2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

From FCB

we’ll get to the quarterbacks in a minute. Let’s start with the big boys up front trying to protect those QBs.

* At least for the first spring practice of 2022, your first-team offensive line was:

Andrej Karic at left tackle, Junior Angilau at left guard, Jake Majors at center, Hayden Conner at right guard and Christian Jones at right tackle.

The second-team O-line:

Jaylen Garth at left tackle, Max Merrill at left guard, Logan Parr at center, Cole Hutson at right guard and walk-ons Michael Balis and Chad Wolf at right tackle.

Sawyer Goram-Welch, who made the move from defensive line to offensive line this off-season, was working at center on Tuesday.

* Speaking of position switches, Jett Bush, an edge rusher last season, was working Tuesday at linebacker, where DeMarvion Overshown and Jaylan Ford were running with the ones, and David Gbenda and Devin Richardson were running with the twos, followed by Jaden Hullaby and Bush.

* The players who were working with trainers off to the side of the field on Tuesday: Troy Omeire, Jamier Johnson, Jaden Alexis and Juan Davis.

Quarterback Maalik Murphy (ankle) was also observing practice.

* At tight end, Ja'Tavion Sanders and Gunnar Helm were alternating running with the first team, while Jahleel Billingsley and Brayden Liebrock were alternating with the second team.

* At safety, Anthony Cook and Jerrin Thompson were running with the ones while JD Coffey, Morice Blackwell and Kitan Crawford rotated with the twos.

* At cornerback, D'Shawn Jamison and Ohio State transfer Ryan Watts were running with the first team, while Terrance Brooks and Jaylon Guilbeau were running with the second team.

* At running back, the reps in drills went in this order: Bijan Robinson, Roschon Johnson, Keilan Robinson, Jaydon Blue and Jonathon Brooks (who missed some time during the off-season with a shoulder injury).

* At receiver, the three working with the first team were Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington and Wyoming transfer Isaiah Neyor, followed by Marcus Washington, Kelvontay Dixon and Casey Cain.

1COMMENTS

* At quarterback, Hudson Card got the first reps with the first-team offense, followed by redshirt freshman transfer Quinn Ewers. Walk-on Ben Ballard got the third-team reps, followed by Charles Wright and Cole Lourd.

Both quarterbacks were putting the ball on the money during individual drills.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah, sorry I'm not going to listen to an Aaron Rodgers off season comp again.

The funniest (maybe funny isn't the right word) part of that is it was someone from Herman's staff who told that to The Athletic, not anyone who is on this staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Joe Cook/Inside Texas

Inside Texas was on hand for a brief viewing window at the beginning of the first of 15 Texas Longhorns spring football practices. A few notes from the festivities at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.

First thing’s first, a look at the offensive line considering that was the position group right in front of the media vantage in the north end zone. While the O-line was doing individual drills, the rest of the skill players were working on ball security with one offensive player trying to fend off the attempts of 1-2 defensive players to strip the ball away.

1st team L-R: Andrej Karic – Junior Angilau – Jake Majors – Hayden Conner – Christian Jones
2nd team L-R: Jaylen Garth – Max Merril – Sawyer Goram-Welch – Cole Hutson – Michael Balis (walk-on)

Logan Parr and Chad Wolf (walk-on) found work at center and right tackle, respectively. Angilau also practiced snapping a few times.

The group worked on aiming points for inside and outside zone against different fronts and defensive line alignments. Kyle Flood was spirited in his instruction as always, with athletic director Chris Del Conte and director of high school relations Chris Gilbert looking on.

At quarterback, Hudson Card took the first rep in drills, followed in order by Quinn Ewers, Ben Ballard, Charles Wright, and Cole Lourd. They worked on a variety of skills with position coach AJ Milwee including proper handoff footwork with the running backs, play-action fakes, and RPO-type throws where pulling the ball from the back’s gut is necessary. Maalik Murphy was in a boot, the result of an injury suffered during his state championship.

At running back, Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson were the top two. They were followed by Keilan Robinson and Jonathon Brooks. Jaydon Blue and walk-on Anton Simieou rounded out the unit. Blue and Brooks later swapped places in other drills.

After individual drills, receivers, backs, and tight ends joined up for some group work. The outside receivers ran routes on air, “reading” one defender and hauling in passes from the QB group. The outside receiver combos were

1st: Marcus Washington and Xavier Worthy
2nd: Casey Cain and Kelvontay Dixon
3rd: Isaiah Neyor and Thatcher Milton (walk-on)
4th: Paxton Anderson and Gus Asei (walk-ons)

For tight ends and inside receivers, the group looked like:

1st: Ja’Tavion Sanders and Jordan Whittington
2nd: Gunnar Helm and Dajon Harrison
3rd: Brayden Liebrock and Parker Alford (walk-on)
4th: Jahleel Billingsley and a walk-on.
5th: Nathan Hatter (walk-on)

Overall, there were not a noticeable amount of dropped balls during the viewing period.

Billingsley’s looks as slender as his 6-foot-4, 216-pound listing indicates.

Juan Davis was seen during the warm-up periods but not participating in drills. Troy Omeire and several others nursing injury were off to the side doing calisthenics while individual and group work was taking place.

It wasn’t easy to get a look at the defensive side of things considering they were on the opposite side of the stadium where the media was stationed. But during punt return, the first and only guys fielding Isaac Pearson’s punts were D’Shawn Jamison and Xavier Worthy. Pearson offered good kicks, but some of the snaps were very poor.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

1st team L-R: Andrej Karic – Junior Angilau – Jake Majors – Hayden Conner – Christian Jones
2nd team L-R: Jaylen Garth – Max Merril – Sawyer Goram-Welch – Cole Hutson – Michael Balis (walk-on)

Yikes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

53 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

* At receiver, the three working with the first team were Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington and Wyoming transfer Isaiah Neyor, followed by Marcus Washington, Kelvontay Dixon and Casey Cain.

A little bit of a drop off from first team to second huh. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I could  care fucking less how hudson card looks in practice.

i remember last year's spring game, i remember watching hudson make this throw. from the stands, i had the perfect view of the play breaking and his throw. he made the throw before the receiver broke and got behind the db. i remembered thinking, got damned i haven't seen a texas QB make a throw like that in a decade. i remember thinking we finally found our qb and that all would finally be right in the world.

and then the season happened.....never saw a throw like that again.

i will get mocked and ridiculed but i still have faith in card. he will not be the started when it's said and done, but he needs to really do well and push ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i will get mocked and ridiculed but i still have faith in card. he will not be the started when it's said and done, but he needs to really do well and push ewers. 

The list of redshirt freshman who looked terrible early in their career and improved is a mile long. Whoever starts at QB will also benefit from improved weapons around him. I don't expect him to start, but at the same time I'm not writing off his entire career because he had a handful of bad quarters out of the 10 or 11 quarters he played last season.

Competition is good and should push both of them.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i remember last year's spring game, i remember watching hudson make this throw. from the stands, i had the perfect view of the play breaking and his throw. he made the throw before the receiver broke and got behind the db. i remembered thinking, got damned i haven't seen a texas QB make a throw like that in a decade. i remember thinking we finally found our qb and that all would finally be right in the world.

He made a great throw in WV game. After a rocky first series or 2, he looked pretty good in that game. That is Card in a nutshell. Talented QB with great physical tools, but delicate psyche. When things go wrong, he just goes off the rails. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-flagship-former-longhorn-josh-thompson-talks/id1279981104?i=1000554721664

Yes, it is Chip Brown, but this was a good interview with Josh Thompson. He talked about walking into the facility last week and seeing guys much happier and way more excited than last season. Talked about a few specific guys he expected to step up.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

SEZ looks as full as any gameday

Don't want to get crushed for this but after giving it a chance for a season, I wish we had a traditional (normal) looking end zone. Without a giant longhorn head carved out in the middle. 

• Hook 'Em 5

20 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He made a great throw in WV game. After a rocky first series or 2, he looked pretty good in that game. That is Card in a nutshell. Talented QB with great physical tools, but delicate psyche. When things go wrong, he just goes off the rails. 

Would love to have seen how that game plays out if he doesn’t get hurt at the end…first time I have seen him find a rhythm against a competent opponent.

38 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

The thing you did not consider is that our defense could not pressure the QB at all and Card can make some nice throws when not under pressure.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nope said:

Would love to have seen how that game plays out if he doesn’t get hurt at the end…first time I have seen him find a rhythm against a competent opponent.

but even that was so Card. He came in looked rough. Threw a bad pass that was tipped on 3rd down and luckily went to a WR for a 1st down. Then he was a new QB. While I would expect highs and lows from a freshman QB, his lows were scary. He isnt a foregone conclusion, but its going to be hard to trust him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-flagship-former-longhorn-josh-thompson-talks/id1279981104?i=1000554721664

Yes, it is Chip Brown, but this was a good interview with Josh Thompson. He talked about walking into the facility last week and seeing guys much happier and way more excited than last season. Talked about a few specific guys he expected to step up.

A few days into spring practice and it has started. The 9.95ers selling all that is different this time around to give us hope.

it-wasnt-koolaid.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The "bite as a pup" deal comes into play. We started an injured Casey Thompson most of the year as opposed to Card. 

I'm trying to think of a Texas QB who looked like shit as a freshman but got it turned around. Can't. 

Yeah, this just a redshirt freshman stuff is so dumb. 2nd year QBs are ready to play in this day and age, and it’s not like Card just made inexperienced mistakes. He shits himself every time there’s pressure. That’s completely different. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The "bite as a pup" deal comes into play. We started an injured Casey Thompson most of the year as opposed to Card. 

I'm trying to think of a Texas QB who looked like shit as a freshman but got it turned around. Can't. 

Card looked pretty bad against arkansas, but the way he played against Kansas was likely the proof in the pudding for him

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don’t think he looked like shit (and not a freshman) but 3rd year soph Colt was pretty average after a great Freshman year. Then he was the best qb in the country the next season. 

I do not expect the same out of Card. 

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Joe Cook/Inside Texas

Inside Texas was on hand for a brief viewing window at the beginning of the first of 15 Texas Longhorns spring football practices. A few notes from the festivities at Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.

First thing’s first, a look at the offensive line considering that was the position group right in front of the media vantage in the north end zone. While the O-line was doing individual drills, the rest of the skill players were working on ball security with one offensive player trying to fend off the attempts of 1-2 defensive players to strip the ball away.

Logan Parr and Chad Wolf (walk-on) found work at center and right tackle, respectively. Angilau also practiced snapping a few times.

The group worked on aiming points for inside and outside zone against different fronts and defensive line alignments. Kyle Flood was spirited in his instruction as always, with athletic director Chris Del Conte and director of high school relations Chris Gilbert looking on.

At quarterback, Hudson Card took the first rep in drills, followed in order by Quinn Ewers, Ben Ballard, Charles Wright, and Cole Lourd. They worked on a variety of skills with position coach AJ Milwee including proper handoff footwork with the running backs, play-action fakes, and RPO-type throws where pulling the ball from the back’s gut is necessary. Maalik Murphy was in a boot, the result of an injury suffered during his state championship.

At running back, Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson were the top two. They were followed by Keilan Robinson and Jonathon Brooks. Jaydon Blue and walk-on Anton Simieou rounded out the unit. Blue and Brooks later swapped places in other drills.

After individual drills, receivers, backs, and tight ends joined up for some group work. The outside receivers ran routes on air, “reading” one defender and hauling in passes from the QB group. The outside receiver combos were

1st: Marcus Washington and Xavier Worthy
2nd: Casey Cain and Kelvontay Dixon
3rd: Isaiah Neyor and Thatcher Milton (walk-on)
4th: Paxton Anderson and Gus Asei (walk-ons)

For tight ends and inside receivers, the group looked like:

1st: Ja’Tavion Sanders and Jordan Whittington
2nd: Gunnar Helm and Dajon Harrison
3rd: Brayden Liebrock and Parker Alford (walk-on)
4th: Jahleel Billingsley and a walk-on.
5th: Nathan Hatter (walk-on)

Overall, there were not a noticeable amount of dropped balls during the viewing period.

Billingsley’s looks as slender as his 6-foot-4, 216-pound listing indicates.

Juan Davis was seen during the warm-up periods but not participating in drills. Troy Omeire and several others nursing injury were off to the side doing calisthenics while individual and group work was taking place.

It wasn’t easy to get a look at the defensive side of things considering they were on the opposite side of the stadium where the media was stationed. But during punt return, the first and only guys fielding Isaac Pearson’s punts were D’Shawn Jamison and Xavier Worthy. Pearson offered good kicks, but some of the snaps were very poor.

a wild Jaylen Garth appeared!

53 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Don't want to get crushed for this but after giving it a chance for a season, I wish we had a traditional (normal) looking end zone. Without a giant longhorn head carved out in the middle. 

So we can have even more empty seats.  No thanks.  

Joe Cook - Injuries

Steve Sarkisian reported "nothing today" when asked about injuries following Texas' first practice of 2022. He did provide some clarity on the status of other Longhorn players.

When asked about wide receiver Troy Omeire, who had season-ending surgery on September 30, 2021, he mentioned he does not expect him to be able to participate in spring practices.

"He's on his rehab program," Sarkisian said. "Jaden Alexis is on his rehab program. Luke Brockermeyer is on his program, so nothing new today."

That trio was seen on the side doing individual callisthenic work.

Sarkisian also mentioned Juan Davis "has a little bit of a strain," and that holding him out of practice on Tuesday was "precautionary." Davis was not seen with the tight ends during practice but was present during warmups.

"We go through spring ball maybe different than others," Sarkisian said. "We do it over a five-week span, so we do three practices a week for five weeks. A couple of the guys that have a little bit of a strain, (Davis), Jamier Johnson, I don't want to press them in too quickly and then not have them for the duration. If we can get them 100 percent, whether it's by Saturday or into next week, they've still got four weeks in spring ball to really improve. That's our mindset. Other things may pop up that we do the same with some other guys."

As mentioned in this morning's notes, freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy is currently in an ankle boot after suffering an injury during his state championship game. Sarkisian still praised Murphy for what he's shown so far even though he hasn't been an active participant.

"Maalik is a great worker," Sarkisian said. "He's got unbelievable work ethic. He's very attentive in meetings. He's attentive at practice. The mental reps are critical, but there's nothing like actually doing it. We're obviously looking forward to getting him back on the field. He's a talented guy, but I like his desire to want to be good. Ultimately, we've got to get him on the field and get him going."

Texas practices again on Thursday morning.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Nope said:

I am too depressed about our o-line to go full offseason optimistic psycho, so I am channeling all of my irrational optimism into Ja’Tavion Sanders and what will surely be a first team All American season.

3 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

I might finally be allergic to the kool-aid. This roster remains hot garbage, change my mind.gif

not going after grad transfer OL is very concerning and a mistake IMO....at least short term.

They can't risk another season similar to last.

LB recruiting and portal has been as bad as OL portal. Safety is concerning.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to 2022 Spring Practice: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Shitwater)
  • BurntOrange&White changed the title to 2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic