…

Let's hope PK is fired after Bama and Fat Pat takes over. 

• Drool 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Let’s hope not because that would be one of the dumbest decisions I’ve seen this program make (and we’ve made a lot of them the last 12 years). If we have to fire people after losing the second game of the season in which we were a 2 touchdown underdog to the #1 team in the country with a heisman trophy winning QB, then we really wasted an entire offseason.

I wouldn’t be hoping for that outcome because that would be really fucking bad.

True. I keep hoping for a Greg Robinson in Fat Pat and a miraculous turnaround after that game 

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

If you had to bet 5K of your own money, yes or no, is PK employed by Texas this time next year?

I’d say yes. Texas wins 9 games this year and it will be hard to fire your DC after a 4 game improvement. I also think GP doesn’t want to be the DC. He is enjoying the ability to be around the game but with no pressure. This year is about learning Offense from Sark as much as it is helping tie up the secondary to the front end for the defense. GP wants another head coaching job. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Gun to my head, I’ll say yes with the caveat I think it’s like 51% chance he stays 

That is a fair assessment. My guess.....I think PK is fired after our road game at Okie State. Then Bitch Tits has the bye week to install his changes to the defense so we can try to rally up and win 3 of our final 4 games so we can qualify for a bowl. 

3 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

That is a fair assessment. My guess.....I think PK is fired after our road game at Okie State. Then Bitch Tits has the bye week to install his changes to the defense so we can try to rally up and win 3 of our final 4 games so we can qualify for a bowl. 

A lot of it will be based on record. Also I think the defense shows improvement. If the record and defense shows improvement, I don’t think the DC gets the ax. I am not sure Patterson wants to be a DC again. Part of me thinks this is the perfect job for him. He gets to coach and dig into film, but doesn’t have to chance teenagers or any of the other BS

33 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

A lot of it will be based on record. Also I think the defense shows improvement. If the record and defense shows improvement, I don’t think the DC gets the ax. I am not sure Patterson wants to be a DC again. Part of me thinks this is the perfect job for him. He gets to coach and dig into film, but doesn’t have to chance teenagers or any of the other BS

I wouldn't be surprised to see GP take a job on TV for ESPN or another network at some point.  Gary's already better at it than both Mark Richt and Gene Chizik.