2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

5 hours ago, JFKFC said:

If you had to bet 5K of your own money, yes or no, is PK employed by Texas this time next year?

Yes.  If he was going to be shitcanned it would have been last year.   In the past 15 years we have seen several record setting shit defenses or some one trick ponies (Orlando).   If the defense improves to be top 75, we will win more games (7).  If the o-line starts becoming barley men (gladiators ate barley, wheat, and beans for you uneducated dumbfucks) we will win more games (7).  If both of those things happen, we will win 9 games.    All the pieces are in place for both to happen (WRs, QB, O-line that doesn't get tackled by grass, Patterson)

Suck that kool-aid.  

Edited by Nivek

39 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Yes.  If he was going to be shitcanned it would have been last year.   In the past 15 years we have seen several record setting shit defenses or some one trick ponies (Orlando).   If the defense improves to be top 75, we will win more games (7).  If the o-line starts becoming barley men (gladiators ate barley, wheat, and beans for you uneducated dumbfucks) we will win more games (7).  If both of those things happen, we will win 9 games.    All the pieces are in place for both to happen (WRs, QB, O-line that doesn't get tackled by grass, Patterson)

Suck that kool-aid.  

I read this as "barely men"...which I guess could apply too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, JFKFC said:

That is a fair assessment. My guess.....I think PK is fired after our road game at Okie State. Then Bitch Tits has the bye week to install his changes to the defense so we can try to rally up and win 3 of our final 4 games so we can qualify for a bowl. 

I didn't know you were in the running for DC.... what changes would you like to install? 

Edited by Lou_Sassle
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

Suck that kool-aid.  

We don't want gladiator survival meals...

We want Mandingo champion meals... And the related, ummm... relations.

11 hours ago, JFKFC said:

If you had to bet 5K of your own money, yes or no, is PK employed by Texas this time next year?

If I found anyone to bet....you damned right he will be here! ....He might be here for years unless his top 5 defense gets him a bunch of HC offers....book it!

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Slow day, so cross-posting

July 30th -- Features "Scipio Tex"

Texas Homer:  [Full Breakdown] 2022 Texas Longhorns Offense Preview: QB Competition, RB/WR Depth, OL Improvement

It’s funny how so much is coming out about the offense, but good luck finding anything on the defense. 

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He said part 2 about the defense is being released this week.

That is interesting. All the comments from coaching make it sound like there will be changes. I am curious to see what they are, though I am not sure anyone really knows 

14 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That is interesting. All the comments from coaching make it sound like there will be changes. I am curious to see what they are, though I am not sure anyone really knows 

They certainly were not going to show the world major changes in the spring game. Ojomo’s unfiltered comments about more 3-down stuff with the big DT’s out as DE’s is the only hint of what they are working on more.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

They certainly were not going to show the world major changes in the spring game. Ojomo’s unfiltered comments about more 3-down stuff with the big DT’s out as DE’s is the only hint of what they are working on more.

Heard more aggressive. More man coverage. Overshown on the edge. I always thought PK would go 3 DL, it’s in his DNA. All those Northwest guys seem to be 3-4 guys at heart. I guess we will eventually find out 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

Heard more aggressive. More man coverage. Overshown on the edge. I always thought PK would go 3 DL, it’s in his DNA. All those Northwest guys seem to be 3-4 guys at heart. I guess we will eventually find out 

PK’s DNA is the 4 man front. He ditched it last year after Jones went down but many failed to notice because the results didn’t really change. It’s why the notion that he just kept trying the same things were so tiring. We overhauled the entire scheme to try to make up for lack of edge presence. Obviously it didn’t matter last season but it should allow us to be more diverse this season with our fronts and looks.

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

PK’s DNA is the 4 man front. He ditched it last year after Jones went down but many failed to notice because the results didn’t really change. It’s why the notion that he just kept trying the same things were so tiring. We overhauled the entire scheme to try to make up for lack of edge presence. Obviously it didn’t matter last season but it should allow us to be more diverse this season with our fronts and looks.

PK is a 3-4 guy. Big ass 2 gapping DTs. Wants those DTs to control the interior gaps, which is straight out of the 3-4 book. In theory that has allowed him to use lighter DEs on the edges.  Also why you saw a true 3-4 out of him last year

this a decent description of PK’s defense with the traits he is looking for at each spot 

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2018/4/9/16859732/coach-bs-breakdown-the-husky-nickel-defense-front-6

Edited by Codaxx
  • Rage+1 1

I know this has all been rehashed before, but I just don’t see how our upperclassmen players fit the PK profile. Ojomo, Collins, Murphy, and to a certain extent Sweat all seem built to use quickness and athleticism to get upfield and be disruptive, not be space eaters tying up blockers. And it’s not as if we have a ton of players to get after the passer from the edge or to clean up in run support at LB or S. Just a complete mismatch of scheme to personnel. Seems like a true 4-2-5 like Ash was running would be a much better fit.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

37 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

PK is a 3-4 guy. Big ass 2 gapping DTs. Wants those DTs to control the interior gaps, which is straight out of the 3-4 book. In theory that has allowed him to use lighter DEs on the edges.  Also why you saw a true 3-4 out of him last year

this a decent description of PK’s defense with the traits he is looking for at each spot 

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2018/4/9/16859732/coach-bs-breakdown-the-husky-nickel-defense-front-6

More fun discussions about this here...

• Haha 2

3-4 or 4 man front, gotta believe some of the shit play at safety and LB will be better in 2022.  Glad to hear the corners are gonna be  playing more tight coverages.

Tired of our defense trying to play safe and protect the red zones.  Gotta be more physical and aggressive on defense and generate more turnovers.

No more scared, pussy defense in 2022  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

All who argue about shitcanning staff after one year of trying to clean up a 3 coaches fuckfest, need to eat the shit out of their own cans!  I for one who has watched 50+ years of Longhorn football am more gruntled since VY.  Fucdoubters.  All fucking gas, my foot is ready to floor it motherfuckers!  Get with the program or do the fucking portal to aggieland!

STFU up or I will remove my large foot and shove it up all your whining asses!  Camp is happening!  And we have da goods!🤘

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

I've watched 50+ years of Longhorn football am more gruntled.   Fucdoubters. All fucking gas...   Get with the program or do the fucking portal to aggieland!   STFU up or I will remove my large foot and shove it up all your whining asses!  Camp is happening!  And we have da goods!🤘

Domedriver

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Saw more 3-man fronts later in the year and some 3-4 looks. But when you have Thornton-Coburn-Murphy-Ovie/Bush, wtf is that? Saw shit tons of that. And Ovie/Bush rarely Backed. And they didnt Edge or End. They rushed the backfield, and not very well.

IT Scoop:

Here’s our best guess at pre-camp two-deep. Of course when we say best guess it’s heavily sourced, but that doesn’t mean it’s exact.

Players report Tuesday and will have their first practice on Wednesday.

QB: Hudson Card / Quinn Ewers

Notes: Maalik Murphy is No. 3 but that could largely be to expedite his development. Texas staff loves the potential and a Pac 12 staff recently echoed the same to IT sources. But, there is some bust potential, or perhaps just poor timing.

RB: Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson/Jonathon Brooks, Jaydon Blue

Notes: We did the full depth chart at running back because Brooks/Robinson took @malaise ‘s mom to third base and it had him feeling Blue.

WR: Isaiah Neyor (boundary), Jordan Whittington (slot machine), Xavier Worthy (field) / Troy Omeire (boundary), Brenen Thompson (slot), Agiye Hall (field)

Notes: Loaded position but don’t get too caught up in designations. Neyor, Worthy, and Hall are moving about the field.

TE: Ja’Tavion Sanders (TE), Jahleel Billingsley (Y-TE) / Gunnar Helm (TE), Juan Davis (Y-TE)

Notes: A big camp storyline will be what becomes the dominant offensive personnel package. Will it be 11 or 12, or a combination thereof with a sprinkling of 20. A couple sources have mentioned 20 and 12 being more dangerous than 11 when the staff looks to motion players around.

OL: Andrej Karic (LT), Junior Angilau (LG), Jake Majors (C), Hayden Conner (RG), Christian Jones (RT) / Kelvin Banks (LT), Cole Hutson (RG), Junior Angilau (C), Sawyer Goram-Welch(RG), Cam Williams (RT)

Notes: Because of youth, second team is a crapshoot. Because of infused talent, so is the first team. August should be interesting, but September will be too. Hutson is also repping center. Jaylen Garth deserves a mention.

DE: Moro Ojomo, Barryn Sorrell
NT: Keondre Coburn, Byron Murphy
DT: Alfred Collins, T’Vondre Sweat
Buck: Ovie Oghoufo, Jett Bush

Notes: We feel good about the info we’ve heard to this point as far as the two-deep, but we’re still uncertain how the front will play out when it comes to DE/Jack/Buck. They could struggle to find the right combination of run-stopping, assignment ball, and pass-rush. This is a big camp for defensive identity.

Some asked why I didn’t have Collins as a ‘break out‘ candidate. I felt he showed so much as a freshman his sophomore year was a slump. His career could mirror Alex Okafor’s. Recall, Okafor was played out of position his sophomore year as well.

LB: Jaylan Ford (Mike), De’Marvion Overshown (Will), David Gbenda OR Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (Sam) / Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (Mike), David Gbenda (Will)

Notes: Defensive identity seems in limbo. How often is Sam on the field? That will tell us a lot.

Star: Jahdae Barron, Michael Taaffe

Notes: If Taaffe blankets receivers like he does Arch he’ll see the field this year. Barron could be the best DB this season, but we’re curious about learning curve at nickel.

Corner: D’Shawn Jamison (field) and Ryan Watts (boundary) / Jamier Johnson (field) and Jaylon Guilbeau (boundary)

Notes: Guilbeau also reps at Star and answered a lot of questions about speed(ing) this spring. True freshman Terrance Brooks is still at corner and is in the thick of two-deep. We’ll also look for Ishmael Ibraheem mentions.

Safety: Anthony Cook (boundary) and Jerrin Thompson (field) / JD Coffey (boundary) and Kitan Crawford (field)

Notes: It might be a three man weave between Cook, Thompson, and Crawford. Coffey is a combo of Cook and Thompson. Watch for a BJ Allen move this month.

PR: D’Shawn Jamison / Xavier Worthy

Notes: They’re too athletic to not make some house-calls from punt return. You know Jeff Banks will be scheming it up.

KR: D’Shawn Jamison and Roschon Johnson / Xavier Worthy and Keilan Robinson

Notes: Jaydon Blue is also getting a look. If he gets North/South like Roschon he’ll be special as a returner.

Finally, as I pour over the depth chart it’s worth noting there will be attrition after this season from players the staff doesn’t want to lose. That’s a solid reminder roster depth is trending in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

Tap the brakes a bit. No way should a frosh olinemen be a starter prior to putting the pads on. I wouldn’t worry about 2nd team either.

As for Coburn/Murphy, it doesn’t matter much who starts. Coburn is coming off his most impactful half of football in 2021 vs KState too. Really same for Ovie.

But an unofficial depth chart prior to practice and pads coming on doesn’t mean that much.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Tap the brakes a bit. No way should a frosh olinemen be a starter prior to putting the pads on. I wouldn’t worry about 2nd team either.

As for Coburn/Murphy, it doesn’t matter much who starts. Coburn is coming off his most impactful half of football in 2021 vs KState too. Really same for Ovie.

But an unofficial depth chart prior to practice and pads coming on doesn’t mean that much.

<Christian Jones gif here>

33 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Karic starting at LT and no Devon Campbell in the two deep?

Coburn starting over Murphy?

If Goram Welch is Campbell’s primary competition for 2nd team RG, that spot is right there for the taking 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop:

Here’s our best guess at pre-camp two-deep. Of course when we say best guess it’s heavily sourced, but that doesn’t mean it’s exact.

Players report Tuesday and will have their first practice on Wednesday.

QB: Hudson Card / Quinn Ewers

Notes: Maalik Murphy is No. 3 but that could largely be to expedite his development. Texas staff loves the potential and a Pac 12 staff recently echoed the same to IT sources. But, there is some bust potential, or perhaps just poor timing.

RB: Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson/Jonathon Brooks, Jaydon Blue

Notes: We did the full depth chart at running back because Brooks/Robinson took @malaise ‘s mom to third base and it had him feeling Blue.

WR: Isaiah Neyor (boundary), Jordan Whittington (slot machine), Xavier Worthy (field) / Troy Omeire (boundary), Brenen Thompson (slot), Agiye Hall (field)

Notes: Loaded position but don’t get too caught up in designations. Neyor, Worthy, and Hall are moving about the field.

TE: Ja’Tavion Sanders (TE), Jahleel Billingsley (Y-TE) / Gunnar Helm (TE), Juan Davis (Y-TE)

Notes: A big camp storyline will be what becomes the dominant offensive personnel package. Will it be 11 or 12, or a combination thereof with a sprinkling of 20. A couple sources have mentioned 20 and 12 being more dangerous than 11 when the staff looks to motion players around.

OL: Andrej Karic (LT), Junior Angilau (LG), Jake Majors (C), Hayden Conner (RG), Christian Jones (RT) / Kelvin Banks (LT), Cole Hutson (RG), Junior Angilau (C), Sawyer Goram-Welch(RG), Cam Williams (RT)

Notes: Because of youth, second team is a crapshoot. Because of infused talent, so is the first team. August should be interesting, but September will be too. Hutson is also repping center. Jaylen Garth deserves a mention.

DE: Moro Ojomo, Barryn Sorrell
NT: Keondre Coburn, Byron Murphy
DT: Alfred Collins, T’Vondre Sweat
Buck: Ovie Oghoufo, Jett Bush

Notes: We feel good about the info we’ve heard to this point as far as the two-deep, but we’re still uncertain how the front will play out when it comes to DE/Jack/Buck. They could struggle to find the right combination of run-stopping, assignment ball, and pass-rush. This is a big camp for defensive identity.

Some asked why I didn’t have Collins as a ‘break out‘ candidate. I felt he showed so much as a freshman his sophomore year was a slump. His career could mirror Alex Okafor’s. Recall, Okafor was played out of position his sophomore year as well.

LB: Jaylan Ford (Mike), De’Marvion Overshown (Will), David Gbenda OR Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (Sam) / Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (Mike), David Gbenda (Will)

Notes: Defensive identity seems in limbo. How often is Sam on the field? That will tell us a lot.

Star: Jahdae Barron, Michael Taaffe

Notes: If Taaffe blankets receivers like he does Arch he’ll see the field this year. Barron could be the best DB this season, but we’re curious about learning curve at nickel.

Corner: D’Shawn Jamison (field) and Ryan Watts (boundary) / Jamier Johnson (field) and Jaylon Guilbeau (boundary)

Notes: Guilbeau also reps at Star and answered a lot of questions about speed(ing) this spring. True freshman Terrance Brooks is still at corner and is in the thick of two-deep. We’ll also look for Ishmael Ibraheem mentions.

Safety: Anthony Cook (boundary) and Jerrin Thompson (field) / JD Coffey (boundary) and Kitan Crawford (field)

Notes: It might be a three man weave between Cook, Thompson, and Crawford. Coffey is a combo of Cook and Thompson. Watch for a BJ Allen move this month.

PR: D’Shawn Jamison / Xavier Worthy

Notes: They’re too athletic to not make some house-calls from punt return. You know Jeff Banks will be scheming it up.

KR: D’Shawn Jamison and Roschon Johnson / Xavier Worthy and Keilan Robinson

Notes: Jaydon Blue is also getting a look. If he gets North/South like Roschon he’ll be special as a returner.

Finally, as I pour over the depth chart it’s worth noting there will be attrition after this season from players the staff doesn’t want to lose. That’s a solid reminder roster depth is trending in the right direction.

Ojomo as DE is a knife to the my dreams. He is OK, but having a HS NG at DE is telling. Rather see Collins there. He at least adds hope. 

I thought Jet Bush was moved to ILB? 

Thompson/Cook Safety combo is slow. Hoping Kitan can get up to speed and bring some athleticism to the position. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Ojomo as DE is a knife to the my dreams. He is OK, but having a HS NG at DE is telling. Rather see Collins there. He at least adds hope. 

I thought Jet Bush was moved to ILB? 

Thompson/Cook Safety combo is slow. Hoping Kitan can get up to speed and bring some athleticism to the position. 

I would rather not play Alfred Collins out of position like we did all of last year. Half the battle is putting guys in the correct spots, which we failed to do last year. Moving Collins back to DE, Cook to safety, Crawford to safety, DMO to edge and Barron to nickel are all steps in the right direction in that regard.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would rather not play Alfred Collins out of position like we did all of last year. Half the battle is putting guys in the correct spots, which we failed to do last year. Moving Collins back to DE, Cook to safety, Crawford to safety, DMO to edge and Barron to nickel are all steps in the right direction in that regard.

I am not sure I follow. Collins is at DT in this write up. I dont think Collins is out of position at DT, but I would like to see a 3 man DL look something like Collins(DE), Murphy (NT), and Sweat (DT). That is probably the most talented group, Texas can put out there. Motors on Sweat and Collins might decide if that is possible. It's not that Ojomo is terrible, it is just that I know what to expect there. He will give you competent play with very little play making. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not sure I follow. Collins is at DT in this write up. I dont think Collins is out of position at DT, but I would like to see a 3 man DL look something like Collins(DE), Murphy (NT), and Sweat (DT). That is probably the most talented group, Texas can put out there. Motors on Sweat and Collins might decide if that is possible. It's not that Ojomo is terrible, it is just that I know what to expect there. He will give you competent play with very little play making. 

They tried Collins at DE last year before switching him back to DT and then kicking him out to DE again we they switched to the 3-down looks halfway through the season. I’m saying I would much rather have him at his natural position at DT then having him bounce around and play out of position again.

And if Ojomo can give us competent play at DE like you said, sign me up.

21 hours ago, Nivek said:

Suck that kool-aid.  

the Texas defense was the #52 DFEI offense last year. they need to be better.

51 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They tried Collins at DE last year before switching him back to DT and then kicking him out to DE again we they switched to the 3-down looks halfway through the season. I’m saying I would much rather have him at his natural position at DT then having him bounce around and play out of position again.

I think Collins has the athleticism to play DT/DE. The kid is natural 4i. That is what he was recruited for and the spot every analyst gushed over his potential. IF guys are going to play in the NFL, playing  a shade over isnt going to change your production from future NFL player to jag. I like the idea of putting everyone in the absolute perfect spot for them to succeed, but that isnt reality for Texas and 90% of teams. Sometimes getting your most talented line-up on the field, trumps getting every individual in the best position. I think Collins and Sweat will set the ceiling for the defense. Both are very talented and likely NFL players, but inconsistent. Put Murphy's motor in Collins and Sweat and this defense is much different

• Like 1

Bo is going to have to earn his salary and find a way to keep Sweat and Collins’ motor running. Those two with Murphy would change a lot of thoughts for this defense. Ford and Dorsey are upgrades at LB because we honestly had the worst LB in the Big 12. 

how old is Ojomo now?

7 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Bo is going to have to earn his salary and find a way to keep Sweat and Collins’ motor running. Those two with Murphy would change a lot of thoughts for this defense. Ford and Dorsey are upgrades at LB because we honestly had the worst LB in the Big 12. 

how old is Ojomo now?

I dont think the LBs are the worst. Ford was makign progress. Overshown is one of the most talented LBs in the country. He hasnt put it together or stayed healthy,  but the talent is there. I have said that the faults compounded the poor play. There wasnt a group on defense that made anyone better. It was a negative multiplier. Just getting average play on the edges will make the LBs look much better. The defense actually was not bad vs the inside run game. It was was brutal vs outside run game. Unfortunately, not everyone decided to be nice like KSU and mostly attack inside. 

On 7/18/2022 at 12:31 PM, LTtxfan said:

2 Weeks from Thursday...  🤘

*We’re closing in on football. IT has learned the first day of fall camp will be August 4th. Before then, the team will get a short break from the end of July before reporting back on August 3rd

On 7/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Hudson Standish at 247 said fall camp starts on August 2nd

Last Week Taylor reported...

Screenshot_20220727-100518_kindlephoto-7254653.png

FBD reports today...

Last Week for the WIN @someguy 

someguy:  i can confirm this.  Report 8/2, camp starts 8/3.  Scrimmages 8/13 and 8/20.  Fan appreciation 8/16 (night practice).

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I dont think the LBs are the worst. Ford was makign progress. Overshown is one of the most talented LBs in the country. He hasnt put it together or stayed healthy,  but the talent is there. I have said that the faults compounded the poor play. There wasnt a group on defense that made anyone better. It was a negative multiplier. Just getting average play on the edges will make the LBs look much better. The defense actually was not bad vs the inside run game. It was was brutal vs outside run game. Unfortunately, not everyone decided to be nice like KSU and mostly attack inside. 

Overshown is a great athlete. Not a good LB up to this point. He hasn’t shown he is good at LB things. He is good in space but attacking and fighting off/through blockers? Making the right reads and gap integrity? Not saying he can’t improve with his first fulL offseason, just up to now he makes the flash plays but not the consistency needed from a top flight LB.

Luke knew where to be but he is just limited as an athlete so he can’t get there. 

I remember people being excited about Richardson transferring in, but never heard anything about him once he got here. Anybody know what happened? Was he a guy that should have stayed in a lower division?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

Overshown is a great athlete. Not a good LB up to this point. He hasn’t shown he is good at LB things. He is good in space but attacking and fighting off/through blockers? Making the right reads and gap integrity? Not saying he can’t improve with his first fulL offseason, just up to now he makes the flash plays but not the consistency needed from a top flight LB.

Luke knew where to be but he is just limited as an athlete so he can’t get there. 

I remember people being excited about Richardson transferring in, but never heard anything about him once he got here. Anybody know what happened? Was he a guy that should have stayed in a lower division?

Overshown has shown he can play in space, he can blitz, and if sees ball and chases ball he is good. 

This was evidenced by a recent two-round 2023 NFL Mock Draft from USA Today Draft Wire. The latest two-round 2023 mock draft from the USA Today Draft Wire slotted Overshown as the No. 48 overall pick in the second round to the Miami Dolphins.

I have consistently criticized his ability to make timely reads, that said we have to give him some credit. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Overshown has shown he can play in space, he can blitz, and if sees ball and chases ball he is good. 

I have consistently criticized his ability to make timely reads, that said we have to give him some credit. 

I don’t think he is terrible. I think he is overhyped and good at things outside of what his position asked for. Pairing him with Brock made it worse. I also agree that our defense didn’t help him at all. We looked ok until Jones went down. It went down hill after that. 

I hope he balls this year and gets drafted high. Curious to see if having better line play or moving him around let’s him flourish. I believe that Ford will be our best LB this year. 

2 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I don’t think he is terrible. I think he is overhyped and good at things outside of what his position asked for. Pairing him with Brock made it worse. I also agree that our defense didn’t help him at all. We looked ok until Jones went down. It went down hill after that. 

I hope he balls this year and gets drafted high. Curious to see if having better line play or moving him around let’s him flourish. I believe that Ford will be our best LB this year. 

My point was that there was terrible gap integrity on the defense, that generally emanated from the edge (and LBs on misdirection). That made everyone look worse. LBs (and safeties) had more field to cover and wider spaces to defend

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Agree with all this. Overshown was just as bad as Brockermeyer last year but people see him flash every few games and it skews perception. Like you said, he has the athleticism to do stuff LB’s shouldn’t be able to do, but the mundane stuff that all LB’s should be able to do wasn’t clicking fully. He ran himself out of so many plays. I don’t think he possesses the ability to short through the pile and find ball carriers, which is why the move to more of an edge like well will likely unlock some of what we’ve been hoping to see from him the last few years.

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

and if sees ball and chases ball he is good. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2022-nfl-draft-disappointing-college-football-draft-prospects-2021-spencer-rattler-kedon-slovis

LB DEMARVION OVERSHOWN, TEXAS

Overshown already had a hill to climb as a mold-breaker type of linebacker, as very few 6-foot-4 and 223-pound guys have been able to stick it at linebacker in the NFL.

Unsurprisingly, the physicality of playing between the tackles has been an issue for him this season. He’s missed seven tackles on 39 attempts and earned a putrid 43.9 run-defense grade. While his length still plays in coverage, he’d be a liability as a traditional linebacker in the NFL today.

• Rage+1 1

I’ve seen him play end and set the edge. He can stuff the run from there. Then has enough athleticism to win battles against right tackles in the pass game. But he needs a position.

Opposite Collins we dont yet have a Buck who can set the edge in the run game, but if you have Collins + 2 tackles you add some problems for the offensive line and stabilize the run fits.

I’d have Collins-Ojomo at end. Sorrells plays end and big buck. Stop something. Let your back 7 learn their coverages and gain confidence without having running backs running untouched into the secondary 7-10x per game.